PDA

View Full Version : 6920 Lower parts

rickp
03-08-13, 19:43
hey guys,
Who has good replacement parts for a 6920 lower? I'm looking for the typical replacement parts that are good to have spares of.

Thanks
R.

AKDoug
03-08-13, 19:48
If you want real Colt parts, they can be had at Specialized Armament and Brownells. Which lower parts are you thinking of?

rickp
03-08-13, 20:03
If you want real Colt parts, they can be had at Specialized Armament and Brownells. Which lower parts are you thinking of?

Colt parts are fine unless there's something better, specially for springs.
I guess I'm looking for everything, to be honest I'm not sure what parts I should have as spares. If it's up to me, I'd get one of everything just to play it safe.

To give you an idea, for my upper I have 3 complete LMT BCG and 1 or 2 additional bolts with the extractor. I also have another 2 or 3 additional extractors with the ejector pin and springs, I have plenty of extractor springs with black inserts, and plenty of gas rings.

That;s what I'm looking to do with the lower. At this point I don't have anything, and my OCD (:smile:) is making me uncomfortable about that.

R.

theJanitor
03-08-13, 20:47
Colt parts are fine unless there's something better, specially for springs.
I guess I'm looking for everything, to be honest I'm not sure what parts I should have as spares. If it's up to me, I'd get one of everything just to play it safe.

To give you an idea, for my upper I have 3 complete LMT BCG and 1 or 2 additional bolts with the extractor. I also have another 2 or 3 additional extractors with the ejector pin and springs, I have plenty of extractor springs with black inserts, and plenty of gas rings.

That;s what I'm looking to do with the lower. At this point I don't have anything, and my OCD (:smile:) is making me uncomfortable about that.

R.

Install a Geissele trigger group, and keep the colt parts as spares

rickp
03-08-13, 21:08
that's not a bad idea, thanks. But I would still like to know where can I get either a kit with all parts or just separate parts. At least this will give me somewhere to go should I need a part in the future.

If I have that info now I can order the parts now or know where to go should something s**t the bed.

R

jwperry
03-08-13, 21:50
Specialized Armament has everything Colt, including complete spare LPKs.
If it is on their website, it is instock.
It took them 60 days to ship my order, so if you do order from there, patience is a virtue..

Brownells also has a lower repair kit (everything minus the FCG), but is on near perpetual backorder.

AKDoug
03-08-13, 22:15
Three BCG's? A couple bolts I can understand. A carrier will outlast everything on that rifle.

I'd buy a Geiselle trigger and keep the Colt firing group as the spare (as noted above). Pick up a spare bolt catch, that's about it.

halfmoonclip
03-08-13, 23:12
The suggestion on the Geissele trigger is well taken.

I'm more concerned about bolt parts; a good source for extractor springs, D-ring, and piston rings.

Moon

Aaron_B
03-08-13, 23:31
Just out curiosity, why would you replace the factory trigger with the geisselle? There is nothing wrong with a GI trigger. Could just get a spare mil-spec trigger and call it a day.

nml
03-09-13, 00:38
To give you an idea, for my upper I have 3 complete LMT BCG and 1 or 2 additional bolts with the extractor.Holy shit.

It took them 60 days to ship my order, so if you do order from there, patience is a virtue..I think my order is between 60-90 days.

Iraqgunz
03-09-13, 00:58
Because the Geissele trigger is a much better trigger. If it were me I would probably just opt for an ALG trigger and then keep the Colt stuff as spares.

All the other parts like springs, detents, etc.. can be located at Brownells.

Just out curiosity, why would you replace the factory trigger with the geisselle? There is nothing wrong with a GI trigger. Could just get a spare mil-spec trigger and call it a day.

halfmoonclip
03-09-13, 07:58
As Iraq' noted above, just a better trigger. If you ever shoot one, you'll have a hard time going back to GI. Haven't tried the ALG triggers, but I've heard good things of them. A decent trigger just makes it easier to shoot well.
The SSA is a great choice; clean release without being too light for 'poop your pants' situations.
Moon

rickp
03-09-13, 08:51
It's only by chance that I ended up with 3 BCG. I one of them was the old semy auto only BCG with the bottom back portion open. Then I bought one as a spare and the third one I got from somewhere but can't remember where.
I agree there's no need for 3 of them, its' just one of those things that just happened.

again, thanks for the info buys. Much appreciated.

R.

jonconsiglio
03-09-13, 10:33
You're set on carriers. I can't remember the last time I saw an issue with a Colt or BCM carrier, if ever. Bolts are a wear item that will certainly need replaced.

So, if I have three rifles that I shoot often, I'd be content with one complete lower parts kit on hand along with one bolt carrier group and three spare bolts. Of course a handful of action springs, extractor springs, detent springs as I always loose them, etc.

Nothing wrong with having a few lower parts kits and extra BCG's right now, due to the delay in getting these things, but I really don't think you need another carrier.

Grant at G&R occasionally has Colt lower parts kits. SAW and Brownell's as already mentioned. BCM components are high quality as well, though I use Colt lower parts kits and BCG's in all my rifles.

duece71
03-09-13, 13:01
Specialized Armorment has everything Colt, for a hefty price ($275 for a complete BCG!!). I think if you shop around you can find comparable for a little less, just my opinion.

AKDoug
03-09-13, 14:02
$275 is a good price for an actual Colt BCG. They don't have any right now and last price was $315.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Pappabear
03-09-13, 14:28
To give you an idea, for my upper I have 3 complete LMT BCG and 1 or 2 additional bolts with the extractor. I also have another 2 or 3 additional extractors with the ejector pin and springs, I have plenty of extractor springs with black inserts, and plenty of gas

R.

If my OCD was this crazy. I would Just buy 3 spare guns. Gunbroker search Colt 6920.

White oak sells springs and shit. Brownells is always GTG.

jonconsiglio
03-09-13, 15:02
$275 is a good price for an actual Colt BCG. They don't have any right now and last price was $315.

That's pretty steep. I've bought four or five of them and they've alway been under $200.

AKDoug
03-09-13, 16:12
I haven't found an actual Colt BCG for that price since November. I'd love to know where to find them.

kwilkin
03-09-13, 18:57
I haven't found an actual Colt BCG for that price since November. I'd love to know where to find them.

These are different times. I'm sure when things calm down we'll be able to find them around $200 again.

AKDoug
03-09-13, 21:13
Yep, but it was worth paying an extra $100 each to get my wife and daughter's carbines going.

duece71
03-10-13, 06:57

BCM sold theirs for $150ish back before the uproar, SA still had some of the Colt BCGs for $200+. The cheapest price I saw for a Colt complete BCG was $179 back when they were available on the Colt website. There were a few floating around at that price at various vendors as well.

DasBulk
03-10-13, 07:04

Mine was atrocious. Grit, hitches in the pull stroke and a lump break where a crisp break should be.

I out the ALG ACT in mine. Night and day.