PDA

View Full Version : handgun choices and methods for various carry situations

Mag360
03-08-13, 08:23
While I'm fortunate enough to live in a county that will issue permits to carry (license to carry) to normal folks I am limited with how many guns I can put on my permit (3).

I've been carrying for a couple years now and I find myself having a very easy time for regular day to day dress, jeans, shorts, t shirt, polo, or some type of lightweight unbuttoned shirt on top of my t shirt depending on the situation. The difficulty is dressing in suits for me or situations where it is better to not have a gun on my hip or it is undesirable such as really crowded areas. Usually I just tuck my shirt around my Comp Tac M-Tac holster but it looks sloppy and then I can't have my jacket off as often since the clips still show too.

I like the smart carry holster think "crotch carry" for lack of a better term but am worried about carrying loaded chamber with my current carry choices (all glocks). I'm thinking some type of small, thin, 9mm with a safety like the M&P is just about perfect for what I am looking for. Now i've seen people stick those trigger block plastic pieces on their glocks, is that a viable option for what I want to do?

I currently have a G19, G26 (every day gun), and a G20 for hiking. I'm open to any opinions on the matter of carry or which guns I should buy and add or remove from my permit.

bzdog
03-08-13, 08:38
I prefer a good "tee holster" for deep concealment (needs to be strong and snug to avoid movement), but had similar concerns about protecting the trigger. What I did is make a Kydex "taco" for my firearm:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/26845-uc-comfort-action-video-finally-6.html#post472355

I've used this approach with my HK P2000SK which is very similar in size to your G26. I've also carried a Sig P239 (single stack), but I think the "thinness" issue is overrated. You should be able to find a way to conceal that G26 effectively.

That said, the Shield seems like a perfectly nice firearm as well.

Remember one benefit of the G26 is you can carry full capacity reloads, but with a single stack your overall ammunition capacity will remain modest even with a couple of spare mags.

-john

Trajan
03-08-13, 11:54
By "crotch carry" do you mean AIWB?

AIWB is perfectly safe assuming you have proper gun handling skills.

I would keep your current Glocks, and look into the RCS VG 2 holster. With the VG2 I imagine you will start carrying your G19 much more than your G26.

bzdog
03-08-13, 12:03
No, I think he means the actual Smart Carry product which is effectively a pouch you wear under your pants:

http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

-john

Big A
03-08-13, 12:27
By "crotch carry" do you mean AIWB?

AIWB is perfectly safe assuming you have proper gun handling skills.

I would keep your current Glocks, and look into the RCS VG 2 holster. With the VG2 I imagine you will start carrying your G19 much more than your G26.

+1

I've been CC'ing since '07 and have yet to have an accidental or negligent discharge of any of my carry guns (Glock 19, Glock 26, M&P 340) and I either pocket carry, AIWB carry, or regular IWB carry (4 o'clock position). If you're not worried about shooting yourself in the ass with your current carry set up I don't see why you'd be anymore concerned about shooting yourself else where on your body.

Your G26 is perfectly fine for appendix carry with the propper set up.

S-1
03-08-13, 14:46
How about an air weight J-Frame in an ankle holster for the suit and tie occasions? Its far from ideal, but its something.

tdoom15
03-08-13, 14:50
-G19 for EDC
-PPS or Shield for days you need to wear a suit and want a slimmer profile. Do the clips showing really matter that much? With as many people having cell phones and such clipped to their waist, I don't think anyone would think twice about it. I carry a PPS in a MTAC daily with dress pants and no one is the wiser.
-G20 for hiking

bzdog
03-08-13, 18:17
Or become one of those folks that doesn't take their jacket off.

-john

RagweedZulu
03-08-13, 18:31
As another guy who lives in the Central San Joaquin Valley in CA, I can tell you it gets HOT. Jackets are not an option from late June through September. OP, lemme know where you are because I think we are very close geographically.

I'm LE here, so CCW of a pistol has been an every day thing for 15-16 years in all types of weather. My hot weather EDC is a Glock 27 worn AIWB under a t-shirt and shorts. Very comfortable and easy to pull off. I also carry a G29, a G30 and a G23 from time to time in warmer months.

For dressier carry when I'm not in court and can't carry a full size gun, I like my Ruger LC9 worn AIWB. I use a cheap little Galco Tuck-N-Go and I can tuck shirts over it. This setup is the only real way I can go armed if I'm going to have to take my jacket off. It's challenging sometimes, but whether it's 28 degrees or 115 degrees here, I've been armed every single day and, with the hostile conditions out there nowadays, I wouldn't go any other way. Good luck OP. PM me.

Mag360
03-08-13, 18:55
The ankle holster idea would be completely new to me so that would require a lot of new training, not out the window but not preferred. in a suit I could see it useful if sitting often. I think i'd still prefer AIWB or IWB 4 o clock like I usually do.

ST911
03-08-13, 20:16
I've carried substantial guns in suits, sport coats, and even tuxedos. Business casual with a sport jacket standby was my primary dress for a period of time.

Finding a good tailor, with experience working with armed folks, is very helpful in maintaining a professional appearance. Minor tweaks to the cut and drape of a suit jacket can make a huge difference in belt carry. Adjustments to pleats, pocket depth, and thigh trim help with pocket carry. Length, rake, and cuffing of the pant (as well as shoe selection) help with ankle carry.

You might not do a full size gun (ala M9, G17, Government Model) in such modes of dress, but you could do more than an LCP, Tomcat, or similar. You have to want to get it done. Subcompact Glocks and J-frames are easy with a little effort.

This isn't a "you should have searched first" link, but there is a thread with some good discussion about how much gun to carry and how here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43787

Steve S.
03-08-13, 21:52
I find two pistols and three holsters will do everything I want.

1) I keep a G34 with X300 Ultra OWB holster, since it will carry my usual Glock 19 with X300 or X300 Ultra. It will fit a 17 / 22 / 23 / 19 / 34 / 35 - as long as either an X300 or X300 Ultra is mounted. Since the area forward of the G19 muzzle is taken up by the X300, i prefer to get a little extra tuck by using a G34 holster (which has the added benefit of model versatility). I use this holster / weapon combo for winter or late at night. Two single OWB mag carriers. G17 mags with +2 plates.

2) G19 IWB Holster. Carries either my usual G19 or can carry a G26 / 27 / 23. By setting up the correct cant and holster type, a G19 will disappear under an untucked shirt. One single OWB mag carrier and one IWB mag carrier. G17 mags with +2 plates.

3) M&P Shield Tuckable IWB Holster. I use this when wearing suits or in a "less permissive environment". This pistol will disappear under a tucked shirt, and concealment is greatly increased over a G26. One IWB mag carrier, and one mag in a pocket (jacket or pant's coin pocket - depending on dress).

So two pistols, three holsters, and 4 mag carriers will do anything I want as related to concealment. I have more weapons that I shoot and carry occasionally - but the above is my golden combo. I don't fiddle with screws or swapping belt attachments. Just keep all 3 holsters LocTite'd, and make sure to wear a sturdy belt.

Salamander
03-17-13, 21:36
I'm in a similar situation... in a California county with a three-guns on the permit limit. I work in an office most days and as a project manager I, like you, can't get away with the untucked-shirt look. My one advantage is that I'm in a coastal area where it's relatively mild all year so lots of folks keep a suit jacket or a sweater on all day and that doesn't register as unusual.

After a lot of trial and error I've found that while I can carry almost anything up to and including a full-size .45 if I'm willing to endure the hassle, under most circumstances it's just not worth it. So the bigger guns are relegated to hikes in the backcountry on weekends or visits to remote project sites when I can dress down a little.

For EDC I've finally settled on a HK P2000sk in 9mm LEM, with flat base plates on the magazines. For now it's carried in a IWB Comp-Tac MTAC which is very comfortable and conceals well, although I also have a Raven Phantom on order. This is the first gun I've ever not worried at all about printing, it's melted in all the right places and hides better than smaller guns. The HK finish is also holding up well to the coastal climate (humidity in winter and salt spray near the water), and it's been an utterly reliable gun. I also have a personal preference for the Euro-style mag release and for me the ambi controls are a big plus.

I still prefer a bigger (in grip size, sight radius, and caliber) gun for woods carry. For now it's a M&P 45 in a Raven Phantom OWB and overall I'm fairly happy with this setup.

So for permit purposes, I list: 1) a subcompact 9mm, in this case the P2000sk; 2) a compact (4-inch barrel) 9mm or .45 potentially for winter EDC, currently re-evaluating this one; and 3) a full size woods gun in a larger caliber, currently a M&P 45. In practice I could get by with two guns (#1 and #3) and the third is more of a backup.

Things I tried and rejected along the way: A Sig P229 (heavy, and I don't like DA/SA for EDC, although it concealed well enough), and a Glock 26 (the blocky form was a little harder to hide than the HK, but the real reasons were brass to face and several FTEs and ergonomics that didn't work well with my hands).

CobraBG
03-17-13, 21:59
OP, I know you have listed the 3 guns you now have. My go to choice when wearing a dress outfit like a suit or tucked in dress shirt and slacks is a S&W M&P 340 .357 J frame revolver in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It works well for me when I can't easily conceal my usual Glock 30SF.

rathos
03-17-13, 22:01
How about an air weight J-Frame in an ankle holster for the suit and tie occasions? Its far from ideal, but its something.

I also like this method of carry as a back up gun, especially when I am driving. It is very easy to get to an ankle mounted gun when driving, especially if you need to draw it in a fashion to not be seen drawing a gun.