PDA

View Full Version : Non free float rails

WickedWillis
03-07-13, 22:26
Hey guys, I just got in my BCM 16" mid-length upper so I can complete my first AR build. I was looking to run a rail on it. I do not currently have a fore-end at all. I do not believe I need a free float rail, because it will be a defensive carbine and if I plan on engaging anything past 300 yards I will use a bolt gun. What are my options for quality rails? I really like the Daniel Defense 9.0 EZ rail, but I am not 100% sure it will work on my upper. Does anyone else make some good drop-in kid length rails? I will be mounting a light and a Magpul VFG on it. Thanks!

Degs
03-07-13, 22:27
Lots of em. Test your google-fu, and the orange search button up there to the right.

WickedWillis
03-07-13, 22:31
The orange search button did not yield what I was looking for.

tehpwnag3
03-07-13, 22:32
Get a MOE.

steyrman13
03-07-13, 22:34
https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=5592380
Searched for midlength drop in. There are several results on first page including pics of ones for sale to include Troy drop in rail, MOE, etc

MistWolf
03-07-13, 22:35
For the light-
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/CarbineSurefire002.jpg

Artiz
03-07-13, 22:43
The MOE would suit your needs perfectly.

Too many people buy FF handguards/rails, only to end up with the same configuration they had in the first place, but with a less robust front sight and a $300 hole in their pocket.

To mount a light there is the MOE scout light mount which is a picatinny mount or the Mount-N-Slot variety from IWC.

AKDoug
03-07-13, 22:43
First question, does this upper have a fixed front site base, or does it have a low profile gas block?

If it has a FSB it should have a delta ring and handguard cap. With these you can easily install a Magpul MOE handguard. It's cheap and it's effective. Using components from Impact Weapons Components you can easily mount QD sling mounts, light mounts, and other accessories.

If you have a low profile gas block there are a couple options of forends that bolt right to the stock barrel nut.

WickedWillis
03-07-13, 23:02
It's a Bravo company 16" mid length with a fixed front sight

AKDoug
03-07-13, 23:06
Then Magpul MOE would be the way I'd go.

Aaron_B
03-07-13, 23:43
The Daniel Defense 9.0 EZ rail should work just fine if you want that. As mentioned a much less expensive way to go would be the Magpul Moe handguard.

Travis B
03-08-13, 05:45
Since its your first build I would go with a moe and use the extra money in ammo in training. From there decide if you need a drop in rail.

samuse
03-08-13, 06:07
Seeing as how you wanted a rail, I'd go with a Daniel Defense, Midwest Industries or a Troy.

Since you can't buy any ammo, might as well get whatever else you want.

smoky
03-08-13, 07:14
The MOE is a good choice if you are on a budget. Not pretty by any means, but they work pretty good.

If you absolutely have to have rails, the DD rails are a good choice. MI is also worth the consideration.

ohiorifleman
03-08-13, 07:19
If you know you want a rail get a Troy- has QD sockets built in.

number9xd
03-08-13, 08:11
Then Magpul MOE would be the way I'd go.

Yep. I got a DD Lite 12" on a BCM 14.5" just because, I hadn't had one and wanted to get one on this rifle. My 16" BCM has MOE hand guard and I actually like it better.

The only way I'd get a rail again is if I planned on running a bipod on a precision rifle. And I'd never get a rail that wasn't a free float rail.

I'm thinking of swapping the 14.5" barrel out for a 16" or 18" match barrel at some point and taking advantage of the free float rail.

CrazyFingers
03-08-13, 09:21
The MOE is a good choice if you are on a budget. Not pretty by any means, but they work pretty good.

Well, that kills the whole deal.:fie:

Seriously though, unless you have a clearly defined need for a rail, what you probably want is just an MOE with a rail section or two. It will do everything that most first-time AR-15 users think they need a rail for, and your bank account will thank you.

Steve S.
03-09-13, 00:43
The MOE would suit your needs perfectly.

Too many people buy FF handguards/rails, only to end up with the same configuration they had in the first place, but with a less robust front sight and a $300 hole in their pocket.

To mount a light there is the MOE scout light mount which is a picatinny mount or the Mount-N-Slot variety from IWC.

A free float rail isn't all about a slight increase in accuracy. Remember, things like sling pressure and resting on a barrier all affect the barrel in non-free float rails.

A free float rail will also allow the user to extend their hand further out on the weapon, increase the sight radius, and get a weapon light further out towards the muzzle where it should be.

Once training, sling, weapon light, and ammo are taken care of, I honestly think you see the most advantage to a free float rail out of any upgrade to a carbine outside of a good optic.

Caeser25
03-09-13, 06:19
Unless you're mounting a bipod, ir laser, or its a precision setup, I'd stick with a moe or the Mossie tactics mount.

RGoose
03-09-13, 06:48
Unless you're mounting a bipod, ir laser, or its a precision setup, I'd stick with a moe or the Mossie tactics mount.

If you are just looking at a light and VFG, then go with the MOE. It's a solid functional piece. It may not have the "sex appeal" of a full length rail, but it will be easier on your budget and allow you to purchase more overpriced mags and ammo for training.

WickedWillis
03-09-13, 12:45
Thank you guys, this was the helpful and knowledgable insight I expected.

dentron
03-09-13, 12:57
Another nod for the moe

FireandFlames
03-09-13, 12:59
Just coming in to add that the DD EZ Car rails are excellent rails, I had the carbine version on my first AR several years ago. Rock solid and super simple to install.