PDA

View Full Version : scope elevation adjustment problems

ace4059
02-28-13, 10:46
I bought a new Savage model 10 and installed a Leupold VX-III 6-20x50 on the rifle. I put a 1 piece 20 MOA Redfield Mount made by ATI on the gun. The Leupold scope and rings are what I have used on 5 different rifles and I have plenty of adjustment with them (scope has 90 MOA adjustment). So the only thing different is this base on the new gun.

Now my problem. When the gun is sighted in the scope elevation is maxed out to the bottom. The scope knob is turned all the way down for the gun to zero at 100 yds. I have plenty of up movement so for long range shooting I will have plenty of range, but for 100 yds it is turned all the way down. This puts a bind on the knobs and makes the windage knob hard to adjust. I do not want to strip out the scope adjustments.

So the only thing I can think of is the scope base is causing this. It maybe machined wrong and could have over 20 moa or could have been mislabled. Would a wrong scope base fit on a Savage model 10 short base? Only thing I can think of it is this base is for the regular Savage 10 and not for the Savage 10 accu-trigger. Would that effect it?

Any other potential problems I could be missing?

ace4059
02-28-13, 18:14
This kept bothering me today thinking about why the scope is so off.
I knew when I put my AAC can on the gun, then I will not have any adjustment left. I remounted the base and scope this afternoon. I noticed when I tighten the scope rings they rise up off of the mount base and try to separate off the base. When the rings were loose they would sit flush on the base, but when I tightened the screws the rings lifted up. I wanted to verify that the mount is out of spec. So I mounted my two Nightforce scopes on the Redfield mount and they have La Rue rings and when I clamped them down they were trying to separate off from the base.

The reason I went with a Redfield mount was because I thought it was the same scope company that is under Leupold. I learned today that Redfield Mounts and Redfield scopes are two different companies that are not affiliated with each other.

I tried to save money by buying a cheap mount and it didnt work out. I went ahead and ordered a Badger base and La Rue LT719 rings. Live and learn.