PDA

View Full Version : Why the price difference between lowers?

~kev~
03-10-13, 13:22
From what I understand certain companies such as BCM, Colt, FN and maybe Ruger make their own lowers.

Other companies such as palmetto state armory, rock river, model 1 sales buy their stuff from manufacturers.

What justifies the price difference between a PSA lower, wilson combat lower, dpms lower,,, and other various brand names?

AKDoug
03-10-13, 14:02
Definition of 'Perceived Value'
The worth that a product or service has in the mind of the consumer. The consumer's perceived value of a good or service affects the price that he or she is willing to pay for it. For the most part, consumers are unaware of the true cost of production for the products they buy. Instead, they simply have an internal feeling for how much certain products are worth to them. Thus, in order to obtain a higher price for their products, producers may pursue marketing strategies to create a higher perceived value for their products.
That and the fact that certain suppliers theoretically hold their specifications to tighter tolerances.

VaeVictis
03-10-13, 14:04
Even if two different companies contract their parts from the same manufacturer they have different specifications they want them built to. Company A can come to the manufacturer and say they want a lower built to the highest specifications while company B can say they want their lowers built to a certain price point and are willing to cut costs on the finish and sloppier specs. Just because they are coming out of the same factory doesn't mean it's the same quality product. If you've ever seen a BCM of Noveske factory 2nd these often look a lot better than many other companies' regular lowers. That's because these companies have very strict specifications as to what their lowers should be.

polymorpheous
03-10-13, 14:31
Even if two different companies contract their parts from the same manufacturer they have different specifications they want them built to. Company A can come to the manufacturer and say they want a lower built to the highest specifications while company B can say they want their lowers built to a certain price point and are willing to cut costs on the finish and sloppier specs. Just because they are coming out of the same factory doesn't mean it's the same quality product. If you've ever seen a BCM of Noveske factory 2nd these often look a lot better than many other companies' regular lowers. That's because these companies have very strict specifications as to what their lowers should be.

100% right on here.
A handful of companies do their own machining.
Most contract it out with specific specs they want.

ckimball09
03-10-13, 15:00
Some lowers are made with better materials, some are unique in their looks and functions. Some lowers you are just paying extra for the brand name and their stamp.

~kev~
03-10-13, 15:30

Thank you, and that is what I was wondering.

PSA has been getting stripped lowers in stock, so I ordered one. The price was $119 + shipping. The plan is to build my wife a PSA M4 as they get parts in.

While I was talking to a buddy of mine, he likes the "lesser expensive" stuff, he suggested I was paying too much for the parts. He then referred me to model1sales.

The discussion turned to how the same companies make lowers for a majority of the market.

I was under the impression the manufacturers put the logo on the lowers, but most of the lowers are built to "about" the same specs.

I went with a PSA because they have a reputation for good quality. Its difficult to talk to someone who thinks all lowers are the same.

StevieJ309
03-10-13, 15:38
Purchasing power has a lot to do with it as well. The more you can buy from your supplier the cheaper you can offer it to the consumer.

Axcelea
03-10-13, 15:43

This is part of it. You think about it a manufacture might give receivers to company B that are rejected for company A.

Some lowers are made with better materials, some are unique in their looks and functions. Some lowers you are just paying extra for the brand name and their stamp.

Another part of it. Flared mag wells come to mind. You even think about it there is a difference between a lot of "American" and "European" mag wells which is why certain mags won't work in European mag wells.

Peshawar
03-10-13, 16:27
Along with the brand name comes a reputation. A reputation that is either known for its customer service, or not. So, in my opinion, you're also paying for the implied promise of service down the road should it be necessary. The product may be identical in every way except for the logo, but three years later who will take your call when it breaks?

That said, people are often kinda stupid and more than a little nuts. There was no reason for Noveske lowers to reach $600 during the 2008 election, yet they did. Were they going to build a better rifle than a DD lower at that time? Or get you any other benefit? Nope. It was perceived value, and a market that responded to that despite there being no basis in fact for the increased value. It's as valuable as people think it is, which is the main defense of price gouging / capitalism / whatever. People will buy anything under the right circumstances.

Iraqgunz
03-10-13, 16:32
This issue has been discussed numerous times- a brief search would have revealed this. As it has been stated, there are a handful of companies that make lowers for most of the industry. Very few outside of a few make their own.

As for Model1 sales, I wouldn't purchase any component from them that was a critical parts.

Merle
03-10-13, 16:48
I've used lower recievers from Mega, Aero Precision, Stag, S&W, Noveske, CMMG, LRB Arms, Bushmaster, LMT and Armalite and the only problems I've ever had was a CMMG reciever that would drop G.I mags but not Pmags. Other than that, they all worked served their intended purpose without problems. Marketing, hype, and quality (real or percieved )are all factors that affect the market.