PDA

View Full Version : Lower receiver question.

ManuRyujin
02-28-13, 18:40
Hello, my first post here. Long time reader...

So you know where I'm coming from, I'm an active duty CPO in the CG. I'm no expert like a lot of the people on here, but I know a bit. I've just completed a build, which is my 7th AR. And here is the question...

I am not going to name the manufacturer, because I am actually a big fan of theirs, and not here to shame them. However, I bought an upper from them, and a lower. I slapped the upper on it, and immediately noticed what appeared to me to be a substantial gap between the upper and lower at the stern by the buffer tube. With a feeler gauge I was able to measure the gap at .023, with the buffer and plenty of light visible through the gap.

I have thought the threshold for "mil-spec" was .02 inches at any point between upper and lower. However, after sending the pictures of the measurements and inquiring if this was an acceptable gap for a premier manufacturer, they informed me in a round about way that unless the gap was on the horizontal plain that it doesn't matter. I tried Noveske, BCM, and DD uppers on the lower and have concluded the gap is definitely the fault of the lower. I like this manufacturer, and am inclined to believe what they say, but would like a few second opinions. I would like to stress I'm not here to defame any manufacturer.

Thanks a lot,

M.R.

NeoNeanderthal
02-28-13, 19:12
picture?

ManuRyujin
02-28-13, 19:24
Okay, figuring out how to add pictures here.......

Iraqgunz
02-28-13, 20:01
There is no check that I am aware for the fit between the upper and lower in that area. But, I agree it is excessive.

What is checked is the area between the upper and lower with a .020 feeler gage. It is inserted into the area where the front and rear lugs are located.

Obviously something is out of spec.

Your version of what you think is a "reputable" manufacturer may not be the same as everyone else. I suggest that you contact that company again and tell them to make it right.

ManuRyujin
02-28-13, 20:52
Thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate the info. I saw your website, semperparatusarms, checked it out. Perhaps we worked together at one point.