PDA

View Full Version : SKS Sporter magazine question

platoonDaddy
02-27-13, 20:48
I have a Norino SKS Sporter 16" barrel that I purchased new in 92 or 93 that fires AK Magazines. With all the crap going on in MD with AWB, if I install a fixed magazine of 10 or less, I won't be required to register.

Purchased a SKS 10 round fixed magazine off eBay and it doesn't fit. It is one designed for the SKS that doesn't use AK magazines.

Anyone know if there is a fixed magazine for the Norino SKS Sporter with 16" barrel?

Thank you

EDIT: forgot to add - this is the model without the bayonet lug and no bolt hold.

Dunderway
02-27-13, 23:57
I have owned several different SKSs and have never seen such a product. Things usually run the other way (Bubba wanting to turn his SKS into an AK). Will the AK mag Norincos accept a stripper clip from the top? If so, you could look into pinning/welding a ten round AK mag into it. The original SKS mag configuration (all of the parts) may work, but you would probably also need to open up the stock to accept them.

Sorry, but that is the best answer I can provide, other than just selling it while they are going for twice as much as they should.

ETA: I would field strip your rifle and Google an exploded view of a traditional SKS. You should be able to see if the normal SKS mag parts will work. The parts turn up cheaply from all of the people that converted their SKSs to those garbage 30 rnd mags that were all the rage in the 90s.

texasgunhand
02-28-13, 00:44
I know you dont want to REG. your sks but he may be right and selling or trading it for a 10 rnd. fixed mag sks. It was bought before anything went through, so it should still be ok to own. I bought mine in 1990s, I could never figure out the bayonet thing??? i can have the rifle but not a pointy stick on the end of it??? THAT totally makes sense...lol..You just never hear of mass pointy stick attacks...

chg380
02-28-13, 01:04
Its probably a D or M model, the bolt carrier does not have the notches for the stripper clips. I would try to find a 10 round sks mag, no sure if such a part exists. You could also sell it and buy an sks with the fixed 10 rounder.

Turner NZ
02-28-13, 04:22
I'm with chg sell it or trade with someone that has a fixed mag. I would trade with you but er I'm in new zealand :D

sent from my G3 using tapatalk 2

platoonDaddy
02-28-13, 05:10
Its probably a D or M model, the bolt carrier does not have the notches for the stripper clips. I would try to find a 10 round sks mag, no sure if such a part exists. You could also sell it and buy an sks with the fixed 10 rounder.

Did some google research and Norino imported them to accept only AK magazines. Learned mine is the "M" version and that CA banned the SKS Sporter by name.

As previously stated, I did purchase a fixed SKS magazine from eBay and there is no way it will fit.

EDIT: Chinese commercial production: Blonde wood ("Chu wood"/"Qiu wood" = Catalpa wood)[9] stock instead of dark wood, spike bayonet instead of blade, bayonet retaining bolt replaced with a rivet. Sub-variants include the M21, "Cowboy's Companion", Hunter, Models D/M, Paratrooper, Sharpshooter, and Sporter. Model D rifles used military style stocks and had bayonet lugs (although some were imported eliminated bayonet, and some examples eliminated the lug in order to meet changing US import restrictions). Model M rifles had no bayonet lug and used either a thumb hole or Monte Carlo–style stock. Both model D and M used AK-47 magazines and as a result had no bolt hold open feature on the rifle.

Dave_M
02-28-13, 06:50
You have an SKS-M. It's a relatively rare variant (but not a Hen's tooth or anything). As you have found out, no, you can't just switch out regular SKS parts with one whilly-nilly. It has several non-standard parts.

While they tend to have reliability problems when using non-Chicomm magazines (if one can even get a Euro-pattern magazine to seat, that is...) they still are very desirable. If you want a fixed-10 SKS, I suggest selling your SKS-M to someone else and using the proceeds to buy a fixed-10 SKS.

Trade you straight across for one :dance3: