PDA

View Full Version : Denver Assault Weapons Ban, the hell?!

kaltesherz
03-09-13, 13:54
And no, it's not something new- apparently it's been on the books for over 20 years. Apparently you can't have an "AW" type with a mag that carriers over 20 rounds- can anyone from Denver chime in on this? How is it enforced, is it enforced?

My dad moved to Denver and when I usually visit him I bring my AR and we do some bonding over target shooting. I've got exactly ONE 20 round mag yet boxes of 30 rounders...

Hmac
03-09-13, 14:07
Minneapolis has a similar law, even though state law specifically prohibits local preemption of state law which does allow "assault weapons". The local law is unenforceable, and isn't enforced.

Maybe Denver is the same way. It's something that you should spend some time looking up on the internet.

kaltesherz
03-09-13, 14:10
So are you saying the Denver law is also unenforced or just Minneapolis? Sorry, gun laws are something I generally don't like to mess with... especially when I'm just visiting...

Hmac
03-09-13, 14:30
So are you saying the Denver law is also unenforced or just Minneapolis? Sorry, gun laws are something I generally don't like to mess with... especially when I'm just visiting...
I believe assault weapons are legal in Denver as long as they don't have a magazine capacity greater than 20.

It's something you should check out. I could be wrong about this.

feedramp
03-09-13, 16:18
Stop using their language, please. We don't know what you're actually referring to when you say "assault weapons". Anything and everything can be an assault weapon.

kaltesherz
03-09-13, 16:34
Look guys, I'm looking for help not info on Minneapolis laws and it wasn't my idea to create a law in Denver years regarding a certain type of firearm-

I use the term "assault weapons" because that's what they ****ing call it in the law. If I used the term "Semi-automatic Sporting Rifle ban" people wouldn't know what I was referring to. Jesus, could someone please post something helpful?

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/denver_ordinance.txt

opmike
03-09-13, 16:38
Stop using their language, please. We don't know what you're actually referring to when you say "assault weapons". Anything and everything can be an assault weapon.

It's the language used in the legislation, chief. One cannot help but "use their language" when you're quoting the law.

Doing so doesn't mean that someone isn't aware of the fact that it's an arbitrary term made up by politicians.

tb-av
03-09-13, 17:01
As far as I know, every state and most counties / cities have their legal code online. It's searchable. I would find the code of Denver and search it. all the weapons stuff is usually in one little section. Also don't forget Colorado just pushed through the 15 round mag bill.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10257

type assault weapon in search

take first link.

scroll to sec. 38-130
===================
Code of Denver
Title II - Chapter 38 - Article IV - Division 2 - Sec 38-130

kaltesherz
03-09-13, 17:09
As far as I know, every state and most counties / cities have their legal code online. It's searchable. I would find the code of Denver and search it. all the weapons stuff is usually in one little section. Also don't forget Colorado just pushed through the 15 round mag bill.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10257

type assault weapon in search

take first link.

scroll to sec. 38-130
===================
Code of Denver
Title II - Chapter 38 - Article IV - Division 2 - Sec 38-130

Thanks, I had read somewhere else (it's surprisingly hard to find how LE actually enforces this law) that as long as the magazine wasn't inserted it was ok- but the law explicitly states mere possession is illegal.

Sooooooo anyone want to trade for some 20 round mags?! I just gave one to a guy on this site too... FML...

Oh, and the 15 round magazine ban hasn't passed yet
http://twitchy.com/2013/03/09/magpul-reaffirms-plan-to-leave-colorado-if-magazine-ban-is-signed-into-law/

RancidSumo
03-09-13, 17:44
Go to a range just outside of Denver and don't worry about it. Most of them are in the surrounding towns anyway.

Obiwan
03-09-13, 17:49
Denver and Boulder

Two stupid towns in an otherwise great state

Reality has been suspended in both

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-09-13, 17:50
It is basically a 20 round mag limit ban on rifles and handguns and a 6 shot max on auto shotguns.

They had a real 'AWB' ban, but changed it to defining a semi rifle with more than a 20 round magazine. Better now than a blanked on mag fed semis.

People travelling THRU are supposed to be OK with 20+ round mags, but there are stories about them getting their gear confiscated after traffic stops.

Chances of getting caught-slim. I just keep 3- thirty round mags hidden up at Weld's range for 3-gun matches and just use 20 rounders for PWSA matches. Nothing like rolling with a few grand in ARs and get them pinched for a couple of 30rnd mags on the way to the match.

Read the laws for complete info, this is just shorthand for how I 'deal' with it.

kaltesherz
03-09-13, 21:09
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help

Jer
03-09-13, 23:08
Denver and Boulder

Two stupid towns in an otherwise great state

Reality has been suspended in both

The bills to suspend reality in the rest of the state are going to be voted on on Monday and then signed into law by Governor Hickenlooper starting July 1st I'm afraid. :mad:

Spiffums
03-10-13, 09:24
So this is why Payton can't score over 20 pts at home games? :D

Jer
03-10-13, 14:29
So this is why Payton can't score over 20 pts at home games? :D

Dafuq you just say? :confused:

jpmuscle
03-10-13, 15:21
The bills to suspend reality in the rest of the state are going to be voted on on Monday and then signed into law by Governor Hickenlooper starting July 1st I'm afraid. :mad:

July 1st 2013, the day smuggling of magazines into CO surpassed marijuana.