PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote on a barrel

Koshinn
03-04-13, 23:58
Does Cerakote on a barrel noticeably reduce heat dissipation, as Cerakote is ceramic based? If it does, does that mean it increases barrel wear and reduces barrel life?

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 13:02
I thought Next Generation Arms praised their ceramic coating for it's heat dissipation? Their barrels had the coating too, IIRC.

MistWolf
03-05-13, 14:51
Reducing heat dissipation is bad for barrels. Some ceramic coatings improve heat dissipation, some act as insulation

Moltke
03-05-13, 14:53
Reducing heat dissipation is bad for barrels. Some ceramic coatings improve heat dissipation, some act as insulation

Yikes! What? Why?

ar15556
03-05-13, 17:40
Yikes! What? Why?

Then, don't coat the inside of the barrel.:lol:

Koshinn
03-06-13, 01:31
Then, don't coat the inside of the barrel.:lol:

Cerakoting the inside of the barrel is something no one does. Not intentionally at least.

MistWolf
03-06-13, 07:52
Yikes! What? Why?

I had a set of Borla headers for my Cherokee coated with an insulating ceramic finish to reduce underhood temperatures and to improve exhaust flow. It did not insulate enough to trap all heat inside the headers, but there was a reduction in underhood temperatures. I don't know if the coating helped exhaust flow, but I can tell you, that coating withstood the heat very well! It didn't burn off and didn't discolor from the heat, except maybe a little right at the flange.

If the insulation type ceramic coating were used inside the bore, it would help as it would keep the barrel from absorbing as much heat. It would be even more efficient combined with a heat dissipation coating to the exterior of the barrel. I don't know that applying a ceramic coating to the bore would be practical

ar15556
03-06-13, 16:02
It would also reduce the size of the bore, somewhat.

I originally mentioned it in jest but some might do it anyway.:(