PDA

View Full Version : Thinning the herd

drtywk
03-09-13, 02:47
Due to ammo availability, I am thinking about thinning out my AK collection. I've got guns in all three calibers and am definitely going to keep my 5.56 guns. It is my 7.62 and 5.45 guns that I am not sure about. There are a number of manufacturers for 7.62x39, but only one that makes 5.45x39 and the import ammo has all but dried up.

What say ye?

bluejackets92fs
03-09-13, 02:51
It seems like 7.63x39 is still available. At least around me I can still find it. even before all this happened I had a hard time finding 5.45x39. I would say get rid of the 5.45. Plus I'm sure you will make some decent profit off it too.

Iraqgunz
03-09-13, 03:15
I have seen plenty of 5.45x39 ammo.

A 5.56 AK makes no sense to me personally especially since the ammo is alot more expensive compared to 7.62x39 or 5.45. People just have to face the reality that ammo is in short supply and 2013 is going to be a shitty year.

http://www.surplusammo.com/5-45x39mm-7n6-bullet-russian-1080-rounds-in-sealed-spam-can/

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-3461-wolf-military-classic-545x39mm-russian-55-grain-soft-point-ammunition.aspx

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332100307

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332017664

Due to ammo availability, I am thinking about thinning out my AK collection. I've got guns in all three calibers and am definitely going to keep my 5.56 guns. It is my 7.62 and 5.45 guns that I am not sure about. There are a number of manufacturers for 7.62x39, but only one that makes 5.45x39 and the import ammo has all but dried up.

What say ye?

ST911
03-09-13, 09:30
7.62x39 has been one of the more consistently available and enduring calibers in stores. Both import and US commercial. Several Cabelas have had and maintained shelves of their Herters line. Recommend you reach out to them or have someone near one ship to you.

Campbell
03-09-13, 12:56
I would dump the 223...mags and ammo being the reasons.

545 has jumped $20-30/1k, but there was only a month I couldn't put my hands on it. 7n6 is still a bargain in todays market if you like to shoot/ak platform.

eodinert
03-10-13, 03:55
If I sold guns every time supply of a caliber got tight, I wouldn't have any guns at all.

I guess I just think different.

Here's a different approach: Buy when it's available. When you go shooting, buy more, and always bring a little home with you to put in the rainy day stash. Repeat.

Even in these times of need, I do not find myself wishing for ammo.

Grand58742
03-10-13, 04:17
To me, I dropped my AK due more to financial reasons and logistics rather than availability of ammo. Had planned on doing it prior to the great 2012-2013 stampede but caught the tail end of the buying spree and turned a little profit on the rifle.

Overall, it wasn't due to lack of ammo or mags, it was just hard trying to stockpile for three major calibers. So I've dropped to .308 and 5.56.

Your call, just IMO harder to stock up on a variety of calibers and only have a thousand or so rounds of each and worry every time a panic is on rather than being comfortably set with a few calibers and not worrying as much when times are tight. And the economics of buying a bunch of different calibers means more money spent on ammo, parts, mags, etc, so on and so forth. Just more economically viable to stock up on one or two calibers and systems (like AR10 and AR15 since there are some parts in common) rather than a half a dozen I was trying to do.

YMMV though.

drtywk
03-10-13, 10:17
These are my thoughts exactly. I have a good supply of ammo for all three calibers, however, with the supply of 5.45 limited to one domestic manufacturer, does it make sense to continue to try and support that caliber in the future. My usual source for 5.45 is sold out, but has a significant amount of stock inbound and my plan is to buy several thousand more rounds, but what does the future hold for imported ammo? And is it worth it to continue to feed three different AK calibers, plus my AR's, 7.62 NATO, 9mm and .45 guns?

Thoughts?

To me, I dropped my AK due more to financial reasons and logistics rather than availability of ammo. Had planned on doing it prior to the great 2012-2013 stampede but caught the tail end of the buying spree and turned a little profit on the rifle.

Overall, it wasn't due to lack of ammo or mags, it was just hard trying to stockpile for three major calibers. So I've dropped to .308 and 5.56.

Your call, just IMO harder to stock up on a variety of calibers and only have a thousand or so rounds of each and worry every time a panic is on rather than being comfortably set with a few calibers and not worrying as much when times are tight. And the economics of buying a bunch of different calibers means more money spent on ammo, parts, mags, etc, so on and so forth. Just more economically viable to stock up on one or two calibers and systems (like AR10 and AR15 since there are some parts in common) rather than a half a dozen I was trying to do.

YMMV though.

Grand58742
03-10-13, 17:00
These are my thoughts exactly. I have a good supply of ammo for all three calibers, however, with the supply of 5.45 limited to one domestic manufacturer, does it make sense to continue to try and support that caliber in the future. My usual source for 5.45 is sold out, but has a significant amount of stock inbound and my plan is to buy several thousand more rounds, but what does the future hold for imported ammo? And is it worth it to continue to feed three different AK calibers, plus my AR's, 7.62 NATO, 9mm and .45 guns?

Thoughts?

How about...

If you can afford to feed 30 different calibers without breaking your bank, by all means, feed 30 different calibers. For most of us though (those that don't reload) we tend to settle for less. I've consolidated down to .22, 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56 and .308 and plan to start reloading on those when the full retard buying spree dies down. I do have a few off calibers I have a decent amount of ammo for, but I don't stock up mad quantities of those. I just couldn't afford to keep trying for my goal of 10K rounds for every rifle and pistol I owned so I made some hard choices, thinned the herd as you said and settled for that number on a limited amount of systems. And consolidated down the types of handguns/rifles I owned to stop buying so many different types of mags and accessories. There are a few exceptions, family heirlooms and such, but for the most part I've gotten rid of the excess fat and find it far easier to buy for two rifle and two pistol calibers rather than six and seven respectively.

Having said that, AKs are the exception rather than the rule on this since steel case and surplus ammo (typically) runs about the same or less than you can reload it for. But still, cash out of my pocket that I could be using towards my main calibers I want to stock up on. So while tempting to keep an AK around since ammo is relatively cheap in the good times, it would distract from looking for and purchasing 5.56 and .308. So my AK days are over.

Plus, the proficiency factor. While an AK is a damn fine rifle, I really had no need for it except for "because I can" and for everything it did, the AR tends to do just as well or better. So I made the move entirely to the AR platform (including AR10s) since it was the weapon I had the most proficiency on already. I know enough about AKs from having owned one for a long time to pick one up, load, fire, clear malfunctions, reload and engage targets. However, I'd prefer to be highly comfortable on one or two systems (ARs) and familiar but not necessarily proficient with others (AKs) rather than trying to be great with everything.

It's all on what you can afford and what you want to do. This isn't inclusive and might not be the best for you if you already own all the weapons. I owned a bunch of different ones, but for me? Finances, logistics and proficiency meant going down to a couple of calibers instead of trying to grab everything I could under the sun.

125 mph
03-10-13, 18:04
I wouldn't make any decisions based on ammo availability this year. 9mm ammo is nonexistent where I am, but I have no intention of selling my P226. I bought it for a reason, that reason still stands. This is just a shitty, temporary situation.

If it were me, I would at least keep the 7.62x39 and 5.45 AKs and magazines. I personally have no interest in a 5.56 AK. I much prefer an AR in that caliber. Really though, if you like shooting all those guns and don't need the money, keep them. I think you'll regret selling them later when things settle down.

twistedcomrade
03-10-13, 18:54
I will never be without an AK in 7.62x39. I tried AKs in 5.56 and they didn't blow my hair back. I will stay with my ARs in that caliber. I would keep yoour AKs in 7.62x39 and in 5,45 if I were you.

AK-47
03-11-13, 19:37
Don't get rid of the AK's in 5.45 or 7.62 calibers. As others have stated, drop the 5.56 AK's first. I am still finding plenty of 7.62 and 5.45 ammo available. Where are you looking?

An AK in 7.62, plane and simple, should be in every collection.

Lack of ammo is not justification..

I just bought two FAL's despite 7.62x51 prices. Although I did find 1000 round of M80 ball ammo FMJBT for $699 recently...

ryr8828
03-12-13, 07:42
If I was going to dump my ak it would be because it never gets shot, not because of a lack of ammo. I haven't had much of a problem finding 5.45 or 7.62x39.
I shoot my 5.45 through my spikes or SW ar, my ak is 7.62x39. The ak sits in the safe because in my opinion the ar platform is superior and easier to shoot and make hits with.

Doc. Holiday
03-12-13, 09:57
I have seen plenty of 5.45x39 ammo.

A 5.56 AK makes no sense to me personally especially since the ammo is alot more expensive compared to 7.62x39 or 5.45. People just have to face the reality that ammo is in short supply and 2013 is going to be a shitty year.

http://www.surplusammo.com/5-45x39mm-7n6-bullet-russian-1080-rounds-in-sealed-spam-can/

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-3461-wolf-military-classic-545x39mm-russian-55-grain-soft-point-ammunition.aspx

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332100307

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332017664

Exactly

Moose-Knuckle
03-12-13, 21:43
Keep the 7.62 guns if nothing else.

Dunderway
03-13-13, 01:10
It's a tough call. I would weigh it on what mags/ammo you have, and how much you shoot them.

I still consider not having a boatload of 5.45 the single biggest blunder of my gun buying career. I didn't even have a AK74, but still pondered spending an entire paycheck on 5.45 when it could be had for $130/1080. We all knew that couldn't last. The cost of a new Arsenal 74 seems pretty negligible now if I had 20K rds. in storage. Oh well.

Dunderway
03-13-13, 01:17
How about...

If you can afford to feed 30 different calibers without breaking your bank, by all means, feed 30 different calibers. .

Are people really shooting thousands of rounds through that many different calibers of weapons? I have a fairly diverse collection, but all I really care about "feeding" on a regular basis is 9mm, 5.56, and .22LR. The rest just sits with a good stock of ammo for occasional plinking or to eventually be handed down to a family member.

Keith E.
03-13-13, 14:50
I have a good supply of ammo for all three calibers, however, with the supply of 5.45 limited to one domestic manufacturer, does it make sense to continue to try and support that caliber in the future.

You could:

1. Move it while folks are still buying, sit on the cash while waiting for the rush to subside (hopefully), then buy afterwards.

2. Trade for more of something that you already have.

3. Keep it and don't run it right now if you're worried about resupply, while you wait for things to calm down.

Good Luck, Keith

sadmin
03-13-13, 15:15
Are people really shooting thousands of rounds through that many different calibers of weapons? I have a fairly diverse collection, but all I really care about "feeding" on a regular basis is 9mm, 5.56, and .22LR. The rest just sits with a good stock of ammo for occasional plinking or to eventually be handed down to a family member.

I sort of went the other way, I had 4 ARs before the fall; I have sold all but 1. I have a good supply of 5.56 but I just cant afford to replace it at the current price. Its actually cheaper for me to shoot 5.45 than .22 currently if that makes any sense. AK74 is the new 10/22, sorry squirrels. I purchased a 5.45 S&W upper and a AA 5.45 upper and 2 ak74s; along with 12k rounds of 5.45. It was some heavy spending but im all set for the rest of 2013 and hopefully by the time I begin to run low on 7N6, the 5.56 will drop in price per round. It seems member Lebowski was way ahead of the curve on prep for this. Oh, and a huge shipment of 7N6 will be here any day. Bite the bullet and buy a large load and then recoup your expenses...I dont see the import of that round stopping, I do foresee a possible tax on it though.

TMS951
03-13-13, 15:22
I don't know if I would sell any guns.

I have a WASR 10 AK with a box of 500rnds

a MK23 with 1250 rnds.

.357 sig Glock with 1250 rnds.

an H&K HK4 with ~200 rnds of 380acp

and 2 PTR-91s with 360 rnds between them

I dont shoot them much if ever, I do have ammo for them. I shoot the MK23 some so have some ammo for it, and shoot and carry the Glock sometimes so I have some more ammo for it.

Haven't shot those three rifles in years, but I have some ammo for them if I want to. They also have enough ammo to each have a load out.

I don't really shoot or carry the HK4 but I have some FMJs and some HP for it.

I would never sell any of them, nor do I need to buy any ammo for them.

My go to guns are 5.56 ARs and 9mm glocks. Those are the ones I am concerned about ammo for, luckily I have plenty now. But these are the ones that it matters, those others are fun to own but serve no purpose. Serving no purpose is no reason to sell a gun, especially if it is unknown if you will able to replace it.

jamesbern
03-13-13, 20:51
If you must sell i'd sell the rifles that you have the least amount of ammo for.

Then either sell the ammo separately or trade for ammo you could use.

SmokinGunMP5
03-17-13, 13:37
WTB Arsenal Saiga SGL31-94 NIB - 1300.00

It annoys the heck out of me each time I stumble upon an AK hoping it might be a 74 and ends up being 5.56mm Ak.

Who buys 5.56mm AKs?!:confused:

Deucer01
03-20-13, 19:42
I have a Tactical Solutions AR22 and a GSG 1911. I will be shooting these 99.9% of the time from now on. My 5.56, .308, 9mm stash will be used on "special" occassions only. ;)

Vec
03-20-13, 20:10
I will never be without an AK in 7.62x39.

ditto

Doc. Holiday
03-21-13, 09:28
I have a Tactical Solutions AR22 and a GSG 1911. I will be shooting these 99.9% of the time from now on. My 5.56, .308, 9mm stash will be used on "special" occassions only. ;)

I'm afraid my future just might be like this.... :(

drtywk
03-23-13, 19:29
Thanks for the replies. Even though I have plenty of ammo for them, I just don't shoot them as much as my AR's and my other AK's, so I have decided to sell my three 5.56 guns.

BWT
03-25-13, 09:22
I'd buy a 5.56 AK before a 5.45, just my $.02. I own a 7.62x39, but I own 2 ARs, so, I'd rather just keep .223 on hand.