PDA

View Full Version : Georgia members take note...SB 33 and SB 146...

Shooterman017
03-09-13, 20:23
ETA: If anybody with GD forum posting privileges (I do not post here frequently) wants to link or even copy/paste/quote this post there, feel 110% free to do so.

I may be a little late to the game, as I just found this myself last night, but this was the first time I had seen or heard of any such pieces of legislation...I realize people may say "but it's Georgia..." but I'd rather give this the attention it deserves, lest it be passed because nobody says a damn thing about it to begin with...

Linkage:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/...20132014/SB/33

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/...0132014/SB/146

Excerpts from SB 33:

Part 2 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated,
10 relating to possession of dangerous weapons, is amended by revising Code Section
11 16-11-121, relating to definitions, as follows:
12 "16-11-121.
13 As used in this part, the term:
14 (1) 'Assault weapon' means:
15 (A) A semiautomatic rifle able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the
16 following:
17 (i) A folding or telescoping stock;
18 (ii) A pistol grip;
19 (iii) A bayonet mount;
20 (iv) A flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
21 suppressor; or
22 (v) A grenade launcher;
23 (B) A semiautomatic pistol with detachable magazines and one or more of the
24 following:
25 (i) A magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip;
26 (ii) A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a barrel extender, handgrip, or flash
27 suppressor;
13 LC 21 1916
S. B. 33
- 2 -
28 (iii) A barrel shroud that can be used as a handhold; or
29 (iv) An unloaded weight of 1.4 kilograms or more;
30 (C) A semiautomatic version of a fully automatic firearm; and
31 (D) A semiautomatic shotgun with one or more of the following:
32 (i) A folding or telescoping stock;
33 (ii) A pistol grip;
34 (iii) A fixed capacity of more than five rounds; or
35 (iv) A detachable magazine.
49 (4) 'Oversize magazine' means a magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds of
50 ammunition. Such term also means two or more magazines affixed together with tape,
51 twine, or by any other means.
68 SECTION 2.
69 Said part is further amended by adding a new Code section to read as follows:
70 "16-11-122.1.
71 No person shall transport, have in his or her possession with the intent to sell, or sell any
72 assault weapon or oversize magazine. The possession of two or more assault weapons or
73 oversize magazines shall create a rebuttable presumption that possession is with intent to
74 sell. Any person violating this Code section shall be guilty of a felony and, upon
75 conviction, shall be sentenced to a term of not less than ten nor more than 20 years in
76 prison."

Excerpts from SB 146:

9 SECTION 1.
10 Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to
11 dangerous instrumentalities and practices, is amended by revising Code Section 16-11-121,
12 relating to definitions, as follows:
13 "16-11-121.
14 As used in this part, the term:
15 (1) 'Antique firearm' means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim-fire or
16 conventional center-fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before
17 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition
18 system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898,
19 and any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which
20 ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available
21 in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
22 (2) 'Assault weapon' means:
23 (A) A semiautomatic, center-fire rifle able to accept detachable magazines and any one
24 of the following:
25 (i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
26 (ii) A forward pistol grip;
27 (iii) A thumbhole stock;
13 LC 29 5376
S. B. 146
- 2 -
28 (iv) A folding or telescoping stock;
29 (v) A grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
30 (vi) A flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
31 suppressor;
32 (B) A semiautomatic, center-fire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to
33 accept more than ten rounds;
34 (C) A semiautomatic, center-fire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches;
35 (D) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and
36 any one of the following:
37 (i) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or
38 silencer;
39 (ii) A second handgrip;
40 (iii) A shroud that is attached to or partially or completely encircles the barrel, except
41 a slide that encloses the barrel, that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without
42 burning the bearer's hand; or
43 (iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the
44 pistol grip;
45 (E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more
46 than ten rounds;
47 (F) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
48 (i) A folding or telescoping stock; and
49 (ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
50 thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip;
51 (G) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
52 (H) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
53 Such term shall not include any antique firearm or pistols sanctioned by the International
54 Olympic Committee and by USA Shooting that were used for Olympic target shooting
55 purposes as of June 30, 2013.
56 (3) 'Dangerous weapon' means any weapon commonly known as a 'rocket launcher,'
57 'bazooka,' or 'recoilless rifle' which fires explosive or nonexplosive rockets designed to
58 injure or kill personnel or destroy heavy armor, or similar weapon used for such purpose.
59 The term shall also mean a weapon commonly known as a 'mortar' which fires high
60 explosive from a metallic cylinder and which is commonly used by the armed forces as
61 an antipersonnel weapon or similar weapon used for such purpose. The term shall also
62 mean a weapon commonly known as a 'hand grenade' or other similar weapon which is
63 designed to explode and injure personnel or similar weapon used for such purpose. The
13 LC 29 5376
S. B. 146
- 3 -
64 term shall also mean an assault weapon and any weapon equipped with a high-capacity
65 magazine.
66 (4) 'High-cacapacity magazine' means a magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds
67 of ammunition, but shall not include any of the following:
68 (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate
69 more than ten rounds;
70 (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device; or
71 (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.
133 (b) The Department of Law shall create rules and regulations to exempt models of
134 competitive pistols that would otherwise fall within the definition of 'assault weapon' from
135 being classified as an assault weapon. The exempt competitive pistols may be based on
136 recommendations by USA Shooting consistent with the regulations contained in the USA
137 Shooting official rules or may be based on the recommendation or rules of any other
138 organization that the department deems relevant."

ldub5818
03-10-13, 12:00
Doesn't worry me one bit. This will NEVER pass through our state senate or house, let alone the gov sign off on it.

Its probably just some jackass from buckhead getting on his high horse. Still though, everyone stay in contact with your state and federal reps regardless of their stance!

Bad links btw...

SteveS
03-10-13, 17:37
Doesn't worry me one bit. This will NEVER pass through our state senate or house, let alone the gov sign off on it.

Its probably just some jackass from buckhead getting on his high horse. Still though, everyone stay in contact with your state and federal reps regardless of their stance!

Bad links btw...
Lets hope not!!! Many said Obama wouldn't get reelected either!!!

ldub5818
03-10-13, 18:31
Yea but thats involving the whole country. He damn sure didnt win in GA. I know what you are getting at though. I'll just keep writing my reps and showing up to the rallies.

Shooterman017
03-10-13, 19:51
Valid links:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/SB/33

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/SB/146

ldub5818
03-11-13, 17:58
Those will definetly die in committee. Look at the committee in charge of hearing it, i dont see enough support for it with that group. If there were more dem's in it, then possibly. Just stay on em.
http://www.senate.ga.gov/committees/en-US/Committee.aspx?Committee=183&Session=23

FlyingHunter
03-11-13, 18:39
Those will definetly die in committee. Look at the committee in charge of hearing it, i dont see enough support for it with that group. If there were more dem's in it, then possibly. Just stay on em.
http://www.senate.ga.gov/committees/en-US/Committee.aspx?Committee=183&Session=23

I agree...but let's vigilant and keep positively communicating with our elected officials. Next year, we may be saying remember Colorado...

MontePR
03-11-13, 19:29
That Shit won't fly here in in GA. Not in our lifetime. We do have to worry about the future of our state legislature. By the looks of it their plan is for the long term. They are starting to shut down our gun culture and heritage at the root in our school system unfortunately.

bullittmcqueen
03-11-13, 20:50
Looking at the sponsors of those bills, you can't really say you're all that surprised.

ldub5818
03-11-13, 22:00
Looking at the sponsors of those bills, you can't really say you're all that surprised.

Exactly, except for the likes of the guy from columbus and macon. Anyone who is represented by these stooges needs to remind them that their job is an elected position. Look at the republican revolution of 94.....

cwgibson
06-29-13, 19:31
Georgia could very well be a swing state or a blue state in the future. It's not going anywhere now, but who knows what lies ahead.