PDA

View Full Version : Why not 2 Tritium dots in front sight on a CCW?

Swag
03-09-13, 10:06
Searched but didn't see anything about this and if posted in the wrong place, I apologize...

Anyone ever desire more glow? Seems to me that a slightly taller front blade accommodating 2 stacked Tritium lamps in lieu of only one would be a winner in regards to CCW.

jmnielsen
03-09-13, 10:21
I guess I'm confused on why you would want two dots on the front sight..?

Swag
03-09-13, 10:26
More glow. If I could, I'd put a freakin LED with battery on the front sight!

shutup&shoot
03-09-13, 11:06
I find the current sights work just fine.

Smash
03-09-13, 11:06
More glow. If I could, I'd put a freakin LED with battery on the front sight!

Most try not to illuminate their vital face area to the enemy during night shooting.

Swag
03-09-13, 11:11
It was play...

steyrman13
03-09-13, 11:14
You might find the jokes are better at TOS. This forum is for actual helpful information

RIDE
03-09-13, 11:15
How would you aim with 2 dots up front?

This is dumb.

You might find the jokes are better at TOS. This forum is for actual helpful information

It was obviously a joke only after Smash revealed the absolute folly of the idea/desire.

Swag
03-09-13, 11:17
But seriously, low light conditions (bedroom, hallway, driveway, etc)...I'd rather not "hunt" for the front sight. Why can't it "pop"? Forget lasers because I do not like them. I do like the weapon mounted light but that may not be appropriate at times.

Swag
03-09-13, 11:18
How would you aim with 2 dots up front?

This is dumb.

It was obviously a joke only after Smash revealed the absolute folly of the idea/desire.

Wrong

Swag
03-09-13, 11:20

And submitting an idea is perfectly within the boundaries of "helpful".

RIDE
03-09-13, 11:20
But seriously, low light conditions (bedroom, hallway, driveway, etc)...I'd rather not "hunt" for the front sight. Why can't it "pop"? Forget lasers because I do not like them. I do like the weapon mounted light but that may not be appropriate at times.

When a time comes that a weapon light is not appropriate to use.. Don't turn on said weapon light.

Maybe your using a hard wired weapon "lamp"? :lol:

Swag
03-09-13, 11:25
The idea is premised on "combat effective" in close quarters. Rough Point Of Aim. You want surgical precision? Try asking an assailant to stand in place and wait for you. Personally, I've never been in such a situation but that doesn't preclude me to think or train for such a situation.

Swag
03-09-13, 11:26
"When a time comes that a weapon light is not appropriate to use.. Don't turn on said weapon light. "

Agreed

steyrman13
03-09-13, 11:28
I'm pretty sure the part "it was play" referring to the joke you made. If you want a more glow why not get a slide setup for rmr?

Swag
03-09-13, 11:33
I'm pretty sure the part "it was play" referring to the joke you made. If you want a more glow why not get a slide setup for rmr?

I just don't trust it yet. I believe that steel sights have the most potential yet. Concealeability with less worries of Murphy's Law.

misanthropist
03-09-13, 11:34
Not that I particularly like the idea but this wouldn't necessarily cause aiming problems...if you used an all-black rear, with a notch deep enough to see the whole front sight through, this could conceivably work.

Whether it would lead to any measurable improvement in performance I'm more skeptical. I find that the bright orange fronts with a tritium vial are easy to pick up as I press out, and good fundamentals seem to ensure that I'm rarely "hunting" for my front sight.

I would guess this applies more to people without enough repetitions in to make locating the front sight an automatic event.

steyrman13
03-09-13, 12:46
I guess you could go with ameriglo or something similar and hit it with a burst of light from your surefire before engaging or entering a room

Magsz
03-09-13, 12:54
Instead of going for two dots, why not petition for a larger tritium vial? I am not sure if this is possible due to radiation concerns etc etc but a query to the manufacturer might prove beneficial?

Magsz
03-09-13, 12:59
I guess you could go with ameriglo or something similar and hit it with a burst of light from your surefire before engaging or entering a room

Yeah...no...

Seriously guys, come on...

ChuckTait
03-09-13, 13:13
Yup, larger trinium capsul would make the dot glow larger... or put RDS on your handgun. Battery powered LED dot will pop right into view as soon as it comes into your view. (view, view... that sounds a little awkward)

So RDS costs more. Which is more important, your life and the lives of your loved ones or measly few bucks :D

Wake27
03-09-13, 13:18
OP - what sights are you currently using and how old are they?

Swag
03-09-13, 13:33
Sorry...Was spending time with the nephew. Right now I'm just on factory 3-dot tritium sights (all Trijicon branded). The Heinie Straight Eights are the only aftermarkets I'd like to try (that's not set in stone but I'm pretty firm).

My oldest set is approx 3 years old. They're greens so there is still a bit of useful life left.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-09-13, 13:43

Sounds like a great idea! :suicide2:

Swag
03-09-13, 13:56
I'm just trying to look at this from the "defender's" standpoint. The guy that is out and about with his family or friends. The guy that is at home with his loved ones. I believe our situation much different than say trained LEO or military personnel involved in extremely dynamic environments. We are in much more static environments that are only every so often interrupted by unforeseen elements that require retaliatory reaction. It's for those rare events that we need equipment that have "long shelf" lives, do not require a battery change every other week, and enable fast acquisition.

Failure2Stop
03-09-13, 14:20
I haven't had an issue with not being able to rapidly find my front dot, but I only use good sights.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Swag
03-09-13, 14:23
No arguing a fact. Just thinking aloud is all. It may be a valid concept though. Never know till a proof of concept is seen.

TriviaMonster
03-09-13, 15:07
I use the Redback 1 Glock sights which actually use a 0.06" tritium insert for the front sight. Its a hair smaller than most lamps and its mounted near the top instead of the middle. Its plenty bright and it makes me wonder if the placement isn't a bit better than the usual suspects.

I'm not sure that 2 lamps would be faster but I think they could be distracting actually. I think having one key focal point is superior for a front sight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

steyrman13
03-09-13, 15:25
Sounds like a great idea! :suicide2:

I was just throwing out an idea that seemed to fit his goofy criteria.

The tritium life for me is plenty bright even after even 10 years.

steyrman13
03-09-13, 15:33
Also, adding another tritium dot will not "double" the brightness only increase surface area and also add to confusion as stated above.
The only way to make brighter would be a photoluminescent outline like on trijicon HD or ameriglo I believe

Swag
03-09-13, 15:35
Also, adding another tritium dot will not "double" the brightness only increase surface area and also add to confusion as stated above.
The only way to make brighter would be a photoluminescent outline like on trijicon HD or ameriglo I believe

Say huh?

steyrman13
03-09-13, 15:42
Say huh?

Putting two lights with 120 lumens each side by side does not make 240 lumens, only increases the surface area viewed.
To make a brighter sight it would have to be a photoluminescent material which is "charged" by al light source; like a glow in the dark item. There may be a brighter radioactive material for use in sights, but it is prob either too expensive, too hazardous/regulated or some other reason which is why it isn't being used. Check out the trijicon HD and see if that works for you, if not the rmr is prob your only option for a Brighter sight

Swag
03-09-13, 15:51
"Putting two lights with 120 lumens each side by side does not make 240 lumens, only increases the surface area viewed"

Now apply that process of thought towards 2 Trits versus just 1 contained within the working end of the front sight! And concerning the amounts of Tritium used, rears have been equipped with 2 lamps for a long, long time. The amounts involved are relative.

But, this is just a case of why fix what isn't broken, correct? Or could be a progession. Working concepts are necessary to prove or disprove.

sammage
03-09-13, 15:58
Now apply that process of thought towards 2 Trits versus just 1 contained within the working end of the front sight! And concerning the amounts of Tritium used, rears have been equipped with 2 lamps for a long, long time. The amounts involved are relative.

But, this is just a case of why fix what isn't broken, correct? Or could be a progession. Working concepts are necessary to prove or disprove.

Actually a lot of modern sights have only one or no rear lamps. Out of curiosity, how many low light classes and shooting have you done?

Swag
03-09-13, 15:59
I have no formal training.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-09-13, 16:12
I have no formal training.

You should consider it then. It would likely quell such questions as to how many tritium vials can be mounted on a front sight before your hair begins to fall out and renders you unable to conceive children.

Swag
03-09-13, 16:20
You should consider it then. It would likely quell such questions as to how many tritium vials can be mounted on a front sight before your hair begins to fall out and renders you unable to conceive children.

Unless you are eating it or snorting it, with the quantities involved we are quite safe from it.

FAB45
03-09-13, 16:20

THIS. If you have weak vision or are concerned with finding that bright tritium dot in low light conditions, try out the Ameriglo CAP in green/yellow. They have a large tritium dot with the photo luminescent paint outlining the tritium making it look like a rather large dot.

Swag
03-09-13, 16:26
Those are nice. But still, the idea of stacked lamps intrigues me. Placing 2 lamps into a single pill/module, then installing that pill into the front sight.

DBZ220
03-09-13, 16:45
I've done my share of clearing buildings, houses, etc. I actually went back to stock sights after a few years. My eyes and SIG factory two dot sights just click. I also found no problem finding my front sight, and I prefer a weaponlight over night sights in general.
Now, another guy I train with prefers BigDots over anything else, likely due to his eyes. Maybe look at those?
Adding more dots in the front sight is just asking for trouble/confusion in my opinion.

naloxone
03-09-13, 16:50
The illumination put off by a tritium lamp is pretty insignificant. Two lamps together only slightly less so.

If you can't see 1 lamp, 2 isn't going to help.

Swag
03-09-13, 17:00
Those are fair enough opinions and suggestions. Even the criticisms are welcomed. But a larger lamp is still a larger lamp.

ChuckTait
03-09-13, 18:28
Those are fair enough opinions and suggestions. Even the criticisms are welcomed. But a larger lamp is still a larger lamp.

So basically you are looking for a large surface area dot that illuminates, not necessarily brighter? If so try looking at something like Truglo TFO. It doesn't have a brighter dot, but the fiber-optic dot is bigger than straight trinium dot.

naloxone
03-09-13, 19:17
I saw you posted earlier that you have not trained in low light. Simple solution to your dilemma; Invest the money and brainpower in a low light class, and then reassess your needs when you have some experience to base your ideas on.

QuickStrike
03-09-13, 22:46
Learn to start your press out with the muzzle of the pistol tilted up. Makes finding the front sight easier.

Devildawg2531
03-09-13, 22:50

Regardng not "liking" lasers - they certainly have benefit in some applications particular with your concern with seeing the front sight.. Go to a night pistol competition and see how you do with only a night sight or with a light and with a quality laser - I guarantee which 1 will allow for faster more accurate hits.

Swag
03-09-13, 23:10
Regardng not "liking" lasers - they certainly have benefit in some applications particular with your concern with seeing the front sight.. Go to a night pistol competition and see how you do with only a night sight or with a light and with a quality laser - I guarantee which 1 will allow for faster more accurate hits.

I'm sure of some certain benefits lasers provide given time and circumstance but that is a dependency I'd rather not develop.

Nephrology
03-10-13, 08:40
Instead of going for two dots, why not petition for a larger tritium vial? I am not sure if this is possible due to radiation concerns etc etc but a query to the manufacturer might prove beneficial?

Tritium is a REALLY REALLY REALLY weak beta emitter, so it's really pretty safe.

Now, if we were using Sodium 24..... that'd be a different story altogether.

Devildawg2531
03-10-13, 13:02
I'm sure of some certain benefits lasers provide given time and circumstance but that is a dependency I'd rather not develop.

I use AmeriGlo Hackathorn night sights on my CCW Glock's. Depending won what Im doing and where I will be I also have a SureFire X300 or SureFire X400. It's really easy to switch between them - if you have even basic levels of training you can transition easily. Transitioning to various pistol platforms say from Glock to 1911 to Beretta M9 I find much more challenging than from night sights to light / laser.