PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma. Using up my TAC vs. trying out AR Comp

30 cal slut
03-09-13, 08:08
Powder dilemma for the lazy reloader.

I have a few lbs of TAC I'd like to finish off for 55 gr .223 loads. I already have my load tested and set up - it's just a matter of cranking them out on the press, which is already set up for this load.

I also have 24 lbs :lol: of AR Comp waiting to be used. I haven't tinkered with this powder yet, so I'd need to do a load workup and test it before cranking it out in volume. This will take up an entire weekend due to the prep time and time spent driving to the range.

So I have a dilemma. Do I use up my TAC on 55 gr loads? Do I try something new with a more plentiful powder?

I'm only wondering about this out loud because it seems TAC is a pretty darn good powder to use on heavier than 55 gr bullets (62, 70 77 gr which are in inventory), where AR comp might be a better choice.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

-slut

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-09-13, 08:15
At what range do you shoot these loads at? Only reason I ask, is in general I don't do a traditional load work up for range fodder. If its inside 200m I pick the charge weight that will stretch my powders stock to the fullest extent. Accuracy in general has been better than anything I get at the store, even with bulk IMI bullets.

JStor
03-09-13, 08:49
You already know your TAC load, so I'd spend a bit of time working with the alternate powder. It may take more than one weekend at the range.

30 cal slut
03-09-13, 09:52
At what range do you shoot these loads at? Only reason I ask, is in general I don't do a traditional load work up for range fodder. If its inside 200m I pick the charge weight that will stretch my powders stock to the fullest extent. Accuracy in general has been better than anything I get at the store, even with bulk IMI bullets.

100 and in. That's all I have access to.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-09-13, 09:59
100 and in. That's all I have access to.

Well personally I consider that range fodder, use as little powder as your manual recommends and shoot.

shootist~
03-09-13, 11:36
If you have bullets and brass, finish off the proven TAC load and load your first smallish test batch with the new powder.

Or if you plan to try 77 grain loads at some point, a little TAC on hand could be a good thing.

Or, or, ...;)

30 cal slut
03-09-13, 18:43
If you have bullets and brass, finish off the proven TAC load and load your first smallish test batch with the new powder.

Or if you plan to try 77 grain loads at some point, a little TAC on hand could be a good thing.

Or, or, ...;)

yeah. :suicide2:

AKDoug
03-09-13, 23:36
At what range do you shoot these loads at? Only reason I ask, is in general I don't do a traditional load work up for range fodder. If its inside 200m I pick the charge weight that will stretch my powders stock to the fullest extent. Accuracy in general has been better than anything I get at the store, even with bulk IMI bullets. My son and I loaded up 6 different powders using 55gr bullets to find out if anything was unacceptably accurate and still functioned in all our AR's. All were in the 2" and less range at 100 yards out of our scoped 16" AR. The winner in our case was Reloader 10X using only 22grns for a load. Most economical choice for us using cheap 55grn bullets, accurate enough, and functions through our rifles.

markm
03-11-13, 09:01
Well personally I consider that range fodder, use as little powder as your manual recommends and shoot.

I used to do this. But my zero was different for practice and real ammo. Drove me nuts, so I just load practice ammo near max.

Boxerglocker
03-11-13, 14:55
As much as I love the M4C 24.5 TAC load. I switched awazy from it to save the TAC for my 69g and higher loads. I use WC844 for 55 fmj right now.

jstone
03-13-13, 07:01
I would burn the tac up on the 55's and save the AR comp for other loads. It is a much better powder for heavier bullets.

markm
03-13-13, 08:14
I would burn the tac up on the 55's

That's what I use my remaining TAC for.

30 cal slut
03-13-13, 19:47
alrighty then. thanks for the moral support.

TAC gets burned up first. lol.

markm
03-14-13, 08:40
Do mag dumps and you'll get through it faster! :lol: