PDA

View Full Version : Does Profanity Make You Low Class...?

SteyrAUG
03-06-13, 23:34
It's an art every 12 year old must master before they can be truly accepted by their peers.

Living in S. FL I've come to expect it from everyone. Doesn't matter if it's the shirt and tie crowd or the no shirt at all crowd. and some do it way more than others regardless of the crowd they come from.

And I've done it. In fact I have over a decade of internet posts laced with profanity. In some cases it's simply how I talk when related to certain topics and other times (especially on the internet) it's done to emphasize a very strongly held opinion (i.e. "UN****INGBELIEVABLE").

I've noticed I often do it to more closely associate with my specific middle class peer group that isn't as easily offended by such things in order to avoid socializing with people who are easily offended by minor things. And of course I do it when relating to people I'm not currently happy with as a form of "fair warning" that "Yes, I am actually serious about being upset with what you are doing right now."

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I was sitting in a restaurant tonight, nice place but nothing exclusive or fancy, and the guy one table over (ironically shirt and tie) was having a strongly profanity punctuated discussion with the guy he was eating with. Normally I don't tune in the other tables but he wasn't really using his "inside voice", let alone his "inside a nice restaurant voice." And as a result, despite his clothes and appearance I began to view him in the same light as the average ghetto hoodrat.

And it was enough to actually make me consider how much I want to have in common with such an individual.

Is it pretty much like tattoos where not everyone who has one is a scumbag but often it's a reliable indicator? Just for clarification so nobody gets in a snit, I know plenty of decent people with ink and anyone with a military tattoo get's an automatic exemption and I assume they are decent people until I learn otherwise. But it seems that most of the people I have an extremely low opinion of also have ink...and they are loud and constantly use profanity.

Or is it just the way things are these days and profanity has become commonplace, accepted and expected behavior?

Belmont31R
03-06-13, 23:37
Nope. Just a different way to say things without beating around the bush.

Sensei
03-06-13, 23:39
It is the inability to disciple oneself and limit the profanity to the proper venues that determines the class.

Evil Colt 6920
03-06-13, 23:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

I try not to curse around women and children. With the boys though, Im a bad influence.

SteyrAUG
03-06-13, 23:47
It is the inability to disciple oneself and limit the profanity to the proper venues that determines the class.

Impressive. You synthesized my thoughts to a single sentence.

Endur
03-06-13, 23:51
Profanity only holds the weight someone perceives it as. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Now there is a time and place for it, say a work environment where you might encounter people it might god forbid "offend" and cost you that job, a job interview, meeting the gf's parents, other peoples children and so on... But by no means does it signify someone is lower class, less educated, ignorant, etc. A good chance however if someone fails to identify a time and place like the aforementioned or just completely neglects the common courtesy to refrain during the aforementioned, then chances are they are low life trash.

chadbag
03-06-13, 23:52
Impressive. You synthesized my thoughts to a single sentence.

He is the Sensei after all.

(funnyily (sic), my sister-in-laws call me "Chado-sensei" for some reason -- I think it is because I solve their computer problems from 16 time zones away but I don't really know)

--

theblackknight
03-06-13, 23:59
Ive never been able to have a "adult" person explain to me what a curse word is in a technical sense. Its simply words the FCC wont let pass on certain channels, and people only know them as bad because they are told and thats as far as it goes.

If every child born tomorrow wasnt told about these magic words, they wouldnt be used to even a fraction of the frequency they are now, and certainly not in the same context.

Some people say its a sign of weakness or stress, but this really depends on the person.

Also, **** you:D

sent from mah gun,using my sights

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 00:03
He is the Sensei after all.

(funnyily (sic), my sister-in-laws call me "Chado-sensei" for some reason -- I think it is because I solve their computer problems from 16 time zones away but I don't really know)

--

You realize that "Chado-sensei" literally translates as "Tea Ceremony Instructor" in Japanese don't you?

:lol:

Gramps
03-07-13, 00:05
I've never known anyone to be criticized for NOT, using profanity, but we all have known someone who was/is criticized for using profanity. When I have been known to use it, it doesn't take long for me to seem to use it at the most "Inopportune" time, DAMNIT! Personally, I hate it when that happens to me.

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 00:06
Ive never been able to have a "adult" person explain to me what a curse word is in a technical sense. Its simply words the FCC wont let pass on certain channels, and people only know them as bad because they are told and thats as far as it goes.

If every child born tomorrow wasnt told about these magic words, they wouldnt be used to even a fraction of the frequency they are now, and certainly not in the same context.

Some people say its a sign of weakness or stress, but this really depends on the person.

Also, **** you:D

sent from mah gun,using my sights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Vs5WAxodw

Dave_M
03-07-13, 00:39
Yes, image matters--be it clothing, body adornments (such as tattoos or piercings), language, manners, and the way one treats subjective 'lessers' (service/maintenance personnel).

My brother looks like a total scumbag to most people. Tattoos on his hands and neck (looks like a felon except his work is well done), very muscular (looks like a felon ) but has never been in any legal trouble (and for good reason--it's not that he, 'hasn't been caught' but because he's never done anything illegal. He's as straight as a razor).

He knows the image people see him in and because of this he has to go above and beyond regular manners (like, he always tips 25%+ at bars and restaurants because service people expect a 0% tip from someone who looks like him) and is stringently polite.

I have full sleeves due to a combined effort of being in service and because it was well, the norm among the group of guys I ran with.

These days I get a lot of, 'oh wow, you don't seem like the type of guy that would have so many tattos'. WTF? Should I, 'seem' like? A rapist or felon or something like that?

I'm a guy who has made girls swoon because I used a semi-colon properly via a text message. I admit, when I first meet someone (invariably female) I go out of my way to not show tattoos because they may, 'get the wrong idea' (like I was a bad person or other such nonsense). If I were into 19 year old girls, I would show them immediately because, 'it's hot' or whatever.

Honu
03-07-13, 00:49
I treat swearing like smoking ?
Something I dont do and dont want around my kids

And dont think it makes you cool or tough :)

But oh well its part of our society

Honu
03-07-13, 01:00
Dave M

Funny thing most tats seem mainstream these days ? I know never makes me think less but I have some ?
My brother a State Prosecutor has them also
And seems sports folks are into them these days

Unless its like here in AZ and I see a big 13 tat on the neck !

But when I taught diving part of my deal was go around the pool get folks to dive this was at a super high end 5 star resort
Same one Bill Gates got married at
This one dude had insane amounts all over plus he had a really potted face and just flat out looked like he would rip you apart
Went up with my typical HEY ya want to go diving he said nah but seems pretty cool
dead day so we started chatting turns out he was worth about 600 million :)
Ya just never can tell by looks alone
But he spoke very well and you could tell very educated when we were sharing stories about radical things we did not one bad word came out of his mouth !
Now not sure if he swears or not ? But was interesting as most folks at that resort never swore ? Come to think of it never heard any of them at that resort swearing
yet on Maui working at the sheraton or on dive boats maybe call it regular folks I would hear it all the time ?

Magic_Salad0892
03-07-13, 01:50
I have tattoos (I'll have my sleeves done after I finish the gun projects I'm working on), and I curse a fair amount. I like to think I conduct myself mostly well.

But there is unnecessary profanity. When it's used more than twice per sentence, or used more then three times per five sentences. IMHO.

GeorgiaBoy
03-07-13, 01:59
In one word: Yes.

J8127
03-07-13, 02:12
**** no.

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-13, 03:55

Well said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

That was epic, it had me in tears . . . :lol:

Alaskapopo
03-07-13, 04:43

Excellent post.
I have found there is a time and a place for profanity and that is generally when dealing with people who can't seem to understand anything else. But that is few and far between.
Pat

crowkiller
03-07-13, 05:01
My dad and grandpas used to use profanity until they accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior then their speech changed among other things. They never dropped the F bomb in front of women children or in public and frowned on people that did do such things. Ive never really used profanity and the times I did I was trying to fit in at school and wasnt any good at it and felt bad for doing it. Funny thing is the guys that did use profanity always had respect for me for not using it and when I did use it they called me down for it I always thought that was strange.

jet66
03-07-13, 08:51

+1. I told my son when he was young and let a 'bad word' slip: I know you're going to cuss, just learn when and where it's OK.

Zhurdan
03-07-13, 09:01
Swearing is like nudity.

1. It's only appropriate in certain settings.
2. Women don't prefer it in public as much as men seem to.
3. Don't go throwing it around where people might be offended.
4. Not everyone can pull it off without making people sick to their stomach.
:D

Shokr21
03-07-13, 09:47
I use profanity as added emphasis to extreme emotion, or to get across to someone with a rather thick skull.

My old man is a white collar dude who likes to be blue collar outside of the 9-5. He always told me that cussing showed the inability to better articulate yourself to your intended audience. I take that to heart, I don't cuss to simply cuss, I use it as a tool when my vocabulary and tone aren't enough.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-07-13, 10:39

His exactly

03-07-13, 10:52

I'll have to agree also. I have been working to no longer curse. Hasn't been too bad.

Army Chief
03-07-13, 11:56
To my mind, the liberal use of profanity tends to imply certain limitations on the part of the speaker, as there are usually much more creative and intelligent ways of communicating even the most emphatic or strenuous of points. That said, I suspect that a lot of this is just something of a mindless social habit, affirmed (or rejected) by those with whom we choose to spend our time.

Less is more, this much I know for certain.

AC

djmorris
03-07-13, 12:02
To my mind, the liberal use of profanity tends to imply certain limitations on the part of the speaker, as there are usually much more creative and intelligent ways of communicating even the most emphatic or strenuous of points. That said, I suspect that a lot of this is just something of a mindless social habit, affirmed (or rejected) by those with whom we choose to spend our time.

Less is more, this much I know for certain.

AC

Agreed.

I admit to having more of a 'potty mouth' than I should but generally I use it to add emphasis, if anything. Also a bad habit from being around people who constantly use swear words. :D

brickboy240
03-07-13, 12:22
If you ask me....context and placement is everything.

Saying "****" out loud when you drop a stone on your foot or barely miss getting hit by a car in the street....ok.

Using that and other 4 letter words non-stop, while in a restaurant full of families with kids....THAT is low class. Ditto for using these words when talking to people you don't know.

Yes...overuse of many swear words IS low class if you ask me. Nothing more low class than some moron dropping F-bombs right and left when young children are around. Can you scrounge up SOME manners for a moment, please?

I have taught my kids to not use those words, just because you have nothing else to say...it makes you look stupid and low class.

-brickboy240

fixit69
03-07-13, 12:36
When I grew up, cursing was all around me. Think of growing up with the worst of the worst. My dad did everything they could to stop me but I cussed like two drink sailors as a child. My father, while a great man, was known to curse but not around women and children. His efforts were running into my trying but failing. One time I made the mistake of cursing with my mother and father around.

Needless to say, corporal punishment was exacted. And suddenly at the age of 6, my dads standards started to become mine. Sure I slip occasionally, still many years later after the belt whoopin on my posterior, I hear my dads voice loud and clear"if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all".

And I'm still trying... Slipping. But trying.

skydivr
03-07-13, 12:53
In it's proper place and time, it can be an effective tool, but it can easily be used too flippantly and make the user look foolish. I wish I could control my use more.

I once knew a 1SG that was a master at it. He could lace a sentence with the F word in between every other word - it was impressive.

fixit69
03-07-13, 12:57
Oh some of the guys I knew when I was young could weave a Persian silk carpet of curse words so fluidly it would blow your mind.

FlyingHunter
03-07-13, 13:05
Profanity, well that all depends. Now, excessive and ever increasing taxes, that my friend will pull you down to "low class"

markm
03-07-13, 13:09
On gun forums it's an absolute must because you're quite often dealing with ****TARDS! :D

fixit69
03-07-13, 13:10
That's a common slip of mine markm

KTR03
03-07-13, 13:17
My 78 year old English mother would say "Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate". Which I think is ****ing hilarious...

Actually... I see profanity as a spice, not a staple. If you swear all the time, its not a spice and it therefore loses its impact. I don't swear a lot, but when I do, it has immediate impact because I don't do it often.

Churchill said "a gentleman is never rude unintentionally". That seems to cover it pretty well.

Armati
From the greatest Warrior Poet General in American History - George S. Patton:

"When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. ... As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence."

"All through your Army careers, you men have bitched about what you call "chicken shit drilling". That, like everything else in this Army, has a definite purpose. That purpose is alertness. Alertness must be bred into every soldier. I don't give a **** for a man who's not always on his toes. You men are veterans or you wouldn't be here. You are ready for what's to come."

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about ****ing!"

"A proper gentleman can swear for thee minutes without repeating himself."

FlyingHunter
On gun forums it's an absolute must because you're quite often dealing with ****TARDS! :D

Now that Shit was funny...and true

Magic_Salad0892
03-07-13, 13:26
Churchill said "a gentleman is never rude unintentionally". That seems to cover it pretty well.

That sums it up, for me.

khc3
03-07-13, 13:55
Expletives, as parts of speech, only have real impact when used rarely.

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-13, 15:05
Oh some of the guys I knew when I was young could weave a Persian silk carpet of curse words so fluidly it would blow your mind.

"I have since heard of people under extreme duress speaking in strange tongues. I became conscious that a steady torrent of obscenities and swearing of all kinds was pouring out of me as I screamed." - Ralphie A Christmas Story

"In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan." - Ralphie A Christmas Story

:lol:

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-13, 15:06

"When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. ... As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence."

"All through your Army careers, you men have bitched about what you call "chicken shit drilling". That, like everything else in this Army, has a definite purpose. That purpose is alertness. Alertness must be bred into every soldier. I don't give a **** for a man who's not always on his toes. You men are veterans or you wouldn't be here. You are ready for what's to come."

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about ****ing!"

Great Caesar's Ghost, that man was a word smith! IMHO Gunny R. Lee Ermey is a close second. :cool:

maximus83
03-07-13, 17:18
Three concise comments so far have put it well.

Expletives, as parts of speech, only have real impact when used rarely.

Churchill said "a gentleman is never rude unintentionally".

Restraint, and situational awareness.

Gramps
03-07-13, 17:25
The name "Eddie Murphy" comes to mind. Poor dude couldn't make a movie without every other word being a cuss word. I remember a LOT of people who considered him to have no class due to his language.

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 17:30
The name "Eddie Murphy" comes to mind. Poor dude couldn't make a movie without every other word being a cuss word. I remember a LOT of people who considered him to have no class due to his language.

At the same time it's what made a lot of us from the 80s generation be able to relate to him. Richard Pryor was no different a decade before. It was also essentially a big part of who he was, just as the lack of profanity made Bill Cosby who he was.

Except of course on rare occasions.

I said to a guy, I said, "Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful?", and he said, "Well, it intensifies your personality." I said, "Yes, but what if you're an asshole?"

Army Chief
03-07-13, 17:55
At the same time it's what made a lot of us from the 80s generation be able to relate to him. Richard Pryor was no different a decade before. It was also essentially a big part of who he was, just as the lack of profanity made Bill Cosby who he was.

Good point. Interesting that, while all of these men were funny, we tend to remember Pryor or Murphy more for being crass, and Cosby for having class. Profanity is a fairly cheap filler device for a comedian, and it actually takes more skill and cleverness to develop material without it -- which is why I probably tend to look at Cosby as the real genius of the three.

AC

aguila327
03-07-13, 18:02

Well said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-13, 18:07
Good point. Interesting that, while all of these men were funny, we tend to remember Pryor or Murphy more for being crass, and Cosby for having class. Profanity is a fairly cheap filler device for a comedian, and it actually takes more skill and cleverness to develop material without it -- which is why I probably tend to look at Cosby as the real genius of the three.

AC

Spot on, his 1983 standup Himself is without a doubt one of the greatest comedic acts ever performed and it's clean. I remember watching an interview with Sinbad where he stated that at his first stand up gig at the Apollo he was introduced to Cosby (his idle) back stage. He said he asked Mr. Cosby for some advice for a young up and coming comedian and Bill's response was "keep it clean man".

Litpipe
03-07-13, 18:17
Depends on use and intent. Overall though...no. Its part of our language and ability to express. It is why I say we speak American, not English.

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 18:24

AC

But how did you feel about it during the early 80s? We thought Cosby was funny but Pryor and Murphy were hilarious. And while I still think Murphy and Pryor are hilarious I tend to see Cosby as the better man these days. Of course much of that is things like his willingness to be honest about racial issues even when talking to the NAACP.

And while I liked The Cosby Show when I was in school I find it virtually unwatchable these days. Of course a good deal of that is I despise Phylicia Rashad for her portrayal of a "better than thou and knows everything" super mom who is a lawyer on the side when in reality she was just a giant cokehead.

Magic_Salad0892
03-07-13, 18:34
But how did you feel about it during the early 80s? We thought Cosby was funny but Pryor and Murphy were hilarious. And while I still think Murphy and Pryor are hilarious I tend to see Cosby as the better man these days. Of course much of that is things like his willingness to be honest about racial issues even when talking to the NAACP.

And while I liked The Cosby Show when I was in school I find it virtually unwatchable these days. Of course a good deal of that is I despise Phylicia Rashad for her portrayal of a "better than thou and knows everything" super mom who is a lawyer on the side when in reality she was just a giant cokehead.

Didn't Bill Cosby say that pro-2Aers, and people who didn't vote for Obama were racist?

Army Chief
03-07-13, 18:37
But how did you feel about it during the early 80s? We thought Cosby was funny but Pryor and Murphy were hilarious. And while I still think Murphy and Pryor are hilarious I tend to see Cosby as the better man these days.

At the time, I knew Pryor and Murphy were doing something "wrong," so being a teenager, I suppose that I found their routines especially hilarious on that account, if nothing else. I still find some of the old Carlin and Pryor performances funny, though when I see much of Eddie's old stand-up, I'm slightly embarassed that I took such pleasure in a lot of it. Steve Martin provided some middle ground for me in those days: not exactly clean, but not wholly filthy, either. Cosby never had any of this same edge, of course, but I could listen to it with my family, which I came to appreciate even more once I had children of my own.

AC

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 18:37
Didn't Bill Cosby say that pro-2Aers, and people who didn't vote for Obama were racist?

Possible.

I just recall him telling the NAACP that if parents worry more about the cost of their shoes than their children's education they are bad parents. There was of course a complete meltdown.

Magic_Salad0892
03-07-13, 18:40
I gotta say my favorite comedians curse all the time.

Patton Oswalt, and Louis C.K..

Though I remember when Bob Saget tried to be "raunchy" and he just sounded awkward, and misplaced.

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 18:41
At the time, I knew Pryor and Murphy were doing something "wrong," so being a teenager, I suppose that I found their routines especially hilarious on that account, if nothing else. I still find some of the old Carlin and Pryor performances funny, though when I see much of Eddie's old stand-up, I'm slightly embarassed that I took such pleasure in a lot of it. Steve Martin provided some middle ground for me in those days: not exactly clean, but not wholly filthy, either. Cosby never had any of this same edge, of course, but I could listen to it with my family, which I came to appreciate even more once I had children of my own.

Gotcha. But to me it wasn't that they were doing something wrong so much as they were speaking "our" language (that language being the profanity laced vocabulary of my friends and I). In fact their "sound bites" would become part of our specific vocabulary, the more obscure the reference the more valuable it was.

Completely agree that children change the equation, and that is why Murphy started doing Nutty Professor movies.

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-13, 18:42
Possible.

I just recall him telling the NAACP that if parents worry more about the cost of their shoes than their children's education they are bad parents. There was of course a complete meltdown.

This and pull your britches up, be well spoken, and if you impregnate a girl marry her and be a man by being a father to your child.

The man has class for sure.

SteyrAUG
03-07-13, 18:44
Though I remember when Bob Saget tried to be "raunchy" and he just sounded awkward, and misplaced.

Yep, really didn't work for him. Dangerfield and Kinison were of course the masters. Some guys only had profanity which is what made Dice a shot term "also ran."

And there is perhaps nothing more creepy than Betty White these days trying to be hip, edgy and calling people bitches. Actually kind of makes my skin crawl.

Heavy Metal
03-07-13, 19:37
Do you want to know why words with a hard consonant sound like **** and shit are considered low-class while words like deficate and fornicate are ok even though they describe EXACTLY the same thing?

Because **** and shit have their roots in Germanic Old, Pre-Norman Conquest English. They were the words of the lower class while the conquering upper class spoke French.

When French contanimated Old English, the Frankish forms of things were considerd proper and the Germanic forms were considerd lower-class and vulgar.

It's all a French conspiracy.......seriously. That and the fault of Harold for losing in 1066. It is a cultural taboo that has persisted for nearly a thousand years.

halo2304
03-07-13, 21:19
I don't trust a man who accidently smacks his thumb with a hammer and yells "Fudge!"

I subscribe to the whole "swearing adds spice" thought. If, for instance, a comedian tells a joke and uses profanity. If you remove the profanity, is the joke still as funny? If no, the profanity adds to it. If yes, then it's not necessary.

Watch any Quentin Tarantino film and count how many times profanity is used. If it were a drinking game, you'd die of alcohol poisoning before the end of the opeing credits!

Another thing, I can't stand listening to a song on the radio that has the profanity dropped out. It's like listening to someone read a Mad Lib's without the words added. If it's going to sound like audio swiss cheese, pick a different song.

That said, not a day goes by I don't swear at or because of some one or some thing.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-07-13, 21:22
**** it, I dont have time to worry about my profanity.

fixit69
03-07-13, 21:23
Easy for you to ****in allude.

fixit69
03-07-13, 21:25
Do you want to know why words with a hard consonant sound like **** and shit are considered low-class while words like deficate and fornicate are ok even though they describe EXACTLY the same thing?

Because **** and shit have their roots in Germanic Old, Pre-Norman Conquest English. They were the words of the lower class while the conquering upper class spoke French.

When French contanimated Old English, the Frankish forms of things were considerd proper and the Germanic forms were considerd lower-class and vulgar.

It's all a French conspiracy.......seriously. That and the fault of Harold for losing in 1066. It is a cultural taboo that has persisted for nearly a thousand years.

Damn someone did a cursory search. Awsome, heavy.

Endur
03-07-13, 21:37

This 100%

Heavy Metal
03-07-13, 21:41
Damn someone did a cursory search. Awsome, heavy.

Actually, I have know that for years. This is an old debate for me. Honestly, I didn't have to google a bit of it.

Basically, my argument was the Bible did not concern itself between the differences in Old English and Latin derived words for acts and functions.

As far as the Battle of Hastings, whether a Western man has organic knowledge of that event tells me more about his character than his choice in swear words.

HES
03-07-13, 22:14
Like the line from "A Chrsitmas Story" thats already been quoted, profanity is my medium of choice. Having said that there is a time and place for everything. I don't deny that like Cosby's description of his father in "himself", having children has made me sound like a stuttering idiots as well.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-13, 04:07
As far as the Battle of Hastings, whether a Western man has organic knowledge of that event tells me more about his character than his choice in swear words.

True story.

When I was about eleven years old I was visiting an uncle of mine who told me if I could tell him what year the Battle of Hastings was fought in that he would give me something (I forget what now) and when I replied 1066 Anno Domini he about fell over. I'll never forget that, it was a very proud moment for me in my young life at that time as both my father and uncle bragged about me after that.

I've always been passionate about history, especially that of my ancestors.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-13, 04:20
Like the line from "A Chrsitmas Story" thats already been quoted, profanity is my medium of choice.

Hah! I didn't include that quote in my original post but that is a hell of line too. Jean Shepherd (aka Ralphie) is a true word smith as well!

"I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."
- Ralphie A Christmas Story

I don't deny that like Cosby's description of his father in "himself", having children has made me sound like a stuttering idiots as well.

"Dad, I'm Jesus Christ?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34qB4tQHy-g

Pure gold I'll tell you . . . :lol:

yellowfin
03-08-13, 11:52
I've tried to cut down on it the last couple of months because I'll be interviewing for a new job soon and need to present myself the best I can. Also, the Mrs. keeps bugging me about wanting to have kids so I need to be able to keep things clean with them. I've managed to quit tobacco entirely for the last 4 years so I want to keep on working on self improvement.

The stupid ammo and AR shortage right now plus the political situation sure has made keeping a clean vocabulary extremely hard, though.