PDA

View Full Version : The Pope, Mandela, Soccer Riot, Etc...Btw We Are At Defcon 4...

SteyrAUG
03-09-13, 18:41
Just thought everyone might like to know since the evening news didn't mention it at all. They had a whole segment on warming trends in climate change but not a peep about North Korea or the fact that we are currently at Defcon 4.

http://defconwarningsystem.com/

This is the DEFCON Warning System. Alert status for 8:15 P.M. Thursday, March 7th, 2013. Condition Blue. DEFCON 4. Condition Blue. DEFCON 4. Condition Blue. DEFCON 4.

There are currently no imminent nuclear threats against the United States at this time, however there are events occurring in the world theatre which require closer monitoring.

North Korea has announced that it will end the cease fire armistice with South Korea on Monday, March 11th, and has threatened to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the United States in retaliation for new U.N. sanctions that have been imposed upon it. While North Korea does not yet possess the capability of a nuclear ballistic missile launch, they are working toward that goal. Additionally, the United States remains extremely vulnerable to a coastal attack from ships as well as from smuggled nuclear weapons due to its porous border.

VIP3R 237
03-09-13, 19:45
Is this a legitimate source?

It kinda makes sense though, one of my friends is an Air Force Raven and he mentioned on Facebook today that they are heading to the Orient.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-09-13, 19:48
Most Americans are more interested in what The Pope and the Kardashian sluts are up to than what North Korea is doing.

kmrtnsn
03-09-13, 19:59
By all indications, it was a normal unspectacular day in South Korea and Japan too. That should be taken as a clue as to the worry level concerning North Korean rhetoric.

Thomas M-4
03-09-13, 20:07
By all indications, it was a normal unspectacular day in South Korea and Japan too. That should be taken as a clue as to the worry level concerning North Korean rhetoric.

Not really a good clue has history shows. You only have to look to Yom Kippur war.

kmrtnsn
03-09-13, 20:10
Not really a good clue has history shows. You only have to look to Yom Kippur war.

The discussions is about the nuclear might that is (not) North Korea, not Israel.

Thomas M-4
03-09-13, 20:20
The discussions is about the nuclear might that is (not) North Korea, not Israel.

On rereading OP I agree. But my point was just because South Korea population doesn't seem concerned with it. Is not a good clue as you put it.

SteyrAUG
03-09-13, 20:44

If you clicked the link you would find it is pretty non alarmist and notes in detail that NK does NOT have the capacity to reach the US with nuclear missiles.

However NK plans on conducting war games Monday the 11th to coincide with war games being conducted by the US/SK and there is lots of room for that to go to shit quickly. The move to Defcon 4 is in preparation for that event on the 11th.

NK has also declared a no fly zone on both coasts which clears NK airspace for rockets and missiles. And most significantly of all, NK has officially declared an end to the cease fire which has existed since the end of the Korean War.

This is frankly significant shit despite the fact that NK is famous for rhetoric and sabre rattling. This is far more significant to the US than a soccer riot in Egypt. With an inexperienced leader like Kim Jong-un there is lots of room for things to escalate out of control. This despite the fact that Dennis Rodman has returned with assurances of "peace in our time."

SteyrAUG
03-09-13, 20:47
On rereading OP I agree. But my point was just because South Korea population doesn't seem concerned with it. Is not a good clue as you put it.

Pyongyang’s newest threat worries South Korea, Japan (http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51091921#51091921)

kmrtnsn
03-09-13, 20:52
If you clicked the link you would find it is pretty non alarmist and notes in detail that NK does NOT have the capacity to reach the US with nuclear missiles.

However NK plans on conducting war games Monday the 11th to coincide with war games being conducted by the US/SK and there is lots of room for that to go to shit quickly. The move to Defcon 4 is in preparation for that event on the 11th.

NK has also declared a no fly zone on both coasts which clears NK airspace for rockets and missiles. And most significantly of all, NK has officially declared an end to the cease fire which has existed since the end of the Korean War.

This is frankly significant shit despite the fact that NK is famous for rhetoric and sabre rattling. This is far more significant to the US than a soccer riot in Egypt. With an inexperienced leader like Kim Jong-un there is lots of room for things to escalate out of control. This despite the fact that Dennis Rodman has returned with assurances of "peace in our time."

Clearly, 30 plus million South Koreans, who should be more concerned about their northern neighbor are not. I imagine they have a much more Humint capability when it comes to that neighbor than we do; they're not worried so I'm not worried. Call me when we hit DEFCON 2, till then, Pale Rider is TV and I'm more interested in it.

SteyrAUG
03-09-13, 21:17
Clearly, 30 plus million South Koreans, who should be more concerned about their northern neighbor are not. I imagine they have a much more Humint capability when it comes to that neighbor than we do; they're not worried so I'm not worried. Call me when we hit DEFCON 2, till then, Pale Rider is TV and I'm more interested in it.

Even if we resumed the Korean war on a full scale level we would be unlikely to go to Defcon 2 as NK lacks the ability to launch a nuclear strike against the US. This isn't the Cuban Missile Crisis, this isn't even Able Archer, but we ended up in Iraq for almost 10 years over a lot less.

VIP3R 237
03-09-13, 21:19
Even if we resumed the Korean war on a full scale level we would be unlikely to go to Defcon 2 as NK lacks the ability to launch a nuclear strike against the US. This isn't the Cuban Missile Crisis, this isn't even Able Archer, but we ended up in Iraq for almost 10 years over a lot less.

While North Korea does not yet possess the capability of a nuclear ballistic missile launch, they are working toward that goal. Additionally, the United States remains extremely vulnerable to a coastal attack from ships as well as from smuggled nuclear weapons due to its porous border.

Imagine the shock our nation would have if a NK warhead hit the coast.

Safetyhit
03-09-13, 21:34
South Korea isn't usually too worried because our troops are there. The north isn't concerned much because they have China and they are also certifiably insane.

I don't ever want good people to go to war, but if it has to happen somewhere then let it be there.

Honu
03-09-13, 21:57
But that rodman guy says NK leader is a buddy and a great guy

Yeah the crap that is going on anymore if it was in a movie you would be saying fake to over the top to be real !

feedramp
03-09-13, 22:17
Most Americans are more interested in what The Pope and the Kardashian sluts are up to than what North Korea is doing.

I'd certainly prefer seeing one Kim than the other.

SteyrAUG
03-10-13, 00:58

I would be pretty surprised. Right now the greatest nuke threat is probably a smuggled suitcase nuke. I don't think NK has a submarine launch capacity or that would be a concern.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the "games" on Monday.

Moose-Knuckle
03-10-13, 03:49
And here I thought this thread was going to be about Saint Malachy's prophecy on the last Pope. :p

duece71
03-10-13, 06:29
Surprising the drive by media hasn't picked up on this. Their never ending salavating mouth for fear mongering stories makes one wonder why not.

Nightvisionary
03-10-13, 06:42
I would be pretty surprised. Right now the greatest nuke threat is probably a smuggled suitcase nuke. I don't think NK has a submarine launch capacity or that would be a concern.

I remember going to a party many years ago. There was this crazy little drunk guy that was running around with a gigantic foam spatula, shaking the spatula at people and yelling,"You wanna start some shit?!"

Well that's North Korea.

An Undocumented Worker
03-10-13, 08:02
Wake me up when it gets to 1.

munch520
03-10-13, 08:07

Therein lies the entire problem. Also happens to be the reason BHO was re elected.

Spiffums
03-10-13, 09:31
And to think the Red Dawn remake came out on DVD Tuesday and now this.............hrmmm.

D. Christopher
03-10-13, 09:46
See if you can find the future despot and dictator.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15804&stc=1&d=1362926636

chuckman
03-10-13, 10:01

And the utter devastation that NK would endure afterward....

Safetyhit
03-10-13, 10:13
See if you can find the future despot and dictator.

It seems rather unfortunate that after spending his socially formative years in Switzerland and also despite his clear love of many things west, he's just another fat little piece of hateful shit like his father.

Never been stationed there or even visited SK, but I do follow most North Korean developments because of the potential for instability and because I am waiting for the day that the imprisoned innocents, second and third-generation small children and families who are worked 15 hours per day, 363 days per year until they die, are liberated.

MountainRaven
03-10-13, 12:25
It seems rather unfortunate that after spending his socially formative years in Switzerland and also despite his clear love of many things west, he's just another fat little piece of hateful shit like his father.

How do we know he isn't just a figurehead for DPRK hard-liners?

ETA: It's worth noting, I think, that we thought that Bashar al-Asad was going to be a moderating influence on the Syrian government, that he was not going to be as bad as his father was... and now he's turned out worse.

8200rpm
03-10-13, 12:44
we ended up in Iraq for almost 10 years over a lot less.

U.S. has been on the Korean peninsula since 1945.

US casualties in Korea = 36k, in Iraq = <5k

VIP3R 237
03-10-13, 12:54

And if this hypothetical nuke was smuggled through our southern border, maybe some serious border security considerations.

Irish
03-10-13, 13:15
Don't forget that N. Korea did just conduct another nuclear test last month along with their current threats. Is it ICBM time? Nope, but immature young men with gobs of power sometimes want to exercise that and flex their muscles. I think it's a valid concern.

A pretty interesting article detailing their past nuclear tests with a map noting locations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17823706

Jellybean
03-10-13, 13:39

Who says they have to smuggle anything, or use some sort of specialized ship?
Why not (and this is purely guesstimation on my part) just use an innocuous ship, like a cargo freighter, and put your nuke on a much smaller missile, stick it in the converted ship, drive over here and launch it at much closer range? Same result, right?
No need for ICBMs or nuke capable subs or smuggling then.....
:fie:

SteyrAUG
03-10-13, 16:05
U.S. has been on the Korean peninsula since 1945.

US casualties in Korea = 36k, in Iraq = <5k

I think you missed the entire point of my statement. I'm well aware of how many people are stationed in SK, including at times members of my own family.

When my brother was at Camp Cassey one of his buddies who returned to the military and asked my brother to swear him in. They did it on the Bridge of No Return.

Honu
03-10-13, 19:58

Sadly not sure what this administration would do ?
might do a little show but not destroy them ?
Sadly I think this :(

VIP3R 237
03-10-13, 20:01
Sadly not sure what this administration would do ?
might do a little show but not destroy them ?
Sadly I think this :(

Im sure our admistration would find some way to spin it and put the blame on the Republicans. They do with everything else.

Jellybean
03-10-13, 22:21
Im sure our admistration would find some way to spin it and put the blame on the Republicans. They do with everything else.

"Because of the Repubs. pushing all these budget cuts we can't afford to destroy them..." :laugh:

Honu
03-11-13, 00:09
Yup :)

the sequestration has made it so we cant retaliate !
Blame those republicans !

markm
03-11-13, 09:41
I'm more worried about the Kardashiuns!

khc3
03-11-13, 12:53

I wish I had your confidence.

thopkins22
03-11-13, 13:09
The Chinese may be their "allies" but don't think for one second that they wouldn't be first in line to smack down the North Koreans. They may supply them with things that they can't get from the west, but they have absolutely no desire to have things turn to shit in their backyard. They don't want the political backlash, the refugees, the fighting, nor do they want their commerce with the west interrupted.

China is still a communist country to a degree, but they aren't filled with hardliners that want to emulate the Soviet Union of a few decades ago. They've got a good thing going and they know it.

SteyrAUG
03-11-13, 16:05
Just an update, the UN said "No" so apparently everything is ok.

UN says Korean War armistice still in force, NKorea can't opt out unilaterally (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/11/un-spokesman-says-korean-war-armistice-still-in-force-nkorea-cant-opt-out/)

:lol:

Doc Safari
03-11-13, 16:42
Just an update, the UN said "No" so apparently everything is ok.

UN says Korean War armistice still in force, NKorea can't opt out unilaterally (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/11/un-spokesman-says-korean-war-armistice-still-in-force-nkorea-cant-opt-out/)

I sure am glad we got that straightened out. I was beginning to think the UN wasn't good for anything.

SteyrAUG
03-11-13, 17:32
How funny will it be if "Mom says NO" actually works.

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 18:50
Um. Why would NK listen to the UN? I'm pretty sure that if NK wanted to break the cease fire then they could just start shooting. "Can't break it unilaterally" my ass.

Bubba FAL
03-12-13, 19:01
The NoKos came across the 38th Parallel unilaterally in June of 1950, what makes the UN think they won't act unilaterally again?

SteyrAUG
03-12-13, 19:47
More rhetoric. Maybe NK isn't stupid enough to start some shit.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/12/world/asia/koreas-tensions/index.html