PDA

View Full Version : International Woman's Day...?!?

SteyrAUG
03-08-13, 19:02
Apparently that is today. Do people really need validation that badly?

Seems everyone has a day, week or month except for those inherently bad white males. How about this, how about we just have Mother's Day and Father's Day? We don't really need Grandparent's day because guess what? They have kids and if they did any kind of decent job as parents they will be getting at least a card or phone call.

That's it. Mother's Day, Father's Day and nothing else.

No Black History Month, no Pride Week, No Asian Awareness Day (hope that doesn't really exist) and No International Woman's Day.

I am a Middle Age White Male and I have witnessed the following.

Since about the 1970s you any portrayal of a criminal, especially of the street variety must be a white male despite crime statistics. If you watch anything on the Outdoor channel and you are seeing a firearm promoted for home defense the guy kicking in the front door will absolutely be white or it is RACIST.

You must have a required number of minorities provided preference for scholarships and college admission or it is racist. The NFL and NBA where they hand out millions of dollars in contracts has no racial equity requirement and can be based exclusively on performance.

I was never given a job because I am white. I do however suspect there were at least a couple instances where I was NOT hired because I was white. I have never gotten my "white man" check and if their is a white racist conspiracy to keep minorities down they forgot to tell me about it.

I have gotten all of my jobs by merit with zero preferential consideration and I started my own business all by myself without any assistance from a White Global Syndicate and I sure as hell didn't qualify for any grants, loans or get started programs.

I don't qualify for government programs of assistance because I bought a home with the money I earned (I don't qualify for any Section 8 assistance). I don't qualify for any loan modifications or loan deductions because I am not in debt because I don't borrow more than I can pay and I don't buy what I cannot afford. As a result I pay back in FULL while others get discounts for not being as responsible.

As a result of being a responsible person I actually end up paying for other people who aren't as responsible. Yet there is no International Responsible Person day to recognize our contribution.

From the civil rights movement I was taught "everyone is equal and NOBODY should get priority or preferential treatment which would result in others being a second class citizen." But that isn't what I am seeing from here. I just did my taxes and the government took about 15% of my household income. That is money I could have really used all year as the economy has put a severe burden on my business.

Last night as I sat with the windows open because we finally got some nice weather I heard the lone air conditioner of my neighbors running...they too had all their windows open. Really easy to figure out who doesn't have to pay for their own electricity.

And before anyone decides we should get a Responsible Person Day or a Middle Age White Male day (as if that would ever really happen) please know I don't want it. Again...Mother's Day an Father's Day are all we need. I really don't require that much validation to get through life, but some basic equality and a level playing field for ALL sure would be nice.

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 19:09
The point here is to corrupt the traditional values and get people to become discouraged so they 'give up'. I know its not easy, and I like being called a racist because it lets me know I'm hitting a nerve. :D

Adopt the same tactics just use your own values, and you'll get people so pissed off you can see the frustration of them realizing their argument is full of fail....so they lash out. Thats when the racism accusations come...

streck
03-08-13, 19:11
I hear it's big in Saudi Arabia.....

Ryno12
03-08-13, 19:17
Funny you bring this up. I just asked my wife an hour ago, "when is regular dude, white guy day?" She said "every day is regular dude, white guy day." :rolleyes:
I feel exactly the same way man, this stuff is getting ridiculous.

Edit: don't want to hurt people's feelings now.

currahee
03-08-13, 19:24
Your racism really came out in your post

SteyrAUG
03-08-13, 20:06
Your racism really came out in your post

Ironically "race" doesn't even exist. Regardless of any attempted qualifier there is always a genetic exception. Might as well classify people by height or hair color and give arbitrary preference accordingly.

I wish more people understood they are actually discussing cultural preference when they start talking about the needs of this race or that race.

Alaskapopo
03-08-13, 20:31

Seems everyone has a day, week or month except for those inherently bad white males. How about this, how about we just have Mother's Day and Father's Day? We don't really need Grandparent's day because guess what? They have kids and if they did any kind of decent job as parents they will be getting at least a card or phone call.

No Black History Month, no Pride Week, No Asian Awareness Day (hope that doesn't really exist) and No International Woman's Day.

Since about the 1970s you any portrayal of a criminal, especially of the street variety must be a white male despite crime statistics. If you watch anything on the Outdoor channel and you are seeing a firearm promoted for home defense the guy kicking in the front door will absolutely be white or it is RACIST.

You must have a required number of minorities provided preference for scholarships and college admission or it is racist. The NFL and NBA where they hand out millions of dollars in contracts has no racial equity requirement and can be based exclusively on performance.

I was never given a job because I am white. I do however suspect there were at least a couple instances where I was NOT hired because I was white. I have never gotten my "white man" check and if their is a white racist conspiracy to keep minorities down they forgot to tell me about it.

I have gotten all of my jobs by merit with zero preferential consideration and I started my own business all by myself without any assistance from a White Global Syndicate and I sure as hell didn't qualify for any grants, loans or get started programs.

I don't qualify for government programs of assistance because I bought a home with the money I earned (I don't qualify for any Section 8 assistance). I don't qualify for any loan modifications or loan deductions because I am not in debt because I don't borrow more than I can pay and I don't buy what I cannot afford. As a result I pay back in FULL while others get discounts for not being as responsible.

As a result of being a responsible person I actually end up paying for other people who aren't as responsible. Yet there is no International Responsible Person day to recognize our contribution.

From the civil rights movement I was taught "everyone is equal and NOBODY should get priority or preferential treatment which would result in others being a second class citizen." But that isn't what I am seeing from here. I just did my taxes and the government took about 15% of my household income. That is money I could have really used all year as the economy has put a severe burden on my business.

Last night as I sat with the windows open because we finally got some nice weather I heard the lone air conditioner of my neighbors running...they too had all their windows open. Really easy to figure out who doesn't have to pay for their own electricity.

And before anyone decides we should get a Responsible Person Day or a Middle Age White Male day (as if that would ever really happen) please know I don't want it. Again...Mother's Day an Father's Day are all we need. I really don't require that much validation to get through life, but some basic equality and a level playing field for ALL sure would be nice.

We still don't pay women equally for the work they do that men do as well. We have come a long way but we are not there yet. There is still sexism, raceism homophobes etc. So a little reminder now and then is not a bad thing.
Pat

thopkins22
03-08-13, 20:36
We still don't pay women equally for the work they do that men do as well.

That's not true in medicine, dentistry, engineering, fundraising, or a host of other fields at all.

There may be some fields where that is still the case...but it's more the exception than it is the rule.

Do you believe that forcing employers hands is more likely to fix the problem or entrench it and create a false(or real) sense of inequality?

Jellybean
03-08-13, 20:40

Word. :D

SteyrAUG
03-08-13, 20:42
We still don't pay women equally for the work they do that men do as well. We have come a long way but we are not there yet. There is still sexism, raceism homophobes etc. So a little reminder now and then is not a bad thing.
Pat

If they would truly make EVERYTHING EQUAL I'd be all for paying a woman the same money to do the same job as a man. I don't mind if I don't get a job because somebody is more qualified than I. I don't mind if I don't get a job because somebody had equal/identical qualifications and they simply flipped a coin.

I don't agree with racism, sexism, or an other arbitrary classification either, but I don't think "I" should be punished because it exists. That hardly fixes the problem. And honestly I don't think declaring a "day" does anything productive either. In fact it seems kinda condescending to suggest an "awareness day" addresses problems of inequity.

Ryno12
03-08-13, 21:06
Pat

But we give them a special day, so now we're even!?
:confused:

And honestly I don't think declaring a "day" does anything productive either. In fact it seems kinda condescending to suggest an "awareness day" addresses problems of inequity.

...or month, or TV channel, or college funds or anything else. Everyone screams "Equality, Equality!" Then we go around isolating groups by giving out special days, months, discounts, etc. Kinda counterproductive, isn't it?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 21:19
Pat

Those figures you are indirectly quoting are explained by the gov itself because women take more sick time, maternity leave, and do not stay in the workforce as long due to more women than men opting to become stay at home parents. Usually when kids come into the picture the vast majority of the time its the woman who stays at home if the parents choose to have a stay at home parent. When you look at people who have equal educations, and equal time in a profession the gov report says women are paid 98% of what men are. I've linked to it before, but there a ton of gov reports on pay equality.

Endur
03-08-13, 22:18
I don't agree with that garbage either. It should ultimately come down to the right person for the job, anything else is irrelevant. I also don't believe in any 'day' besides veterans, memorial and independance day. The only other day that gets an exception in my book is my sons birthday and that is it.

Alaskapopo
03-08-13, 22:22
Those figures you are indirectly quoting are explained by the gov itself because women take more sick time, maternity leave, and do not stay in the workforce as long due to more women than men opting to become stay at home parents. Usually when kids come into the picture the vast majority of the time its the woman who stays at home if the parents choose to have a stay at home parent. When you look at people who have equal educations, and equal time in a profession the gov report says women are paid 98% of what men are. I've linked to it before, but there a ton of gov reports on pay equality.

I have seen reports depending on the sourse say its anywhere from 70% to 98% like you quoted. Unless its 100% its not right however.
Pat

Belmont31R
03-08-13, 22:36
I have seen reports depending on the sourse say its anywhere from 70% to 98% like you quoted. Unless its 100% its not right however.
Pat

The 70% numbers include the time women take off work for sick days and maternity leave. The disparity decreases the more you include 'like for like' stats instead of saying women should be paid the same despite them taking more time off work and being less likely to stick a career out.

98% vs 100%. OMG we need federal legislation for that ASAP! Thats such a small number no Federal legislation is going to fix it without worse side effects.

SteyrAUG
03-08-13, 22:46
Kinda counterproductive, isn't it?

Only in about 99.999% of cases.

SteyrAUG
03-08-13, 22:50
I don't agree with that garbage either. It should ultimately come down to the right person for the job, anything else is irrelevant. I also don't believe in any 'day' besides veterans, memorial and independance day. The only other day that gets an exception in my book is my sons birthday and that is it.

Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc. are completely different. They are honoring people of significance and accomplishment rather than simply how you were born.

But I don't have a problem with Mother's Day or Father's Day where your family takes one day out of the year to appreciate you. But that is where I'm drawing my line.

Endur
03-08-13, 22:55
Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc. are completely different. They are honoring people of significance and accomplishment rather than simply how you were born.

But I don't have a problem with Mother's Day or Father's Day where your family takes one day out of the year to appreciate you. But that is where I'm drawing my line.

That is why those are the only days I choose to acknowledge. I don't even "celebrate" my own birthday. I don't care about christmas or easter or any of the stupid days like "international womans day". :lol: I definatly agree with your posts. Like you said 99.99% counterproductive. :lol: