PDA

View Full Version : Optics decision/availability

DarkJ
02-28-13, 22:44
Well, I've pretty much got my heart set on the vortex viper pst 1-4 Moa uncapped. Spent the last few weeks researching it and decided on it but can't seem to find one in stock. It will say "limited availability" meaning give us your money and maybe one will show up at your door in the next 6-8months, OOS, or Back order till 2015. I ran through google, bing, vortex's website, and any thread on here that mentioned one and no avail. So if anyone has an idea or know where I can snag one let me know.
My 2nd pick was a leopuld, my budget is sub $500, ran through about 60 of the 720 or so pages on the sticky and just couldnt take any more.

Thanks for the help.

edit: let me rephrase this a little better sry trying to hold my daughter and type/think and its not working out too well. I love the sights and everything about the viper, they had one at the local gunshop (800$) not happening. Im looking for a similar scope in my price range, i read a lot about the leopuld, the burris and a few others but can't find any close enough to take a peak at. need some advice on a solid alternative in my price range that is similar and available.

SWFA- sold out
Libertyoptics- Sold out
Ranier- Sold out
Cabella's- back ordered
Palmetta state armory- sold out
Numerous google sites- backordered/sold out.

domestique
03-01-13, 04:29
Did you check SWFA? (I would call or email first, because I do not beleive their inventory is real time.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rifle-Scopes-C2860.aspx

incognito
03-01-13, 07:01
Check the SWFA sample list too. I have purchased very good condition used optics with a quality mount for less $$ than a new optic alone.

DarkJ
03-01-13, 10:33
Check the SWFA sample list too. I have purchased very good condition used optics with a quality mount for less $$ than a new optic alone.

I will have to give them a call, thanks :)

austinN4
03-01-13, 10:56
Try Scott at Liberty Optics: http://www.libertyoptics.com/

Good prices, free shipping and great service!

DarkJ
03-01-13, 14:57
just stopped by another gun shop about 40 mins away, got my hands on a burris tac30 and a NCstar delta3 ( never heard of it) and i still love the viper :( im about to start my search on mounts as well, i would like to keep my irons on the lower 1/3.
really didnt care too much for the burris, the ncstar had a cool crosshair but after searching on here i found it was a crappy scope.

DarkJ
03-01-13, 16:14
none of the above have any viper pst's in stock any version in a 1-4x.
called and spoke with libertyoptics and he recommended me
MTAC 1-4x24mm Illuminated Ballistic Plex CQ 5.56/7.62 Riflescope with PEPR Mount & Fastfire Sight - Matte

MTAC 1-4x24mm Ballistic Plex CQ 5.56/7.62 Illuminated with PEPR Mount and Fastfire Sight Riflescope

The MTAC 1x-4x-24 with its wide field of view and Ballistic CQ 5.56/7.62 reticle is the perfect match for AR platform
Illuminated reticles for instant target acquisition in any lighting condition
Ideal for precision big game hunting
Each delivers optical performance that is virtually identical to ultra-premium scopes
All lenses are precision ground optical glass that is index matched, multi-coated with HiLume for clear, sharp high resolution images
With PEPR Mount and Fastfire Sight
Battery type - CR2032
Matte
Ballistic Plex CQ 5.56/7.62 Reticle
Field of View (in feet @ 100 yards): 100 Low - 32 High
Exit Pupil (mm): 24 Low-6 High
Click Value (in. @ 100 yards): .5
Max Adj.(in. @ 100 yards): 130
Eye Relief (in.): 3.5-4.0
Length (in.): 11.3
Weight (ounces): 17

549 shipped. really thinking hard about it, gonna pull the trigger in the next hour or so unless anyone can chime in :)

looks like it wont clear my fixed fron sight post with that mount :( back to the drawing boards

glockshooter
03-01-13, 18:00
The reticle in the mtac is less than desirable. You need to look through one before buying. There is a night and day difference between the two scope reticles you are looking at. What is the reason you want the uncapped turrets? I have had a uncapped and still have a capped I may be able to give you some insight if I knew what you plan on using the scope for.

Matt

DarkJ
03-01-13, 19:49
The reticle in the mtac is less than desirable. You need to look through one before buying. There is a night and day difference between the two scope reticles you are looking at. What is the reason you want the uncapped turrets? I have had a uncapped and still have a capped I may be able to give you some insight if I knew what you plan on using the scope for.

Matt

i spoke with a vortex rep and he pretty much told me to go for the uncapped incase in the future i choose to go for further distances i have the option.

right now my main shots will be 1-300yrds

Kitts
03-01-13, 20:20
Try calling cabelas. I picked up my viper pst 1x4 last week at the store in Dundee mi. I was back there yesterday, and they still have them in stock. I'm not sure if they will ship in store inventory or not, but its worth a shot.

glockshooter
03-01-13, 20:21
The target turrets on that scope are very prone to being knocked off zero. It happened to me numerous times. That is why I switched to the capped version.

Matt

DarkJ
03-01-13, 20:28
Try calling cabelas. I picked up my viper pst 1x4 last week at the store in Dundee mi. I was back there yesterday, and they still have them in stock. I'm not sure if they will ship in store inventory or not, but its worth a shot.

i called, the closest one is like 5 hrs from me. they told me if i wanted to drive they have them in stock but online orders are back ordered.

@glock but if the vortex rep wasnt just trying to get me to spend another $20 he told me they dont do that unless you throw the rifle and at a difference of $20 i may as well get the best bang for my buck. im not able to find either atm anyway so i guess i have a bit to figure it out :)

glockshooter
03-01-13, 20:29
The target turrets on that scope are very prone to being knocked off zero. It happened to me numerous times. That is why I switched to the capped version.

Matt

DarkJ
03-01-13, 20:32

Matt

have you used a burris(other than mtac) by chance? im curious on how bad the difference is between the burris/leupold and the viper. I will take your word for it and go with a capped viper if i can find one, but if i cant find one by monday i will probably go with a mtac or leupold. i just really had my heart set on that viper :(
i hated the tac30 couldnt stand it. the mtacs reticle doesnt look bad on videos, just not sure. i really hate this panic buying stuff killing the market

glockshooter
03-01-13, 22:12
I have experience with all three scopes you mentioned the tac30 and mtac are the same scope with a different illumination switch. The reticle in both Burris scopes is exactly the same. That reticle offers no precision. The center dot is just to big. The leupold is a better choice on the reticle side but it is a 1.25-4. The vortex in my experience is better due the the true 1x and the reticle design. I would go vortex over the others and the leupold over the Burris.

Matt

DarkJ
03-01-13, 22:23
I have experience with all three scopes you mentioned the tac30 and mtac are the same scope with a different illumination switch. The reticle in both Burris scopes is exactly the same. That reticle offers no precision. The center dot is just to big. The leupold is a better choice on the reticle side but it is a 1.25-4. The vortex in my experience is better due the the true 1x and the reticle design. I would go vortex over the others and the leupold over the Burris.

Matt

I hated the tac30, so that knocks out the mtac and the tac30 haha. Im gonna go in the AM to check out some leupolds at another shop about an hour from me(im killing gas looking at optics lol). Hopefully i will like those cause vipers are near impossible to get at the moment it seems.

DarkJ
03-02-13, 01:04
picked up a vortex viper off the EE :)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=125697
hes shipping tomorrow :D

austinN4
03-02-13, 05:58
Congratulations! I would have probably bought that if I had seen it. Let us know how it works out for you.

DarkJ
03-02-13, 09:04
Congratulations! I would have probably bought that if I had seen it. Let us know how it works out for you.

yea im psyched,

whats everyone think of this mount?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/864543/american-defense-recon-h-quick-release-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-30mm-rings-ar-15-flat-top-matte

Ronin64
03-02-13, 12:01
I thought Aimpoints were invincible? It took EOTech less than two weeks to fix my 516 last year.

DarkJ
03-02-13, 12:27
I thought Aimpoints were invincible? It took EOTech less than two weeks to fix my 516 last year.

think you posted on the wrong thread :)

wingspar
03-02-13, 12:39

As I read thru this thread, it sounded like you were doing my shopping for me since we both seem to be looking at the same scopes. Then I came across this post, and saw you bought one off the forum. Looks like a very nice score. I might have jumped on that too if I had seen it.

Nearest Cabela’s to me is an overnight trip. I almost went this week, but had to cancel due to a dentist appointment I’d forgot about. Pisser about that is the dentist called and rescheduled me to March 22. Grrrrr. So, I’m thinking of making the trip next week. Interesting to know that Cabelas has them in the store, but not on the internet.

DarkJ
03-02-13, 12:49
As I read thru this thread, it sounded like you were doing my shopping for me since we both seem to be looking at the same scopes. Then I came across this post, and saw you bought one off the forum. Looks like a very nice score. I might have jumped on that too if I had seen it.

Nearest Cabela’s to me is an overnight trip. I almost went this week, but had to cancel due to a dentist appointment I’d forgot about. Pisser about that is the dentist called and rescheduled me to March 22. Grrrrr. So, I’m thinking of making the trip next week. Interesting to know that Cabelas has them in the store, but not on the internet.

Yep, just ordered my mount too. went with a higher offset mount to clear my fixed a2 front sight post.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/864543/american-defense-recon-h-quick-release-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-30mm-rings-ar-15-flat-top-matte

says out of stock now after i ordered, said it wasnt back ordered. so hopefully i got the last one :)
good luck trying to find a viper pst, i called over 20 places and tried every dealer i could find lol. ill let you know how everything is once the scope arrives. :)

wingspar
03-02-13, 13:03
Yep, just ordered my mount too. went with a higher offset mount to clear my fixed a2 front sight post.

says out of stock now after i ordered, said it wasnt back ordered. so hopefully i got the last one :)
good luck trying to find a viper pst, i called over 20 places and tried every dealer i could find lol. ill let you know how everything is once the scope arrives. :)

They show that mount as possibly being back in stock in less than two weeks, so if you missed it, you shouldn’t have too long to wait.

I’ve decided on the LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT104 (http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104). Seems like this forum is 99 to 100% in agreement that it is the best out there, but the one you ordered looks like a nice mount. Yes, let us know how the scope works out, and photos of the reticle if possible.

DarkJ
03-02-13, 13:08
They show that mount as possibly being back in stock in less than two weeks, so if you missed it, you shouldn’t have too long to wait.

I’ve decided on the LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT104 (http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104). Seems like this forum is 99 to 100% in agreement that it is the best out there, but the one you ordered looks like a nice mount. Yes, let us know how the scope works out, and photos of the reticle if possible.

the reason i decided on the mount it did was i didnt want the front post in my recticle, most i was looking at and reading about the fron post would be in the lower 1/3 and sometimes 1/2 view until 3x or 4x which to me makes me uneasy, i like having full view and i dont have the tools/resources to do a low pro gas block/free floating rail yet. so removing the fixed a2 sight isnt feasable yet

wingspar
03-02-13, 13:30
the reason i decided on the mount it did was i didnt want the front post in my recticle, most i was looking at and reading about the fron post would be in the lower 1/3 and sometimes 1/2 view until 3x or 4x which to me makes me uneasy, i like having full view and i dont have the tools/resources to do a low pro gas block/free floating rail yet. so removing the fixed a2 sight isnt feasable yet

Makes sense. Guess I need to ask some questions of LaRue before I purchase the mount. I don’t ever plan on removing the front sight post.

DarkJ
03-02-13, 14:19
Makes sense. Guess I need to ask some questions of LaRue before I purchase the mount. I don’t ever plan on removing the front sight post.

ive been going back and forth on it, but i saw a a2 sight post with a tac light and laser on it that seemed really cool. im still debating whether i wanna go with a flip up front with a free floating rail and low pro gas block or leave it and just stick with the taller mount. i would also like to eventually pick up a 2nd ar and make it a long range rifle. if i do that then this one will get a red dot.