PDA

View Full Version : After market barrels for Glock 19

kf4aqo
03-16-08, 18:31
This may have been asked before - I looked so if this is an old "already asked question" I apologize.
I'm considering a Storm Lake barrel. What are the opinions about after market barrels? Does a ported barrel make that much difference?
Thank you.
James

Ray T
03-16-08, 18:41
kf4ago - what are looking for as far as performance goes? If you want accuracy, then goe with a hand fitted barrel. The drop in barrels sometimes does outshoot the stock version, but not all the time.

Porting does work with the right design and when you use hot ammo. Downside is that, if you fire your weapon up close, you might get a face full of gas.

The barrels that I have tried are: Bar-Sto, Lone Wolf, KKM, Wilson, and Jarvis. The "gunsmith fit" barrels do shoot alot better than the stock units and also gives more case support. My preferance - Bar-Sto barrels.

ST911
03-16-08, 21:07
This may have been asked before - I looked so if this is an old "already asked question" I apologize. I'm considering a Storm Lake barrel. What are the opinions about after market barrels? Does a ported barrel make that much difference?
Thank you.
James

Low.

No.

I would consider an aftermarket barrel only after you gain sufficient expertise to outshoot the OEM, and are willing to accept the compromise in reliability, or if you have an exceptional hardware need that an OEM configuration can't provide.

kf4aqo
03-17-08, 06:46
Low.

No.

I would consider an aftermarket barrel only after you gain sufficient expertise to outshoot the OEM, and are willing to accept the compromise in reliability, or if you have an exceptional hardware need that an OEM configuration can't provide.

This is sound advice. Thanks.
KF4AQO (James R)

Ray T
03-17-08, 10:59
Ray T,
What type of accuracy are you getting from a fitted BarSto MT in a 9mm Glock?

On a Glock 17 fitted with a Bar-Sto barrel, and using Cor-Bon 115 gr JHPs and Federal 115 gr JHP (9BP) , the gun will shoot a solid 1" at 25 yards. :D

As far as reliability goes, I have used it in several training courses where I shot 1000 rounds with no malfunctions at all. :)

jmart
03-17-08, 18:55
Why are you looking at an aftermarket barrel? Are you looking for increased accuracy? Ability to shoot lead?

kf4aqo
03-19-08, 07:49
Why are you looking at an aftermarket barrel? Are you looking for increased accuracy? Ability to shoot lead?

I want to be a accurate as possible. I'm not concerned about shooting lead.
KF4AQO - James R

M4arc
03-19-08, 08:24
I have a couple Lone Wolf barrels but for reasons other than increased accuracy. First I have a 9mm conversion barrel and the other is a threaded barrel. I have them because those configurations are different.

I can't out shoot a OEM barrel but I do like aftermarket barrels for different configurations.