PDA

View Full Version : Lapula Brass

m1a_scoutguy
03-09-13, 09:49
Hey guys,,I have a chance to buy a box of 100 New 223 Lapula Brass. I have a metric ton of normal 223 brass,,all types all kinds,,so with that said is this brass worth the "extra" coin ??? I can get the box for $45 buck,,so decent deal. I just bought a New SPS TAC Remy in 223 & will be reloading it for it soon !! Just figured I would ask,,Thanks for any info !! Here is the brass @ Midway,,,$60 bucks,,plus shipping !! :eek:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/684506/lapua-reloading-brass-223-remington-box-of-100

clicker
03-09-13, 16:25
I use Lapua brass exclusively in my bolt gun but I do so for (perceived) accuracy. I dont know if I would drop the extra 45 bucks if I had a "metric ton" of other brass for an AR. Lapua brass is generally a bit thicker in the case wall and uniformity so less brass prep is needed when reloading it. I wouldn't personally spend a premium for brass unless you are loading it for a tack driver or using it for defense. After all, 45 bucks might get you about 800 primers these days :suicide2:

m1a_scoutguy
03-09-13, 19:36
Ah,,good info,,Thanks ! Yea I hear ya on the extra $$$ for a 100 rds of Brass,,I guess maybe if I was a Benchrest shooter & needed to get everything I can out of every component then yea I guess it mite be worth it !! When it comes to my Bolt guns,,I sort through a bunch of brass,,get all the same head stamp and give it the "treatment",,flash hole,,trim,,primer pocket uniform,,etc,,I have never done any neck turning,,never figured I needed to,,,but maybe something I will try someday !! I know there are some good long range guys on here,,so I figured I would ask,,,like the link from Midway shows,,,,that stuff is $60 bucks plus shipping for 100 rds,,:eek: but hey,,it does come in its own nice little box,,,,:rolleyes: I agree,,,the $45 bucks could be spent in better places,,,that is if ya could find something decent to spend it on,,LOL !! As far as primers,,I have just a little "less" than a metric ton of rifle primers,,;),LOL,,but I know what ya mean. Thanks for sharing your thoughts !! :) I appreciate it.

Bret
03-09-13, 21:05
Lapua brass is great. Still, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for 100 pieces of brass.

0reo
03-10-13, 00:42
Lapua brass makes the most sense for bench-rest shooting. The brass is very consistent of course which makes for good groups but the brass also lasts longer which really pays dividends in time saved from having to do extensive brass prep on new cases. Lapua brass still needs to be fully prepped but there are a number of steps that only new brass requires so getting more firings from a case is a good thing.

Ttwwaack
03-10-13, 09:59
I just started using this brass for my PSS in 223. Nice stuff.

The only thing I did was put a VLD chamfer on it before I loaded it. Nice thick necks, I'm either at .239 or. 241 loaded. Haven't had my coffee yet. Case weight was consistant enough that I didn't sort the 200 I bought after I ran 20 across the scale.

Other reason is it is easier to keep segregated from my other brass. That high society democratic brass doesn't like to play with the sheepole brass. For the extra 20 for uniformity it beats a couple of houra preping and sorting brass. I enjoy reloading but like shooting better.

Rain is coming Tuesday so I need to shoot today. I 'm outta here

Correct and Add: With a bullet seated the case necks are running .250. Cases outta the box from the factory are running .247. After first firing neck sizing with a .248. I might try a .249 later after I find my load and do some OAL testing. Right now I'm just keeping it fixed @ .010 off the lands.

Fired case necks coming out @ .254-55.

JStor
03-10-13, 14:29
I use Lapua .223 brass in my Winchester 70 varmint bolt gun. The lot I have is thicker in the neck, so if you are using conventional dies, the brass gets sized down too much in the neck, giving excessive neck tension. It still shoots, but that route isn't the best road to accuracy.

A normal full sizing RCBS die gives a .245 inch neck on run of the mill brass, but for the bolt gun I use Redding bushing dies. First they go through the .250 inch bushing for initial neck sizing and decapping, and then I run them through a finisher bushing for the final sizing. Currently, I have a .247 inch, but I really need/want a .248 inch when I get around to it. Redding advises to size no more than .005 inch at one pass to maintain concentricity, but I have not tested this.

Lapua brass is premium...no flash hole deburring etc. necessary as others have noted.

fz1boxer
03-10-13, 15:11
i would buy it all day long at$45/100
there was guy in south ga selling some 69grn lapua ammo 700 rounds 500 dollars,stinks i was at work when he posted it and sold it local.
i bought some cor bon 77 grn awhile back and it was loaded with lapua brass

rundm
03-10-13, 16:15
If it is only 45 dollars/hundred, that is only or was only 5 dollars more than winnie brass. You should buy as much as you can because it is hard to find the winnie brass at that price right now. It is better brass and does not really need any prep. If it were the reg price of 69.00 hundred or so, I would say it is not worth the extra coin. You can anneal the mil or win brass and it will last a long time. The mil brass is already annealed anyways. For accuracy purposes, you won't be able to tell the diff unless your gun is very accurate.

m1a_scoutguy
03-10-13, 18:40
Thanks guys,,,this is more info than I had hoped for,,,appreciate it very much !!!! It sounds like in the long run it could be worth the price,,,I only have 1 223 Bolt Gun,,so it won't get mixed up with other stuff. I shot my New SPS TAC today and it shot very good,,but lots of deviation in groups,,,all good,,but the brass I was using was my AR brass,,,just sized to run in my M4s,,,nothing special done to it,,I think I will get better results once I hit it up with some TLC,,,along with some sorting and such !!! I think I will grab the brass this week if its still up there,,,but I can't see it going anywhere,,everyone in my area is still freaking out about guns and ammo along with reloading stuff,,,but "normal" stuff,,not brass for almost $50 bucks,,LOL !!! Thanks again guys !!! :)

Boxerglocker
03-10-13, 23:14
All I use in my Remington 700 SPS TAC is Lapua match brass. I have 300 pieces and it will go 4-5 firings before I will need to anneal it and FL size and trim again. I neck size only with Lee collet die after the first form firing. My 69smk /Varget loads with Lapua brass will do MOA at 600 yards.

Pappabear
03-11-13, 00:03
I bought a 100 rounds of Lapua 223 brass. Its good but isnt critical like 308 brass. If you have tons of 223 brass, sort it by brand and you should be fine. But to ensure accuracy and to build a load, or a load to hunt with, why not.

I would make sure it has not been reloaded already. :fie:

markm
03-11-13, 08:53
Yeah... we didn't see any appreciable difference in .223. The Lapua sits on a shelf just so it doesn't get mixed into the practice squad brass.

m1a_scoutguy
03-11-13, 10:23
All I use in my Remington 700 SPS TAC is Lapua match brass. I have 300 pieces and it will go 4-5 firings before I will need to anneal it and FL size and trim again. I neck size only with Lee collet die after the first form firing. My 69smk /Varget loads with Lapua brass will do MOA at 600 yards.

I bought a 100 rounds of Lapua 223 brass. Its good but isnt critical like 308 brass. If you have tons of 223 brass, sort it by brand and you should be fine. But to ensure accuracy and to build a load, or a load to hunt with, why not.

I would make sure it has not been reloaded already. :fie:

That's good news on the SPS TAC,,:D:D Looks like I have something to look forward to !!! I lucked out,,I hit Powder Valley last week when they had Sierra stuff in stock,,,I have 500 69 grn SMK coming later this month. On markm"s advice I bought a Redding body die & the Lee Collet die in 308 from Midway,,but no 223 stuff,,:(,I will keep scouring the Interweb for some in stock someplace for my 223 !!!
Good info Pappabear,,,like I said I think I will go grab it later this week,,,I did look at it,,it is NIB,,so no worries there. Looks like I will start sorting and weighing through my stash of 223 just so I will have plenty to work with before I get the "good" stuff !! My Midway order should show this week,,,so I'll get to work on my 308 stuff,,,no Lapua 308 Brass,,but I have some New never fired LC/LR Brass I acquired years ago,,,so looks like I'll dig that out for my 5R !! Thanks again guys !!! :smile:

T2C
03-11-13, 10:27
Some of the benchrest shooters at my local gun club like to use Winchester .223 brass.

Colt guy
03-11-13, 22:03
Many shooters have found Lapua brass to be considerably superior in quality to most other brass available. The Lapua 220 Russian is used exclusively by competitive benchrest shooters to make 22 and 6mm PPC cases. The 6 BR Lapua brass is considered by many BR shooters to be the best brass available.

I purchased 100 new 223 Lupua brass and tested

and

could not see any better groups :sad: In my 223

doomanis
03-12-13, 22:43
...And if you don't I, as I am sure many others, would love the link for that deal!

m1a_scoutguy
03-13-13, 10:47
...And if you don't I, as I am sure many others, would love the link for that deal!

Ah,,,I hear ya,,,sorry,,no Link,,,,just a Looooong drive for you,,,LOL !!! Its at a Local Gun Shop that I visit !!! Way to often I mite add,,,,LOL !!!