PDA

View Full Version : Anyone paint their ar15 rear aperture?

Litpipe
03-09-13, 14:54
I searched and found nothing. My aperture can be very reflective, making it difficult to look through.

Anyone paint theirs with matt black or anything?

kmrtnsn
03-09-13, 14:57
I'll sharpen the outline of my pistol sights with a flat black paint marker. I find that modern rifle BUIS require less maintenance as they are exposed to less friction as my pistol sights.

Litpipe
03-09-13, 14:59
I was just curious if there is a better option than paint. I was just going to grin and deal with it...but the other day I coukd hardly make the front posst through the light.

dash1
03-09-13, 14:59
I've never messed with the rear sight, but back before RDS I remember it was popular to darken the front sight post with soot from the flame of a lighter

T2C
03-09-13, 15:05
About 35 years ago, we blacked the sights on our competition handguns with Birchwood Casey Sight Black or a carbide lamp to cut the glare. Our handguns had beautiful blue finishes and the sight black could be wiped off when you cleaned your pistol.

These days I am not so worried about the finish on a working firearm. If I have a problem with glare on a working firearm, I will hit the area with flat black high temp paint in a spray can. If I don't have high temp paint available, I will use whatever I have under the work bench.

Litpipe
03-09-13, 15:09
I just realised I failed to mention. This is a question regarding my ar15. The "cup" is catching light on the rear aperture.

T2C
03-09-13, 15:13
I just realised I failed to mention. This is a question regarding my ar15. The "cup" is catching light on the rear aperture.

Reverse the flip up sight. Place the beveled edges forward when you reinstall it. It will make it more difficult to pick up the front sight in low light though. If you don't like it, you can reverse the sight again.

scoutchris
03-09-13, 16:55
Hit it with some matte black krylon and call it a day. It's no big deal.

GH41
03-09-13, 16:55
About 35 years ago, we blacked the sights on our competition handguns with Birchwood Casey Sight Black or a carbide lamp to cut the glare. Our handguns had beautiful blue finishes and the sight black could be wiped off when you cleaned your pistol.

These days I am not so worried about the finish on a working firearm. If I have a problem with glare on a working firearm, I will hit the area with flat black high temp paint in a spray can. If I don't have high temp paint available, I will use whatever I have under the work bench.

I am old to!! We used a candle. I don't see any reason you couldn't dab some flat black paint on it with an artist brush. GH

T2C
03-09-13, 17:04
I am old to!! We used a candle. I don't see any reason you couldn't dab some flat black paint on it with an artist brush. GH

Then you probably remember this one. If you don't have any sight black, you can burn a styrofoam cup and use it like you would a candle. You have to move fast though.

dash1
03-09-13, 17:11
Then you probably remember this one. If you don't have any sight black, you can burn a styrofoam cup and use it like you would a candle. You have to move fast though.

mmmmm toxic. I can just see the geen/blue sparkly flame.

MistWolf
03-09-13, 17:16
Dip a Q-Tip in grease or oil and light it to smoke your sights

samuse
03-09-13, 17:33
I just fold mine down and use the Aimpoint.:D

Litpipe
03-09-13, 17:36
I will try the soot(spelling?) methed first. Thanks to all.

Safetyhit
03-09-13, 18:13
Dip a Q-Tip in grease or oil and light it to smoke your sights

It would be interesting to know who came up with this idea and under what circumstance. Bet they weren't sitting at home.

GH41
03-09-13, 18:28

They didn't have Styrofoam when I started. The first plastic container I remember was a Clorox jug. We would set them on fire and bomb ant beds with them. I can hear it now...zip-zip-zip! We would also fry them with a magnifying glass. The ants didn't like us much. GH

MistWolf
03-10-13, 11:42
It would be interesting to know who came up with this idea and under what circumstance. Bet they weren't sitting at home.

I learned it from a very old school (M1 Garand) Service Rifle competitor before ARs displaced M14s at the game. He kept several Q-Tips and a pot of grease in his kit just for that purpose. I believe he said when he was still wet behind the ears, he learned it from a competitor who started with an '03

markm
03-11-13, 08:41
Never had a rear sight need it, but I'll rattle can the front with flat black every so often.

Ick
03-11-13, 09:29
I have used a sharpie permanent marker for this purpose. You want the one that clings to any clean surface and tends to stay. Not all markers are created equal, cheap markers don't work as well and don't last long. The marker works great for coloring in nicks, scratches, and dings too.

sdcromer
03-12-13, 16:54
Blacken it with a cigarette lighter.....or flat black engine block paint ;)