PDA

View Full Version : Troy Alpha Rail

encore4me
03-10-13, 19:21
I am wanting to get one of these for my AR and was wondering if anyone could explain how they hook up. I know that you get a special nut that replaces your standard nut but how does it securely hold the rail? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

mkmckinley
03-10-13, 19:29
Matt,

I tried to explain the way it mounts here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103591&highlight=troy). It uses a standard USGI style barrel nut, a positive thing IMO, and is mounted by basically anchoring itself to the nut. It has an anti rotation tab to prevent loosening the nut under hard use. I've found Troy Alphas to be stable, comfortable and effective.

encore4me
03-10-13, 19:37
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!

HuntingTime
03-10-13, 19:44
Right, no special barrel nut. Which rail are you looking at specifically? Even if it is the VTAC, I don't think it makes a difference.

Aaron_B
03-11-13, 02:22
The VTAC alpha works the same way. For the price, I think it's an excellent rail. I ran two of them for a while on both my colt's but decided to swap to the NSR. If you are wondering, the feel of the NSR is what made me change.

Onyx Z
03-11-13, 13:06
They are really solid handguards. You won't be dissapointed. I ran one for a few months until I found the NSR I wanted.

wakebrdr142
03-11-13, 22:47
There are a few great videos on youtube of Troy installs. I installed one recently and it was fairly easy, even without all the proper tools.

encore4me
03-12-13, 00:35
In going to try it. I might call S&W and see if they have a Lo pro gas block. That way I can have it pinned without all that grinding.

JR TACTICAL
03-12-13, 00:54
In going to try it. I might call S&W and see if they have a Lo pro gas block. That way I can have it pinned without all that grinding.

Its really not that bad, I have done 3 of them this past month and it takes about an hour if you take your time and make sure everything is even and you re-finish it. I did all my work with a dremel tool, the right attachments make all the difference. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I will walk you through it.

ar15556
03-12-13, 14:48
Troy has low profile gas block, as well.

Nightvisionary
03-12-13, 18:12
I would really give the Samson (or Rainier Arms) Evolution a look. It's very similar to the Troy but the friction mounting method seems to be executed a little better. No cheese grater feel either.

Jmacken37
03-12-13, 20:47
I like the alpha rails. As others have mentioned they use a standard USGI barrel nut.

Note on installation:

it is very important that the USGI nut be properly aligned (teeth need to be oriented so that a gas tube would fit). I've had two problems with installation. On the first, the barrel nut was placed on too tightly and then one of the teeth was ground down to allow passage of the gas tube. The alpha rail would attach, but subsequently loosen. Once the teeth on the barrel nut were properly aligned, there was no problem. The other problem was with a dedicated .22LR upper. A gas tube was obviously not needed and the teeth were not properly aligned (as to allow a gas tube to pass through the teeth). Once the barrel nut was adjusted, the rail fit fine.

Jake

P.s. in the interest of full disclosure, I'm selling some alpha rails.

officerX
03-14-13, 13:07
I'm using the 9" VTAC on my 10.5 upper and like it.

The_Hammer_Man
03-14-13, 16:40
The installation of the alpha series of tube is easy as hell. The tube comes with directions and as long as you understand english and can figure out the pics it's dead simple.

BUT, as was mentioned earlier, barrel nut orientation is critical! If it's not perfectly indexed you're going to have problems.

As far as the FSB is concerned.. if you only have a hacksaw and a file it might take you as long as 30 minutes to cut it down to low pro size and smooth it.

It will take longer for the paint you use to refinish the gas block to dry than it will take you to modify the gas block.

The Troy/Vtac tubes are getting to be pretty popular around here with LEO's so I've been busily modding FSB's.

encore4me
03-14-13, 18:51
My gas block is the type that has the picatinny rail on top and the bottom is just as wide.

encore4me
03-14-13, 18:53
15857here it is

socal511
03-15-13, 11:04
Just swap out that bulky gas block for a low profile one. Easy enough to do if you have basic tools and it won't cost much either.