PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Miad ???

jerhelo
03-03-13, 19:49
Anyone have any issues with the Magpul Miad grip? Specifically at the joints where you slide the inserts in? Personally this is the grip that I like but have heard from a few locals that they had them splinter and break at the joints. I am finishing a build and still deciding on what grip to get.

If you have or are using a Miad, how long have you been using it for, have you had any issues etc etc????

Thanks.

RearwardAssist
03-03-13, 20:32
3-4000 rounds no issues what so ever

Wormydog1724
03-03-13, 20:38
3-4000 rounds no issues what so ever

This.

Acutally probably more like 7-8000 rounds.

mkmckinley
03-03-13, 20:44
I've never had, seen or heard of a problem like you describe but if something like that did happen Magpul would take care of you. Be careful with whatever you hear at the gun shop or range.

tinman44
03-03-13, 21:18
Over 10k rnds through my rifle in the last two years and there are no issues with my miad. I agree it sounds like LGS rhetoric designed to support a different grip perhaps.

Rohardi
03-03-13, 21:20
Mine is GTG

mattg1024
03-03-13, 21:23
Have them on all my rifles and no issues.

wahoo95
03-03-13, 21:29
Not understanding how it would splinter as you describe. I have a couple of them with over 10k on them

"If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

Samson1
03-03-13, 21:31
i have a measly 1k through mine, but the guy who suggested it to me has better than 5k through his. they're gtg

jerhelo
03-03-13, 22:26
I actually went ahead and bought one anyways against what I had been told. A local said that he had one splinter at the joint of the back strap and said to just save my money and go with a MOE instead of the Miad. I like the larger backstrap and front finger groove though... We will see...

Samson1
03-03-13, 22:31
i am confident you will like it. use the bolt that comes with it and the new bold does not need a washer fyi.

thopkins22
03-03-13, 22:32
I actually went ahead and bought one anyways against what I had been told. A local said that he had one splinter at the joint of the back strap and said to just save my money and go with a MOE instead of the Miad. I like the larger backstrap and front finger groove though... We will see...

I'm sure that Magpul has probably sent one out that had issues...every company that's molding polymer has. But it's just that, an issue with getting polymer in all the voids of the mold, not a function of the design. I guarantee you that somebody has had an A2 grip splinter, and an MOE too for that matter.

You didn't make a mistake dude. Your "local" had a sample of one that failed, but there are thousands of people on this board have owned them, and lots of those people have run them hard, and I've never heard of a single issue before yours.

Mine have certainly been fine....

ckimball09
03-03-13, 22:38
I have had multiple MIAD's and no problems here. My favorite grip so far!

jaxman7
03-03-13, 23:02
Using the MIAD to hammer shingles on a roof may do this. But a hammer would do a better job. ;)

For shooting I wouldn't worry about it.

-Jax

Iraqgunz
03-03-13, 23:23
Are you sure this idiot didn't buy some POS Chinese copy? People are doing all kinds of silly right now.

Caeser25
03-04-13, 06:44
About 10k. I'm willing to bet its not real. Fake ones have shown up on amazon.

Samson1
03-04-13, 07:16
The previous couple posts bring great points. Make sure wherever you buy from is selling genuine Magpul products, and make sure the package doesnt say Magpul PTS (pro training and simulation). The pts line is for airsoft weapons only.

royal
03-04-13, 07:22
I had to use a xacto knife to trim away at the plastic to get it to fit on my Noveske Gen II lower. One of the two was waaay off as I sliced off a decent amount to fit it. I was concerned I'd crack it if I forced it any further.

In function, it's been 100%.

MistWolf
03-04-13, 09:06
Been running a MIAD for two years, sometimes with my carbine upper, usually with the precision upper. It's holding up very well.
The only issue is a personal one- While I like how it fits my hand, I got nearly the identical fit with the MOE for less money. Still, I like the MIAD a little better and if I had to do it over, I would still buy it

Storkenheimer
03-04-13, 11:52
I've had the MIAD on my 6720 for about 6 months. I really like the larger size. I don't have large hands at all, but I like how my finger lines up on the trigger. It is very comfortable. The only issue I had was during installation (if this is even an issue). The grip fit very tight on to the reciever. Not sure how normal this is, but I was able to get it in with a few good taps.

Failure2Stop
03-04-13, 12:20
I was skeptical of the MIAD when they first came out, but I have not seen any issues with them over hundreds of examples, several years, and countless rounds.

That said, I think that the MOE and MOE+ are really nice, as they eliminate the A2 finger bump and the medium backstrap size works for most people for most uses, and it saves some cake.

Thump_rrr
03-04-13, 16:37
I have very small hands and need the small backstrap to be able to reach the mag release so the MIAD is all I use.
I have just received a Stag 3G which came with a MOE and it was swapped out with a MIAD on day 1.

I only buy from known Magpul dealers such as Brownells which gives me peace of mind that I'm not getting counterfeit products.
Brownells is one of the only companies which ship to Canada without issue.

Kain
03-04-13, 20:24
I have two, one black and one OD. Had them for a couple years now and really like mine. Not a single issue. Personally bought the "Full" kits with the trigger-guard/ front strap insert and all the other things, got them pretty good priced, wouldn't hesitate to buy them again though on my next build am thinking of picking up an BCM Gunfighter grip to try something new.

uncle money bags
03-04-13, 20:52
Ive had one on every ar i own, or built in the last year. The only issue i have had is some lowers impinged on the mating surfaces of the large back strap. A few minutes adjusting the inner surfaces of the back strap and we were gtg.
The grips feel a lot more solid than the moe, and the floor plate is better designed.
Thousands and thousands of rounds later still going strong.

BountyXP
03-10-13, 21:51
6k+ round count thru several hard carbine courses and no issues with my MIAD...

officerX
03-14-13, 13:22
I haven't had any issues either.