PDA

View Full Version : M&P help needed

cathellsk
03-14-08, 23:56
I just traded for a new M&P9 yesterday. Without commiting to memory what the breechface looked like before shooting it I now notice what looks like two different cracks. Just to put my mind at ease could someone post a close-up pic of a clean breechface so I can make sure there is no problem? I'd like to find out here before sending it back to Smith for nothing.
The one "crack" runs from the firing pin hole upward and is jagged looking and will catch my fingernail if I run it across it. I tried scraping on it with my cleaning rod jag and it won't come off so I'm not sure if its somekind of hard residue or actually a crack. This one I did notice before firing it.
The other one is above the extractor just to the side of the breechface. Its straight up and down and reminds me of the way an older SIG looks with its pinned in breechblock. I don't remember seeing this one before shooting.
I tried some pics but they didn't come out good. I also feel stupid for asking about this but I'm just wanting to make sure there is nothing wrong. If so I know Smith will take care of me.

ToddG
03-15-08, 00:06
Don't know if this will help, but this is my breechface after 16,000 rounds with very few cleanings in between:

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/TLG_2025.jpg

cathellsk
03-15-08, 00:17
Todd,

Thank you sir! I saw your pic in the pic thread sticky but it was after 6k rounds of not cleaning. :) Wasn't much help. This is alot better.
Do you see that line to the left in the pic centered above the extractor? Thats one of the ones I was referring to, so I'm going to assume thats normal. The other one still has me concerned though. Its almost like a "residue" or something but I can't get it to come off at all. Thats why I'm concerned that maybe it is a crack.

ToddG
03-15-08, 00:23
Seeing a picture of it would help, but even then it's hard to gauge something like a crack by a photo.

Get a bore patch and soak it in solvent. Then press it against the suspected crack for a minute. Try very hard not to let any solvent drip into the striker hole, that can cause a whole new set of problems. Once you've let the mark absorb some solvent, first try to remove it with a dry patch. If that doesn't work, the sharp point of a brass jag would be my next step. If that also doesn't make any change, then you've got some kind of scratch (most likely) or crack (less likely but possible) on the breechface. Neither is good. I'd send it off to Smith and ask them to buff it out for you.

edited to add: As for the other mark, the one you also see on my breechface, that's just the finish wearing away at the point where the barrel interfaces the slide. I haven't looked carefully at enough well used M&Ps to declare it "normal" but it's certainly not worrisome to me.

cathellsk
03-15-08, 00:39
If that doesn't work, the sharp point of a brass jag would be my next step. If that also doesn't make any change, then you've got some kind of scratch (most likely) or crack (less likely but possible) on the breechface. Neither is good. I'd send it off to Smith and ask them to buff it out for you.

Thats what I've already tried. I'd say its a scratch like your suggesting. I'll call them next week and see what they can do then.

M4arc
03-15-08, 06:43
Thats what I've already tried. I'd say its a scratch like your suggesting. I'll call them next week and see what they can do then.

Cathellsk- Keep us posted okay?

cathellsk
03-18-08, 23:54
Cathellsk- Keep us posted okay?

Sorry to get back late on this, I had another:mad: hernia repair monday and have been too doped up to call Smith yet. Will call tomorrow and find out if they want it back. I'm sure they will. But I will keep you guys informed whats up.

ToddG
03-19-08, 13:35
A tool mark on the breechface probably won't cause a problem but there is a reason that surface is polished at the factory. Beretta, at least on their 92-series guns, actually radiused the firing pin hole to further eliminate the chance of a cartridge getting stuck trying to feed and chamber.

I'll be honest, I usually shrug off stuff like this unless/until it causes a stoppage. But I think you're within your rights to tell them you want to ship the slide back for a buff job.