PDA

View Full Version : Shipping warning

constructor
03-06-13, 10:09
If you ship something or someone/company ships something to you make sure they insure the package for you. A company shipped over $7000 worth of product to me not insured and someone at UPS stole the package. Somewhere between Kansas City and Memphis all of the product disappeared but the empty box was scanned in Memphis. It seems this is happening quite a bit especially now with the way things are.
If you see anyone selling silver 6.8 bolts with a thickened area around the cam pin hole do not buy them they have not been heat treated so they will break. They just cam out of bead blast so they will be a dull silver and will begin to rust pretty quick.

Thieves Find Guns Easy to Get at UPS By Craig Whitlock
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 24, 1999; Page A01
Even the men convicted of stealing guns from the United Parcel Service distribution center in Landover were surprised by how easy it was to pick them off the conveyor belt and get them out of the building.
They started cautiously, slicing open cardboard boxes addressed to a Prince George's County gun shop, removing one or two handguns and taking them out by hiding them under their clothes.
When nothing happened, the three UPS cargo handlers--one of them a convicted crack dealer--grew bolder, according to affidavits filed in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt. They grabbed entire packages filled with revolvers and semiautomatic pistols, slapped on new address labels and had their employer deliver them home for free.
Before they were arrested by federal agents in March and April, the three UPS workers stole 29 handguns and sold them on the streets for $250 to $350. One of the firearms was used in an armed carjacking less than 36 hours after it was stolen from a UPS shipment. Only eight have been recovered.
Authorities say the UPS case illustrates how--despite increasingly strict controls on gun sales to individuals--package delivery firms, where security is often la

jlg
January 19, 2011, 11:47 AM

I recently made a trade with someone out of state. I shipped him a NIB Bushmaster 97S Carbon-15 Pistol. It's a 7.5" AR15 without a buttstock. They are very hard to get a hold of and not cheap at all.

When the box arrived at the other FFL the gun was missing and a box of fireworks had been put into the box.

Local Police and ATF basically told me that because it is just one gun they probably won't do anything about it.

After just a couple of days UPS called me and said, "We have been unable to find your lost package and since you didn't pay for extra insurance we will be sending you a check for $100." Apparently UPS can steal from you and call it a lost package...even if the package was delivered with the wrong contents.

What angers me more than the loss of $900 is the fact that no one seems to care that a firearm was stolen.:fire: UPS barely put any effort into tracking it down and figured it would just be easier to pay $100 and move on.

Stealing a firearm is a felony. So basically we now have a felon walking around with a firearm that meets almost every "evil" criteria that the government wants to ban (short barrel, flash suppressor, 30-round magazine, pistol grip, detachable magazine)...and nobody cares.

An M92 Krink SBR and Redjacket M92 Suppressor were stolen between 03/06/09 and 03/11-09 in transit with UPS from Redjacket in Baton Rouge to me in Tucson. ATF, Baton Rouge PD and Pima County Sheriff have been all notified.

That all said, I hope they catch the thief and charge the piss out of him, 2 NFA items should be worth 10 years

#4Two United Parcel Service employees were charged with selling stolen firearms from the parking lot of the customer service facility in Landover.

Prosecutors said Jason T. Scott, 26, and Marcus D. Hunter, 23, sold duffel bags full of handguns and semiautomatic rifles, including at least five of nearly two dozen weapons that had been stolen from a gun store in Woodbine, Md., in May, according to court documents filed in federal court in Greenbelt.
Special agents with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives began investigating after they received a tip that Scott was showing off assault-style weapons from the trunk of his blue Toyota Camry at the UPS facility.
"ATF is looking for these firearms," and the serial numbers needed to be removed, Scott told potential buyers, the charging documents said.
#5 More info.

A UPS delivery man charged with stealing a semi-automatic pistol from a local outdoors store while picking up packages admitted to stealing other guns from the business and selling the weapons, police reported.

Glenroy Ford, 33, of Danbury, was charged Tuesday and charged with theft of a firearm and fourth-degree larceny. State and local police are still investigating Ford's other alleged firearms thefts and more charges may be pending.

Ford pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Norwalk Superior Court to the charges. His bond was lowered from $100,000 to $50,000 by Judge Burton Kaplan.

The suspect was arrested in a joint effort by state and local police after allegedly taking a Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistol from Forest and Field, an outdoor specialty store that sells guns.

In a statement to police, Ford admitted to stealing at least two more guns from Forest and Field and selling one of the weapons to a family member and another to a friend, according to the affidavit.

Police said management at Forest and Field noticed a pistol was missing after going into a storage room to retrieve the gun for the customer who had ordered it. The theft was reported to police and the serial numbers on the gun were recorded in the National Crime Information System.

Managers and staff reviewed surveillance tapes of the storage room and determined no one had been into the room where the gun was stored from Nov. 29 –– when the gun was placed in storage –– to Dec. 2 –– when Ford came to pick up packages for UPS.

Ford allegedly appears on the video walking to the back of the storage room –– away from where the UPS packages were stacked in the area where the Glock was placed, according to court documents.

The rack where the gun was placed is out of the view of the surveillance camera, according to the affidavit.

Management at Forest and Field turned the video over to police, police said.

Members of the Statewide Narcotics Task Force met with Norwalk police, as they were conducting a simultaneous investigation of Ford concerning a similar incident.

State police applied for a search and seizure warrant for Ford's Danbury home, where they allegedly found the case to a Glock with serial numbers on it that matched those of the stolen gun, according to the affidavit.

At the same time as state police searched Ford's house, Norwalk police and state police executed a search and seizure warrant on the suspect while he was walking to his vehicle outside of the UPS facility on 190 Martin Luther King Drive.

Police searched Ford's 1993 Honda Accord but nothing was recovered from the vehicle, according to the affidavit.

Employees at Forest and Field could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Warp
03-06-13, 11:14
I dropped a package of ammo/mags off at a UPS store a couple weeks ago. The package was never even scanned at the store and never showed up in the system beyond "shipping label has been created", or whatever, as I had printed the label off at home.

Don't put too much trust in the shipping companies.'

This may be considered off topic, I'm not sure.

NWPilgrim
03-06-13, 11:16
Thanks for the heads up/reminder. That is amazing they can be so brazen and there is not much interest to track it down. Everything I ship gets insured whether to family members or others. Easy to assume other people would do this when sending to me, but good idea to get confirmation about insurance.

chadbag
03-06-13, 23:08
I think it was in 2008. I had a guy order a completed upper and aimpoint. He wanted to pay for it COD and wanted to ship it by UPS, even though I normally use Fedex.

I sent it (and insured it for full value). It got to the final distribution point and disappeared. I tried to contact the customer and he disappeared too. It seems that it was an inside job -- somebody who works at UPS or a friend of someone who does as they knew right what to look for.

I got my money back as it was insured. No questions asked. But they did not seem to concerned at UPS that it was probably an inside job.

--

Belmont31R
03-07-13, 00:46
Not sure how the shipping warning applies to the 6.8 bolts.

I had to start adding a 'not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items during shipping' clause to my EE sales. Once I drop it off its not my responsibility anymore. If someone wants to pay for insurance Ill get it...but not playing with shipping items which sometimes cost over 2k and someone says the box is empty or whatever. Receipt of shipment is as far as I go. If the buyer doesn't want to take the risk something might go missing during the shipping process they can buy from someone else. No way Im eating an expensive sale on someone's word or relying on Fed, USPS, or UPS.

Alaskapopo
03-07-13, 04:49
My roomate sold an AK and shipped it insured through the mail to an FFL and on tracking it shows it leaving Anchorage and never arriving in Seattle. He files a claim and they reject it saying he can not ship a handgun. He has to file an appeal basically explaining an AK is not a handgun and it is legal under their own rules (quoting the rules) to ship rifles to a FFL. Still waiting on the results of the appeal. He is out the rifle and he had to refund the money to the buyer. So becareful right now with shipping any firearms.
Pat

Alaskapopo
03-07-13, 04:51

I had to start adding a 'not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items during shipping' clause to my EE sales. Once I drop it off its not my responsibility anymore. If someone wants to pay for insurance Ill get it...but not playing with shipping items which sometimes cost over 2k and someone says the box is empty or whatever. Receipt of shipment is as far as I go. If the buyer doesn't want to take the risk something might go missing during the shipping process they can buy from someone else. No way Im eating an expensive sale on someone's word or relying on Fed, USPS, or UPS.

Generally its on the seller until the items arrives to the buyer. I would not buy from you with that clause and don't know too many who would.
Pat

Thomas M-4
03-07-13, 05:00
I had a lower disappear for 4 days at the Memphis hub. I eventually got it but it was an interesting couple of days.

Littlelebowski
03-07-13, 06:21
Good ol' Unionized Postal Service.

NWPilgrim
03-07-13, 14:41
I think most buyers expect to have it Insured or explicitly offered insurance. When I buy something I pay to have it delivered to my door, I do not pay for it being "dropped off somewhere".

Alaskapopo
03-07-13, 15:44
Good ol' Unionized Postal Service.

Roommate spoke to the postal inspector on this and it seems most of the thefts come from the private non unionized sub contractors that handle the mail in different areas. Makes sense people that are not paid as well are more likely to steal vs those with more to lose from a good paying job. It seems you simply feel government workers should not be paid much above minimum wage and hence your strong opposite to unions who fight for government workers rights.
Pat

dhrith
03-07-13, 19:22
I've been vaguely aware of this malarkey lately and can assure you I was a tad nervous buying an LMT MWSF and a bunch of mags two weeks ago off gunsamerica and having it shipped here. Arrived safe and sound but having shipped someone 4k in USPS money orders still left me quite nervous. I told him I'd pay for insurance, but for someone trying to shave a nickel what assurance do i have that he actually did pay for insurance before dropping it off with fedex. I suspected it would turn into a giant fiasco if it disappeared.

Two weeks prior to that I ordered a book from kentucky and fedex got it within ten miles of my house before it took an 8 state detour down south before circling back. When going to the fedex center to pick it up, entrance was like a damn prison checking employees in and out of the facility. Unfortunately the gate guards didn't look very interested nor competent. Personally after seeing that I wouldn't ship a damn thing without insuring it.

Warp
03-07-13, 19:47
When going to the fedex center to pick it up, entrance was like a damn prison checking employees in and out of the facility. Unfortunately the gate guards didn't look very interested nor competent. Personally after seeing that I wouldn't ship a damn thing without insuring it.

UPS hubs are exactly the same. It's more stringent screening than many people get going through TSA. UPS didn't have X-ray type machines, but they had a walk through metal detector, handheld wand, strict rules about leaving certain things outside (had lock boxes just outside security shack), and physically searched the coolers, lunch boxes, jackets, coats, etc of everything that went through. Right down to "pull up on your pant legs so I can see your ankles" kind of checks.

The average employee going through strongly correlated.

And then there's the matter of how boxes are handled. Oye. If it might be able to break, pack it carefully and cushion the hell out of it.

(I briefly worked for UPS)

FlyingHunter
03-07-13, 20:29
In addition to insurance. It's also a good idea to suggest to the buyer that you will send the pkg. with "specific named adult signature required".

My experience has been the worst with USPS. Best with UPS although the stories in this thread spook me concerning UPS.

In today's "panic" market, the risk is high.

jaxman7
03-07-13, 20:58
I had a lower disappear for 4 days at the Memphis hub. I eventually got it but it was an interesting couple of days.

I am as of tonight trying to find an Eotech I purchased that disappeared in Kentucky.

USPS. Last track on it was the 4th. No further info past the sort facility. Scheduled delivery date was yesterday (6th).

-Jax

Littlelebowski
03-08-13, 12:43
Roommate spoke to the postal inspector on this and it seems most of the thefts come from the private non unionized sub contractors that handle the mail in different areas. Makes sense people that are not paid as well are more likely to steal vs those with more to lose from a good paying job. It seems you simply feel government workers should not be paid much above minimum wage and hence your strong opposite to unions who fight for government workers rights.
Pat

I've never not seen a UPS driver not in uniform and I do know for a fact that FedEX does use subcontractors everywhere, thereby ensuring lower operating costs unlike UPS. Hence UPSs' battle to forcibly unionize FedEX.

All of this is public, readily available information. Let me know if you need some links.

chadbag
03-08-13, 12:46
I am as of tonight trying to find an Eotech I purchased that disappeared in Kentucky.

USPS. Last track on it was the 4th. No further info past the sort facility. Scheduled delivery date was yesterday (6th).

-Jax

I wouldn't worry yet. Sometimes things get on the wrong truck. I send hundreds (used to be thousands) of packages through the USPS and never had one go missing, though a couple times a year, something disappears from tracking like that for a few days, then shows up in BFE wisconsin (when it was going from Utah to Texas) and gets back on track and is delivered a week late.

Now, if in two weeks, something has not happened, I'd start to worry.

--

Littlelebowski
03-08-13, 12:48
I'll never forget when UPS shipped my BarSto barrel to California. I live in Virginia. There was no excuse and they didn't bother apologizing nor making an excuse.

chadbag
03-08-13, 12:48
I've never not seen a UPS driver not in uniform and I do know for a fact that FedEX does use subcontractors everywhere, thereby ensuring lower operating costs unlike UPS. Hence UPSs' battle to forcibly unionize FedEX.

All of this is public, readily available information. Let me know if you need some links.

You guys are talking about two different things.\

Pat is talking about the post office -- USPS.

LL is talking about UPS (and Fedex).

USPS does use subcontractors to actually haul the mail, but all their sorting facilities I have ever seen are run by USPS employees (I've known people who work there).

And it is a fact that UPS (unionized) has lost packages / had them stolen from hubs etc. As has Fedex. And I would not doubt that the USPS has also, though I would think that the fact that the USPS has their own gun carrying cops (postal inspectors) might deter a few USPS employees from doing it.

-

fixit69
03-08-13, 12:50
Jax,

USPS is the worst. No matter what you think, use ups, FedEx, anyone else. I do a lot of mail order and they lost more of my shipments in one year than I had with ups in 4.

chadbag
03-08-13, 12:57
Jax,

USPS is the worst. No matter what you think, use ups, FedEx, anyone else. I do a lot of mail order and they lost more of my shipments in one year than I had with ups in 4.

That is interesting, because I have sent literally many thousand packages through USPS through my eguns.com business in the last 10 years (most in the last 7 years). Some years it was thousands in a single year. NOT ONE of the packages ever went missing.

I have also sent a ton through UPS (though mostly Fedex Ground since around 2001 and UPS 1996--2001 though a smattering by UPS since). UPS and Fedex Ground have both lost packages.

I had a customer stay home all day and wait for Fedex. The guy never showed. But the driver claimed he delivered it. Fedex would not pay for the insurance claim because the driver claimed he delivered it. Even though my customer was home, waiting, all day. Ended up costing me almost $300. (That is just one case -- also had stuff damaged through abused packages and they claimed it was packed inappropriately, even though it had several inches of packing peanuts around it and the type of damage it was could not have been through anything but abuse -- no insurance on that either).

Post office insurance is a PITA, but they do pay (I've heard, never used it). The few times I thought I would have to file a claim and started the too-long and too-much paperwork, the item would finally arrive.

---

CarlosDJackal
03-08-13, 13:03

A guy tried to pull this crap on me a couple of months ago. Needless to say I did not buy from him. How can it be the buyer's responsibility when they have absolutely no interaction with the item until it is delivered? By this ridiculous logic if a buyer mails you a Money Order for payment, you are responsible for it if it gets lost or stolen in transit.

IMHO, if you are going to sell someone anything you are an idiot if you do not insure it for at least its full value to include checks or Money Order. JM2CW.

CarlosDJackal
03-08-13, 13:07
Jax,

USPS is the only one of the carriers who have their own Federal Law Enforcement Agents who can investigate and prosecute anyone who tampers with the mail. The US Postal Inspection Service used to have the best conviction rate of any Law Enforcement Agency in the US (and may still have for all I know). Does either FedEx or UPS have the same resources with the same record?

IIRC, the USPS also cannot hire convicted criminals. UPS instituted the "Red Label" policy for firearms because they have no such policies and a group of them from a Maryland facility stole hundreds of firearms. FWIW.

fixit69
03-08-13, 13:28
Well, others have said that and others have echoed my setiments. What it is, I don't know. But I'm going back with what works for me.

TacMedic556
03-08-13, 13:34
I ordered some FireClean last week. The envelope that was supposed to contain two bottles of it arrived at my house empty. On the envelope was stamped "ARRIVED WITHOUT CONTENTS" and it was in a bag from the USPS that apologized. USPS made no attempt to find the two bottles, contact me about anything or even offer to make it right.

Luckily FireClean has SUPERB CUSTOMER SERVICE and sent me two other bottles plus a third as an apology for the inconvenience.

I cannot imagine what gets stolen in the mail service. It is probably epidemic.

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 13:39
A guy tried to pull this crap on me a couple of months ago. Needless to say I did not buy from him. How can it be the buyer's responsibility when they have absolutely no interaction with the item until it is delivered? By this ridiculous logic if a buyer mails you a Money Order for payment, you are responsible for it if it gets lost or stolen in transit.

IMHO, if you are going to sell someone anything you are an idiot if you do not insure it for at least its full value to include checks or Money Order. JM2CW.

I will get insurance if the buyer pays for it. If a money order gets lost in the mail the sender can get their money back after a certain amount of time. If I send something, and it gets lost, Im out the item and then have to refund the buyer? Other people may do that but I will not, and I've read enough about how these places deny insurance claims I'm not going to rely on that, either.

I will ship something any method the buyer is willing to pay for above and beyond what is my standard of USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation. If they want to pay for insurance, FedEx, UPS, a courier or to have me hand deliver it across the country that is up to them. The buyer is basically 'buying' the level of shipping they would like. Not my fault if they want a less secure or non-insured method.

Warp
03-08-13, 15:47
If I send something, and it gets lost, Im out the item and then have to refund the buyer?

I sent something with UPS recently. It disappeared and I have no recourse, it seems.

I am out the items, and I re-sent a replacement package to the buyer.

It sucks, but I'm not going to tell him too bad so sad.

Alaskapopo
03-08-13, 15:51
I sent something with UPS recently. It disappeared and I have no recourse, it seems.

Your right and this is how it works as a seller in the real world.
Pat

interfan
03-08-13, 15:58
USPS is the only one of the carriers who have their own Federal Law Enforcement Agents who can investigate and prosecute anyone who tampers with the mail. The US Postal Inspection Service used to have the best conviction rate of any Law Enforcement Agency in the US (and may still have for all I know). Does either FedEx or UPS have the same resources with the same record?

IIRC, the USPS also cannot hire convicted criminals. UPS instituted the "Red Label" policy for firearms because they have no such policies and a group of them from a Maryland facility stole hundreds of firearms. FWIW.

UPS and FedEx both have internal security and investigations divisions. I have a friend that retired from NCIS and is now working for FedEx in their internal security. Most of his job is centered on employee problems and workplace injury fraud, but they do investigate lost or stolen packages as well. The big problem is that most of the customer service people you call if you have a problem don't even know that his division exists.

For UPS, their internal security is a customer of my company, and they do investigate stolen packages. The sorting centers are under surveillance and they will examine footage during the sorting process. The way to get in touch with them is the local UPS hub manager. He has to get them involved. If you have a problem with a UPS Store, contact the franchise (they are all franchises and not owned by UPS) owner as they probably don't want employees who are stealing.

Granted, neither is law enforcement, but they do turn over any investigative results or evidence to local LE for prosecution.

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 16:07

I state in the ads I post that I am not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items during shipping. I'm not popping anything on anyone after the fact. There was a gun parts retailer, which I forget, that had an option for insurance and said they would not be responsible for lost items if you don't pay extra for insurance.

As long as this is stated up front I don't see the problem. Just the terms of the sale. I've never had a problem selling stuff on here in a reasonable amount of time, and only once did I have to remind someone the terms of the sale were that I am not responsible for missing packages.

I also keep the receipts, and use that as proof I shipped the item. It's not like I'm going to say something shipped, scam someone, try to **** them over. I'm not a business and I've sold some pretty pricey items. Usually for the high dollar stuff I include FedEx with insurance as opposed to the standard USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation. I actually did get kinda burned saying that in one ad, and didn't realize FedEx had a new policy of shipping ALL firearms overnight with the most expensive options. I thought that only applied to pistols, and I ended up having to spend $180 to ship a KAC SR25 to the buyer. I ate it, and that was my fault on my end for not being up to date. But I'm simply not going to ship (sometimes) expensive items when the buyer doesn't want to upgrade shipping, and then be on the hook if he claims he never got it or whatever. Then it turns into a 'he said she said' argument I'd rather avoid right from the start.

Alaskapopo
03-08-13, 20:33
I state in the ads I post that I am not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items during shipping. I'm not popping anything on anyone after the fact. There was a gun parts retailer, which I forget, that had an option for insurance and said they would not be responsible for lost items if you don't pay extra for insurance.

As long as this is stated up front I don't see the problem. Just the terms of the sale. I've never had a problem selling stuff on here in a reasonable amount of time, and only once did I have to remind someone the terms of the sale were that I am not responsible for missing packages.

I also keep the receipts, and use that as proof I shipped the item. It's not like I'm going to say something shipped, scam someone, try to **** them over. I'm not a business and I've sold some pretty pricey items. Usually for the high dollar stuff I include FedEx with insurance as opposed to the standard USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation. I actually did get kinda burned saying that in one ad, and didn't realize FedEx had a new policy of shipping ALL firearms overnight with the most expensive options. I thought that only applied to pistols, and I ended up having to spend $180 to ship a KAC SR25 to the buyer. I ate it, and that was my fault on my end for not being up to date. But I'm simply not going to ship (sometimes) expensive items when the buyer doesn't want to upgrade shipping, and then be on the hook if he claims he never got it or whatever. Then it turns into a 'he said she said' argument I'd rather avoid right from the start.

You can set the terms how you want and if the person wants to follow them and buy from you that is their buisness. But no smart buyer is going to buy from someone who says "hey if it gets lost in shipping its on you" Also insurance covers the shipper not the buyer. So they would have to wait for you to file a claim and then get their money back. That is not typically how buisness is done. Shipping problems are eaten by the seller generally.
Pat

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 20:49
You can set the terms how you want and if the person wants to follow them and buy from you that is their buisness. But no smart buyer is going to buy from someone who says "hey if it gets lost in shipping its on you" Also insurance covers the shipper not the buyer. So they would have to wait for you to file a claim and then get their money back. That is not typically how buisness is done. Shipping problems are eaten by the seller generally.
Pat

Which is why my terms of sale are what they are. I don't care what is generally done. I'd rather not sell a $3000+ firearm or $2000+ scope if Im betting on USPS, FedEx or UPS to ensure the item gets there, and then deal with their scam of an insurance system. Their stores will package stuff against the restrictions for claiming insurance, and all the packaging information is on the receipt. If you claim a huge loss they will do EVERYTHING they can to get out of it, and the insurance terms are so one sided odds are in their favor they can find some reason to deny it.

Like I said I am not hiding anything from anyone...so I don't really care how things are generally done. Thats not how I do ads, and if someone doesn't want to deal with it then they can skip on down the line.

Alaskapopo
03-08-13, 21:04
Which is why my terms of sale are what they are. I don't care what is generally done. I'd rather not sell a $3000+ firearm or $2000+ scope if Im betting on USPS, FedEx or UPS to ensure the item gets there, and then deal with their scam of an insurance system. Their stores will package stuff against the restrictions for claiming insurance, and all the packaging information is on the receipt. If you claim a huge loss they will do EVERYTHING they can to get out of it, and the insurance terms are so one sided odds are in their favor they can find some reason to deny it.

Like I said I am not hiding anything from anyone...so I don't really care how things are generally done. Thats not how I do ads, and if someone doesn't want to deal with it then they can skip on down the line.

You can do what you want I am just saying to all your potential customers buyer beware. It is not reasonable to ask the buyer to assume all the risk.
Pat

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 21:10
You can do what you want I am just saying to all your potential customers buyer beware. It is not reasonable to ask the buyer to assume all the risk.
Pat

What is reasonable is decided between two consenting adults agreeing to a deal. I've never had a problem selling stuff quickly so I doubt it's anything people have a huge objection to.

Alaskapopo
03-09-13, 05:46
What is reasonable is decided between two consenting adults agreeing to a deal. I've never had a problem selling stuff quickly so I doubt it's anything people have a huge objection to.

That is until you have a problem.