PDA

View Full Version : Glock Ordered. Current wait times?

Nater
03-08-13, 08:30
Last fall I decided to get a new rifle and handgun. I got the rifle before all this crap happened. Now that I have healed from that, I moved on to purchase a new handgun. To make a long story short, I decided on a FDE Gen 4 Glock 17. One of my trusted LGSs was willing to place the order for me, as they are a Lipsey's dealer. It is a small shop, and I ordered it with the manager after being offered a FDE Glock 34. The price was right (not demand-inflated). I'm not in a huge hurry for it, but I'm curious if anyone has recently been in this position, and what the time frame was from order to fulfillment. Supply is erratic at best and wholly insufficient to meet demand. I don't do the online gun auction thing and this will be the second brand new firearm I have ever purchased (the first was a S&W J-frame for my wife). This will be my first Glock, as I have always carried a 1911 before this.
Thanks, Nater

sammage
03-08-13, 08:39
What did your LGS say?

Nater
03-08-13, 08:50
What did your LGS say?

The manager said it all depended on the model ordered. I don't believe that they have ordered many FDE units. The only reason that they had two coming was because their guy at Lipsey's offered them; one was the G34 and the other was a .40cal, neither of which I was interested in. The manager said that he couldn't make any estimates on the model I wanted. I decided that if I was going to order one, I was going to get what I wanted, regardless of wait. I'm just trying to get a feel from other individuals. I recently saw a the model I ordered for sale from a scalper for $995! That is over $400 more than I paid. No thanks on that, but someone with deeper pockets than me probably bought it because s/he didn't want to wait.
Nater

danattyfatty
03-08-13, 09:05
I ordered a gen 4 g19 on 11/30/12 and was told 3-4 months. It arrived on 2/15.....now I'm on day 18 of Maryland's 7 day wait :banghead:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Nater
03-08-13, 09:20
I ordered a gen 4 g19 on 11/30/12 and was told 3-4 months. It arrived on 2/15.....now I'm on day 18 of Maryland's 7 day wait :banghead:

Congrats, and sympathies both to you my friend. Do you know which distributor your G19 came from?

danattyfatty
03-08-13, 09:22
Congrats, and sympathies both to you my friend. Do you know which distributor your G19 came from?

No idea, sorry.

MountainRaven
03-08-13, 09:26
I didn't know they were doing FDE G34s.

:eek:

Swstock
03-08-13, 09:28
I ordered a g19 about a week ago. Ill keep everyone posted.

Nater
03-08-13, 09:33
I didn't know they were doing FDE G34s.

:eek:

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=GLPG3430103D

No picture, but it is listed here.

HCM
03-08-13, 09:55
Glock is telling my guys 120 days for standard, black 17s and 26s through the LE purchase program.

I got my Gen 4 17 last january - an FDE gen 4 -34 would be very tempting .....

D. Christopher
03-08-13, 23:19
Nater you're being very wise. I have a good feeling about this one. If you don't have it in store by 75 days or less I will buy you a beer. (A great big one!)

Now use that same wise approach and get to work finding the best deals on lots of practice ammo, a good holster, and whatever other accessories you need so you have them there and ready to go when that pistol arrives. Continue the trend of being smart and don't listen to anybody when they tell you to start changing parts on YOUR GUN until you've shot it enough to know how it fits you and what YOU need. It should serve you well. Well done and have fun!

Swag
03-08-13, 23:32
I've been interested in replacing my G24 with a G34 for quite a while now. Not particularly fond of FDE though. But, even still...

Nater
03-08-13, 23:54
Nater you're being very wise. I have a good feeling about this one. If you don't have it in store by 75 days or less I will buy you a beer. (A great big one!)

Now use that same wise approach and get to work finding the best deals on lots of practice ammo, a good holster, and whatever other accessories you need so you have them there and ready to go when that pistol arrives. Continue the trend of being smart and don't listen to anybody when they tell you to start changing parts on YOUR GUN until you've shot it enough to know how it fits you and what YOU need. It should serve you well. Well done and have fun!

Thanks for the kind words and advice about prioritizing my expenditures. There are two things which I have seriously considered buying to complement this tool (besides holster and ammo).
1. Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8 Ledge sights, and
2. A Surefire X300.

I have the Heinie sights on my 1911 and I like them A LOT. I have shot Heinie equipped Glocks as well and found them to be equally satisfying. I haven't shot a Glock with standard sights for quite some time, but they really are the weak link. The weapon light will not be a huge priority until the Glock proves itself GTG for home defense, and until I and the wife prove ourselves with it.

D. Christopher
03-09-13, 02:00
You continue to impress me, you sound pretty squared away. The stock sights are indeed the weak link and everyone's eyes and needs are different, so it's an important and personal choice that others can't make for you. It's good that you already have experience with the Straight 8s and know they work for you.

The weapon light is another personal choice that everyone has to make for themselves. I'm not LEO or military and I just can't bring myself to point a pistol like a flashlight. I also don't like the bulk of an attached light because I carry IWB. I always carry a Surefire, even when I can't carry a pistol and I know that for me a separate light and pistol is far superior tactically and probably much safer for myself and others than a mounted light. Mounted lights have their place, they're just not for me.

I must admit I'm hooked on Crimson Trace lasers though, and have G-619s on all my G19 pistols. Not only do they enhance my capabilities but they are one of the best teaching and training tools I've ever seen.

Keep us posted on the arrival of your new pistol.

Kilroy
03-09-13, 09:26
The guns are trickling through at a slow rate, due to demand everywhere. It would not be unusual for the distributors to be told to plan and order with a 12+ month lead time. Back orders are likely in a number few would have ever imagined.

ST911
03-09-13, 09:36
Dealers are wise to quote extended lead times, and take the annoyance up front rather than an annoyed customer calling daily after a deadline has passed.

Mak8080
03-09-13, 11:28
A couple of my LGS were pretty swamped and quoted me 4 months, but truthfully...it could be longer depending on model.

Dos Cylindros
03-09-13, 12:32
I was fortunate and able to pick up a brand new Gen4 G23 in stock last week. That being said it was a LEO blue label, and this place only sold to LEO. They also had G22's and G17 Gen4's in stock. I was told a one year wait from another local dealer in town.

Surf
03-09-13, 14:00
Glock is back ordered on pistols by 1 million units. At their current ramped up production rate it would take them 1 year to produce 1 million pistols. Not to mention orders that are added every day. Much will depend on the situation. Some orders take precedence over others, such as Military, Law Enforcement, volume of dealer, pistol ordered etc... Some dealers may already have certain pistols on order, so if you want a certain model that was ordered a few months ago, you might get it sooner, if it was not already pre-sold.

naloxone
03-09-13, 16:56
Glock LE rep quoted me 270 days to order direct from Glock last week. If your LGS is going through a distributor, it may be a different wait.

Maize
03-09-13, 19:27
Glock is back ordered on pistols by 1 million units. At their current ramped up production rate it would take them 1 year to produce 1 million pistols. Not to mention orders that are added every day. Much will depend on the situation. Some orders take precedence over others, such as Military, Law Enforcement, volume of dealer, pistol ordered etc... Some dealers may already have certain pistols on order, so if you want a certain model that was ordered a few months ago, you might get it sooner, if it was not already pre-sold.Damn...

Anyone know if it is possible to get the new beavertail backstraps in FDE?

Nater
03-11-13, 23:31
Thanks to all who have responded to my questions. For those of you who have Glocks on order, please keep me/us posted.

The way I understand the scenario is that (since Lipseys salesmen have been anticipating the rise in demand for some time now) they have been ordering more units from Glock than they have demand for from the retailers. This is what my LGS manager told me about the supply side of things. Thus, the number that Glock is behind is the total number for direct sales and contracts, plus the number ordered by wholesale distributors. If my LGS's explanation is accurate, then some wholesale distributors, at least Lipseys, have many more units on order than what are spoken for.

And herein lies the reason for the uncertainty of delivery times on units ordered through retailers who source through distributors like Lipseys. This seems to explain why the LE (blue label program?) delivery dates are most likely accurate for those types of direct purchases. The distributor-retailer-consumer purchases are much more unpredictable. I would be very curious to know how many units Lipseys has ordered from Glock and how many they actually have requests for from their retailers. Perhaps the complexity of the supply and demand is beyond my understanding, but the main concept which I am seeing is this: current market demand appears to have been artificially inflated by the distributors in anticipation of future demand.

Perhaps there is an economist who can actually shed some light on this situation for me? Things get complicated for me when there are manufacturers who sell both directly to individual consumers, and who sell to distributors who sell to retailers who sell to individual consumers.

Swag
03-11-13, 23:44
Seen three G17s (Standard Capacity) in stock today at a local spot, regular pricing. Two Gen3 and one Gen4...

Nater
03-11-13, 23:55
Seen three G17s (Standard Capacity) in stock today at a local spot, regular pricing. Two Gen3 and one Gen4...

FDE too, I'll bet! :(

Is regular pricing on a Gen4 $600 or less?

Swag
03-12-13, 00:01
FDE too, I'll bet! :(

Is regular pricing on a Gen4 $600 or less?

Black and $550.00ish for the Gen4. Something like $520.00ish for the Gen3s...

Swstock
03-21-13, 12:04
I ordered a g19 about a week ago. Ill keep everyone posted.

Sorry... It took just over 2 weeks to get.

Nater
03-21-13, 16:30
Thanks, Swstock. I'm about at the 2-week mark now as well. Do you know what distributor it came through?

Swstock
03-21-13, 17:48
Thanks, Swstock. I'm about at the 2-week mark now as well. Do you know what distributor it came through?

Im not sure at all. Im on Long Island so its probably different from there.

Nater
04-08-13, 17:05
My Glock arrived at the LGS today. I picked it up, and they had 50rds of Blazer Brass set aside for me as well. I haven't fired it yet, and I probably will not get the chance for the next couple weeks. It took just over 4 weeks to come in, and the LGS treated me fairly. Most local stores will not even take orders. I'm rather excited.

D. Christopher
04-08-13, 17:25
Congratulations Nater. I told you you'd have it in less than 75 days, but I actually thought it would be 6 to 8 weeks. You are one of the few I know of that didn't get caught up in the BANick buying madness. Well done, I know it will serve you well.

Nater
04-08-13, 18:34
The only disappointment now is that the beer which I thought D. Christopher was going to owe me is off the table! That and the fact that I have virtually no 9mm ammo...

More info...
It came with:
4 backstraps (2 extended beavertail, 2 non ext.)
3 Magazines (some LGSs were ripping customers off and only giving them 2; mine promised me 3, and I got 3)
30274 ejector
024 recoil spring assembly
27 March 2013 test fire brass

D. Christopher
04-08-13, 21:50
But you played it smart and didn't waste any money on ripoff prices so your beer fund should be in pretty good shape. Add to that the fact that there is no shortage of beer and you're in better shape than most. Ammo is still going to be tough for a while but it is out there. If you're not doing it already just spend a lot of time online and order some bulk when it shows up. (From a known reputable source.)

You've got a brand new pistol from a company with good customer service and you didn't give an arm and a leg for it. That's an accomplishment in this climate. What is the letter code in the serial number of a brand new Glock these days? I haven't bought a new one in over 4 years. At least you can't prove that I have! :secret:

Reddevil
04-10-13, 14:08
Glock LE also quoted me 270 days for factory ordering a G17. I was told its because of their British military contract. I ended up finding a bunch at Scottsdale Gun Club and picked up a blue label Gen3 there. They got a bunch of Gen4 in last week, too. I've seen plenty of Glocks at the local dealers here so they're trickling in, but I have not seen any FDE in stock locally.

Maineshooter
04-10-13, 22:45
Glock is telling my guys 120 days for standard, black 17s and 26s through the LE purchase program.

Same story I am getting. I think the price makes it worth the wait though.

okie john
04-11-13, 12:24
I'm starting to see Glocks around Seattle and Portland for $550-650. G17s are the least common, but both Gen3 and Gen4 variants are available. Not sure about how many mags are included, but the guns are out there. Ammo remains scarce, but that's getting better as well.

Okie John

Michael2007
04-11-13, 18:45
I'm hoping that they are still producing the FDE G34s when I get purchase finds available so I won't have to pay OD style rip off prices. My 19 needs a new 9mm friend.

okie john
04-11-13, 20:12
Actually, one of the guns I saw in Portland was a FDE G34. It was priced at $650 if I remember correctly.

Okie John

Frailer
04-11-13, 21:23
...What is the letter code in the serial number of a brand new Glock these days?...

The prefix of the Gen4 Glock 26 I picked up this week is USS. Test fire date was 11 March.

FWIW elapsed time from the date I ordered this from my regional "blue label" distributor until it shipped to my FFL was just over three weeks.

D. Christopher
04-13-13, 00:41
Thanks Frailer, I was just curious what letters they were up to by now. And 3 weeks doesn't sound too bad for such a popular pistol.

mayonaise
04-14-13, 12:25
Deep into the U prefixes.

No on FDE beavertails (at least for now). May happen if Lipsey orders them.

gigag04
04-17-13, 13:20
I ordered a gen4 G34 from GT Distributors in early jan, and took delivery this week.