PDA

View Full Version : NRA to sponsor NASCAR Sprint Cup race in Texas *UPDATE*

Smash
03-04-13, 11:44
Just saw this on ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/9014873/report-nra-sponsor-texas-sprint-cup-race

Thoughts on this? Good or bad? There is a car that had a Sandy Hook paint scheme spoken about in the article.

My father works for Dickies Jeans Co and they sponsored races there in the past so I always had free tix. Was always a good time.

brickboy240
03-04-13, 11:58
This is Texas...not NY, CA or MA.

People will not say "boo" about the NRA sponsoring anything here.

People in other states might have a hissy fit...as they do about the NRA or anything gun related but not here.

One of the many good things about living in Texas.

-brickboy240

ryr8828
03-04-13, 12:01
I wonder if it's a good use of funds. I'd think that most nascar fans are also 2A fans, but I have no proof of that and could be wrong.

streck
03-04-13, 12:05
Kind of preaching to the choir. The NRA should sponsor a show on Bravo, Lifetime, or the Hallmark channel to reach people not already onboard.

They can do a show about gay men defending themselves against violent homophobes with a handgun.....

Since Lifetime likes to run a lot of cheating, beating, Burning Bed kind of movies, the NRA can run pieces on rape prevention (This moment of self defense is brought to you the NRA and the Ruger LCP.)....

The NRA advertising on NASCAR is like Bud Light advertising in a frat house....

Palmguy
03-04-13, 12:13
I'm sure the sports media, which is concentrated in NY, Chicago, Washington, and Bristol, CT; will collectively have their heads explode.

Glad I have better things to do than watch the talking head shows on ESPN in the afternoon...

Iraqgunz
03-04-13, 12:18
The problem with your suggestion is that they wouldn't get the airtime because the media will shut them out. This is why you see very little pro gun stuff on TV in general.

Kind of preaching to the choir. The NRA should sponsor a show on Bravo, Lifetime, or the Hallmark channel to reach people not already onboard.

They can do a show about gay men defending themselves against violent homophobes with a handgun.....

Since Lifetime likes to run a lot of cheating, beating, Burning Bed kind of movies, the NRA can run pieces on rape prevention (This moment of self defense is brought to you the NRA and the Ruger LCP.)....

The NRA advertising on NASCAR is like Bud Light advertising in a frat house....

streck
03-04-13, 12:19
The problem with your suggestion is that they wouldn't get the airtime because the media will shut them out. This is why you see very little pro gun stuff on TV in general.

I was being (mostly) facetious....I should have put in a smilie or two....

Smash
03-04-13, 12:46
I am from Texas and understand that this will have no push back there. I understand NASCAR isn't completely main stream but this would be a very nationwide showing of the NRA brand. I would also assume that most NASCAR fans are pro 2A. Maybe this type of event in this state will be the first push to get out in the main stream more. I think it's probably a safe venue to begin with based on the fan base and the location.

Smash
03-04-13, 12:48
I'm sure the sports media, which is concentrated in NY, Chicago, Washington, and Bristol, CT; will collectively have their heads explode.

Glad I have better things to do than watch the talking head shows on ESPN in the afternoon...

Colin Cowherd has a radio show on ESPN U and ESPN radio from 10am-1pm everyday and has been very open about being pro gun ownership even though he stated he did not own a gun himself.

montrala
03-04-13, 16:04
Thoughts on this? Good or bad?

Not my cup of tea, but wondering if NRA really got right partner to work with:

Bruton Smith, the chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc. that owns TMS, has no concerns about partnering with the NRA.
[...] Smith added that he personally is opposed to automatic rifles, such as the one used in the Newtown shooting, being sold to the public.

"No one individual needs one of those guns,'' he said. "I wish we could get them all and melt them down.''

ryr8828
03-04-13, 16:33
Colin Cowherd has a radio show on ESPN U and ESPN radio from 10am-1pm everyday and has been very open about being pro gun ownership even though he stated he did not own a gun himself.

I quit listening to him on espn radio because he said the opposite and pissed me off. Turn the channel now right after mike and mike ends.

Smash
03-04-13, 16:35
I quit listening to him on espn radio because he said the opposite and pissed me off. Turn the channel now right after mike and mike ends.

I'm curious when that happened. Was it in regards to bob costas?

Smash
03-04-13, 16:48
Logo and naming up on NASCAR's site

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/schedule.html

DreadPirateMoyer
03-04-13, 17:58
Weird. Logo says "NRA 500," while the title of the race is "Texas 500."

Renegade
03-04-13, 18:26
Remington, Glock and I am sure others have sponsored cars before, so this is no surprise.

Renegade
03-04-13, 18:27
Weird. Logo says "NRA 500," while the title of the race is "Texas 500."

Texas 500 when they had no sponsor. Now that they have a sponsor, branding will change.

Artos
03-04-13, 18:45
How many bones will this cost the NRA??

ryr8828
03-04-13, 18:54
I'm curious when that happened. Was it in regards to bob costas?

Very possible.

obucina
03-04-13, 19:41

i get him on xm radio, he is a big reagan guy, too!

SOWT
03-04-13, 20:11
I think this is a good idea; while many (most) NASCAR fans may be pro2A? How many are NRA members?

Smash
03-04-13, 20:50
How many bones will this cost the NRA??

I believe my dad stated it cost Dickies around 2 Million for the Fall race so I would assume around that amount adding some percentage for inflation.

Artos
03-04-13, 21:15
I believe my dad stated it cost Dickies around 2 Million for the Fall race so I would assume around that amount adding some percentage for inflation.

We shall see if it's money well spent...I'm diggin it & hope they get a good return.

I would imagine they are going to spend another chunk into commercials on top of being the main sponsor.

3 AE
03-04-13, 21:40
I think this is a good idea; while many (most) NASCAR fans may be pro2A? How many are NRA members?

Exactly! Yes, it's preaching to the choir, but it's the choir that needs to sign up. When dealing with the anti-gun faction, providing facts and common sense, I get the same fanatical rhetoric one would expect from al-Qaeda or the Taliban. They aren't about to listen. I've had good success convincing gun owners to join. Half of them didn't even know about the NRA, or the GOA, let alone a state organization. I can't waste any more time trying to convince a fanatic. I'll spend a lot more time and effort with a gun owner for the simple reason they're open to suggestions, reason, and common sense.

Biggy
03-05-13, 01:12
I don't watch NASCAR much anymore, but lets face it; guns and rednecks go hand in hand. But I doubt you'll ever see a redneck shooting up a school. And if any of the gun hating libs whine that they want want equal air time, I am sure Bloomberg would sponsor the one in Dover Delaware for them....it will now be called "The Ben Dover 500"

AKDoug
03-05-13, 01:27
The NRA advertising on NASCAR is like Bud Light advertising in a frat house.... Uhhh...it's like Bud Light advertising at Nascar..just sayin'

FlyingHunter
03-05-13, 11:01
I was pleased and surprised to see CNN and HLN cover the NRA race sponsorship in the first 10 min of the news this morning.

brickboy240
03-05-13, 11:21
Maybe the NRA SHOULD spend their money in places like Texas.

Money is wasted in some of these other states when leftism has crept in and it is a lost cause.

Pick a few target places and dig in for the fight and write off the purple states.

-brickboy240

Moose-Knuckle
03-05-13, 18:59
Well one thing is for sure, the anti's "redneck cartoons" of gun owners/NRA will have a lot more material. :p

Smash
04-12-13, 18:52
Update-

FORT WORTH, Texas -- NASCAR plans to become more involved in race-sponsorship decisions by speedways in light of the continuing controversy surrounding the National Rifle Association's sponsorship of the Sprint Cup race Saturday at Texas Motor Speedway.

"The NRA's sponsorship of the event at Texas Motor Speedway fit within existing parameters that NASCAR affords tracks in securing partnerships," said NASCAR spokesman David Higdon. "However, this situation has made it clear that we need to take a closer look at our approval process moving forward, as current circumstances need to be factored in when making decisions."

Let's try to keep all this in perspective, NASCAR Nation. Saturday's NRA 500 at Texas Motor Speedway is just another Sprint Cup race -- one that you likely won't want to miss, writes David Newton. Story

In some respects, this weekend at TMS has become more about politics than racing for the NRA 500, as the sponsorship coincides with the current national gun control debate to become the prevailing storyline.

Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut wrote to News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch asking the Fox network not broadcast Saturday night's race because of the NRA sponsorship.

TMS president Eddie Gossage and Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith answered questions regarding Murphy's request and the NRA sponsorship Friday. Gossage said it would be the only time they would address the topic.

He said only a few people had contacted the speedway to criticize the sponsorship decision.

"We've had fewer than a dozen responses," Gossage said. "Of those, only two had purchased tickets [to other TMS events]. There is no controversy or big uproar or even a tiny uproar. As for this senator, I appreciate a good publicity effort as much as anyone."

Sources confirmed Friday that two drivers were advised by their public relations directors not to do interviews in the TMS media center so they could avoid having the NRA logo behind them.

Brad Keselowski and Dale Earnhardt Jr. were asked about it on Thursday.

"I think it's a good fit for Texas," Earnhardt Jr. said. "If we win the race, we're going to treat Victory Lane just like any other race, and we'll be happy to celebrate just like everybody else has celebrated here in the past."

That celebration involves cowboy hats and pistols that shoot blanks.

"I own guns," Earnhardt said. "I like to hunt. When I'm not hunting, I keep my guns in a safe place, out of reach from my younger family members and my nieces and nephews. I like to hunt and I believe in ownership, but I also believe in responsibility. You can't ever be safe enough in regards to that, especially with gun ownership."

Keselowski said he would rather stay out of politics, but that's becoming difficult when questions about the subject continue.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy in December in Newtown, Conn., where 20 children and six adults were killed, is fresh on the minds of many Americans and has been central to the gun control debate.

Gossage has said all along that the NRA sponsorship was a business decision, not a political statement. Negotiations for the NRA contract took place long before the Newtown incident, but the announcement of the sponsorship agreement came after the tragedy.

jpmuscle
04-12-13, 23:28
I hope they told him to go pound salt with his forehead.

woodandsteel
04-13-13, 14:39
Update-

FORT WORTH, Texas -- NASCAR plans to become more involved in race-sponsorship decisions by speedways in light of the continuing controversy surrounding the National Rifle Association's sponsorship of the Sprint Cup race Saturday at Texas Motor Speedway.

"The NRA's sponsorship of the event at Texas Motor Speedway fit within existing parameters that NASCAR affords tracks in securing partnerships," said NASCAR spokesman David Higdon. "However, this situation has made it clear that we need to take a closer look at our approval process moving forward, as current circumstances need to be factored in when making decisions."

Let's try to keep all this in perspective, NASCAR Nation. Saturday's NRA 500 at Texas Motor Speedway is just another Sprint Cup race -- one that you likely won't want to miss, writes David Newton. Story

In some respects, this weekend at TMS has become more about politics than racing for the NRA 500, as the sponsorship coincides with the current national gun control debate to become the prevailing storyline.

Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut wrote to News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch asking the Fox network not broadcast Saturday night's race because of the NRA sponsorship.

TMS president Eddie Gossage and Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith answered questions regarding Murphy's request and the NRA sponsorship Friday. Gossage said it would be the only time they would address the topic.

He said only a few people had contacted the speedway to criticize the sponsorship decision.

"We've had fewer than a dozen responses," Gossage said. "Of those, only two had purchased tickets [to other TMS events]. There is no controversy or big uproar or even a tiny uproar. As for this senator, I appreciate a good publicity effort as much as anyone."

Sources confirmed Friday that two drivers were advised by their public relations directors not to do interviews in the TMS media center so they could avoid having the NRA logo behind them.

Brad Keselowski and Dale Earnhardt Jr. were asked about it on Thursday.

"I think it's a good fit for Texas," Earnhardt Jr. said. "If we win the race, we're going to treat Victory Lane just like any other race, and we'll be happy to celebrate just like everybody else has celebrated here in the past."

That celebration involves cowboy hats and pistols that shoot blanks.

"I own guns," Earnhardt said. "I like to hunt. When I'm not hunting, I keep my guns in a safe place, out of reach from my younger family members and my nieces and nephews. I like to hunt and I believe in ownership, but I also believe in responsibility. You can't ever be safe enough in regards to that, especially with gun ownership."

Keselowski said he would rather stay out of politics, but that's becoming difficult when questions about the subject continue.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy in December in Newtown, Conn., where 20 children and six adults were killed, is fresh on the minds of many Americans and has been central to the gun control debate.

Gossage has said all along that the NRA sponsorship was a business decision, not a political statement. Negotiations for the NRA contract took place long before the Newtown incident, but the announcement of the sponsorship agreement came after the tragedy.

I love Keselowski's response. A lot better than what Jr. had to say.

There should be a video in this link; http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9163799/nra-flap-nascar-scrutinizing-sponsors