PDA

View Full Version : What markings cant be removed for pistol?

Moose08
03-06-13, 18:33
I tried to Googled and search here for the answer but i couldn't find it,

I'm going to do some custom slide milling on my M&P9 and my M&P.22
and was wondering if there are any markings that can't be milled off due to NFA rules, like M&P 9 or Smith & Wesson Springfield, MA U.S.A, or does the serial on the slide the only thing that matters?

GUNSLINGER733
03-06-13, 18:35
Serial number will be only part that matters.

Moose08
03-06-13, 18:53
Thank ya

DWood
03-06-13, 19:13
I am no expert, but I believe the information above might be incorrect.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

T2C
03-06-13, 19:16

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

You are correct sir. Defacing firearm markings can get you some serious time in Federal prison.

citizensoldier16
03-06-13, 19:51
You are correct sir. Defacing firearm markings can get you some serious time in Federal prison.

Not necessarily true. The link, and the text contained therein, applies to importers and domestic manufacturers...not individual consumers.

While I'm not sure why one would want to remove markings, altering a privately owned (non-NFA) firearm is legal, provided one does not remove the SN.

DWood
03-06-13, 19:58
Not necessarily true. The link, and the text contained therein, applies to importers and domestic manufacturers...not individual consumers.

While I'm not sure why one would want to remove markings, altering a privately owned (non-NFA) firearm is legal, provided one does not remove the SN.

And at the end of the day, what's the point? Because it "looks cool"? I'll pass, but if it works for anyone else, go for it.

PS If the link and the text therein contains language about the serial number, along with all the other markings required of an importer, what makes anyone think everything but the serial number can be removed? That defies logic. If the argument is valid, then you could remove the serial number too. NOT.

citizensoldier16
03-06-13, 20:02
And at the end of the day, what's the point? Because it "looks cool"? I'll pass, but if it works for anyone else, go for it.

PS If the link and the text therein contains language about the serial number, along with all the other markings required of an importer, what makes anyone think everything but the serial number can be removed? That defies logic.

You can paint your car, add some spoilers, take off the brand badges...but you still have to have a license plate and a VIN number.

jack crab
03-06-13, 20:03

That is an interesting cite. It applies to manufacturers and importers, but does not mention end users - sort of like the tags on pillows and furniture that can't be removed.

However, the cite below applies to everyone and lists only the serial numbers as the protected mark.

27 CFR § 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991]

DWood
03-06-13, 20:05
You can paint your car, add some spoilers, take off the brand badges...but you still have to have a license plate and a VIN number.

Really? Comparing cars and guns?

citizensoldier16
03-06-13, 20:38
Really? Comparing cars and guns?

Whoa there killer....lets not start WWIII over the OPs question. Your link applies only to importers and domestic manufacturers - not end users. Merely pointing out that fact should be deemed helpful and in response to the OPs question.

T2C
03-06-13, 23:54
I would not deface any markings on a modern firearm, especially the manufacturer, caliber and model number. In my state you may remove the name of the manufacturer, model number and any other markings but the serial number when replacing parts or making changes to a firearm, but our rules do not cover every other state in the Union. State law will apply in each and every state you travel with your firearm and I don't think it's worth the risk.

GUNSLINGER733
03-07-13, 00:37
I've never read nor heard of it being illegal to remove a name or caliber marking on a firearm. Why the **** would it matter? so when a intruder breaks in your home he will know what ammo to feed it. Then after he shoots it heat like it and he will then know what brand it is to let all his homies know.

I've seen glocks and m&ps with milled slides, front cocking serrations, etc. I highly doubt you'll run into a problem with that but at the end of the day a American hater runs our country so who knows.

jack crab
03-07-13, 00:46
I would not deface any markings on a modern firearm, especially the manufacturer, caliber and model number. In my state you may remove the name of the manufacturer, model number and any other markings but the serial number when replacing parts or making changes to a firearm, but our rules do not cover every other state in the Union. State law will apply in each and every state you travel with your firearm and I don't think it's worth the risk.

For example, Va. Code § 18.2-311.1. Removing, altering, etc., serial number or other identification on firearm.

Any person, firm, association or corporation who or which intentionally removes, defaces, alters, changes, destroys or obliterates in any manner or way or who or which causes to be removed, defaced, altered, changed, destroyed or obliterated in any manner or way the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's or serial number, or any other mark or identification on any pistol, shotgun, rifle, machine gun or any other firearm shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Note Virginia specifically states maker, model, or other mark in addition to serial number.

A62Rambler
03-07-13, 15:55
If you are concerned enough to ask the question, why not ask the question to the correct authorities instead of an internet forum. Send a letter to the BATFE and get an answer in writing. Do the same with the Attorney General of your state. You will then have written proof that you made a conscious effort to behave according to law.

beschatten
03-07-13, 22:47
What would the case be for a Wilson Combat CQB -- if you ordered the 1911 by omitting slide markings?

FYI I live in VA.

green338
03-08-13, 14:39
Side markings are uncool

My Springfield Pro came like this :sarcastic:http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y416/JL-Vargas/EEE_zpsf8be4331.jpghttp://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y416/JL-Vargas/CCCCC1_zpsfa6d9bb3.jpg

Obiwan
03-08-13, 17:06
You could get rich removing the warning verbage!

RagweedZulu
03-08-13, 18:19
Here behind the Granola Curtain we only have to have the info on the FRAME. I suppose it's that way in most states since aftermarket slides are common (and even legal here). The manufacturer, model number and serial number have to be on the frame, but that's it. The slide and barrel are yours to alter as you wish. Mill away my friend.

Moose08
03-08-13, 19:05
If you are concerned enough to ask the question, why not ask the question to the correct authorities instead of an internet forum. Send a letter to the BATFE and get an answer in writing. Do the same with the Attorney General of your state. You will then have written proof that you made a conscious effort to behave according to law.

Going to now lol, thought it would be cut and dry answer. But will send letters to be 100%

Thanks for all the input anyways!!!