PDA

View Full Version : Primers, powder and bullets, Oh My!

esw
03-01-13, 21:13
Christmas came early. I've been picking up whatever materials I can, when I can. In the door today came 1000 z-max 55 Gr bullets, 200 V-max, a bunch of sierras, a bunch of Hornady 52 to 55 grn. About 2200 total. I also received 5 pounds of powder including IMR 4985, and BLC-2. I got 3300 Winchester primers for small rifle, 1200 small pistol and 400 large pistol.

I've had my father on the look out in his smaller town (45k), which has two solid gun/reloading shops. A Word to the wise: Forget looking online, in the big stores and big cities. Look in the smaller stores, in smaller towns.

The prices were out of control, $69 per thousand for primers, but I'm glad to have them. $712 later I'm loaded up on materials. The primers were the only gouging I saw.

Bonus my father brought me some old RCBS dies too in .223, (2 set)25-06, (2 sets) 30-06, 7mm, and a bunch of others. I also scored a bunch of new old shot bags that we used to use for sand bags, and about 20 reloading manuals. I'm pumped with my haul.

If you are still looking for materials check the smaller towns. I went into Cabela's last weekend the there we easily 300 people in the gun area, I won't be going back soon.

Confed-rifleman
03-01-13, 21:36
Still paying $32 for CCI and $36 (per 1000) for Federal Gold Medal primers at my local little supply house.

esw
03-01-13, 22:38
Still paying $32 for CCI and $36 (per 1000) for Federal Gold Medal primers at my local little supply house.

Care to share, where? :smile:

Confed-rifleman
03-02-13, 00:31
I will say that it is a small shop in SW Michigan and they don't have a website. They are out of most common projectiles and powders for .223 and .308. Primer supply is getting low and they do have a limit of 2000 per customer. I go there 1-2 times a week to pick up what I can and see what they have. I know, I'm a selfish bastard for being secretive about the name and exact location. It's a place that's overlooked by all but dedicated reloaders in the area.

SouthGA
03-02-13, 06:39
I was lucky as heck yesterday to find 8# of Hogdon 322 at fiar prices.

eperk
03-03-13, 07:33
I'm pretty lucky in North Mississippi. There are three small dealers around here that have plenty of primers and powder. Powder prices haven't gone up but primers are now $39 per 1k.
Bullets are a little harder to find, but between the three of them you can usually find what you want.
I've been able to find bullets on Midway from time to time but brass is nearly impossible to get. Ordered some from TopBrass in Jan. and don't expect to get it till April at the earliest.

bp7178
03-03-13, 08:18
If that is the case why not buy just enough to get you through the gouging? Then buy when your money goes farther. If Im wrong and he will go through that in two months than i understand.

My local gun shop which sells reloading supplies will only sell 200 primers at a time.

M4Triumph
03-03-13, 09:11
cabela's has some small rifle & pistol primers
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=JC-210757

SouthGA
03-03-13, 17:53
Thanks for the tip.

I was able to buy 5K of these along with another 5K for my shooting partner to help split the HazMat and Shipping.

By the way Cablelas only charges $20 for HazMat fee.

Tennvol12345
03-03-13, 18:50
Times like this I'm glad I buy 1 year ahead. Right after the election I bought 50K winchester SP primers and powder. I shoot about that much a year though...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jstone
03-03-13, 21:19
Price gouging! It ain't over till it's over.It could be a very, very, VERY long time.

It is already starting to subside. Things are coming back in stock. Every couple of days you see a thread that talks about places that are getting shipments.

The only thing keeping things from getting back to where they used to be is the speculators that buy all of what is in stock to sell at a huge mark up.

To spend a little over 700$ on what little the op purchased is just crazy. Why not just wait it out until prices normalize. Instead of shooting 400-700 rounds per trip to the range why not limit it to 100-400. Spread out what you have so you do not need to pay the ridiculous prices. The fact that people will pay the prices is what is keeping the prices high.

Even if i did not have a single round, primer, or bullet i would not pay what the going price is. I can understand buying ar's and magazines for higher prices due to the fact they may be gone, but ammo is not going anywhere. The only reason i could see paying the crazy price for components is if you had a big competition upcoming and you were out of components.

duece71
03-04-13, 05:53
Bought 2000 Wolf primers (Large Pistol and Small Rifle-223) at a local gun show yesterday. $60 out the door. Yes, its double the usual price for Wolf, but I thought I would give them a try. The vendor had 50k+ on the floor.

platoonDaddy
03-04-13, 06:52
Care the share, where? :smile:

How does Winfield Kansas sound? Received a large order at Power Valley normal prices. You just need to check them twice a day and when they are available, jump in and order.

esw
03-04-13, 18:38
How does Winfield Kansas sound? Received a large order at Power Valley normal prices. You just need to check them twice a day and when they are available, jump in and order.

Powder Valley is sold out.

esw
03-04-13, 18:43
cabela's has some small rifle & pistol primers
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=JC-210757

Cabelas is sold out.

markm
03-05-13, 07:21
I do not know how someone who shoots could not have any ammunition or how someone that loads there own can run out of components.

Years back... I used to be that way.... I'd have a few pound of powder on hand and just used the gun store as a storage facility... hand to mouth loading as ammo was needed.

Now my shit looks like a Hodgdon retail display case. I literally misplaced 8 lbs of powder in the corner of the room, off the shelf and barely noticed it. :p

eightmillimeter
03-07-13, 21:53
Got a Product arrival notification from Midway USA for .355 125gr Gold Dot (100 rd box) which are the GD's for the 357 Sig, a bullet that I have been waiting to be in stock since before the scare. Logged in with my phone and ordered 5 boxes right away. Now you wouldn't think demand would be high for this particular item but it was sold out five minutes later................... its going to be a long year.

eperk
03-08-13, 06:12
Scored 750 55gr Nosler Varmageddon on Midway yesterday. It was still there last night. Limit 5 boxes at 250 bullets per box. Good price too.