PDA

View Full Version : thumb screws for viking tactics light mount

Lengradde
03-15-08, 03:21
I've seen a couple pictures of the highly regarded Viking Tactics light mount with thumb screws. To those of you who have this, where did you get those screws?

I'm trying to decide between that or http://www.botachtactical.com/kzqureofflmo.html

The KZ sure looks nice and keeps a low profile. The only flaw I can see is that it just isn't as wide as the Viking Tactics mount, so it might not be as sturdy? The KZ also moves the light a little further down than the Viking.

sonrider657
03-16-08, 05:40
The Viking mount is certainly economical but it is also very poorly made and lacks the features of the KZ mount. The Viking mount secures the flashlight with set screws that dig into the flashlight body - you will scratch and/or dent your flashlight. Secondly, the surface finish of the Viking mount indicates that it is made in a very cheap injection mold (having worked in the molding industry for years, the Viking mount is one of the worst molded parts that I have seen). I recommend examining one closely before buying to see if you can live with the appearance (it is apparent why they only cost $20). I got one and refused to mount it to my rifle.

Having said all of that, the Viking mount is functional and will do the job - just don't expect a finely made product.

ST911
03-16-08, 09:19
I recommend examining one closely before buying to see if you can live with the appearance (it is apparent why they only cost $20). I got one and refused to mount it to my rifle.

Having said all of that, the Viking mount is functional and will do the job - just don't expect a finely made product.

How does the appearance of the mount adversely affect performance?

Important points for the "fit and finish" crowd, but lost on the umpteen users out working hard with them.

Erick Gelhaus
03-16-08, 11:12
... The Viking mount secures the flashlight with set screws that dig into the flashlight body - you will scratch and/or dent your flashlight. ...

Uh, I'm not getting this. Its a flashlight mount for (theoretically) a fighting weapon. Who cares if it scratches or dents the light's tube? As long as it keeps the light on the weapon, I don't care if the tube gets scratched.

RD62
03-16-08, 13:30
I sprayed my Viking mount and G2 with Aluma-Hyde FDE and like a spaz didn't let em cure enough before I remounted and tried them out. The paint is now worn in a few spots and the black shows through. Will their ugliness effect their performance? :D

Really though, I had some reservations about the mounts durability, but they thus far seem unfounded. It seems pretty durable fully assembled, and if I break it I'll only be out a few bucks and I'll pick up the new VLTOR mount which is similarly styled. Aluminum, thumb screws, squeezes the light and rail at same time so it probably wont F-up the light too bad. There is a picture here (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12129).

I don't know where you can get the thumb screws. They'd be neat, but I really don't take my light of and on very much. The light mounting screws do dig into the light, but it was already beat up when I put it in the mount. Works good though!

I also really like the 10:00 postion the mount puts my light in. Tight against the rail. I feel it helps reduce clearance issues when shooting around a barricade.

I don't have any experience with KZ products, but have had some issues with Botach in the past (I think most have). I think if you want to go with aluminum wait for the VLTOR other wise give the Viking a shot for $20.

-RD62

Lengradde
03-16-08, 18:05
Cool, wasn't aware Vltor had a new mount. I'm guessing it will be a while before I can order it? Suddenly nothing else feels like an option anymore, as it seems to combine the best of the Viking Tactics mount with the best of the KZ.

Is there any chance you know the weight of it? As always, I try to cut down on weapon weight whenever possible.

rhino
03-17-08, 01:34
After seeing my light fly downrange from more than one crappy light mount that failed to hold it properly, the fact that the Viking Tactics mount screw dig into the flashlight body a little is a bonus feature to me. When I fire my gun or throw it around, I know for certain that the light isn't going anywhere that the gun doesn't go.

Let's see:

It holds the light tightly, exactly where I want it.
It does not move.
It does not allow the light to leave the gun like a missile, or move at all.
It is very lightweight.
It is simple and easy to install/use.
It doesn't cost very much.

That's all I really care about. My level of concern over a few superficial, cosmetic scratches and dents is somewhere between the elevation of Death Valley and the level of my love and admiration for hippies. :D

Jay Cunningham
03-18-08, 08:12
I think the VTAC w/G2 works great...

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1613/middy002jo3.jpg

Mantis
03-18-08, 09:58
I like how the Viking mount tucks the light in. No complaints here of its construction.
I got those YHM thumbscrews from:

Calvin Hall
BrightFlashlights.com
brightflashlights@gmail.com
(352) 732-2156

RojasTKD
04-02-08, 11:06
Having said all of that, the Viking mount is functional and will do the job .

Good enough for me. There are other things I'd rather sink my money (the little I currently have) into. ;)

markm
04-02-08, 11:12
Tag. I just ordered one of these mounts to try.

Steve
04-02-08, 11:29
The one's i have from vtac are soild.

and have logged a lot of miles and rough use.
another vote here for vtac.

Victor
04-03-08, 23:58
I've got over 10K rounds on my fighting gun with numerous carbine courses....The rifle HAS been banged up repeatedly and I've never had an issue with V-Tac mount period. It's also on 3 other carbines as well with no sign of problems. As for scratches, dents, etc in my light? Don't know as its never moved from its mount. ;) Hope this helps.

Vic

Ridge_Runner_5
04-04-08, 18:11
Im happy with my VTAC with a CAA light in it!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/100_5875.jpg

ARin
04-14-08, 23:16
my VTAC mount sits in my junk box too.

i dont like anything attached to my rifle that i imagine i can grab and twist off with my hand.

and securing things with setscrews always seems unsat to me.

nickdrak
04-16-08, 00:08
I have owned/used the same VTac light mount on several different rifles in several different configurations over the past 4 years since I was sent one for free. It now resides on my Krebs AK. It is very solid, and I dont think there is a way to break the mount unless you decide to use your rifle as a impact device against a brick wall. At that point of a fight, I dont think your rifle or your lights intended useage will come in much handy. I have absolutely zero reservations on the durability of the VTac light mount. Cheap? YES (mine was free). Junk? HELL NO! Heres mine:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2zsv4eh.jpg

markm
04-16-08, 08:53
I got mine yesterday. I haven't mounted it yet, but it definitely seems strong enough... stronger than I thought it'd be.

The only thing that'll prevent me from really loving it is that it is NOT a fast attach mount. I really like fast attach because of the bulk any light adds to a gun.

NCPatrolAR
04-16-08, 22:30

i dont like anything attached to my rifle that i imagine i can grab and twist off with my hand.

Did you secure it first? I'm using these mounts on two AKs and 3 ARs and there is no way you can just "twist them" off with your hands. The lights are secured tightly in the mount itself and the mount is tighter than hell. These have become my light mounts of choice.

DocGKR
04-17-08, 01:43
We've had no trouble with numerous VTAC light mounts...we've never had one come off yet. Quick detach lights are not something we need; all fighting rifles need a light--once the light is on the rifle, it stays on.

Erick Gelhaus
04-17-08, 08:56

Can I have it please? I can always use another and that'd give yours a good home.

markm
04-17-08, 18:37
Quick detach lights are not something we need; all fighting rifles need a light--once the light is on the rifle, it stays on.

I like this thing! I mounted mine a little differently because of my sling attachment point. But this mount keeps the light so close to the handguard I can leave it on full time.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson001.jpg?t=1208474759

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson002.jpg?t=1208474851

Ridge_Runner_5
04-17-08, 19:34
I tried putting mine that way but didnt like it...I have it on the bottom in front of my VFG so I can just push it with my thumb...

Steve
04-17-08, 19:51
Those that talk Ill of it are those who have usually never ran one...

as Dano said if its on the gun its on the gun for a reason so it stays there. mine are on and locktighted.... never an issue in over k's of rounds... so can i be next line for it,.

markm
04-17-08, 23:06
I tried putting mine that way but didnt like it...I have it on the bottom in front of my VFG so I can just push it with my thumb...

That's cool. I don't run VFGs, and I really like my lights above the bore axis. I'll have to try this out for a while since I just mounted it today. But so far, I really like it.

ARin
04-26-08, 03:50
ive tried running my lights above bore like that but didnt like that it cluttered my view a bit.

as a lefty, i have been running it at the 7-8 o clock position, and the body of the light isnt in my vision at all, which i like.

is there other advantages of having the light above the bore that im not aware of?:confused:
Ive been seeing quite a few folks running compact pistol type lights at the 12 position.

markm
04-26-08, 13:43
is there other advantages of having the light above the bore that im not aware of?:confused:

Preference for me. I like to be able to rest my rifle on a piece of cover if I need to, so VFGs and bottom mounted lights are not acceptable to me. And side mount is just too damned bulky because I'll end up banging the light into everything. I like to be able to lay my guns down on either side without having to be delicate because of the light.

MX5
04-28-08, 08:49
I use primarily Viking and DD light mounts. The DD are better made and more expensive. However, the Viking is on 4 carbines that get used very hard and no issues so far. One of the carbines is used in training only as a test bed for parts and ammo, has been used VERY hard, dropped from vehicles and heights, banged into doorways and walls and has yet to break. Only once did I have any issues with it. I was testing Surefire 9V lights (3 cell, 123 batteries) on it. The extra weight of the light/battery combination had 2 ill effects. First, the light pulled away from the set screws and slid back and forth due to recoil, no matter how hard tightened. 3 small dimples drilled into the Surefire body fixed that. Second, the weight of the 3 batteries caused the non-shock isolated heads to blow repeatedly within 1 magazine. Switching to a shock isolated head or back to a 6V lights cured that issue. Regardless, the Viking mounts keep holding steady and haven't failed.

1 of these has the thumb screws and I think they're YHM.

Lancelot
05-01-08, 17:00
I have had one for several years. I am about to order a second one. I know a couple of big name trainers that run them on their personal guns. I seriously doubt that you could rip it off with your hand. I have beat the crap out of mine and its never budged.

El Cid
05-01-08, 20:08
I have a VTAC mount on my AR and one on my Mossberg. Love them! One of the exceptions to the idea that you get what you pay for.

markm
05-02-08, 08:34
I am about to order a second one.

Me too. I need another G2 to put in it too.

NCPatrolAR
05-02-08, 14:53
I use primarily Viking and DD light mounts. The DD are better made and more expensive. However, the Viking is on 4 carbines that get used very hard and no issues so far. One of the carbines is used in training only as a test bed for parts and ammo, has been used VERY hard, dropped from vehicles and heights, banged into doorways and walls and has yet to break. Only once did I have any issues with it. I was testing Surefire 9V lights (3 cell, 123 batteries) on it. The extra weight of the light/battery combination had 2 ill effects. First, the light pulled away from the set screws and slid back and forth due to recoil, no matter how hard tightened. 3 small dimples drilled into the Surefire body fixed that. Second, the weight of the 3 batteries caused the non-shock isolated heads to blow repeatedly within 1 magazine. Switching to a shock isolated head or back to a 6V lights cured that issue. Regardless, the Viking mounts keep holding steady and haven't failed.

I'm currently running several G3LEDs in order to avoid these problems. So far, so good.

coble0369
07-29-08, 23:28
I got a VTAC Mount a few weeks ago, I gave up on it after about an hour of trying to get my G2 in it. Did anyone else have problems getting the light to fit inside?

markm
07-30-08, 08:19
I got a VTAC Mount a few weeks ago, I gave up on it after about an hour of trying to get my G2 in it. Did anyone else have problems getting the light to fit inside?

I've put 2 G2s in my Vtac mounts. They're a little snug, but they fit.

Did you BACK OUT the set screws to make sure they're not preventing the light from going into the mount?

coble0369
07-30-08, 15:09
Yes, took out all the screws completely...Just didn't know If you had to ease the light in, I guess you have to force it in huh?

markm
07-30-08, 15:28
Yes, took out all the screws completely...Just didn't know If you had to ease the light in, I guess you have to force it in huh?

You have to be a little aggressive with it. I remember it popping in, and I just tightened the set screws where it stopped so I wouldn't have to fight it.