PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Cleaners

C4IGrant
03-16-08, 11:01
At this years Shot Show, I was on my way to a meeting when I strolled by an Ultrasonic Cleaner manufacturer's booth. There were offering a special price ($100 below normal dealer pricing) and I had to take a look.

After some discussions, I bought a small one so that I could use it for BCG's, pistols, etc. Time is money to me and cleaning weapons tends to be WAY down the list of things to do.

Last week my order finally came in and just last night I got it all put together. All I can saw is WOW! I have never really used one of these before so I was unprepared for how well they work.

I took my BCG from the recent M4C/Vickers class which had about 700rds through it (half of which were shot with my can). I stripped the BCG and stuck it in the basket for 8 mintues. Pulled it out, rinsed it off and stuck it in the lube bath for 3 minutes. It came out so clean that I just couldn't believe it.

So for those of you that shoot a lot, but hate to clean (or do not have time too), I would REALLY suggest that you look into one of these systems!

C4

blake6551
03-16-08, 11:05
I have been wanting one of these for years but never got around to it. What manufacturer/model did you purchase?

SIGfest
03-16-08, 11:08
Just curious if you will eventually carry them? I probably can't justify one right now, but what brand, and price point are they going for? I can see where a gunsmith would benefit from having one. Thanks for the heads up.

C4IGrant
03-16-08, 11:09
I have been wanting one of these for years but never got around to it. What manufacturer/model did you purchase?

Crest.

C4

C4IGrant
03-16-08, 11:38
Just curious if you will eventually carry them? I probably can't justify one right now, but what brand, and price point are they going for? I can see where a gunsmith would benefit from having one. Thanks for the heads up.

I was not planning on it.

I think I paid $900 for mine (dealer price) and it is only big enough to do handguns.

C4

HES
03-16-08, 20:16
I took my BCG from the recent M4C/Vickers class which had about 700rds through it (half of which were shot with my can). I stripped the BCG and stuck it in the basket for 8 mintues. Pulled it out, rinsed it off and stuck it in the lube bath for 3 minutes.
You had me until that last sentence. Forgive my ignorance, byut why not just wipe your weapon down with your lube of choce? Im willing to bet that there is something here that Im missing, so if you wouldnt mind clueing me in I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, what do you mean by Lube bath? Do you mean just a tub of some sort filled with lube that you let the parts soak in?

NetJunkie
03-16-08, 21:10
I'd love one of these. My only concern is that I've heard they'll take the paint/markings off a gun. A lot of my handguns are HK and I hear it'll remove the stenciled markings.

HES
03-16-08, 21:28
At another forum I belong to they were talking about this. Apparently Northern tool had a nice ~$100.00 parts cleaner and a bunch bought em and tried em out. The only problem thats been discovered so far is with Aluminum. Dont put Aluminum parts in it.

johnson601
03-16-08, 21:42
I used to work at an open-pit copper mine in the assay lab and we used ultrasonic cleaners for our screens. I can say that these would be great to use, I just wish I had thought of that when I worked there!:(

RojasTKD
03-16-08, 23:26
For those of us who don't have the big bucks to spend on one of the high price units. I recently picked up a relatively inexpensive Ultrasonic unit from e-bay and it works pretty well. Harbor freight Tools has one that looks identical for $80.

Now it not a Crest, but it a good starting point on a budget. Link here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95563

As for me I plan to use a cleaning solution (possible Ed's Red, Break Cleaner or just mineral spirits) and then rinse and lube with CLP.

Any Suggestion of an inexpensive cleaning solution would be appreciated.

C4IGrant
03-17-08, 08:22
You had me until that last sentence. Forgive my ignorance, byut why not just wipe your weapon down with your lube of choce? Im willing to bet that there is something here that Im missing, so if you wouldnt mind clueing me in I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, what do you mean by Lube bath? Do you mean just a tub of some sort filled with lube that you let the parts soak in?

Well, the gun was used in the rain at a carbine class. It was time to clean it. Yes, you could just "squirt some oil on it," but this is a temp. fix and the weapon needs to be cleaned.

There are three steps to using an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

1. Put components into cleaning solution and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
This removes 100% of everything from the item. Meaning, there is no lube of any sort on the part.

2. Rinse parts in hot water to remove cleaner.

3. Put Lube tray on top of the ultrasonic cleaner (with parts in the solution). Let sit for 2-3 minutes. This process return lube to the parts.

C4

carshooter
03-17-08, 12:24
I used a Crest Ultrasonic cleaner daily for six years in a high volume, commercial shooting range.

They work very, very well for maintenance of 100+ classroom and range rental firearms.

Be very cautious with the heat and agitation settings. I've personally eaten the anodized finish off of an aluminum pistol frame with one, and killed several sets of night sights.

Ultrasonic cleaners are a great time saver and will clean areas you just can't reach by hand. Eventually, we settled on using one in combination with a cheap parts washer filled with Ed's Red. For extremely stubborn parts cleaning, such as a bolt carrier assembly, use the parts washer and a toothbrush first.

The Ultrasonic cleaner I used would contain a complete AR if it was broken in half. I cleaned AR15 range guns with it on numerous occasions. Just make sure the settings are correct before placing an anodized upper and lower in it.

markm
03-17-08, 13:04
I read that ultra sonic cleaners are awesome at taking the carbon out of your 5.56 can..... Although some shooters would say "why bother?"

Renegade
03-17-08, 13:38
hehehe, I bought one at SHOT too the previous year.

Have since found out not all finishes are durable, the USCleaner can take the finish off some guns!

HES
03-17-08, 13:59
Well, the gun was used in the rain at a carbine class. It was time to clean it. Yes, you could just "squirt some oil on it," but this is a temp. fix and the weapon needs to be cleaned.

There are three steps to using an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

1. Put components into cleaning solution and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
This removes 100% of everything from the item. Meaning, there is no lube of any sort on the part.

2. Rinse parts in hot water to remove cleaner.

3. Put Lube tray on top of the ultrasonic cleaner (with parts in the solution). Let sit for 2-3 minutes. This process return lube to the parts.

C4
Thanks for the education. May I ask...what lube you are using in the bath? Something similar to Break Free or another special type of lube?

C4IGrant
03-17-08, 15:15
I used a Crest Ultrasonic cleaner daily for six years in a high volume, commercial shooting range.

They work very, very well for maintenance of 100+ classroom and range rental firearms.

Be very cautious with the heat and agitation settings. I've personally eaten the anodized finish off of an aluminum pistol frame with one, and killed several sets of night sights.

Ultrasonic cleaners are a great time saver and will clean areas you just can't reach by hand. Eventually, we settled on using one in combination with a cheap parts washer filled with Ed's Red. For extremely stubborn parts cleaning, such as a bolt carrier assembly, use the parts washer and a toothbrush first.

The Ultrasonic cleaner I used would contain a complete AR if it was broken in half. I cleaned AR15 range guns with it on numerous occasions. Just make sure the settings are correct before placing an anodized upper and lower in it.

Yeah, I have figured out how powerful this thing is already.

C4

C4IGrant
03-17-08, 15:16
Thanks for the education. May I ask...what lube you are using in the bath? Something similar to Break Free or another special type of lube?

It is some industrial lube that comes with the ultrasonic cleaner (crest product). It is VERY light so it is nothing like your normal gun lubes.

C4

NinjaMedic
03-18-08, 18:03
Disclaimer - I do not in any way advocate the use of WD40 on firearms in most circumstances.

That being said, I just picked up on of the harbor freight units to experiment with. After cleaning the parts in the hot water, would WD40 be a suitable replacement for the commercial ultrasound lube? If I understand correctly thats what the wd stands for is water displacement. I would think, as poor a choice as wd40 is for other firearms related application, that it would provide just enough protection for the nooks and cranies that regular lubrication doesnt reach. Any thoughts?