PDA

View Full Version : 38 spl+p

texasgunhand
02-28-13, 22:17
Iam looking to buy a 38 spc+p for my wife,the last revolver i bought was s&w 686 357 mag for a duty weapon.But thats way to big and to much recoil for her. I will probably go to academy this weekend to look,my local gun store is small and way to high,I could get a new gun for the price of a used one." they sale 4oz spray CLP for 11 bucks,its 3.50 or so from wallyworld."

Also my local wallyworld doesnt sale guns. " Small town...lol. "
i dont want a 1 inch barrel but dont want 4 inch either.is s&w what they used to be? ruger?? Let me know what you guys think.... thanks.

T2C
03-01-13, 07:52
I bought a S&W BG38 for my wife's birthday present and she loves it.

Hizzie
03-01-13, 11:52
You can shoot 38 specials out of a 357 magnum. Any of the S&W K-Frames would be fine. The Ruger SP101 or GP100 would be fine too. All of the all steel revolvers are a little heavy. Charter Arms aren't bad. They are kinda like Kel-Tec. They aren't as refined or nicely finished but are very servicable.

BillSWPA
03-01-13, 13:31
If your wife does not like the recoil of a heavy .357 magnum, she will not enjoy the recoil of a lightweight .38. Make sure the gun you get has some weight, as well as some well-cushioned grips.

texasgunhand
03-03-13, 00:41
hey thanks , all good points, i went looking sat. and really right now it seems everyones sold outa everything maybe i will wait till this buying rush dies down, i dont think wheel guns are gona take a big hit...

Rodman24
03-03-13, 02:17
The Ruger LCR is a good choice IMHO. The one I own has the Houge Tamer grip and it is very comfortable. +p rounds are a bit snappy, but not bad. The trigger is great and the break is very predictable.

Since she will not likely train exclusively with +p rounds it should work out well. When I take it to the range, I usually shoot 50 rounds of standard and 5 to 10 +p as a reminder of how it will feel if used for defense. I usually carry a G19, but the LCR sees a good bit of carry during summer months.

p22shooter30
03-04-13, 14:57
my wife has a ruger lcr as well. great gun with less felt recoil than other lightwieght snubbies i have fired.

TacCommE21
03-06-13, 22:04
+1 on the LCR. I carry one as a BUG. Try Speer Gold Dot 135 GR +P Short Barrel for SD round, which are on Doc's short list of reliable .38's.

Also, a little bright enamel paint on the front ramp makes all the difference.

c3006
03-07-13, 04:44
I would consider one of the lightweight S&W revolvers,hammer less if she is going to carry in her purse. You can still find some good deals on the auction sites on used ones and I have no problem buying a good quality used revolver.

03-07-13, 08:37
Will she carry it or will it stay in the house?
In my opinion S&W and Ruger still make a great revolver. It maybe worth a trip to a larger town to find a used S&W, I do know what travel means in Texas...
I do like my M13 3" HB .357
Best,

Hapworth
03-07-13, 12:10
Classic husband misstep: choosing a handgun for the wife. ;)

Make a small investment: a few trips to local ranges so she can try out a variety of handguns and determine what what feels right to her. This will pay off dividends in the long run.

Next: procure the weapon of choice and invest in a defense handgun ownership/maintenance/use course for her.

As for advising a specific piece, more information is needed from you. Will this be exclusively for home protection, or carried, too? If carried, will it be carried open or concealed. If concealed, inside the waistband or outside.

What didn't she like about the 686? Was it more the recoil (if so, what loads were you using?), or the overall size (helps determine if a J or a K frame is in order here, and steel framed v aluminum)?

SteveS
03-24-13, 20:14
One of my best friends used to have a real nice gun shop so I was able to play gun shop employee and so many men wanted to pick out the wrong guns for their women. Bring the Mrs out to a nice brunch then bring her shopping. Go from there.

Plumber237
06-18-13, 16:44
Another vote for the LCR, I prefer the CorBon DPX .38+P rounds, which are also on Doc's list.

SteveS
06-30-13, 09:33
Iam looking to buy a 38 spc+p for my wife,the last revolver i bought was s&w 686 357 mag for a duty weapon.But thats way to big and to much recoil for her. I will probably go to academy this weekend to look,my local gun store is small and way to high,I could get a new gun for the price of a used one." they sale 4oz spray CLP for 11 bucks,its 3.50 or so from wallyworld."

Also my local wallyworld doesnt sale guns. " Small town...lol. "
i dont want a 1 inch barrel but dont want 4 inch either.is s&w what they used to be? ruger?? Let me know what you guys think.... thanks. Did you ever buy a new pistol?

youngAR
06-30-13, 11:04
I, too highly recommend the LCR. But, there are better choices in a handgun for women. My wife loves my GP100. But some can't pull the trigger back. Pick one that SHE's comfortable with and teach her on it. If a .38 the ultimate choice, buy 148gr wadcutters.

ColtSeavers
07-05-13, 02:03
Outside of the (should be obvious) take her to the store/range and let her decide.

Wife has and loves her 2-1/4" .357 sp101, especially after we changed the grip for a hogue fingergroove rosewood. She'll shoot every round of .38 she can get her hands on if you don't watch out, which is fine by me as I'm just happy she's happy with and using/practicing with her gun. It is actually a pretty damn nice revolver IMO, a little snappy with full power .357s through it (but nothing to wory about) and downright tame with .38+p.

Vegasshooter
07-05-13, 08:41
It seems like the really important things have been covered, ie: let your wife shoot as many as she can get her hands on. That said, my wife very, very much enjoys my 4" S&W 66. She shoots standard .38 loads into a fist sized target ALL day long, or until she runs out of ammo, and I have to pry it out of her hands. She started on a Ruger Single 10, yes, the 10 shot version of the Single six. The S&W was a very natural next step up. That is one persons opinion, and YMMV. The other great choice is the Ruger SP101 in .357 with .38 loads. This is my BUG, and it is fantastic as such. She can really handle the 2 inch. The Ruger is a bobbed hammer, and as such it is a DAO revolver. I find, as a husband, that what we like doesn't always translate to our wives. I was super patient and spent the money on the .22 first, then moved her up when SHE started asking and looking at my guns. I REALLY think that has paid dividends because she never got scared or intimidated. BTW, there's nothing wrong with 10 rounds of .22 CCI Stingers to slow an intruder down in a defensive scenario. My wife is 5'2 and about 120 pounds. I would not hesitate to recommend the S&W 66, or the Ruger SP101, but let her decide.