PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD45?

Tspeis
03-15-08, 11:39
What's the general consensus on the Springfield XD? I'm looking real hard at picking one up in .45 ACP, and possibly transitioning to it for work use. I put 200 rounds through one this past Friday and found that it handled and shot quite nicely. I'd like to get some information in regards to long term durability, reliability, etc...

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tspeis

Ray T
03-15-08, 12:03
I got one with the intention of using it on duty. I bought an XD Tactical in .45 ACP. The gun shot really well and felt good in the hand. As soon as I passed the 300 round mark, I started having parts breakages. The loaded chamber indicator pin broke and I lost the LCI. I had the cocked striker indicator rod snap off and hit my glasses causing a mark on the lenses. And finally, my firing pin broke.

Many have had zero issues on their XDs, but for me, I sent back to S.A. and they fixed it. I ended up selling it. Other XD owners have expierienced similar problems as I have.

Palmguy
03-15-08, 12:15
Several thousand rounds total through both of mine; a tactical and a compact service. Zero failures, stoppages, malfunctions of any kind. Accurate, not too heavy, good capacity for the size IMO...all-around great gun.

warpigM-4
03-15-08, 15:11
I love mine but some have had problems but so far mine is better than the Glock 30 i carried it was just like holding a 2x4 .XD is slmmer and fits my hand better I'M not a real big guy so it does feel much better for me,plus if it breaks Springfield will fix it.here is My glock 30 and my XD-45 side by side

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/Picture283.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/Picture282.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/Picture279.jpg

DM-SC
03-15-08, 21:22
I've had mine since December 2006. No issues with it though, I've only run 500 rounds or so through it. Made the mistake of buying a couple of M&P's! ;)

Packman73
03-15-08, 21:53
Mine has been good to me.

Akoni
03-16-08, 11:15
In general, I really like my XD45c. I'm still not sold on overall design/execution reliability but time will tell. It is also a bear to fully disassemble/reassemble compared to other designs and apparently, factory parts are difficult to acquire. However, SA has always had great customer support.

bullitt5172
03-16-08, 14:04
They don't have the best track record. Lots of issues in the field. There was a post about XD's on another board and David Bowie (excellent gunsmith) stated something like "I get requests for custom work all the time, the XD is the only gun I get asked to repair" I don't think they are up to the level of Glock and S&W.

Packman73
03-16-08, 15:37
They don't have the best track record. Lots of issues in the field. There was a post about XD's on another board and David Bowie (excellent gunsmith) stated something like "I get requests for custom work all the time, the XD is the only gun I get asked to repair" I don't think they are up to the level of Glock and S&W.
Me either; I think the XDs surpass they're level.

Shihan
03-16-08, 16:02
Me either; I think the XDs surpass they're level.

Please explain your response.

Shihan
03-16-08, 16:05
I have an XD45 and have put around 2000 rounds through her without any major problems. The only malfs that were caused were by me goofing around by it. If comparing this to a Glock a major downfall is the lack of user replacable parts and that the XD needs to be sent back to Springfield to get said parts installed. The XD45 is much better fiting for me in the hand than the standard G21 and G21SF but I feel more confident carrying the Glock.

300rum
03-16-08, 16:44
I'm coming up on 4000 rounds through mine. No problems what so ever.:D :D

DM-SC
03-16-08, 18:40
If comparing this to a Glock a major downfall is the lack of user replacable parts and that the XD needs to be sent back to Springfield to get said parts installed.

That is, indeed, a problem. There are some aftermarket trigger parts being sold, however.

Other than 1911's, does any gun have the parts availability of the Glock?

Tspeis
03-16-08, 20:29
Thank you for the info gentleman. One of our neighboring departments issues the XD40. I've received mixed feelings from several individuals about the gun. I think for now I'll wait and see how the mid size M&P45's turn out before I make a purchase. Thanks again.

Tspeis

bullitt5172
03-16-08, 21:07
Thank you for the info gentleman. One of our neighboring departments issues the XD40. I've received mixed feelings from several individuals about the gun. I think for now I'll wait and see how the mid size M&P45's turn out before I make a purchase. Thanks again.

Tspeis

Not a bad decision. I'm a Glock guy but I recently bought a M&P and it's a great gun.

IrishDevil
03-16-08, 21:24
I've owned 2 XD45's, a 4" and a 5". I preferred the 4" as the 5" seemed to be nose heavy. After checking my gun book I had 1400 rds thru the 5", and 1800 rds thru the 4". All rounds were fired thru the guns in the course of 7 months. I never had any major problems out of them, there were 3 FTF's in the 4" and 5 in the 5". The majority (7) of them were with the same mag and was rectified by changing the spring. Both were fired with TLR2 lights attached roughly 33% of the time, and performed well. Overall, I liked them, reliable and pretty accurate. I sold the 5" due to the nose heavy feeling and used that money to pick up a Glock 21SF. Decided I like the Glock and something had to go so I could pick up a M&P45, so I sold the 4" to a friend that had to have it. I do plan to pick up another 4" in the future. Though it will be after I secure a 2nd M&P45. My only gripes about the XD were the length of the grip and that it seemed "flimsy", though it never proved to be a problem. I do think the XD45 is the best of the XD line, in other calibers I'd go Glock or Smith M&P, ymmv.

Packman73
03-16-08, 21:45

I'd take an XD over a Glock or S&W. Not that they're bad pistols but I think that the XDs (I've owned 4) are a better pistol.

Shihan
03-17-08, 04:34
I'd take an XD over a Glock or S&W. Not that they're bad pistols but I think that the XDs (I've owned 4) are a better pistol.

Ok for the 2nd time, please explain your response. This is a facts based forum amd a response like

"Not that they're bad pistols but I think that the XDs (I've owned 4) are a better pistol"

is not any type of fact based explanation.

Packman73
03-17-08, 07:30
Ok for the 2nd time, please explain your response. This is a facts based forum amd a response like

"Not that they're bad pistols but I think that the XDs (I've owned 4) are a better pistol"

is not any type of fact based explanation.

Ok. I'll try it again.
I'm not knocking Glocks and S&Ws. I do however, think the XDs are better pistols. They have better features, imo. They are just as durable as Glocks, imo. They have a better grip angle then the Glock, imo. All three are fine pistols but I'd rather have an XD. It's personal choice and opinion.
A better explaination I hope?

Tspeis
04-25-08, 00:24
Quick update. My lack of patience can be a bad thing a times, but I'm glad I acted on an impulse and bought the XD anyway. Got an unfired, fullsize .45 model for $500.00. Came with two 13rd mags and some other odds and ends. I've run a total of about 700 rounds through it with no problems. If it can reach the 1,500 round mark with no issues, I'll throw some night sights on and transition to it for work use. The only downside I can think of is having to go back to the Safariland 6280 holster until the 6360 model is released to accomodate the gun with a Surefire X300 mounted.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions gentlemen. I'll see if I can get some pics posted up sometime this week.

Tspeis

Chessbay
04-25-08, 07:37
Good choice.

I've got an XD .45 and have really enjoyed shooting it. It fits my hand great and I have had zero malfunctions.

Enjoy

ra2bach
04-25-08, 17:38
this is one of those "ya gotta shoot it before you buy it" deals. before I shot one I was head over heels whit the XD45.

then I shot a friend's and I could not get it to shoot well for me. I'd shoot my SIG or 1911, or M&P9, or even my High Satandard .22, and shoot fine, then I'd pick up the XD and my groups would double in size. this wasn't even a matter trying to shoot fast, just plain ol' shooting with two hands off my hind legs. only one other gun has done that to me and that was a S&W Sigma, which I immediately wrote off and never looked back.

I don't know, maybe more time on the gun and I'd figure it out but I figure if I have to adjust to a pistol, I'd rather not take the time. this is my personal experience only so take it for what you will. I have not shot the XD9 or 40.

DogRanger
04-28-08, 02:40
I have XD45c with a few hundred rounds through it. No problems at all and its accurate.Not any better or worse than my others just another good tool in the tool chest.:cool:

Liquid Rhino
04-28-08, 10:01
Several thousand rounds here also.. Great gun, easy to clean & no issues! :D

rubberneck
04-28-08, 10:41

It's not like the M&P haven't had their share of issues. They have already been forced to redesign their strikers because the original design was prone to fail. Don't get me wrong I think they are great guns, but like any new gun or a gun chambered in a caliber it wasn't designed for (Like the XD in 45 ACP), it takes times to find the gremlins hidden in the design.

Ridgerunner665
05-15-09, 18:44
I'm a 1911 guy...but I have two XD 45's.

The Compact has became my wifes CCW pistol...carried in a Galco Summer Comfort.

The other is a Compact Tactical (5 inch barrel, short grip)...and has been converted to 45 Super. If 1,500 rounds of 45 Super don't convince you that the XD is a solid design...nothing will.

Neither pistol has had any problems whatsoever.

kmrtnsn
05-15-09, 19:01
Has Springfield sold the Croatian XD to any department larger than 50 officers? I'd be leary of carrying a duty gun that has not passed the extensive abusive fielding trials of an outfit like LAPD, NYPD, LASD, or a Federal Agency. Your life is going to depend on this gun, this is not a place to try to save a couple of bucks. Buy something proven. BTW, I saw one fail on the range, at the firing point next to mine. Some guy from BIA. The guide rod broke. The gun is locked up solid with a hot one in the chamber. The only way they are getting it apart is with a bandsaw.

Longhorn
05-15-09, 19:48
Has Springfield sold the Croatian XD to any department larger than 50 officers? I'd be leary of carrying a duty gun that has not passed the extensive abusive fielding trials of an outfit like LAPD, NYPD, LASD, or a Federal Agency. Your life is going to depend on this gun, this is not a place to try to save a couple of bucks. Buy something proven. BTW, I saw one fail on the range, at the firing point next to mine. Some guy from BIA. The guide rod broke. The gun is locked up solid with a hot one in the chamber. The only way they are getting it apart is with a bandsaw.

As far as "official duty gun" or as far as "approved for carry"?

I'm not sure if it's still on the list for new Academy grads, but one of the Deputies I saw for Harris County Texas had an XD on his hip. Then again the 6 Deputies I met in testing all had different weapons (Sig 226, fullsize and 1 midsize Glock, XD, wheel gun, 1911).