PDA

View Full Version : .45=1911 9mm=???

China boy
03-08-13, 20:40
So, if the 1911 is the .45 gun of choice (not to everyone but for this post you know what I mean) and will be known for the .45 gun for ever and ever. Then what is the equivalent for 9mm???

I'm kind of deciding what to get for my next $500-1000 dollar investment in a gun and want to take my time deciding as I buy a gun to keep basically forever. I could see buying a 1911 but like the idea of cheaper ammo and still want to investigate the 9mm avenue. I already have a glock 23 (.40 S&w) and do not want another glock. Its a great gun so far (500 rounds deep so far) but I want something different to play with than an identical gun in another caliber.

So anyone feel free to let me know what you think?

catatonic
03-08-13, 20:41
With the .45 = 1911 logic, I would venture to say 9mm = Browning Hi Power.

That's just how I look at your question.

ToddGB
03-08-13, 20:44
Beretta M92.

Magic_Salad0892
03-08-13, 20:46
So, if the 1911 is the .45 gun of choice (not to everyone but for this post you know what I mean) and will be known for the .45 gun for ever and ever. Then what is the equivalent for 9mm???

I'm kind of deciding what to get for my next $500-1000 dollar investment in a gun and want to take my time deciding as I buy a gun to keep basically forever. I could see buying a 1911 but like the idea of cheaper ammo and still want to investigate the 9mm avenue. I already have a glock 23 (.40 S&w) and do not want another glock. Its a great gun so far (500 rounds deep so far) but I want something different to play with than an identical gun in another caliber.

Gen4 Glock 19, SIG 226 (my opinion), S&W M&P9, or HK P30.

In my opinion you should re-evaluate what niche these guns fill. What is the realistic needs does this gun fill?

Nater
03-08-13, 21:13
Even though I'm not really a Glock guy (yet) or a 9mm guy (yet), I would have to say that the flagship 9mm handgun is the Glock 17 (or perhaps the 19). I just don't run into enough dedicated shooters who embrace the Hi-Power or the Beretta. I also look at the aftermarket following. While not definitive, the aftermarket is something that both 1911 and Glock have in common, but it seems to be much smaller for the Browning Hi-Power and Beretta. The M&P seems to be close behind Glock in this area, and perhaps you would enjoy exploring in the direction of the M&P.

incognito
03-08-13, 21:24
Beretta 92, Glock 17/19, SIG 226 handguns jump to mind first, however out of that list, only the Glock would be my recommended purchase.

I know you said you don't want a 9mm Glock, because that would just be a "copy" of what you have in .40. But why would that be a bad thing? I have 9mm and .40 H&K P30s, and I am glad I do. Sometimes I get good deals on 9mm ammo, sometimes I get good deals on .40. Time spent training on one directly translates to the other. That is a good thing.

PlatoCATM
03-08-13, 21:29
If you really don't want another Glock (which would make be a rational decision) then a Walther PPQ.

jmnielsen
03-08-13, 21:30
Beretta 92, Glock 17/19, SIG 226 handguns jump to mind first, however out of that list, only the Glock would be my recommended purchase.

I know you said you don't want a 9mm Glock, because that would just be a "copy" of what you have in .40. But why would that be a bad thing? I have 9mm and .40 H&K P30s, and I am glad I do. Sometimes I get good deals on 9mm ammo, sometimes I get good deals on .40. Time spent training on one directly translates to the other. That is a good thing.

I've been thinking of picking up a glock 23 for that exact reason. can't find 9mm ammo around here but 40 is in abundance.

Magic_Salad0892
03-08-13, 21:30
I've been thinking of picking up a glock 23 for that exact reason. can't find 9mm ammo around here but 40 is in abundance.

I've been really thinking about a Gen4 G23 lately.

philcam
03-08-13, 21:31
.45 = 1911
9mm = GLOCK 19

FAB45
03-08-13, 21:33
The glock 17 or 19. The 17 is probably the best modern combat option, the 19 being one of the best CC options.

FAB45
03-08-13, 21:35
I've been really thinking about a Gen4 G23 lately.

Do it! You won't regret it, I've had mine for a year and a half with about 8,000 rounds through it, I love it. Only issue I had was the early gen 4 RSA, but Glock made it right.

COZ ZINZKI
03-08-13, 21:40
Sig P227 is what I'll wait for, & sooner or later , I will get one. Looks like what a P220 was destined to evolve to . Higher cap. in a .45..... Real sweet from Shot Show news.

Nater
03-08-13, 21:45
In my first post I was trying to be objective...

Now I'm going to pile on with a few others and say buy a Glock 17 or 19. I'm not going to lodge any formal or objective complaints against the M&P; I personally like Glock better. And that is coming from a 1911 guy!

Magic_Salad0892
03-08-13, 21:55
Do it! You won't regret it, I've had mine for a year and a half with about 8,000 rounds through it, I love it. Only issue I had was the early gen 4 RSA, but Glock made it right.

Damnit. I shouldn't have bought a 1911. Should've bought a Glock.

COZ ZINZKI
03-08-13, 22:52
Fugheghettabata... 200 buck difference in a high end defensive pistol. Go for the extra advantage. & a pretty attractive gun. High cap SIG . I'll stick to this story, --------- P227

halo2304
03-08-13, 22:57
.45 is to 1911 as 9mm is to Luger P08.

Redstate
03-08-13, 23:07
Why not a 1911 in 9mm?

kLewis
03-08-13, 23:16
45:1911 as 9mm:CZ 75 SA

okie john
03-08-13, 23:56

This is the only true and correct answer.

But a G17 or G19 is close.

Okie John

richiecotite
03-09-13, 00:01
Gotta be the beretta m9/92.

Thanks Riggs

Steve S.
03-09-13, 00:29

So are you trying to buy the most "iconic" 9mm or the best 9mm for your uses?

I don't understand this thread...

Swag
03-09-13, 01:26

Iconic 9mm?...Hi Power. Like the 1911, it's been around the block more than a few times.

Rekkr870
03-09-13, 08:00
Another vote for the PPQ here. It's the same size as a G19 with a more ergonomic grip. The PPQ is more accurate for me as well. All for the same price of a glock or less. No question.

China boy
03-09-13, 09:09
So are you trying to buy the most "iconic" 9mm or the best 9mm for your uses?

I don't understand this thread...

The purpose of the thread was to have a fun conversation. I wanted to hear what everyone would say and I have learned a lot about the guns people mentioned as I look them up along the way. I enjoy learning the history of different gun models and their difference in design.

What will I end up buying and why? Who knows so far. I'm starting to reconsider buying the glock 19 now. I want something that will be a quality gun forever. It doesn't need to be iconic like a 1911 but a timeless gun is more appealing to me.

Big A
03-09-13, 09:41

This is the truest answer. A close second to me is the Walther P38.

Beretta M92.

These two are probably the most commonly know all metal 9mm handguns with the Beretta being the most popular. It was the gun of Martin Riggs, John McClain, the LAPD and U.S. Army. It's the pop culture gun of the 80's and 90's so to me it is "the most iconic".

To me the best 9mm handgun on the market today is the Glock 19. But any 9mm from a quality manufacturer like Sig, S&W, H&K, Walther and so one should serve you well.

You may also want to consider a 9mm conversion barrel for your G23. All the gun shops in my area have been out of Glock 17s & 19s since mid January.

svtpwnz
03-09-13, 10:04
Why not a 1911 in 9mm?

^^^^This! Since you do not want another Glock and like the 1911. I have a Springfield EMP 9mm and enjoy the hell out of it and highly recommend getting one. I have about 2K rounds through it and never had a malfunction. It is a pleasure to shoot, fits well in my hand, and makes a great CC wapon if you insist on a 1911. Every time we go to the range, it goes with me and is the favorite of the bunch when my friends shoot my pistols. Everyone that I have let shoot it falls in love with this little 1911 including my sister. I have sold a good number of pistols (Sigs, Glocks, S&W, Kimbers, etc.) but this is one that will aways stay in my collection forever.

Another great option is an H&K P30 or USP 9mm. Both are fantastic pistols and will serve well for a very long time and hold their value well. I had a S&W M&P 9mm compact and hated the trigger break so I sold it in favor of the Gen4 G19.

Swag
03-09-13, 10:13
I have a Springfield EMP 9mm and enjoy the hell out of it and highly recommend getting one. I have about 2K rounds through it and never had a malfunction. It is a pleasure to shoot, fits well in my hand, and makes a great CC wapon if you insist on a 1911. Every time we go to the range, it goes with me and is the favorite of the bunch when my friends shoot my pistols. Everyone that I have let shoot it falls in love with this little 1911 including my sister. have sold a good number of pistols (Sigs, Glocks, S&W, Kimbers, etc.) but this is one that will aways stay in my collection forever.

They are sweet, aren't they? I've had mine for about 2 years or so and it's ran well. It seemed the earliest ones had some issues but S.A. ironed out the issues quickly and produced a great alternative! I do wish they offered the 9mm in all steel though (I wouldn't mind the extra weight, in fact I would have preferred it).

svtpwnz
03-09-13, 10:19
They are sweet, aren't they? I've had mine for about 2 years or so and it's ran well. It seemed the earliest ones had some issues but S.A. ironed out the issues quickly and produced a great alternative! I do wish they offered the 9mm in all steel though (I wouldn't mind the extra weight, in fact I would have preferred it).

Roger that! An all steel EMP would be a fantastic option and If they made one, I would jump all over it. I did hear that a few earlier models had minor issues but from what I know SA got it straightened out. Fantastic little 1911 no doubt.

Swag
03-09-13, 10:24
True...I have thought about buying the 40 EMP just to use the frame but the 1k it'll cost to do that always brings me back to reality, lol.

svtpwnz
03-09-13, 10:56
True...I have thought about buying the 40 EMP just to use the frame but the 1k it'll cost to do that always brings me back to reality, lol.

I was unaware that the 40S&W version of the EMP had a steel frame. It would have been nice to have it on the 9mm version also. I agree buying the 40 to switch the 9mm frame would be way to cost prohibitive to do. lol

Redstate
03-09-13, 11:00
If that EMP 9mm had a steel frame (like the .40), and had at least a 3.5 inch barrel, I would be all over it.

Grand58742
03-09-13, 12:19
The purpose of the thread was to have a fun conversation. I wanted to hear what everyone would say and I have learned a lot about the guns people mentioned as I look them up along the way. I enjoy learning the history of different gun models and their difference in design.

What will I end up buying and why? Who knows so far. I'm starting to reconsider buying the glock 19 now. I want something that will be a quality gun forever. It doesn't need to be iconic like a 1911 but a timeless gun is more appealing to me.

Problem is there is not one single 9mm pistols that will be "most" iconic as there are a slew of great ones out there that could fit that bill.

Luger P.08 (started it all)
Walter P-38 (made DA mainstream)
Browning Hi Power (one of the most produced and longest lived sidearms)
Beretta Model 92 (as stated, US Army issue, LAPD, numerous countries and police services and "Hollywood" gun)
Glock 17/19 (brought striker fired pistols into mainstream and heading for Hi Power status if not already eclipsed)

Others might include the Sig Sauer P226/P228, Smith and Wesson Model 39/59 and three and four digit S&W series, and maybe even the CZ75 series as it's been copied and the design used over the world. Even some relative newcomers to the field like the H&K USP and S&W M&P could end up being there as well.

But for "most iconic," the first five are your best bet. Problem is, this is more of a personal opinion on everyone's part more than anything. So pick one, buy, shoot, have fun.

China boy
03-09-13, 12:56
Problem is there is not one single 9mm pistols that will be "most" iconic as there are a slew of great ones out there that could fit that bill.

Luger P.08 (started it all)
Walter P-38 (made DA mainstream)
Browning Hi Power (one of the most produced and longest lived sidearms)
Beretta Model 92 (as stated, US Army issue, LAPD, numerous countries and police services and "Hollywood" gun)
Glock 17/19 (brought striker fired pistols into mainstream and heading for Hi Power status if not already eclipsed)

Others might include the Sig Sauer P226/P228, Smith and Wesson Model 39/59 and three and four digit S&W series, and maybe even the CZ75 series as it's been copied and the design used over the world. Even some relative newcomers to the field like the H&K USP and S&W M&P could end up being there as well.

But for "most iconic," the first five are your best bet. Problem is, this is more of a personal opinion on everyone's part more than anything. So pick one, buy, shoot, have fun.

I think you summed up the thread well with what was stated above. The bold especially.

After reading all this I'm now reconsidering toward the glock 19 as it makes sense of the transfer of benefit with same gun different barrel. But also a stainless steel 1911 9mm (of a brand I don't want to mention) is what made me start looking in the first place. So I could see getting a 1911 9mm still in a quality brand. And I agree the Spring Field EMP would be awesome in stainless and a little longer barrel would be ideal.

DWood
03-09-13, 13:06

............. I already have a glock 23 (.40 S&w) and do not want another glock.

Asking for an analogy and then eliminating any Glock as a choice is contradictory.

In my opinion. The Glock 17 is to 9 mm as the 1911 is to 45 acp...... except that I really don't belive the 1911 is the best choice in 45 acp.

dentron
03-09-13, 13:06
If you want timeless then the hi power is the way to go

RSA-OTC
03-09-13, 13:43
GLOCK 19 or 17

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-09-13, 14:07
SIG P250, diamond plate rainbow finish edition.

T2C
03-09-13, 15:07
If you are talking about tradition, a .45 ACP = 1911 and a 9mm = Browning High Power.

MistWolf
03-09-13, 17:53
The P-08 Luger is the sexiest 9mm. But it also proved to be fragile in combat

The Walther P-38 gave the Germans a rugged, reliable self loading pistol.

The Browning is the classic iconic 9mm. Successfully uses a double stack magazine and was used by practically every country in the world. It had none of the DA/SA silliness of the P-38 and is one of the most rugged and reliable selfloading pistols ever made. The Hi-Power was so popular, that it was directly compared to the 1911, the King of combat pistols.

The Glock is by far the most iconic modern service pistol. It's so popular that most people who have shot it, don't know any other. While it's a good, solid design, it's marketing was sheer genius.

The Berretta is popular and well known, but it hasn't achieved the iconic status the other pistols have. Yes, it's what replaced the venerable 1911, but it wasn't necessarily the best choice. Because of the world situation of the time, the selection process left me wondering if the Beretta was chosen to placate the Italian government, who the U.S. was on the outs with. In the end, the Beretta is big, clunky pistol for it's caliber and it's only claim to fame is that it replaced the 1911.

The 1911 45 ACP is the classic iconic automatic pistol that served all over the world for a greater part of a century. It proved effective, durable and reliable. The pistol that represents the same for the 9mm is, without a doubt, the Browning HiPower

jim.bell
03-09-13, 18:54
If you mean "Made the cartridge famous" then a google search will return the answer. If you mean the classic 9mm, the the first response is the obvious answer.

brickboy240
03-09-13, 20:45
If you ask me....these are THE 9mms to own:

FN Hi-Power
CZ-75 (pre B)
SIG P226 (W. German made)
Glock 17/19
Beretta 92

Pick any of these and you have one of the best 9mms.

-brickboy240

citizensoldier16
03-09-13, 20:56
Technically...if 1911 is to .45ACP, then the Luger P08 is to 9mm. However, given modern times and advancements in handgun design and reliability...I'd have to say:

Glock 17, hands down.

Austin_G
03-10-13, 12:12
I think the G17 is the quintessential 9mm.

Vic303
03-10-13, 14:26

+1, he said.

03-10-13, 14:32
Sig P227 is what I'll wait for, & sooner or later , I will get one. Looks like what a P220 was destined to evolve to . Higher cap. in a .45...

With the issues Sig has had recently, there are better options.

ChrisCross
03-10-13, 19:54
To stay true to the .45 = 1911 comparison it would probably have to be a 9mm = Browning Hi Power.

The Glock 17 & 19 would be the closest analogue for a modern weapon... but dammit they don't feel right in my hand.

I do love my M&P 9mm but it is no where near being iconic like the 1911 (or even the Glock). :suicide:

Jdbl14
03-10-13, 20:37
So the 1911 is an expensive, heavy, low capacity pistol that needs to be custom fit in order to be in optimal working order.

I know this definition will likely make me very popular...

Following that definition I'd have to say that the G-17 is nothing close. I'm not sure what is? An old pre WW2 era luger?

I understand the sentimental, and esthetic appeal of 1911s, but I feel as though it's time to move on.

As much as I loathe Glocks, the G-17 is the "standard" that all others must compete with in many ways. I think a discussion of "G-17 is to 9mm as what is to .45" could be much more interesting...

I personally prefer my m&p9 to the glock, and if I were looking for a .45 I would look towards the m&p45 first. The FNP45 and HK45 also offer much more for the money to me than a 1911 ever will.

I really don't mean to be a troll here, and I should probably know better than to say anything negative about the 1911. I hope this post is considered to be in alignment with the intention of this thread, although I fear that I have gone off topic.

To the op, try and get "hands on with as many 9's as you can. One mans awesome g17 is anothers" piece of crap that I can't hit anything with ".

ChrisCross
03-10-13, 21:04
So the 1911 is an expensive, heavy, low capacity pistol that needs to be custom fit in order to be in optimal working order.

I know this definition will likely make me very popular...

Following that definition I'd have to say that the G-17 is nothing close. I'm not sure what is? An old pre WW2 era luger?

I understand the sentimental, and esthetic appeal of 1911s, but I feel as though it's time to move on.

As much as I loathe Glocks, the G-17 is the "standard" that all others must compete with in many ways. I think a discussion of "G-17 is to 9mm as what is to .45" could be much more interesting...

I personally prefer my m&p9 to the glock, and if I were looking for a .45 I would look towards the m&p45 first. The FNP45 and HK45 also offer much more for the money to me than a 1911 ever will.

I really don't mean to be a troll here, and I should probably know better than to say anything negative about the 1911. I hope this post is considered to be in alignment with the intention of this thread, although I fear that I have gone off topic.

To the op, try and get "hands on with as many 9's as you can. One mans awesome g17 is anothers" piece of crap that I can't hit anything with ".

My 1st handgun was a RIA 1911 Tactical. This is about as basic a 1911 as you can get and I am sneered at by almost every other 1911 owner (including my father who has more problems with his Kimbers... but that's a different subject).
I haven't done anything to it (changed the sights) and have over 2K rounds downrange. The only hiccup ever was caused by the crappy ass mag that came with it (it is now fed with Wilson Combat 8 rounders).

1911's work just fine as is, but most people like to "pimp them" as is the current fad (80's, 90's and today all had different mods that were "In").

Still going with the Browning Hi Power as the 9mm analogue to the 1911 in .45.

JC1990
03-10-13, 21:11
My first though was glock 19

Coal Dragger
03-10-13, 22:44
The only answer to this question is the P08 Luger, everyone can pretend otherwise all they want and suggest various later pistols chambered for the round, but it was designed for the Luger and got it's start in that pistol. The round is named after that pistol for crying out loud.

125 mph
03-10-13, 23:44

FN Hi-Power
CZ-75 (pre B)
Glock 17/19
Beretta 92

-brickboy240I'd add an HK P30 to that list.

The only answer to this question is the P08 Luger, everyone can pretend otherwise all they want and suggest various later pistols chambered for the round, but it was designed for the Luger and got it's start in that pistol. The round is named after that pistol for crying out loud.
Agree completely.

piesandcheese
03-11-13, 08:40
I'm putting in another vote for the Beretta 92.
If we are going by military standards, that seems to be the obvious answer.

I'm a bit biased though. I love my 92.

MistWolf
03-11-13, 16:37

You make a very good point. My vote was for the HiPower because it is iconic and durable as the 1911 is. The P-08 turned out to be a bit fragile with it's toggle link system

TomBowie
03-24-13, 15:45
If we're talking about the 1911 as an icon of the .45 caliber round, which is how I read the OP, no doubt the Beretta 92 or Glock 17/19 is the 9mm equivalent, at least in the US.

As far as the Luger being as iconic as the 1911, sorry brother, no way. It may be a contemporary of the 1911, but it doesn't represent 9 millimeters the way the 1911 does the .45.

If you're also looking for a 9mm with that question in mind, there are plenty of possibilities outside the 92/G17 choice. I really like the 92, but there's plenty of history in most of the other answers in this thread. I don't see how you can go wrong with any historic 9mm. The list of the classic 9s a few posts above is what I would eventually like to own.

Henchman
03-24-13, 15:56

FN Hi-Power
CZ-75 (pre B)
Glock 17/19
Beretta 92

-brickboy240

I agree with these choices except the 92. I'm just not a Beretta fan.

Roklok
03-24-13, 20:08

Ditto.

Blayglock
03-24-13, 20:35
Glock 19