PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an M4 or M2?

CJFirefly
03-16-08, 19:23
Both have pistol grip stocks, ghost rings, 5 shot capacities and removable chokes. The M2 is about $350 less than the M4. Which one would you get based on reliability? I know the M2 is probably considered to be more proven. Another option is a used, but hardly even looks fired, Beretta 1201FP for $550. This is the version with the pistol grip stock.

Please don't suggest a pump as I already own a sweet 870P. I really have a hankering for a nice semi.

Zak Smith
03-17-08, 17:32
Over the last 18 months, we have had several shooters "try" to use Benelli M4's in our local 3-Gun matches. I have not yet witnessed one of them finish a match without having some sort of malfunction. The standard shotgun in use is the M1S90, with a few M2's trickling in.

-z

Buck
03-18-08, 03:00
The Benelli M4 is an outstanding shotgun and if you can afford one I would highly recommend it.... Once you get the base gun, I would save my pennies for the extended magazine tube and the telescoping stock...

Just my .02

Buck

mattjmcd
03-27-08, 17:18
I have no time behind the M4's trigger, but I do have an M2. It's been quite good for me.

Plusses include the very light weight, simple design, easy to clean innards, and reliability. I've had no issues with lighter loads or smaller shot (my local indoor spot only allows birdshot and light game loads). I think the M2 is cheaper, too.

ryno_the_wyno
04-18-08, 02:44
I recently went through this same dilema. Ultimatly, I ended up with a M2 Tactical, and later an M3...

I have alot of experience/confidence with ID Benelli's. They are among the most reliable automatic shotguns in existance and have proven this, time and time again. The M4 lacks the hard-earned reputation of the M1S90 and has had some development trouble, including a recall. Combat use has shown that there is still some work to be done. A local PD adopted the M4 recently and has been paying for it ever since.*excuse the pun*. They have had numerous instances of operational parts failing/breaking and the guns will not reliably cycle thier duty ammo-Federal LE127. These guns replaced aging
M1S90's, which despite being old, would cycle this ammo. The ID system is very forgiving and functions with a wide variety of ammo, including low recoil and light loads. Granted, LR loads aren't ideal for automatics, but agenices buy thousands of rounds at a time with a bid...they have to use what they've got. My experience shooting M4's has shown them to be more ammo sensitive than ID guns, which is consistant with any gas operated shotgun.

The M4 is also heavier and slightly more complex than ID Benelli's. M1/M2's are great feeling, light guns IMO and the M4 is a tank. I prefer the ergonomics of the ID guns way more.

M4's also seem to be more of a target than M1's and M2's. They have been the subject of Benelli/BATFE headaches and letters. IMO, 922r compliance negates ownership of the M4. I couldn't imagine owning a 1400.00 combat shotgun that didn't have a PG stock and extended magazine. The M2 can get tangled up in this shit too, but the M1's/M2's have enjoyed protections and BATFE acceptance that few other guns of this type have.

The only reason the M4 exists is because of DoD specified the new JS shotgun must be able to accept lights/lasers/optics. Because they are ID guns, the M1 and M2 are weight sensitive and cannot be laden with accessories and still function reliably. Were it not for the DoD's specs, the M4 and ARGO system wouldn't exist. I find it very telling that the ARGO system has been around for nearly 10 years and has yet to be incorperated in another shotgun besides the M4.

If you aren't going to install lights/lasers/optics on your shotgun, there is no reason to practical reason to buy an M4. Again, its not because of dissatisfaction with the ID system or that the ARGO system is better/more reliable that the M4 was developed, its because of compatibility/reliability with accessories. You can absolutely install an optic or laser/light on your M2, you just probably can't have it all at once. I have had optics/accessoires on my M2 and M3's and have had no problem with function when using appropriate ammo.

I just couldn't justify the extra 400.00+ for the M4, considering that it lacks the reputation of the M2, its heavier and more of a BATFE target/concern. The ID system is simple and exceedingly reliable/durable and it has proven to be superior to most*if not all* gas operated systems. To me, the fact that Benelli hasn't incorperated the ARGO system into another shotgun in around 10 years is significant/telling.

The reason to buy an M4 is the same reason to buy a SPAS12, they are cool. The M2 is a better choice for a "working" gun.

Robb Jensen
04-18-08, 05:14
Both have pistol grip stocks, ghost rings, 5 shot capacities and removable chokes. The M2 is about $350 less than the M4. Which one would you get based on reliability? I know the M2 is probably considered to be more proven. Another option is a used, but hardly even looks fired, Beretta 1201FP for $550. This is the version with the pistol grip stock.

Please don't suggest a pump as I already own a sweet 870P. I really have a hankering for a nice semi.

I'd go with an M2 with ComforTech stock.

CJFirefly
04-20-08, 00:40
Thanks for all the insight. I finally stumbled across a like new M2 with factory ghost rings. It came with a slew of Nordic and Mesa Tactical accessories. Ended up getting it for $800. I can't wait to try it out.

JediMindTricks
04-30-08, 16:29
M3. Semi auto + pump= more reliable than the rest.

Hawk777th
06-04-08, 13:15
Are the M1 M2 M3 neuterd like the M4 is? Whats the shell capacity on them?

AwaySooner
06-04-08, 13:37
How well does the semi auto cycle through less potent shells such as birdshot or buckshot?

kjo
06-04-08, 15:06
my m4 cycles birdshot without a problem
kjo

TOrrock
06-04-08, 15:15
I'd go with the M2.

Alaskapopo
06-04-08, 18:01

I vote M4. I shot my M4 side by side with a buddies M2. We both shoot 3 gun. His gun kicks worse than my 870 with a Knoxx stock. The M4 was a pussy cat. The M4 is also very reliable.
Here are some pics of mine. Mine will work with low recoil slugs but not low recoil buck (remington) it works with the cheap bird shot too. The compliance parts issue is a problem That is why this is a leo gun for me. I have purchased 3 us made parts but need to install more. Another option to make it legal for a civilian is to register it as a short barreled shotgun their is nothing saying you have to actually install the short barrel and short barrel shotguns don't have to be compliant with Section 922.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/IM001019.jpg
Set up as a LEO duty shotgun

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/IM001016.jpg
Set up for 3 gun.
Pat