PDA

View Full Version : I am finally done with my 80% projects

m16
03-06-13, 15:23
Only took me a year, literally.

I bought these from Tactical Machining in early 2012 and sat on them for a while, it wasn't until recently that I was motivated to get started.

These forgings have become quite popular for obvious reasons, and since "build parties" have been popping up all over the place I figured what the hell, might as well put together a couple more rifles.

Both lowers were assembled with Colt lower parts, with the exceptions of the triggers which are Geissele SD-E.

I put together the top upper using a Mega side charging receiver and got a 16" barrel from Monty over at Centurion Arms, then covered it up with a 15" Troy Alpha rail. Sights are Troy fixed irons with a 2MOA Micro T-1.

The bottom upper is an LMT 14.5" with a 13" Troy Alpha rail and a pinned Vortex. Sights are Troy flip-ups with a 4MOA Micro T-1.

Here they are:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7572/img2266copy.jpg

I'm very happy with the end results, the Type III anodizing isn't perfect but I don't really care because these were built to shoot.

If I were to do anything differently I would probably have gone with Micro H-1 red dots and B5 SOPMOD stocks to save a little money.

I highly recommend Tactical Machining for your 80% receiver needs, they are quality Cerro forgings that went together without a hitch and I have seen some really bad forgings coming from other suppliers.

The TM receivers are good to go, when they are readily available again and the price has gone down I plan on buying some more.

titanse05
03-06-13, 15:42
Nice builds. The 80% builds have me interested and I have heard of these build parties but never any direction of where these parties are organized.

m16
03-06-13, 16:02
Thanks!

If you can't find a machine shop that hosts build parties, these receivers can be easily finished on a manual mill if you know how to read a blueprint.

I've also seen a tutorial on how to finish one of these with a jig and a drill press over on the cncguns site.

K_K
03-20-13, 17:36
I have been looking at what kind of CNC i would need and buying or building a CAD file to do 0%-80% receivers all day long. I want my class 07 bad!