PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been interviews with ex-professional criminals...

Magic_Salad0892
03-02-13, 06:51
about what they look for in a victim?

Why don't we consult with them to form defensive tactics?

Airhasz
03-02-13, 08:52
Weak, old, female, wealthy are some wild guess.

cqbdriver
03-02-13, 09:01
I remember one were that showed convicts photos or videos of people leaving a building and asked which one would they hit. Results almost same from all - didn't matter if male, female, old, youth, big, small, rich or poor. Ones not paying attention were targeted.

ETA I believe study was in one of Rangemasters newsletters. I don't remember which one, but lots more info in his newsletters:
http://www.rangemaster.com/publications/newsletters/newsletter-archives.html

cqbdriver
03-02-13, 09:07
Fat fingered quote instead of edit

CarlosDJackal
03-02-13, 09:09
IIRC, there was a study conducted by Graduate students in New York back in the 70s or 80s. They filmed people walking down a sidewalk and then asked them to fill out a questionnaire about themselves (ie: what you do for a living, any self-defense training, etc) if they agreed to let the researchers use their video.

The movies were then shown to convicted felons who were still serving time for violent crimes. The felons were asked if they would consider victimizing the individual shown. A lot of them considered the subjects "White Bread".

The interesting result was individuals who the researchers assumed the felons would drool at (a very attractive petite blonde) as a definite victim was not chosen. The felons supposedly hesitated and stated that there was something about the way she carried herself made them hesitate to even consider her as a victim. Turns out the subject was a Detective or something like that. Not only did she know how to use the gun she carried, she was a Martial Arts practitioner.

I wish I can remember the school that the Graduate students attended and the actual year. But I first learned about this study more than 11-yearss ago.

brushy bill
03-02-13, 11:34
If memory serves, there have been several of these type studies. Here's a link to one book, which also contains survey info on their weapons/methods of acquiring them/etc

http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Considered-Dangerous-Firearms-Institutions/dp/0202305422

rojocorsa
03-02-13, 11:48
It's simple: Don't look and act like pray. Stand straight and walk assertively and with purpose. Keep your gaze forward, not down.

And don't be in condition white.

D. Christopher
03-02-13, 12:21
These days there are no shortage of targets in America. For example, go to a highly liberal area, preferably a "gun-free zone" or a city and state with draconian gun laws like Chicago for example. This tilts the odds in your favor that the victim won't be armed and can't resist with deadly force. Then just take a look all around you at the people walking down the street and even driving in their cars who have their heads down looking at their phones. They may even be wearing headphones or ear buds so not only will they not see you coming, they won't hear you either. Lambs to the slaughter.

If the criminals don't get them first they'll just end up walking into traffic or in front of a train. And if the drivers don't get carjacked first they'll just end up crashing their cars while texting. We have millions of people in this country who aren't smart enough to use a phone or drive a car and they're doing BOTH at the same time. :rolleyes:

DireWulf
03-02-13, 12:37

The FBI has done this for years. They interview serial and mass killers who are willing to talk and as you might expect, most of those sociopathic narcissists talk. They and the National Institute of Justice conduct a wide range studies into offender and victim profiles for all manner of violent crimes. They study behavior patterns, motivations and tactics. Some incidents are investigated down to the the smallest detail. There is now extensive study going on with respect to the Christopher Dornier incidents and there will be a lessons learned paper issued. These studies are what shape how investigators hunt for, apprehend, interrogate and prosecute offenders. These studies influence sentencing guidelines and correctional policies as well. They are, in part, what shapes the ever changing defensive tactics training that law enforcement receives. These tactics are formed to help offset the advantages that most predatory criminals have over law enforcement and by extension, you. Those tactics are disseminated across the country and find their way into the training classes that you are hopefully taking with reputable instructors.

Voodoo_Man
03-02-13, 12:42
There was a class I took last year, LE-only, that had a good amount of footage of behind-bars/lifers/death row criminals who assaulted and/or killed LEO's (and others). They spoke about what they thought before, during and after, they described the things they picked out when they attacked a LEO and so on.

I do not know if it LE-only material, so I will not comment specifically on it (opsec and all that), but it does exist.

Moose-Knuckle
03-02-13, 16:12

In his book, Eric Haney discussed how they consulted with career criminals (specifically professional burglars) on their skill sets when they were forming 1st SFOD-D.

Also if you not familiar with Frank Abagnale, he became a security consultant and has been in the employ of the likes of the DOJ.

Magic_Salad0892
03-03-13, 06:02
Thanks for the answers, guys.

I'll see if I can find those books, and if there are any other resources we can dump them in this thread.

Hootiewho
03-03-13, 06:28
There was a study back years ago that I believe the FBI did, and it may be what the other guys are referencing, but it had to do with when LEO's get attacked. It cited things like uniform appearance and if their firearm was well kept/worn vs unused & dirty/unkept as indicators of being attacked. Hard to say how this relates to the fact that so many LEO's wear more tactical gear now, but the bottom line is, most crooks are cowards. If they are going to act, they are going to act. Your S/A is key regardless.

Moose-Knuckle
03-04-13, 00:56
Thanks for the answers, guys.

I'll see if I can find those books, and if there are any other resources we can dump them in this thread.

Inside Delta Force by Eric L. Haney:
http://www.amazon.com/INSIDE-DELTA-FORCE-ERIC-HANEY/dp/B001K699WI/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362377694&sr=1-4&keywords=inside+delta+force

Keep in mind that he did elaborate upon the specifics skills they learned from the inmates in his book for obvious reasons. Simply stated the fact that they learned all they could from them.

As for Frank Abagnale Jr., he has authored multiple books.
http://www.amazon.com/Frank-W.-Abagnale/e/B001IGHOAE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1362377967&sr=1-1

Also read up on William Ewart Fairbairn, he was a combative instructor who learned a lot from the criminals on the streets of Shanghai.

Moose-Knuckle
03-04-13, 01:09
While not from the criminal perspective these are invaluable reads from some of our own SMEs.

Pre-incident indicators of violent, civilian events:

Jason Falla (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101711)

Pat McNamara (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101713)

Mike Pannone (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101715)

brushy bill
03-04-13, 08:29
Salad,

James D Wright and Peter H Rossi did a number of studies in this area. Worth a read.