PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning weapon light lense

mark5pt56
03-16-08, 14:46
Hey, share your tricks here. I was trying alcohol, not working, tried some weapon cleaner, no worky either. Hmm, let me try the Rain-x glass cleaner---spotless with hardly any effort!

The Rain-x treatment can had leaked out so I put a coat of autowax on the lense to see if makes it easier to clean.

stony275
03-16-08, 15:18
Clean immediately upon conclusion of the shooting session. If you let the soot harden, it makes things much more difficult. If I'm thinking ahead, I put some blue masking tape over the lens to protect it during the range session and remove it when I'm finished.

While shooting with someone "from the community" here, I saw that he had a velcro type lens cover on his weapon light. It was there to prevent light ND's, but would also protect from residue buildup as well.

CarlosDJackal
03-16-08, 21:16
I used the same lense cleaning pen that I use to clean my optics. I protect my light via Butler Creek flip-up cover I need to use the light.

Patrick Aherne
03-16-08, 23:09
Before you shoot, put a drop of oil on the lens and rub it around with your fingertip. The soot and carbon will wipe right off when you clean.

Leonidas
03-17-08, 15:40
At a recent active shooter seminar I asked Ken Hackathorn about this and he said a pencil eraser does the trick for him. I gave it a try and it works.

mark5pt56
03-17-08, 17:13
Good info xchange. A protective coating and cleaning right after sounds great

Erick Gelhaus
03-17-08, 19:38
I've just cleaned it with MPro7 or the squirt on cleaner from Slip2000.

maclean
04-23-08, 12:50
Those "Magic Erasers" from Mr. Clean have worked well for me, with just a little water.

I keep them on hand to remove crayon art the kids put on the walls/tables/etc. and last week I tried them to remove soot from my Xiphos - worked like a charm!