PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9L

1H11
03-07-13, 00:44
Anyone using a M&P 9L on duty?

Does anyone know where I can find a new M&P 9L? I'm looking for a 5" M&P for duty, but can't find the 9L anywhere.

gunnut284
03-07-13, 09:23
I think Grant confirmed the standard M&P9L was discontinued. I think the Pro and CORE 9L are the 5" options currently "available".

Soxfan21
03-07-13, 12:06
I currently use an M&P 9L on duty, and love it. I have had it for about 2 years now, and have had no problems with it. Other guys on my department have attempted to find a 9L, but have had no luck since they have been discontinued. I have heard that the M&P 9 Pro is an excellent alternative, I just don't know how the fiber optic front sight would hold up for everyday duty use.

callen3615
03-07-13, 12:37
Why do you want the L?

I sold my full size 9mm last year for a 5" pro and I didnt like it. I didnt notice any appreciable difference if target acquisition, I did notice more muzzle flip. I sold it and went back to the full size model.

GUNSLINGER733
03-07-13, 16:21
Good luck finding a L series. The Pro Series and CORE will be your only option unless you find a gun store with old stock...

Hammar
03-07-13, 16:33
You may have some luck finding a used one if you watch the USPSA classifieds and Enos forums classifieds. I've seen several "L's" come up for sale. I picked one up that way.

1H11
03-08-13, 18:25
Thank you all for your input. So, I'm tired of looking for a 9L, and I'm now looking into the 5" Pro for work. I will change out the sights, as they're not combat ready. Trijicon HD

My next issue is that I run a Surefire x300 mounted. I can't find a Safariland holster model 6280 or 6390 that will fit the M&P 5" Pro/x300. I use the light alot when I handle my K9. Any idea if Safariland makes a holster for the 5" with weaponlight?

Once again thanks guys for your postive input!

Stay Safe

M_Rapp
04-08-13, 12:24
Thank you all for your input. So, I'm tired of looking for a 9L, and I'm now looking into the 5" Pro for work. I will change out the sights, as they're not combat ready. Trijicon HD

My next issue is that I run a Surefire x300 mounted. I can't find a Safariland holster model 6280 or 6390 that will fit the M&P 5" Pro/x300. I use the light alot when I handle my K9. Any idea if Safariland makes a holster for the 5" with weaponlight?

Once again thanks guys for your postive input!

Stay Safe

I sent ya a PM.

BaronFitz
04-08-13, 13:23
I use a Safariland 6004 for my 5" Pro with SF X300 on my warbelt when I'm wearing armor.

It also fits my M&P 45 full size with X300.

Here's the spec on the holster (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56530)

I know it's not the same line as the one's you're looking for, but knowing that the one for the HK 45 4.53" barrel worked with the 6004 may hold true for some of the other holster types as well.

1H11
04-08-13, 22:03
BaronFitz, thanks for the input brother.

kenndapp
04-09-13, 07:31
Why do you want the L?

I sold my full size 9mm last year for a 5" pro and I didnt like it. I didnt notice any appreciable difference if target acquisition, I did notice more muzzle flip. I sold it and went back to the full size model.

is this the experience of many? i bought a m&p pro 5" over a fs because i figured it would some how be more "shootable"........and it has been. i love it. but i have never shot a regular fs in comparison. i do remember hearing somewhere a long time ago that longer sliders tend to offer more recoil and muzzle flip.

1H11
04-09-13, 17:04
is this the experience of many? i bought a m&p pro 5" over a fs because i figured it would some how be more "shootable"........and it has been. i love it. but i have never shot a regular fs in comparison. i do remember hearing somewhere a long time ago that longer sliders tend to offer more recoil and muzzle flip.

I would ask those same people. Why do so many shooters shoot the G34/PRO in IDPA and other shooting competition/disciplines? And WIN.

They shoot flat and fast.

Nick S
04-09-13, 17:18
I own a L, a 5" Pro and a full size. All in 9mm. The difference in recoil is a moot point. I can't really tell a difference. In my opinion the benefit of the 5" guns is the slightly longer sight radius gives me a subjective feeling the gun "tracks" and indexes a little better.

The 5" guns will fit in the Safariland holsters for the full sized guns however will protrude slightly from the bottom, at least the 6377/78. While not a LEO I would imagine that would not be a good thing, especially if you are in the woods running a dog.

Hopes this helps.

Nick

1H11
04-09-13, 17:34
I own a L, a 5" Pro and a full size. All in 9mm. The difference in recoil is a moot point. I can't really tell a difference. In my opinion the benefit of the 5" guns is the slightly longer sight radius gives me a subjective feeling the gun "tracks" and indexes a little better.

The 5" guns will fit in the Safariland holsters for the full sized guns however will protrude slightly from the bottom, at least the 6377/78. While not a LEO I would imagine that would not be a good thing, especially if you are in the woods running a dog.

Hopes this helps.

Nick

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I agree with your comment of the recoil between the three being a moot point.

1H11
04-09-13, 17:36
UPDATE. I purchased a Safariland 6390 and then added the ALS Guard for my 5" PRO/X300 combo.

Can't say enough about the holster. I ran a SLS for many years.....no more.

kenndapp
04-09-13, 18:40
UPDATE. I purchased a Safariland 6390 and then added the ALS Guard for my 5" PRO/X300 combo.

Can't say enough about the holster. I ran a SLS for many years.....no more.

Is this made specifically for the 5" with x300? Or the hk holster that happens to fit the 5" pro w/ x300?

Thanks the replies on recoil every one. I was on the fence about purchasing a new m&p9 ...... I just couldn't decide if I wanted anouther 5" pro or 4.25 fs. Looks like a new 5" is in order.

theblackknight
04-09-13, 20:12
As one who shoots both sizes, the difference is almost not worth mentioning. Its really only that my FS sights SEEM to snap back faster.

You will want to change the sights on the pro, the rear sight notch is bullseye tight and not good for fast seeing.

1H11
04-09-13, 21:43
Is this made specifically for the 5" with x300? Or the hk holster that happens to fit the 5" pro w/ x300?

Thanks the replies on recoil every one. I was on the fence about purchasing a new m&p9 ...... I just couldn't decide if I wanted anouther 5" pro or 4.25 fs. Looks like a new 5" is in order.

Specifically made for the 5" Pro&L/X300 and alike weaponlights. CopQuest is the online vendor I got it through. Shipping took about 3-4 days.