PDA

View Full Version : magpul Moe Fixed rifle stock question

bkaufmann
02-28-13, 22:29
So I just bought a lower parts kit that comes with a magpul collapsible stock and everything needed to put it together.

However, I just also purchased a MOE fixed rifle stock and was not sure what I needed to change to put the fixed stock on my AR instead. I saw somewhere that I needed the A2 buffer tube to make the change however I was curious whether that is everything I need to make the change or do I need to buy an A2 buffer kit to make the change?

Bear with me as I don't know my ar's as well as you guys do. I'm here to learn right now.

Thanks,
Ben

bleaman225
02-28-13, 22:39
You need a rifle length receiver extension, a rifle buffer and a rifle length action spring to mount the fixed MOE stock.

Why are you going with a fixed stock as opposed to an adjustable?

bkaufmann
02-28-13, 22:53
thank you.

I am bulding this AR to be my yote gun.

Iraqgunz
03-01-13, 01:18
I don't hunt so I am curious. Why can't you use a telescoping stock on a "yote" gun?

thank you.

I am bulding this AR to be my yote gun.

Dave L.
03-01-13, 04:24
I don't hunt so I am curious. Why can't you use a telescoping stock on a "yote" gun?

People are weird about this crap. They usually don't understand the benefits of a collapsible stock because they are new and the guys they hunt with are also clueless. Guys will always err on the side of what their huntin' buddies use.

OP: Why not save yourself some money and just use the collapsible stock? One big benefit is during the winter when you have eight layers of clothing, you can adjust it to better fit you (same as body armor).
I wont touch a fixed stock for anything AR. Even on an AR I taking hunting (I don't own a "huntin' AR).

Iraqgunz
03-01-13, 04:43
Kind of what I was thinking. When I did the SPR Sniper Course I was using an M4 style set up and was able to make hits in excess of 800 yards.

People are weird about this crap. They usually don't understand the benefits of a collapsible stock because they are new and the guys they hunt with are also clueless. Guys will always err on the side of what their huntin' buddies use.

OP: Why not save yourself some money and just use the collapsible stock? One big benefit is during the winter when you have eight layers of clothing, you can adjust it to better fit you (same as body armor).
I wont touch a fixed stock for anything AR. Even on an AR I taking hunting (I don't own a "huntin' AR).

bkaufmann
03-01-13, 08:21
"Guys will always err on the side of what their huntin' buddies use."

All my buddies use tc encores and other bolt guns in 22-250 so i'm going into this one blind.
Like I said, I don't know ARs well and thats why i'm here to learn.

But its honestly more of a personal preference.
I like the look of it and I like the idea of extra sturdyness and zero play in the stock.

There's no reason that I know of as to why you cant hunt with a collapsible stock I just dont want to put that on my dedicated coyote gun.

yfz
03-01-13, 08:55
There are plenty of sturdy collapsible stocks with zero play. A good one that comes to mind is the sopmod.

markm
03-01-13, 09:00
There's no need for a slider on a gun with a fixed eye relief glass. Don't let these yuppies piss on your rig. :p

The reason I don't use the MOE fixed is that it's too long... but that's a good thing for an AR with a scope.

bkaufmann
03-01-13, 09:10
There's no need for a slider on a gun with a fixed eye relief glass. Don't let these yuppies piss on your rig. :p

The reason I don't use the MOE fixed is that it's too long... but that's a good thing for an AR with a scope.

thats what I was thinking. I want the rifle to always have the same LOP for the best consistancy I can get.

Plus with that extra stock laying around I may have more incentive to build another once I complete this build.

aguila327
03-01-13, 09:12

Dead on! Plus it was compliant with existing laws at the time.

Dave L.
03-01-13, 09:17
thats what I was thinking. I want the rifle to always have the same LOP for the best consistancy I can get.

Your LOP will change with your clothing. The LOP relative to the weapon will not change, but the LOP relative to you will.

Nothing wrong with just wanting it to want it. I'm just staying the adjustable stocks will adapt to the situation better*.

*Unless you live in AZ and wear T-shirts year around.

bkaufmann
03-01-13, 09:39
Your LOP will change with your clothing. The LOP relative to the weapon will not change, but the LOP relative to you will.

Nothing wrong with just wanting it to want it. I'm just staying the adjustable stocks will adapt to the situation better*.

This is true, I can't argue with the fact that and adjustable stock being more versitile. But I guess thats just not as important to me for this rifle.

And unfortunately I live in a town that is nicknamed the "icebox" of the lower 48. So when I'm going coyote hunting I'm almost always wearing the same down coat.

I appreciate the input though!

MistWolf
03-01-13, 09:42
People are weird about this crap. They usually don't understand the benefits of a collapsible stock because they are new and the guys they hunt with are also clueless. Guys will always err on the side of what their huntin' buddies use...

No, it's because when it's eight shades of cold out there, placing your cheek against the bare metal of the receiver extension can be quite the jolt! Quite a few guys hunt coyotes in the winter, butt deep in snow.

There is an advantage to having a stock with an adjustable LOP but the only way I've found to keep my face off the bare metal of the RE, even while wearing thick clothing, is to use a fixed stock or an UBR

Dave L.
03-01-13, 09:51
No, it's because when it's eight shades of cold out there, placing your cheek against the bare metal of the receiver extension can be quite the jolt! Quite a few guys hunt coyotes in the winter, butt deep in snow.

I get it. I'm from Michigan. I personally hunt with a face mask so I've never had that issue except for on the range during the winter, but I keep my face on the stock- not the RE tube. I set my eye-relief so that I'm not doing that stupid ass nose-to-charging handle Army crap :p

ra2bach
03-01-13, 11:21
ok I'm weird - I prefer a rifle stock for going prone behind glass too.

I could get by with an A5 (it can actually give a longer LOP) but the A2 rifle system seems really smooth on a midlength. don't need no steenkin' compensator...