PDA

View Full Version : bullet shortage

airman
03-05-13, 13:20
Maybe I am just paranoid, but I am wondering if there is really a shortage of ammo and reloading components or what is the possibility of our government using our tax dollars to purchase all to keep out of the publics hands as the next step too completely disarming us as a nation. Can not find any .22 cal. or .30 cal. bullets for reloading except the most expensive hunting bullets at almost $1.00 per round. As I said, maybe I am just paranoid, but things are sure looking worse in the usa than I have seen in my 54 years. OK guess I am done bitching for the day.

S. Galbraith
03-05-13, 13:29
As a govt LEO, we are not using or buying any more ammo that we have in the past. In fact, we are using less since the supply nationwide is very tight. So, don't be fooled by the internet sites like Infowars that state we are buying millions of rounds of ammo, when the actual contracts state that we are purchasing by boxes of ammo at 1000rd case prices. If you read the actual DHS contracts documents, it specifies that our pricing shall be by the 1000 round cases, regardless if we order less than 1000rds or more than 1000rds. Each quantity amount is reflective of box amounts such as 20rd for rifle, and 50rds for handgun. So, instead of 521,000 rounds such as the news reports, we actually ordered 521 units of 20rd boxes at 1000rd case pricing. So, only a total of 10,420 rounds. We will go through that in training in 6 months. By the laws of supply and demand, the only force that is using up the supply is the demand from the commercial market. It's all the hording that's using up the supply. Also, you will be hard pressed to find an agency now days that reloads since most of our policies prohibit it for safety and liability reasons.

All that being said, I just watch my usual reloading component sites such as Midway USA, and buy what I need as soon as it is available. They usually sell out of new stock in a matter of hours, so you buy it as soon as it is available.

oldtexan
03-05-13, 14:24
Maybe I am just paranoid, but I am wondering if there is really a shortage of ammo and reloading components or what is the possibility of our government using our tax dollars to purchase all to keep out of the publics hands as the next step too completely disarming us as a nation. Can not find any .22 cal. or .30 cal. bullets for reloading except the most expensive hunting bullets at almost $1.00 per round. As I said, maybe I am just paranoid, but things are sure looking worse in the usa than I have seen in my 54 years. OK guess I am done bitching for the day.

The way to kill the buying panic and to see normal levels of stock on the shelves again is for we consumers to buy less. It's as simple as that. Oh, and prices will come down as well, if we just buy less.

Moltke
03-05-13, 14:29
What? There's an ammo shortage going on?

Check back in 2014.

jstone
03-05-13, 19:23
Threads like this are funny. When you hear homeland security bought 2 million rounds. They are not receiving 2 million rounds. Those are the maximum number of rounds for the contract. The contract may only end up being for 500,000. If you take the size of homeland security and the number of agencies that fall under the umbrella of homeland security. How many agents is that? How many rounds per year are needed for qualifying? How many rounds per year for training?

Do people really think that these agencies are going to start trying to kill American citizens knowing another agency is doing the same to there family. People like this are the reason our community is looked down upon by the other side. I know people who have been thinking this was going to happen since the sixties. Every couple years we are closer than we have ever been.

Edit: old texan is exactly right. The longer people allow themselves to be taken advantage of the longer it lasts. If after everything happened everyone just did not buy, and left the people who bought everything holding the bag. They would have been forced to sell at or just slightly above what they paid.

GunnutAF
03-06-13, 20:49
jstone
yep we'll remind you of this post when Komifornia completes there complete ban of AR's! :rolleyes: But your probably part of the protected class right- LE?:rolleyes:

S. Galbraith
03-06-13, 21:59
jstone
yep we'll remind you of this post when Komifornia completes there complete ban of AR's! :rolleyes: But your probably part of the protected class right- LE?:rolleyes:

Thank God I don't live in Cali. I have worked details out there though, and I was not allowed to bring my personally owned AR out there for duty use. I had to pull a govt M4 from the armory in order to have one on CA soil.

Ammo-wise, we are cutting back. Very few trainings, and minimal qualifications per year due to lack of ammo availability. Definately no stock piling on our end.

jstone
03-07-13, 02:07
jstone

I believe they are trying to ban guns. I live where it happens constantly, but the rest is ridiculous. Im not LE, but these contract fall in line with past contracts. When you have to train, and qualify thousands of agents the numbers of rounds per year are staggering.

I know that they are going after guns it happens a few times a year. In the next month my last 2 ar's will be gone, but i still do not want it to happen

The bullet shortage is from reloaders trying to avoid running out in time like this. How many departments reload ammunition? I never heard of any. I think this post is a little paranoid, but just because your paranoid does not mean nobody is after you.

Our state government is similar to new yorks so have no doubt they will get what they want. Calguns does a pretty good job of slowing or stopping legislation so its never over until the legislation does not pass or calguns files successful lawsuits.

So i have no delusions that they are going to leave the guns alone, but buying all the ammo available is ludicrous. There is ammo available it is expensive.

I also despise people who carry guns or employ armed guards, that want to disarm everyone else.

Airmans post is far from the worst i have seen his actually what i consider one of the more reasonable posts. When people in the gun community make crazy accusations it makes us all look bad. Airman i do not think your post is nearly to the level of what i have seen i just lumped you in with them and after re reading your post you do not belong there. So i apologize.

There has been some posts and articles that have come out recently that make our community look like complete fools or completely nuts. I will give an example, but i can not give the full details. I wanted to post the articles to show that this conspiracy stuff has got out of hand and is making us look bad, but it was shot down by IG. I completely understand.

This article stated that obhama had hit squads running around and killing 2A advocates, and that all the 2A advocates should be worried about attempts on their life. If anyone would like a link pm me. I will get you the link as long as you promise you will not start a thread with the article. Once again i apologize for grouping you with the nuts and crazies Airman