PDA

View Full Version : Middle Aged Martial Arts...

SteyrAUG
03-01-13, 15:50
So one of the few benefits of the economy grinding my business into a fine powder is that I have some more free time on my hands.

I try and train a few nights a week with my regular crew but it's hard to run an injury free session. I simply cannot do targets, drills or spar long enough for maximum benefit. I run out of gas too soon and if I push it too hard I'm not recovered by the next training session.

Basically I'm now more of a mall walker than a speed runner.

So in the off time I began to do some low intensity, longer duration training. Especially during the day when the sun is going down. One of the things I've found is weapons training is especially beneficial.

Weapons function as small weights and require a great deal of coordination in many cases. They are also interesting and challenging enough to fill an hour of practice without being completely spent.

So a couple weeks ago I started drilling with the three sectional. Decided to do some video for self evaluation to help my progress. It's been a few years since I used it regularly and you can tell. Couple flubs and slips here and there. But at least I'm not killing myself with it.

Anyway I though you guys might enjoy, or at least find amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljXlqAet3I&list=UUnALnbK4euWEzR4MPv1CkHA&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MpUfZys9I&list=UUnALnbK4euWEzR4MPv1CkHA&index=1

Campbell
03-01-13, 18:46
Staff work looked pretty good, and looked like a decent cardio hit as well. My only weapon experience was a little sport kendo from a hard-ass Korean. Spent alot of years in judo, with a healthy mix of hapkido/jujitsu. At 47 the sparring has caught up with me and I'm pretty much done except going thru the motions.;)

SteyrAUG
03-01-13, 19:06
Staff work looked pretty good, and looked like a decent cardio hit as well. My only weapon experience was a little sport kendo from a hard-ass Korean. Spent alot of years in judo, with a healthy mix of hapkido/jujitsu. At 47 the sparring has caught up with me and I'm pretty much done except going thru the motions.;)

I can do almost a full 3 minutes of Randori.

:D

Ed L.
03-01-13, 23:41
Middle aged guys, and guys and gals of all ages, gotta know their limitations.

It's great to go hard and accomplish a lot, and we can all admire those people--I certainly do.

But on a practical level, getting injured sucks and can screw up your life and ability work and earn a living and can have a serious economic impact on you. That point was driven home to me when I busted a leg in BJJ. I later saw people with all sorts of injuries when I was rehabbing the leg in physical therapy. These injuries came either from sports or exercise or from overdoing sports or exercise.

I see it with friends who screw themselves up working out too hard.

Anyway . . . I've actually come to appreciate things like you are doing in the video, though I don't want any weapons like Nunchakus or three sided staffs in my house for safety reasons :lol:

Speaking of weapons from the far East, I have an old WWII Gunto Sword which I took off a shelf and decided it would be nice to have a shorter sword of that type. I know there are a class of shorter Japanese swords called Wakazashi, but don't know one from the other, and am hesitant to start messing with them and spending the money. I mean it's not like something I need like another firearm . . .

Itsahak
03-02-13, 00:30
At 41, when I'm in Muay Thai, I still spar, but very sparingly and never full contact anymore. In my Gracie Jiu Jistu classes, I'll roll for an hour running 10 minute rounds. For my MMA classes, I will only spar with certain students that can keep their head.

SteyrAUG
03-02-13, 01:58
Speaking of weapons from the far East, I have an old WWII Gunto Sword which I took off a shelf and decided it would be nice to have a shorter sword of that type. I know there are a class of shorter Japanese swords called Wakazashi, but don't know one from the other, and am hesitant to start messing with them and spending the money. I mean it's not like something I need like another firearm . . .

If you ever decide you don't want it, PM me and we can go 15 emails haggling over price.

When discussing genuine Nihonto (pre Meiji Japanese swords) they are referred to as Katana and Wakazashi or Daito and Shoto and the matched pair are known as Daisho. There are also things like Tachi and Dai Katana, Aikuchi, Tanto, etc. but I don't want to write a book.

Japanese military blades (not considered true Nihonto) are typically 1937 vintage and come in flavors like Army Officer, Army Non Commissioned Officer, Navy Officer, etc. Most were mass produced by factories or marginally talented smiths. As these were intended for the military they weren't made in matched pairs as a "daisho" would be one of the least practical things a WWII Japanese soldier could do. Some Aikuchi and Tanto are known to exist from the same 1937 period.

Of course one always has to be wary of what looks like a WWII Gunto but some Navy Officer replaced the factory blade with Granpa Inami's priceless Masamune blade.

If you want quality swords suitable for use, that would make a nice display and don't start at prices like 25,000 take a look at CAS Hanwei.

Be very careful about ideas like starting to collect genuine Nihonto, it's the sort of thing that keeps the big suits at Sony broke. It's probably cheaper to collect vintage Mercedes sports cars. Single blades often start at 5 figures and exceptional blades can go into six figure territory pretty easy.

Guntos, Shin Guntos, etc. used to be cheap to collect. When I was fencing we used to buy them in the $50-100 range all day long. At Kendo tournaments we had a guy that literally had them in a metal garbage can with a sign that said "$65 You Pick." Generally they had busted up fittings and furniture and it would cost you another $100 to get a replacement Tsuka and Saya (Handle and Scabbard) made so it was a little more expensive then buying the top quality Stainless models from Dolans, but you had a real Japanese blade of WWII vintage.

This was a common practice in my Iai club. Sometimes they also had small chips or broken tips and the blade would have to be reshaped and polished but since they weren't collectable it wasn't terribly expensive. Of course now any WWII blade, even with many flaws, can be seen with price tags of $500-1000 on it. People assume every Japanese sword is valuable and these days they have a value as a WWII collectible.

TheJRK
03-02-13, 19:35
I've been doing iaido and kendo since 2001... I've lost track of the number of times someone has shown up to iaido practice with a "QVC Katana". Then they get mad/insulted when I hand them a bokken and tell them to practice with it until told otherwise. They tell me they want to use a "real sword" and I tell them they can't afford the real thing.

Ed L.
03-02-13, 23:05
If you ever decide you don't want it, PM me and we can go 15 emails haggling over price.

I think I will hang onto the gunto for now.

It has a wierd release mechanism at the bottom of the grip that makes it less comfortable to hold. Here is a photo of the relevant part:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/gunto2_zps3f646e70.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/gunto3_zps9bcc31d4.jpg

I bought it from a Mr. Miagi-like Asian guy at a militaria show 10 or 20 years ago.

I pick it up from time to time and muse that it would be fun to have a shorter Japanese style sword. But I realize that the price of admission for a half decent one is more than I can justify for myself given my level of interest. I've been hit with some unexpected expenses over the last 8 months so I am more careful about spending money. And I'm certainly not about to buy the sword equivalent of a Highpoint just to have one.

If you want quality swords suitable for use, that would make a nice display and don't start at prices like 25,000 take a look at CAS Hanwei.

Thanks. I appreciate the tip and the mini Japanese Sword history that you posted.

Be very careful about ideas like starting to collect genuine Nihonto, it's the sort of thing that keeps the big suits at Sony broke. It's probably cheaper to collect vintage Mercedes sports cars. Single blades often start at 5 figures and exceptional blades can go into six figure territory pretty easy.

I can appreciate what they see in this, but that's completely out of my league. Firearms is an expensive enough hobby for me.

SteyrAUG
03-03-13, 02:07
I think I will hang onto the gunto for now.

It has a wierd release mechanism at the bottom of the grip that makes it less comfortable to hold. Here is a photo of the relevant part:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/gunto2_zps3f646e70.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/gunto3_zps9bcc31d4.jpg

I bought it from a Mr. Miagi-like Asian guy at a militaria show 10 or 20 years ago.

I pick it up from time to time and muse that it would be fun to have a shorter Japanese style sword. But I realize that the price of admission for a half decent one is more than I can justify for myself given my level of interest. I've been hit with some unexpected expenses over the last 8 months so I am more careful about spending money. And I'm certainly not about to buy the sword equivalent of a Highpoint just to have one.

Non Commission Officer Sword. Metal handle is a dead giveaway. And yeah the safety latch is a pain in the ass. The officer version had a smaller push button release in the collar under the guard. Basically it prevented your sword from flying out in front of you and impaling you as you ran for cover under fire or dove into foxholes. If the Japanese commit seppuku they want it to be done on purpose.

Your sword would have been worth about $50 back in the day to anyone wanting to make a drawing sword. But now as a WWII collectable they can command prices in the $400 and up range. Yours actually seems to be in excellent condition.

I can appreciate what they see in this, but that's completely out of my league. Firearms is an expensive enough hobby for me.

One of my instructors inherited part of a family collection going back to about 1200 AD. We're talking a few hundred original swords mostly from the 1500-1700s. He had a single blade that was appraised at around $250,000 and that was back in the 80s. And we aren't just talking paper value, several Japanese collectors made actual offers. The scary part is his cousin had an even larger collection and he got most of the really important swords.

SteyrAUG
03-03-13, 02:10
I've been doing iaido and kendo since 2001... I've lost track of the number of times someone has shown up to iaido practice with a "QVC Katana". Then they get mad/insulted when I hand them a bokken and tell them to practice with it until told otherwise. They tell me they want to use a "real sword" and I tell them they can't afford the real thing.

Always the mark of a good instructor. Half tang 440 stainless blades with shitty tempers and plastic handles put everyone in the room at risk.

My favorites are always the new guy who has a dragon head handle with fake rubies for eyes. Can't get enough of those.

:lol:

Koshinn
03-03-13, 02:26
I used to practice Bahala Na form of Eskrima when I was in So Cal for under grad. We practiced with rattan sticks, which actually would be a short sword of machete length (but different balance) in reality. A wakizashi would be a good approximation from Japan, although we use straight blades instead of curved to facilitate thrusting as well as cutting. Bahala Na especially is a very brutal form of Eskrima, which itself is a pretty brutal form of martial arts. The founder of Bahala Na developed it while killing Japanese Officers and NCOs in the jungles of the Philippines with a sword. It really doesn't pull any punches. It also trains primarily with knives, but open hand and long swords are also part of the art to a lesser degree.

I think it's worth checking out if you have the chance. A lot of modern combative programs borrow heavily from Eskrima for the non-grappling/groundwork portions.

There were more than a few "older" guys who could hold their own, mostly with experience, but also because the art is weapon-based, so fights end quick. Doesn't require quite the endurance and strength of something like Wushu Kung Fu.

SteyrAUG
03-03-13, 03:37
I used to practice Bahala Na form of Eskrima when I was in So Cal for under grad. We practiced with rattan sticks, which actually would be a short sword of machete length (but different balance) in reality. A wakizashi would be a good approximation from Japan, although we use straight blades instead of curved to facilitate thrusting as well as cutting. Bahala Na especially is a very brutal form of Eskrima, which itself is a pretty brutal form of martial arts. The founder of Bahala Na developed it while killing Japanese Officers and NCOs in the jungles of the Philippines with a sword. It really doesn't pull any punches. It also trains primarily with knives, but open hand and long swords are also part of the art to a lesser degree.

I think it's worth checking out if you have the chance. A lot of modern combative programs borrow heavily from Eskrima for the non-grappling/groundwork portions.

There were more than a few "older" guys who could hold their own, mostly with experience, but also because the art is weapon-based, so fights end quick. Doesn't require quite the endurance and strength of something like Wushu Kung Fu.

So you know words like "Bolo y daga", "Baston y bolo" and things like that.

I studied Arnis De Mano and Kali for a few years. Being a huge fan of Dan Inosanto got me interested in the Philippine systems and I later ran into some of Leo Gaje's guys due to his participation in Law Enforcement programs during the mid 80s. And of course I was big into balisongs and grabbed my first Jody Samson PCC Model 68 back in 1982.

One of the things I liked most about my Kali instructor is he was big on sparring. We grabbed some thin skinned rattan sticks and some Kendo armor and really went to town.

Koshinn
03-03-13, 03:46
So you know words like "Bolo y daga", "Baston y bolo" and things like that.

I studied Arnis De Mano and Kali for a few years. Being a huge fan of Dan Inosanto got me interested in the Philippine systems and I later ran into some of Leo Gaje's guys due to his participation in Law Enforcement programs during the mid 80s. And of course I was big into balisongs and grabbed my first Jody Samson PCC Model 68 back in 1982.

One of the things I liked most about my Kali instructor is he was big on sparring. We grabbed some thin skinned rattan sticks and some Kendo armor and really went to town.

Yeah! Although we never did dual weapons, it was pretty much always bolo and open hand, which is scary effective. It's basically attack, hold them in place with support hand (lol firearm term), and cut them to pieces while they struggle to get away.

We had a lot of Inosanto students in our classes actually.

We sparred a lot, but didn't use kendo armor, lol. We downgraded our weapons instead to padded sticks and continued to use rubber knives. Which still hurt.

Leo Giron founded Bahala Na Eskrima, and interestingly enough, he has a bio on the Inosanto site:
http://inosanto.com/?p=258

Eta: Oh wow, I didn't know Dan Inosanto sought out Leo Giron to learn "real" Eskrima from him. Learn something new every day.

wild_wild_wes
03-03-13, 10:05
MAMA

Hmm...din't know if it will catch on like MMA :D

Ed L.
03-03-13, 15:11
And yeah the safety latch is a pain in the ass. The officer version had a smaller push button release in the collar under the guard. Basically it prevented your sword from flying out in front of you and impaling you as you ran for cover under fire or dove into foxholes.

Now that makes sense for the safety latch.

thanks

FMA tends to be a good safe low impact workout for older martial artists--unless you keep getting your fingers wacked or are smashing each other full-contact dog brothers style. The FMA groups that I have dabbled in that met in a park somewhere have been relatively injury free.

SteyrAUG
03-03-13, 17:31
We sparred a lot, but didn't use kendo armor, lol. We downgraded our weapons instead to padded sticks and continued to use rubber knives. Which still hurt.

Kendo armor is great. When they finally started making Waki length Shinai we switched to those for escrima use. Then we realized we could link three of them together and suddenly we had "shinai style" three sectional staffs which meant sparring with that weapon for the first time. They already make mock spears and naginata for use with kendo armor so we quickly used those as spears and single end staffs for chinese boxing applications.

And in the course of doing so we convinced our instructors from every style that we just weren't right in the head.

SteyrAUG
03-03-13, 17:42
Now that makes sense for the safety latch.

thanks

FMA tends to be a good safe low impact workout for older martial artists--unless you keep getting your fingers wacked or are smashing each other full-contact dog brothers style. The FMA groups that I have dabbled in that met in a park somewhere have been relatively injury free.

There is even a third version where a leather strap on the scabbard goes through a hole in the guard near the handle and buckles the sword to the scabbard.

The swords were intended to be mostly ceremonial and symbolic. After all there is not much need for a katana when you are serving on a battleship or a Navy pilot. But they carried full size swords in the cockpits just the same.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/389130-4/a__p17

Japanese Navy swords are among the most impressive looking with navy blue wraps and a dark navy sharkskin textures scabbard and gold fittings.

Of course in places like Bataan and Nanking the swords became more functional than symbolic as members of the Imperial Army engaged in things like decapitation contests as they deluded themselves into thinking they were "just like Samurai."

Koshinn
03-04-13, 01:54
Kendo armor is great. When they finally started making Waki length Shinai we switched to those for escrima use. Then we realized we could link three of them together and suddenly we had "shinai style" three sectional staffs which meant sparring with that weapon for the first time. They already make mock spears and naginata for use with kendo armor so we quickly used those as spears and single end staffs for chinese boxing applications.

And in the course of doing so we convinced our instructors from every style that we just weren't right in the head.

Not sure why I thought of this, but I've been of the opinion for a while that there is exactly one best way to do something in a given situation. In looking for the best way to utilize the human body as a weapon, all the arts should be combined to find what's the most useful techniques and fuse them into one. I think that's what mcmas, army and af combatives, and other military programs around the world do, but I'd like to see it done for traditional weapons like blades of various lengths, spears, sword and shield, etc. A guy with medieval sword training probably can learn a lot from eastern martial arts, and vice versa I'd imagine. I think Bruce Lee was doing this with his Jeet Kune Do, but it could be expanded I think. A single system for everything. I wonder if pistols could be incorporated, sort of like the gun kata from Equilibrium/Ultraviolet, but not stupid.

SteyrAUG
03-04-13, 14:02
Not sure why I thought of this, but I've been of the opinion for a while that there is exactly one best way to do something in a given situation. In looking for the best way to utilize the human body as a weapon, all the arts should be combined to find what's the most useful techniques and fuse them into one. I think that's what mcmas, army and af combatives, and other military programs around the world do, but I'd like to see it done for traditional weapons like blades of various lengths, spears, sword and shield, etc. A guy with medieval sword training probably can learn a lot from eastern martial arts, and vice versa I'd imagine. I think Bruce Lee was doing this with his Jeet Kune Do, but it could be expanded I think. A single system for everything. I wonder if pistols could be incorporated, sort of like the gun kata from Equilibrium/Ultraviolet, but not stupid.

It's been attempted many times. Robert Bussey's Warrior International comes to mind with his attempt at a contemporary full circle system. But one needs to be careful with this idea because you can end up with absurd results.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Sword-Practical-Blade-Self-Defense/dp/1581605986/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362426777&sr=8-3&keywords=street+katana

http://images.angusrobertson.com.au/images/ar/97815816/9781581605983/0/0/plain/street-sword-practical-use-of-the-long-blade-for-self-defense.jpg

Also if we homogenize all existing systems we destroy the wells of knowledge that may be chosen from. Combative methods and needs are constantly evolving and classical systems are repeatedly modified for current applications. I think that is always the best way.

Certainly many of the traditional methods aren't as relevant as others, but as they were born from a time when they were the weapons of war, they have useful things to offer if you are astute enough to find them.

It's a lot like reading The Art of War and A Book of Five Rings. You have to be able to understand the concept and translate it to modern needs. But what would you prefer as original source material, those writings or a mid 20th century updated interpretation of those writings? It would probably be useful to read both of course, to see how the original texts were applied in WWII but the original lessons are still studied for a reason.

As for firearms...try this.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=445698

Ed L.
03-04-13, 21:54
I like thie post in this link:

As for firearms...try this.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=445698

Regarding this:
It's been attempted many times. Robert Bussey's Warrior International comes to mind with his attempt at a contemporary full circle system. But one needs to be careful with this idea because you can end up with absurd results.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Sword-Practical-Blade-Self-Defense/dp/1581605986/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362426777&sr=8-3&keywords=street+katana

http://images.angusrobertson.com.au/images/ar/97815816/9781581605983/0/0/plain/street-sword-practical-use-of-the-long-blade-for-self-defense.jpg
I need to mention that Phil Elmore is actually a friend of mine and has been so for at least 11 years. We've never met in person but we have talked on the phone for over a decade.

I don't agree with him on a bunch of things, but nevertheless consider him a good friend.

Having said that, his book Street Sword was written for Paladin Press with the intention of providing info on swords for home defense for those who lived someplace where they could not get a firearm for home defense.

In the book he clearly states that if you are thinking of carrying a sword in the street that it is time t put the book down.

Paladin decided to give it an title that they felt would be better for marketing, hence they titled it "Street Sword", and perhaps made some editorial changes.

Koshinn
03-04-13, 22:14

Regarding this:
I need to mention that Phil Elmore is actually a friend of mine and has been so for at least 11 years. We've never met in person but we have talked on the phone for over a decade.

I don't agree with him on a bunch of things, but nevertheless consider him a good friend.

Having said that, his book Street Sword was written for Paladin Press with the intention of providing info on swords for home defense for those who lived someplace where they could not get a firearm for home defense.

In the book he clearly states that if you are thinking of carrying a sword in the street that it is time t put the book down.

Paladin decided to give it an title that they felt would be better for marketing, hence they titled it "Street Sword", and perhaps made some editorial changes.

Not even samurai fought inside buildings with katana if they had a choice. The enclosed nature makes it hard to utilize the length of the blade without catching on walls and furniture. A bolo or wakizashi, on the other hand, I'd take in an instant if they were legal but guns were not.

Ed L.
03-04-13, 23:32
Not even samurai fought inside buildings with katana if they had a choice. The enclosed nature makes it hard to utilize the length of the blade without catching on walls and furniture. A bolo or wakizashi, on the other hand, I'd take in an instant if they were legal but guns were not.

That's exactly what I've thought whenever I take the Shin-Gunto out. And the Gunto has a 27" blade which is shorter than many Katanas.

I am not a sword person, which is obvious by this thread.

Really, there is no place in America where a resident cannot get some type of firearm for home defense. It may involve a lot of paperwork and jumping through hoops, and take some time. In the most restrictive places, you may be limited to a longarm with a 6 round capacity or a handgun with a 8 round capacity. But those are infinitely better defensive weapons for the average person than a sword.

If you lived in a really restrictive place like NYC or NJ where it might take 2-12 months before you could get your firearm permit, a bladed weapon like a bolo or wakizashi could be a good choice. But that is way outside the scope of this thread.

SteyrAUG
03-05-13, 13:37

Regarding this:

He might be a great guy, but truthfully "tactical sword for home defense" ANYTHING is treading deep into Ashida Kim territory (also Palandin Press I believe).

SteyrAUG
03-05-13, 13:43

Actually if you think about it a moment they did. They also typically had high ceilings and tables were generally no more than a foot off the ground. So if you were in a traditional Japanese home or castle there is lots of room to swing your katana about.

If you want to see an example of this, watch the film The Yakuza (1974) to see what happens in a Japanese dwelling when the swords come out. And to your point, there are more than a few wakizashi used.

About the only reason they wouldn't use a katana indoors is sometimes your katana was surrendered at the door and you only wore your wakizashi indoors.

But you are correct about the limitations one would encounter in a Western style home. But I can think of few situations where I would be forced to depend upon a sword to defend my home.

Koshinn
03-05-13, 13:57
Actually if you think about it a moment they did. They also typically had high ceilings and tables were generally no more than a foot off the ground. So if you were in a traditional Japanese home or castle there is lots of room to swing your katana about.

If you want to see an example of this, watch the film The Yakuza (1974) to see what happens in a Japanese dwelling when the swords come out. And to your point, there are more than a few wakizashi used.

About the only reason they wouldn't use a katana indoors is sometimes your katana was surrendered at the door and you only wore your wakizashi indoors.

But you are correct about the limitations one would encounter in a Western style home. But I can think of few situations where I would be forced to depend upon a sword to defend my home.

When you're attacked by ninjas, the only course of action is to fight back with a sword.

SteyrAUG
03-05-13, 23:54
When you're attacked by ninjas, the only course of action is to fight back with a sword.

They'd never get past MY ninjas.

Koshinn
03-06-13, 00:50

I really hope you're referring to kids/wife...

titsonritz
03-06-13, 03:47
Weapons function as small weights and require a great deal of coordination in many cases. They are also interesting and challenging enough to fill an hour of practice without being completely spent.

So a couple weeks ago I started drilling with the three sectional. Decided to do some video for self evaluation to help my progress. It's been a few years since I used it regularly and you can tell. Couple flubs and slips here and there. But at least I'm not killing myself with it.

Very cool, I always enjoy watching someone working the three sectional staff, it is my favorite martial art weapon. Your right about the coordination, I find working double nunchaku even more so when performing a different technique with each hand. Going blindfolded ups the game too.

I also dabbled with Arnis and believe it to be one of the most practical martial art weapon disciplines out there.

I just gave my old ninja uniform to by brother in law’s boy (12) along with a three sectional, sais (these stay with mom/dad and require supervision) and a pair of chucks. Every time I go over there I show him new and creative ways to crack himself.

SteyrAUG
03-06-13, 13:42
I really hope you're referring to kids/wife...

The might look like lawn care specialists and home improvement guys gathered from Home Depot parking lot but in reality each one is armed with shuriken and a swtichblade and they all have the secret Ashida Kim manual.

I have discovered I can keep them on the job around the clock at 75 cents an hour. Nobody can defeat my Vato Kai.

PdxMotoxer
03-06-13, 18:38
Very nice work with the three sectional.
i haven't touched one of those since umm late 80's i think. lol

Thanks n loved you vids.

Ed L.
03-06-13, 18:43
He might be a great guy, but truthfully "tactical sword for home defense" ANYTHING is treading deep into Ashida Kim territory (also Palandin Press I believe).

Yeah. Just because you can do some things does not mean you should do them.

This is why I never completed my book "Street Axe: using Berserker Tactics in home defense."

On a different sideline, if I had the disposable income that I did not need to be able to spend on a decent or half-decent wakizashi, I would be much better off contributing the money to the NRA-ILA.

Koshinn
03-06-13, 19:08
Yeah. Just because you can do some things does not mean you should do them.

This is why I never completed my book "Street Axe: using Berserker Tactics in home defense."

On a different sideline, if I had the disposable income that I did not need to be able to spend on a decent or half-decent wakizashi, I would be much better off contributing the money to the NRA-ILA.

Street Axe: Sending home invaders to Valhalla.

Finish it.

SteyrAUG
03-06-13, 19:55
Street Axe: Sending home invaders to Valhalla.

Finish it.

Need to work the word "Tactical" into the title somehow, and if you can "operators."

Koshinn
03-06-13, 20:10
Need to work the word "Tactical" into the title somehow, and if you can "operators."

Tactical Tomahawk?

Tactical Assault Axe?

An operator's guide to welcoming home invaders to Valhalla?

SteyrAUG
03-06-13, 23:58
Tactical Tomahawk?

Tactical Assault Axe?

An operator's guide to welcoming home invaders to Valhalla?

Assault Axe: Tactical Applications for the Advanced Operator.

[insert suitable logo of viking motif with skull and crossbones elements]

"Welcome to Valhalla"

You wouldn't last two weeks at Paladin Press.

Koshinn
03-07-13, 01:15
Assault Axe: Tactical Applications for the Advanced Operator.

[insert suitable logo of viking motif with skull and crossbones elements]

"Welcome to Valhalla"

You wouldn't last two weeks at Paladin Press.

Haha. Ok now someone needs to write the book.

It needs to have sections on how to cut the tail off of a Super Cobra, how to loot/rape/kill/drink your way to Valhalla, the differences between an assault axe and regular axe, and how to concealed carry an assault axe.

Watrdawg
03-28-13, 09:45
I'm fairly new to martial arts but I definitely know what you mean by the middle aged part. I'm 49. I've been doing TKD and Krav for about 2yrs now and have pulled hamstrings a couple of times. Interestingly though it hasn't been during sparring. It's been during forms. I just tweaked a groin muscle the other night kicking a bag.

SteyrAUG
03-28-13, 12:00
I'm fairly new to martial arts but I definitely know what you mean by the middle aged part. I'm 49. I've been doing TKD and Krav for about 2yrs now and have pulled hamstrings a couple of times. Interestingly though it hasn't been during sparring. It's been during forms. I just tweaked a groin muscle the other night kicking a bag.

I don't know how much time you devote to slow, deliberate stretching but double it. I "try" and do a 5 minute stretch routine twice a day if I can. Has spared me LOTS of injury.

Watrdawg
03-28-13, 12:07
I usually get to class about 15 minutes early and stretch until the next class ends. I'm in class 3 nights a week. Of that sparring is only 1 night for an hour. TKD for 3 nights and after that Krav is 2 of those nights. Basically in class 2hrs or so a night. Will definitely stretch more.