PDA

View Full Version : DPMS INFO

Pic
03-15-08, 11:09
Hoping yall could help I picked up a DPMS with a collapsable stock,detachable carry handle and free floating pictatiny foregourd.NIB I have been told by others who shoot AR's that I am going to have feeding problems, the fit would losen up and become sloppy over time. I thought DPMS was a good product, know I wonder if I should unload this rifle and maybe get a Bushmaster or something else. I do not have alot to spend on repairs nor buying one of the higher end AR's. Your advise would be helpful. But I have since found I these guys may not be the ones to listen to because they own a shop & push olypics pretty hard. Thanks

panzerr
03-15-08, 12:40
Are you going to shoot thousands of rounds a year through it? If not, you don't need anything more...

Pic
03-15-08, 14:13
penzerr thanks for your service for our country!!!!!!!!!!!!

panzerr
03-15-08, 14:21
penzerr thanks for your service for our country!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still haven't learned how to react to grattitude like this....I appreciate the recognition.

C4IGrant
03-15-08, 14:35
Hoping yall could help I picked up a DPMS with a collapsable stock,detachable carry handle and free floating pictatiny foregourd.NIB I have been told by others who shoot AR's that I am going to have feeding problems, the fit would losen up and become sloppy over time. I thought DPMS was a good product, know I wonder if I should unload this rifle and maybe get a Bushmaster or something else. I do not have alot to spend on repairs nor buying one of the higher end AR's. Your advise would be helpful. But I have since found I these guys may not be the ones to listen to because they own a shop & push olypics pretty hard. Thanks

Have you contacted the manufacturer about your issues?

C4

JRT6Pack
03-16-08, 12:45
Don't get too worked up over problems you "might" have. Take the gun out, shoot it, get to know it, try different ammo.

I really doubt you're going to have any issues with the gun. I've owned several DPMS guns, new and used, since the early 90s and never had any serious issues with any of them. I've been selling them along with every other major brand for almost 8 years and never had any customer complaints.

It'll work just fine for you.

signal4l
03-16-08, 13:27
My PD has a total of 32 AR-15 type weapons in service. 12 of these are DPMS. The rest are M-16, Colt CAR and Bushmasters.

The DPMS are the newest. My issued DPMS had the ejector stick in th bolt. I noticed an accumulation of brass shavings in the bolt. I replaced it with a non DPMS ejactor and it now works fine. Another DPMS carbine had the mag cath fracture vertically during a reload.

I am aware of zero issues of parts breakage/ failures with the non DPMS guns which have been in serice for 10 + years. We have had the DPMS guns for 2 years.

NetJunkie
03-16-08, 17:20
My apologies for the "snob" comment. I did not mean it as an insult only that some people are really passionate about certain things that others are not. I myself am a coffee snob. I don't see it as a bad thing. Only that I put extra importance on things that others may not. The OP seems to be looking for a plinker so in my opinion the rifle he has will work. If he needed it every day and his life depended on it I'd also recommend another option.

johnson601
03-16-08, 20:49
Plenty of AR snobs in the world. Go shoot and enjoy your DPMS. I predict you'll have no problems and a lot of enjoyment.

AR Snobs?? :rolleyes: Yeah, guess I am a snob then.....

johnson601
03-16-08, 20:52
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

NetJunkie
03-16-08, 21:02
AR Snobs?? :rolleyes: Yeah, guess I am a snob then.....

I didn't mean it as an insult. I consider myself a snob of several things...and I don't consider it a bad thing. My point was that some people get caught up on this stuff. Some people take it more serious than others. I think he will enjoy his DPMS and won't have any problems. If he does they'll fix it. I know several people with DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, etc that shoot a lot of 3 gun matches and have no issues.

The OP himself said the information came from another shop that sells Olympic. He isn't interested in paying the cost of a high end AR. It sounds to me like he bought the right tool for the job.

Don Robison
03-16-08, 21:11
Plenty of AR snobs in the world. Go shoot and enjoy your DPMS. I predict you'll have no problems and a lot of enjoyment.

If purchasing quality weapons you can stake your life on makes you a snob; then count me in:rolleyes:
I predict it will be fine for a plinker and will choke if run hard for a couple of training classes. The odds are in my favor:D

I did find it interesting that a shop hawking Oly would bad mouth DPMS. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle a spoon:eek:

Nastynewt
03-16-08, 21:53
I wouldn't worry to much about the DPMS they are now owned by the same company as Bushmaster and Remington ..... Cerberus

NetJunkie
03-16-08, 21:57
I wouldn't worry to much about the DPMS they are now owned by the same company as Bushmaster and Remington ..... Cerberus

Think any of their assembly has changed due to that? Would be an interesting comparison to see a before/after.

While on this same topic... How do the DPMS .308 rifles compare to others? That's a more narrow field without as many competitors. I have a LRT-SASS on order....that'll be my first DPMS gun (other than some stripped lowers stocked away).

skyugo
03-16-08, 22:58
if you're on a budget get a stag. :cool:

K9-Bob
03-17-08, 02:18

Shoot your rifle and judge for yourself whether it proves reliable or not. You will find many here that will bash Bushmaster also. Use good quality ammo and mags and learn how to clean and maintain your new rifle. Below is something I found on the net and adapted it for AR-15 owners.....;)

Typical AR-15 Fanatic

1) Choose AR-15 carefully. Agonize over it.
2) Buy AR-15.
3) Start replacing parts until there isn’t anything left of the original AR-15.
4) Post endlessly long novels regarding everything you’ve done to it.

Or:

1) Spend $2000 for (place brand here).
2) Bitch or rave endlessly about it.

Various combinations seem to occur.

rob_s
03-17-08, 04:48
You will find many here that will bash Bushmaster also.

Bash, or point out flaws?
Bash, or steer people towards better quality firearms for the same price?
Bash, or steer people towards equal quality firearms for a lesser price?

"Bash" is such a sadly defensive term.

C4IGrant
03-17-08, 08:36
I didn't mean it as an insult. I consider myself a snob of several things...and I don't consider it a bad thing. My point was that some people get caught up on this stuff. Some people take it more serious than others. I think he will enjoy his DPMS and won't have any problems. If he does they'll fix it. I know several people with DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, etc that shoot a lot of 3 gun matches and have no issues.

The OP himself said the information came from another shop that sells Olympic. He isn't interested in paying the cost of a high end AR. It sounds to me like he bought the right tool for the job.

If the definition of "snob" is someone wants the best, most reliable weapon to defend his life with, then yes, this forum is FULL of "snobs."

M4C differs GREATLY than most any other forum on the net because the majority of the members view their AR's as tools to defend themselves with. Second best or "as good as" just won't cut it around here.

Knowing a couple people that shoot 3 gun matches does not prove that any of the brands you listed should be thought of as "quality."

C4

C4IGrant
03-17-08, 08:45
Shoot your rifle and judge for yourself whether it proves reliable or not. You will find many here that will bash Bushmaster also.

Incorrect. BM is not bashed on here. BM does have a negative reputation based on the fact that in the past they use only the cheapest parts and have not assembled their weapons properly.

I do hope that they are about to turn over a new leaf and again put out a quality AR.

Since you like Stereotypes, here are mine.

There are three types of AR owners:

1. Safe queen (Gun never leaves the safe or home).
2. Range queen (Gun is only shot via slow fire and never sees more than 100rds at a sitting).
3. Serious user (Uses or plans to use AR to defend ones life with).

AR owners 1 and 2 can and should buy whatever AR they want as it simply does not matter. AR owner 3 should seek out a high quality AR that (at a minimum) follows the US GOVT TDP.

C4

Jay Cunningham
03-17-08, 08:58

2. Range queen (Gun is only shot via slow fire and never sees more than 100rds at a sitting).

AR owners 1 and 2 can and should buy whatever AR they want as it simply does not matter. AR owner 3 should seak out a high quality AR that (at a minimu) follows the US GOVT TDP.

BAM!!

johnson601
03-17-08, 10:24
Incorrect. BM is not bashed on here. BM does have a negative reputation based on the fact that in the past they use only the cheapest parts and have not assembled their weapons properly.

I do hope that they are about to turn over a new leaf and again put out a quality AR.

Since you like Stereotypes, here are mine.

AR owners 1 and 2 can and should buy whatever AR they want as it simply does not matter. AR owner 3 should seak out a high quality AR that (at a minimu) follows the US GOVT TDP.

C4

+1, well said.