PDA

View Full Version : Reducing COAL to fit chamber in 9mm.

Memnok
03-02-13, 00:45
Howdy all.

I received some Montana Gold 124 gr JHP's a while back and started fiddling with them tonight. I am using WSF and have a starting load of 4.7 grains. The only data I can find is from the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center, and it shows a COAL of 1.169 inches. Problem is, the 124's wont fully seat into the chamber of my XD9 unless they are 1.110 or less. That's .059" less than the load calls for.

With only 4.7gr under the 124 it is not compressed, but I don't want to cause a pressure spike that could be dangerous.

I would like to stick with the WSF if possible, I have 8 lbs on hand, and it meters +/- .1grain in my RCBS Uniflow. I also have some Bullseye, but it meters like crap (+/- .2 or .3 grains in both the Lee PPM and RCBS Uniflow), and with the narrow margin for error in 9mm with Bullseye, I don't really feel safe using it.

So, to make a long story long, will reducing the COAL from 1.169 to 1.110 create an unsafe increase in pressure?

steyrman13
03-02-13, 01:04
I just started loading with Bullseye in 9mm. What narrow margin do you speak of?

Memnok
03-02-13, 08:36
I just started loading with Bullseye in 9mm. What narrow margin do you speak of?

3.9 to 4.4 is the range given for Bullseye in the Speer reloading manual. If you set your charge weight at 4.1 grains, given how poorly it meters for me, +/- even .2 grains will put you near max on one load, and minimum on the next.

shootist~
03-02-13, 09:12
Somethings not right.

Are you sure it's the bullet and not some other issue - like are you using a taper crimp die to close the bell after expanding the case? Get out your calipers and start measuring OD from the end of the case mouth down. Compare to factory ammo, although reloaded ammo that's a few thou wider a most points should be fine.

davestarbuck
03-02-13, 17:35
You'll be fine with a shorter OAL. I used those same bullets with an OAL of 1.12.....with Bullseye. I won't mention the load because it was HOT! My Glocks loved them!

WSF is a much more forgiving powder than Bullseye BTW.

steyrman13
03-02-13, 19:06
Good info. I was trying out different loads with a Glock 17 and M&P Fullsize. The glock was fine with 4.0-4.5, it like 4.2 the best. The M&P would not lock back on empty mag until it got to the 4.3 load

Memnok
03-03-13, 01:04
You'll be fine with a shorter OAL. I used those same bullets with an OAL of 1.12.....with Bullseye. I won't mention the load because it was HOT! My Glocks loved them!

WSF is a much more forgiving powder than Bullseye BTW.

Thanks for the info. I use WSF for exactly that reason. Plus, it meters soooo much better than Bullseye.

M-Bear
03-09-13, 06:22
WSF 1.169"oal 4.7gr 1015 fps 27,700 PSI 5.3 gr 1115 fps 32,700 PSI
I shoot 4.9 gr with an OAL of 1.125 with no pressure issues. Dropping the OAL down more will increase pressure more. I would think you would be OK but if you don't have a crono you can't be sure. If I were you I would check on th XD forums were people are used to reloading that short.

steyrman13
03-09-13, 07:22
If you could try some Black Talon 147gr or any factory 147gr for that matter and see if it will chamber they will most likely have the longest COAL. I don't have them or a mic handy right now but I believe they are at the max COAL. If they will chamber it is definitely an issue with your hand loads as mentioned above crimp, or something else. Surely Springfield considered people shooting 124 or 147 through there chambers? Most police loads are 124 and 147 gr which are longer by nature

markm
03-12-13, 07:53
Seat the bullets to the chamber. Not some goofy textbook spec. Bullet shapes vary widely.

I fell into this waste of time where you're calipering every friggin dimension on the round. Complete waste of time.... Calipers do have their place... don't get me wrong.

Seat the bullet to where they'll chamber, and straighten out the case wall. DONE! ;)

jstone
03-13-13, 06:47
Seat the bullets to the chamber. Not some goofy textbook spec. Bullet shapes vary widely.

I fell into this waste of time where you're calipering every friggin dimension on the round. Complete waste of time.... Calipers do have their place... don't get me wrong.

Seat the bullet to where they'll chamber, and straighten out the case wall. DONE! ;)

This is the best way to deal will a pistol round that is to long.