PDA

View Full Version : BUIS as only sight?

SIGfest
03-14-08, 23:26
Does anyone use a BUIS as their only rear sight? No Aimpoint, Eotech. Use it instead of a Detachible Tactical Handle, or Removable Handle? Interested in what you use if you do? Thanks

Hang-Fire
03-15-08, 00:36
My 9mm mid length rifle currently wears a DPMS detachable rear sight. I don't really like the sight, but it's all I have at the moment. I'm waiting for extra money to put a Troy folding rear sight on it. I have Troy sights on two of my other rifles. Those sights seem stout enough that it wouldn't bother me in the least to only use them.

Sam
03-15-08, 00:40
My KIS rifle has only a Larue rear sight + the front.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/BP_3_.jpg

tiger seven
03-15-08, 07:53
"Plain Jane" carbine with LMT BUIS only.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/DSCF0687.jpg

If I were running only a BUIS (no optics) I can't see any reason to use a folding sight. For me, that leaves two options: LMT or LaRue. As you can see, I have the LMT on the carbine pictured above. I have the LaRue on my SBR.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/DSCF0739.jpg

Both are excellent sights. Even with optics (at least the 1X kind) I like fixed BUIS. It's one less thing to worry about.

Derek

RDak
03-15-08, 08:35
Tiger: What model of sight is that Larue sight? Also, what base?

Thanks for any info.

tiger seven
03-15-08, 08:48
Tiger: What model of sight is that Larue sight? Also, what base?

Thanks for any info.

The LaRue BUIS is here: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29

Derek

C4IGrant
03-15-08, 08:52
Does anyone use a BUIS as their only rear sight? No Aimpoint, Eotech. Use it instead of a Detachible Tactical Handle, or Removable Handle? Interested in what you use if you do? Thanks

I do not. The reason is that a dot optic gives you a huge advantage over irons in speed and accuracy (especially at night where 70% of all crime occurs).

If you are going to use just irons, then at least get a Tritium front sight post. If you cannot afford this, use the Vickers method and smash a firefly to your front sight post. ;)

C4

jwalk84
03-15-08, 08:55
For a rear sight I don't think you can beat the LaRue BUIS. If you plan on running only the BUIS I would definately recommend getting a same plane rear aperture from XS sights.

As tiger seven said, I too believe the fixed BUIS is the way to go. The only time I would use a folding BUIS is if I were running a magnifier or other optic that was not compatible with a fixed BUIS.

tiger seven: nice carbines!

Justin

C4IGrant
03-15-08, 09:05
For a rear sight I don't think you can beat the LaRue BUIS. If you plan on running only the BUIS I would definately recommend getting a same plane rear aperture from XS sights.

As tiger seven said, I too believe the fixed BUIS is the way to go. The only time I would use a folding BUIS is if I were running a magnifier or other optic that was not compatible with a fixed BUIS.

tiger seven: nice carbines!

Justin

If was going with a fixed BUIS, the LT is the only choice IMHO. With that said, I much prefer flip ups. Remember that a flip up can be left in the up position, basically making it a fixed sight without the size and weight of a perm. fixed BUIS.

C4

NoBody
03-15-08, 09:08
I do not. The reason is that a dot optic gives you a huge advantage over irons in speed and accuracy (especially at night where 70% of all crime occurs).

I don't know about you, but my M4 isn't for "things that go bump in the night." That's what my "nightstand" 1911 and Surefire are for. ;)

C4IGrant
03-15-08, 09:20
I don't know about you, but my M4 isn't for "things that go bump in the night." That's what my "nightstand" 1911 and Surefire are for. ;)

Handgun is what you use to fight your way to your long gun. ;)

The M4 is SUPERIOR in everyway to ANY hand gun and should be your primary defensive tool.

C4

RDak
03-15-08, 09:31
Thank you Tiger. :)

One more question if you don't mind. What type of optic is that on your second rifle picture?

Thanks for any info.

Edit: Would that optic go good with a 14.5" permanent flash hider upper? I like how it looks.

rsilvers
03-15-08, 09:48
I do. I use the KAC 300 or 600 meter whenever possible. I don't like fixed ones as if I do want to put an optic there, they are in the way.

Lancelot
03-15-08, 10:11
I have used the LMT and the LaRue. Either would work just fine for me, and you too.

Here's an older pic of mine set up with the LaRue. I have an issue with my eyes, and until I get it fixed, I can't see a dot properly, so irons work well.

http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/slings_013c.sized.jpg

http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/slings_016c.sized.jpg

tiger seven
03-15-08, 10:36
Thank you Tiger. :)

One more question if you don't mind. What type of optic is that on your second rifle picture?

Thanks for any info.

Edit: Would that optic go good with a 14.5" permanent flash hider upper? I like how it looks.

Aimpoint Micro T-1 on the LaRue "high" mount. It's an amazing optic. I want to put one on everything I own. :D

Derek

MassMark
03-15-08, 10:41
If was going with a fixed BUIS, the LT is the only choice IMHO. With that said, I much prefer flip ups. Remember that a flip up can be left in the up position, basically making it a fixed sight without the size and weight of a perm. fixed BUIS.

C4

I agree - at least with a flip up, you have an option - whether you choose to exercise it or not is up to you, but once you go fixed - it's...well..fixed. I just installed a Troy BUIS set on my Troy MCS and bought a rear for my forthcoming AR-15 build. I am impressed with what a solid sight it is.

RDak
03-15-08, 10:49
Thanks again Tiger! :)

Edit: Here it is: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

Man, you'd be spending a bit of money if you had one on each rifle!!:D

Bradd_D
03-16-08, 00:13
http://i30.tinypic.com/24gk1p2.jpg

ST911
03-16-08, 09:24

Many do.

I recommend that folks that are buying rifles, but are undecided on, or unable to acquire optics, spec their guns with a fixed BUIS as an interim solution. Larue BUIS is my preference, others are serviceable too.

KevinB
03-16-08, 10:39
I ran a LMT BIS for a few weeks when my EOThing shit the bed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Army%20stuff/DKSBSF.jpg

I'm not a big fan of irons only for various reasons -- but they can work if you can accept their limitations

Erick Gelhaus
03-16-08, 11:30
Went through the four days and one evening of squad designated marksman with only the Matech BUIS and the FSA. Not something I'd willingly do again, though it was doable.

SIGfest
03-16-08, 11:42
Also, would you prefer fixed vs. foldable BUIS if you went that way without optics.

C4IGrant
03-16-08, 12:02
Also, would you prefer fixed vs. foldable BUIS if you went that way without optics.

Folding as they tend to be smaller and lighter. They are also going to give you more flexibility if you change your mind and get an optic (as we all tend to do).

C4

Submariner
03-16-08, 17:21
I ran a LMT BIS for a few weeks when my EOThing shit the bed.

I'm not a big fan of irons only for various reasons -- but they can work if you can accept their limitations

Should have had an Aimpoint...;)

"A man's got to know his limitations..." Harry Callahan

KevinB
03-16-08, 22:29
Should have had an Aimpoint...;)

Yes in a Larue mount...

I've fixed those oversights in the last 5 years...

jasonb
03-17-08, 16:10
I am slowly building an LMT, and I only have a Matech sight for now. I don't know how long it will be until I can get an Aimpoint(my wife has hinted that as soon as hell freezes over). If you're doing it due to budget concerns so you can still enjoy your rifle, or to make it more compact, go for it.

Zanshin
03-17-08, 20:18
I had this same question, and was wondering on the the LaRue vs. the LMT buis. LMT has the elevation adjustment, the LaRue is windage only and i guess you just adjust elevation through the front sight post? I noticed that the LaRue has an option for an additional aperture for $25 for a same plane aperture. Is this required or worth while?

SuicideHz
03-17-08, 20:39
"Plain Jane" carbine with LMT BUIS only.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/DSCF0687.jpg

If I were running only a BUIS (no optics) I can't see any reason to use a folding sight. For me, that leaves two options: LMT or LaRue. As you can see, I have the LMT on the carbine pictured above. I have the LaRue on my SBR.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/DSCF0739.jpg

Both are excellent sights. Even with optics (at least the 1X kind) I like fixed BUIS. It's one less thing to worry about.

Derek

Boy Derek you'd have a pretty nice Mk18 clone if you swapped rear BUIS and then put a few stock parts back on the bottom gun.

But you already knew that!

ETA: Nevermind, Bradd's got you beat already!

SuicideHz
03-17-08, 20:40

If you are going to use just irons, then at least get a Tritium front sight post. If you cannot afford this, use the Vickers method and smash a firefly to your front sight post. ;)

C4

I usually do that but when the time comes to actually use the rifle, the bug juice is all gone!

:p

C4IGrant
03-18-08, 08:50
I had this same question, and was wondering on the the LaRue vs. the LMT buis. LMT has the elevation adjustment, the LaRue is windage only and i guess you just adjust elevation through the front sight post? I noticed that the LaRue has an option for an additional aperture for $25 for a same plane aperture. Is this required or worth while?

If you think of the AR as basically a 200M weapon, then you do not need elevation IMHO. Elevation built into a BUIS also adds complexity (which can break) and cost.

So the LT BUIS would be my choice. The SP ap. is a good choice I think.

C4

tiger seven
03-18-08, 09:34
Boy Derek you'd have a pretty nice Mk18 clone if you swapped rear BUIS and then put a few stock parts back on the bottom gun.

But you already knew that!

ETA: Nevermind, Bradd's got you beat already!

It looked a lot more like a Mk18 in it's first incarnation...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/right1.jpg

... but I wasn't too happy with an 8.5 pound SBR and decided to slim it down a bit. :)

Derek

jasonhgross
03-28-08, 11:05
Handgun is what you use to fight your way to your long gun. ;)

The M4 is SUPERIOR in everyway to ANY hand gun and should be your primary defensive tool.

C4

Not to nitpick, but my primary defensive implement is a pistol since that is what I most frequently have on me. Yes, I can use it to fight my way to a longarm, but under most civilian circumstances, I find that unlikely. But yes, the M4 is superior in every way, except portability and concealability.

C4IGrant
03-28-08, 13:53
Not to nitpick, but my primary defensive implement is a pistol since that is what I most frequently have on me. Yes, I can use it to fight my way to a longarm, but under most civilian circumstances, I find that unlikely. But yes, the M4 is superior in every way, except portability and concealability.

Yes, I fully understand that out and about, a pistol is really your ONLY option. In your home though, you can use anything you want.

Why people want to have a "FAIR" gun fight in their own home, makes ZERO sense to me. You have the advantage so use it!

C4

SuicideHz
03-28-08, 14:14
Grant- everyone gets it! We know you are better with your 'bean than your pistol. Great. But there's NO sense in telling anyone else what they should be using in their own home. Tell them facts about penetration, etc. But you can't convince someone who has never taken the classes you have that they will be better off with a carbine in their own home. You may as well tell them that hold dot is better than winchester sxt or that an auto is better than a revolver. Hell, tell him what slippers to wear.

Basically you can't convince someone what they should use when they aren't comfortable with that idea. He's best off with whichever gun he is most comfortable shooting, period.

C4IGrant
03-28-08, 14:18
Grant- everyone gets it! We know you are better with your 'bean than your pistol. Great. But there's NO sense in telling anyone else what they should be using in their own home. Tell them facts about penetration, etc. But you can't convince someone who has never taken the classes you have that they will be better off with a carbine in their own home. You may as well tell them that hold dot is better than winchester sxt or that an auto is better than a revolver. Hell, tell him what slippers to wear.

Basically you can't convince someone what they should use when they aren't comfortable with that idea. He's best off with whichever gun he is most comfortable shooting, period.

Ya, I am fully aware that I cannot change the world, but some times people need to hear what they don't want too (especially if they have not been educated about bullet penetration, etc).

It is true, that you should select the weapon that you handle/shoot the most. With that said, if that said weapon is NOT an AR type platform, you are making a mistake IMHO.

C4

SuicideHz
03-28-08, 14:29
Basically what tou SHOULD tell these types is 'get out and get some trigger time behind the AR15 if you are not yet comfortable with your BEST available defensive weapon!'

C4IGrant
03-28-08, 14:36
Basically what tou SHOULD tell these types is 'get out and get some trigger time behind the AR15 if you are not yet comfortable with your BEST available defensive weapon!'

This is M4Carbine.net, not 1911/Glock/M&P.net. I should never have to tell anyone to get trigger time behind their AR!

C4

SuicideHz
03-28-08, 14:52
That was just my suggestion of a polite way of calling them a fool for but knowing what they were doing with an AR.

But arupisly though, you are going to get guys that aren't used to thinking of the AR as a house gun and will need to have things raplained to them.

Maybe we should (seriously) have a 'must read' section that dispells rumors etc. It will of course be optional to read but if they don't read it and understand it, they will run the risk of getting chewed out.

Should be simple to make and there can even be discussions and locked threads to support correct theories in a way that new guys will understand them.

C4IGrant
03-28-08, 15:03
That was just my suggestion of a polite way of calling them a fool for but knowing what they were doing with an AR.

But arupisly though, you are going to get guys that aren't used to thinking of the AR as a house gun and will need to have things raplained to them.

Maybe we should (seriously) have a 'must read' section that dispells rumors etc. It will of course be optional to read but if they don't read it and understand it, they will run the risk of getting chewed out.

Should be simple to make and there can even be discussions and locked threads to support correct theories in a way that new guys will understand them.

You being polite?? What did you do with SuicideHz??? ;)

No need to call them a fool. They just don't know what they don't know.

C4

SuicideHz
03-28-08, 15:09
Not sure where he went... The full moon was last Friday...

RojasTKD
03-28-08, 15:15
BUIS as only sight?

Wouldn't that make it an IS and not a BUIS? :rolleyes:

That would be ok, but I bet eventually you end up getting some kind of scope/holo sight.

jasonhgross
03-28-08, 15:31
Yes, I fully understand that out and about, a pistol is really your ONLY option. In your home though, you can use anything you want.

Why people want to have a "FAIR" gun fight in their own home, makes ZERO sense to me. You have the advantage so use it!

C4

Agree to a large extent. However, A pistol is an immediate action firearm to me, able to grab quickly while the proverbial hand is at your throat, quick to deploy, easy to hide. This is assuming my barriers and early warning systems fail. If early warning systems function properly, I will of course grab whatever is closest, move to closest and most secure location where I have preplaced most effective weapon. At friends house, probably my pistol, maybe my knives, maybe his baseball bat. All depends on circumstances. My house, depends what room action begins in, well its an apartment, so either the AR or glock, depending on whats closest. You are correct, ar is most optimal, but in my experience, the most expedient is largely the most optimal for that circumstance.

C4IGrant
03-28-08, 15:52
Agree to a large extent. However, A pistol is an immediate action firearm to me, able to grab quickly while the proverbial hand is at your throat, quick to deploy, easy to hide. This is assuming my barriers and early warning systems fail. If early warning systems function properly, I will of course grab whatever is closest, move to closest and most secure location where I have preplaced most effective weapon. At friends house, probably my pistol, maybe my knives, maybe his baseball bat. All depends on circumstances. My house, depends what room action begins in, well its an apartment, so either the AR or glock, depending on whats closest. You are correct, ar is most optimal, but in my experience, the most expedient is largely the most optimal for that circumstance.

You are correct. If someone is standing in your bedroom, you reach over and grab your HG. What I am saying is that your primary "meet and greet" weapon should never be a handgun (if at all possible).

C4

RDak
03-29-08, 06:40
I agree Grant FWIW. An AR-15 would be a better HD gun than a handgun, hands down IMHO. Easier to shoot and more "effective" IMHO.

That said, I still have a handgun for HD also.

jmtgsx
03-30-08, 11:43
No need to call them a fool. They just don't know what they don't know.

C4

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/jmtgsx/MrT.jpg

:D

rockm4
03-30-08, 13:05
It looked a lot more like a Mk18 in it's first incarnation...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/right1.jpg

... but I wasn't too happy with an 8.5 pound SBR and decided to slim it down a bit. :)

Derek

Nice gun, both setups but i like the first version better:D

mattmcg
04-14-08, 16:53
Yes, BUIS option only is on a couple of my KISS rifles..... Stay true to the original. That said, I like my Meopta 1-4 red dot scope for 3 gun action.....