PDA

View Full Version : TSA To Allow Knives On Planes Again

thopkins22
03-05-13, 10:44
A little common sense invading the ranks? :confused:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-05/tsa-will-permit-knives-golf-clubs-on-u-s-planes.html

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration will let people carry small pocketknives onto passenger planes for the first time since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, along with golf clubs, hockey sticks and plastic Wiffle Ball-style bats.

The agency will permit knives with retractable blades shorter than 6 centimeters (2.4 inches) and narrower than 1/2 inch at the widest point, TSA Administrator John Pistole said today at an aviation security conference in Brooklyn. The change, to conform with international rules, will take effect April 25.

Granted, 2.4 inches and no lock excludes tons of regular pocket knives, but at least little keychain knives and some Swiss Army knives will no longer find the trash can.

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 10:45
A step in the right direction.

J-Dub
03-05-13, 10:50
Now if we can end the molestation and radiation we'll be getting somewhere....

Armati
03-05-13, 10:53
So to recap, box cutters are now ok again?

thopkins22
03-05-13, 10:58
So to recap, box cutters are now ok again?

Nope.

Cameron
03-05-13, 11:26
Hhhhhmm got to find a really nice knife with a short blade that doesn't lock.... I might just start carrying my "junior slugger" with me.

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 11:34
At least it's a step in the right direction. Why not box cutters?

fixit69
03-05-13, 11:38
Bringing a box cutter on a plane soul be about like taking an ar-15 to a school. Shades of horrors past.

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 11:42
Bringing a box cutter on a plane soul be about like taking an ar-15 to a school. Shades of horrors past.

But I support having people armed with AR-15s on school campus. How do we even know that's what the 9/11 hijackers used?

RIDE
03-05-13, 11:45

Give yourself an extra 10 minutes and "opt-out" every single time through the airport.

I do it.

If we all did it, they'd ditch the current system in a hurry.

fixit69
03-05-13, 11:45
I know. I do also. But it was a comment on public perception, not what I think.

Hell if I could afford a GAU 8, and the ammo I'd strap it on.

Dammit, magicsalad! Now I'm trying to figure out how to lug it around

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 11:53
Dammit, magicsalad! Now I'm trying to figure out how to lug it around

I've always wondered if AR pistols are covered under a concealed carry permit.

MountainRaven
03-05-13, 12:45
I've always wondered if AR pistols are covered under a concealed carry permit.

In Montana, at least, it is a concealed weapons permit. So it can be a sword, a handgun, a shotgun, a cannon, whatever.

:p

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 12:50
In Montana, at least, it is a concealed weapons permit. So it can be a sword, a handgun, a shotgun, a cannon, whatever.

:p

Are there any states that specify pistols?

LHS
03-05-13, 13:12

West Virginia specifies 'pistol or revolver'. I had a friend who built an AK pistol specifically as a WV truck gun, mainly just to demonstrate the absurdity.

Most of WV's laws regarding long guns in vehicles stem from hunting regulations, and they do take those rather seriously there.

nimdabew
03-05-13, 13:24

Washington has a concealed pistol permit. Can't carry a fixed 1" blade in Seattle, but you can carry and sized "pistol" (yes, AR pistols count) in a trench coat and aviators all day long legally :rolleyes:

Blowby
03-05-13, 13:49
A blade for a standard box cutter is just under 3/4" wide so that will not be permitted. This opens a market for a new series of knife designs. Can't wait to see the innovations and folding designs from the leaders in blade technology.

Trajan
03-05-13, 15:05

In Ohio it's a "License to carry a concealed handgun".

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-13, 16:40
Where does it say not locking? So no BEnchmade Axis knives?

I tip for the 'felony' level frisking. I've actually had the same TSA guy more than one time give me the fondle&fly. He starts into his speech and I told him that this was not our first date....

CO is a handgun only. No reason an AR pistol wouldn't meet muster.

thopkins22
03-05-13, 16:47
Where does it say not locking? So no BEnchmade Axis knives?

I don't think anyone has seen the written policy yet, but here you go.
The agency will still prohibit some knives, including those with locking blades or molded handles, like those used by hunters for skinning, Pistole said. There’s still concern about knives clearly intended for use as weapons, he said.

Mauser KAR98K
03-05-13, 16:48
Well, guess they have to cut something...

NWPilgrim
03-05-13, 16:52

Oregon issues a CHL, Concealed Handgun License. We do allow automatic knives but not concealed fixed lade, but open carry is fine.

So you can can carry your AR15 open, conceal your G17 and 4" benchmade auto, but only carry your 4" hunting knife in the open, not concealed!

I hope someone brings out a "TSA Auto" knife with a very thick (1/4") by 1/2" wide, by 2.5" long lade. It would have to be a wedge shape blade but strong enough not to break easily like a thin Swiss Army pen knife. ANd add a smaller blade like this to existing medium size multitools like a "TSA Wave".

Magic_Salad0892
03-05-13, 16:54
Oregon issues a CHL, Concealed Handgun License.

I somehow never noticed that.

nobody knows
03-05-13, 17:18
Oklahoma is handgun only state to. Nothing over sixteen" long and nothing above 50 cal. But you can legally carry a loaded AR in your vehicle as long as the chamber is empty.

Bulletdog
03-05-13, 17:29
Give yourself an extra 10 minutes and "opt-out" every single time through the airport.

I do it.

Please explain the "opt out" option. I always go for the free massage/ball rub. Love it. I just wish they'd let a chick do it. Is this "opting out" or is there another option that I don't know about yet?

On a side note, don't wear your range shoes through the airport. After my free rub down, which in cludes my feet, they run a patch over their rubber gloves and run the patch through the little detection machine. If I'm wearing my shoes that I wear to the range, the GSR makes their little scanner go off with a flashing red "EXPLOSIVES" indicator. This gets you a free SECOND massage in the back room where you can shut your eyes a little and relax even more.

ForTehNguyen
03-05-13, 18:15
can take a 2.4" knife onboard but not a bottle of water

makes sense

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-05-13, 18:38
Spyderco UK Pen Knife...

Palmguy
03-05-13, 18:47
Please explain the "opt out" option. I always go for the free massage/ball rub. Love it. I just wish they'd let a chick do it. Is this "opting out" or is there another option that I don't know about yet?

On a side note, don't wear your range shoes through the airport. After my free rub down, which in cludes my feet, they run a patch over their rubber gloves and run the patch through the little detection machine. If I'm wearing my shoes that I wear to the range, the GSR makes their little scanner go off with a flashing red "EXPLOSIVES" indicator. This gets you a free SECOND massage in the back room where you can shut your eyes a little and relax even more.

No kidding. I made the mistake of wearing my steel toe boots through the checkpoint in Moline, Illinois coming home from a trip for work. The same boots I had been wearing in an explosive manufacturing line. They swabbed them after detecting metal in the x-ray scanner, and of course they popped positive for residue.....next they did the glove pat down and scan like you mentioned on my bag and my person and both popped positive.

Never again. Police magically started showing up, got the full behind closed doors TSA experience (even with my Army-issued "this guy has been working with HE" letter)....was a swell time. Almost missed my flight. Now I have a completely sterile set of clothes and shoes that I don't touch until it's time to fly, everything from work goes in the checked bag.

Clint
03-05-13, 19:23

I do it.

Before they motion for you to step through the "personal nudity irradiation" machine, use the magic phrase "I'm opting out".

Half the time, they will try to scare you into reconsidering by saying "you know, you'll get a full body pat down..."

I just tell them that "I do this every time".

I also encourage the people in the group I'm travelling with to opt out too.

As RIDE said, If everybody opted out, they would get rid of the scanners altogether.

The only reason this is permitted is because people allow it.

domestique
03-05-13, 19:38
Before they motion for you to step through the "personal nudity irradiation" machine, use the magic phrase "I'm opting out".

Half the time, they will try to scare you into reconsidering by saying "you know, you'll get a full body pat down..."

I just tell them that "I do this every time".

I also encourage the people in the group I'm travelling with to opt out too.

As RIDE said, If everybody opted out, they would get rid of the scanners altogether.

The only reason this is permitted is because people allow it.

Do you give the guy a wink and blow a kiss as well? ;)

SeriousStudent
03-05-13, 22:33
Spyderco UK Pen Knife...

Exactly what I was thinking! No lock, no finger grooves, essentially a very stiff slipjoint folder.

But I checked, and they list the blade as 2.9 inches long. :(

I'll keep looking. Maybe a Swiss Army knife of some sort?

thopkins22
03-05-13, 22:41
Exactly what I was thinking! No lock, no finger grooves, essentially a very stiff slipjoint folder.

But I checked, and they list the blade as 2.9 inches long. :(

I'll keep looking. Maybe a Swiss Army knife of some sort?

An SAK is probably the best bet as of now...1/2" thick(edge to spine) is going to make things tight too.

I guarantee that it doesn't take long for companies to make a legal option that suits lots of us. Like Spyderco did for the UK.

feedramp
03-05-13, 22:56
A little common sense invading the ranks? :confused:

No, just another example of inconsistency and how stupid their policies are. Also, propaganda.
It only covers pen knives w/ non-locking blades smaller than 2.4 inches.

thopkins22
03-05-13, 23:02
No, just another example of inconsistency and how stupid their policies are. Also, propaganda.
It only covers pen knives w/ non-locking blades smaller than 2.4 inches.

Well, considering that they were making people toss out toenail clippers not that long ago....

Jer
03-05-13, 23:45
"The agency will permit knives with retractable blades shorter than 6 centimeters (2.4 inches) and narrower than 1/2 inch at the widest point"

When reading this, how many of you were thinking of the first half of the line of Paul Hogan from Crocodile Dundee: That ain't no knife!

Seriously... that's not a knife. Sure it's a step in the right direction but that's about it. Hell, last time we left the country my wife forgot to take her tiny fingernail clippers out of her purse and we got pulled aside, questioned and fondled. I'm sure my wife's attractive appearance had nothing to do with that decision. :rolleyes:

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-06-13, 01:02

No kidding. I made the mistake of wearing my steel toe boots through the checkpoint in Moline, Illinois coming home from a trip for work. The same boots I had been wearing in an explosive manufacturing line. They swabbed them after detecting metal in the x-ray scanner, and of course they popped positive for residue.....next they did the glove pat down and scan like you mentioned on my bag and my person and both popped positive.

Never again. Police magically started showing up, got the full behind closed doors TSA experience (even with my Army-issued "this guy has been working with HE" letter)....was a swell time. Almost missed my flight. Now I have a completely sterile set of clothes and shoes that I don't touch until it's time to fly, everything from work goes in the checked bag.

TSA guys say the scanners detect gun powder, but after getting tripping the machine about three times they finally had EOD show up and they said that it does not detect gunpowder- they even laughed because too many people have CCWs, it would go off all the time. TSA was shitting a brick that something in my bag was detecting, they wanted to cuff and stuff me. EOD guys looked in my bag and said my Bose headphone case has a plasticizer in it that causes false positives and let me go. I swear the TSA guys were going to cry.

I knew I didn't have explosives on me, so I was mildly amused during the whole thing till a farmer the next week at another CO airport got cuffed and stuffed based on just detecting for explosives, that uncool with out 'finding' anything. Eventually it ended up it was fertilizer on his shoes or something.

Palmguy
03-06-13, 07:36
TSA guys say the scanners detect gun powder, but after getting tripping the machine about three times they finally had EOD show up and they said that it does not detect gunpowder- they even laughed because too many people have CCWs, it would go off all the time. TSA was shitting a brick that something in my bag was detecting, they wanted to cuff and stuff me. EOD guys looked in my bag and said my Bose headphone case has a plasticizer in it that causes false positives and let me go. I swear the TSA guys were going to cry.

I knew I didn't have explosives on me, so I was mildly amused during the whole thing till a farmer the next week at another CO airport got cuffed and stuffed based on just detecting for explosives, that uncool with out 'finding' anything. Eventually it ended up it was fertilizer on his shoes or something.

Yeah, I didn't think that they gave positives for GSR or it'd be lighting up all the time. I certainly had HMX and RDX trace residue though, I'm just careful now to make sure anything from work is checked and I've been fine ever since.

People shouldn't be arrested for setting off the machine, especially given the possibilities for setting it off without being engaged in terrorist activities.