PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the "Colt" of crossbows?

rushca01
03-10-13, 20:18
My family and I just purchased some land and for the first time I will have a guaranteed place to go hunt etc..In the past year or so IN changed the law to allow all hunters to take deer with crossbows. So I'm looking for the "Colt" of crossbows. Any SME's out there?

kry226
03-11-13, 13:16
Excalibur or Ten Point. The Ten Point will lay a hurtin' on your wallet though.

I shoot an Excalibur Phoenix.

luvmy40
03-11-13, 16:25
I'd say that Horton would be analogous to Colt. Ten Point or Excalibur would be more along the lines of Noveske or Wilson Combat.

I'm not a X-Bow shooter but the new reverse limb bows from Horton are looking like a bit of fun!

Dave James
03-11-13, 19:08
Horton, has made great strides, but I still don't want any thing expolding in front of my face, I don't like the reverse limb set up, the "Colt" of crossbows is Excailber, simple rugged and an excellent design, if you have to have a compound crossbow then Ten Point is the way to go, but your going to drop a grand or more to set up

Make sure you check your state regs on lenght of arms and poundage

Pop over to the Excaliber site/forum there are alot of people ther that will give you great advice and help on any you chose

Sevcrist
03-12-13, 19:58
As others have stated, Excalibur if you want a recurve and Ten Point if you want a compound.

rushca01
03-12-13, 20:12
Thanks for the replies. I stumbled onto Scorpyd, all of their bows are reverse draw. Apparently reverse draw gets you a longer power stroke, and handle/balance better than traditional crossbows.

SSGGlock
03-12-13, 20:26
Not the response I think you want, but couldn't resist with "Colt" in the title.

http://pse-archery.com/c/crossbows_tac-ordnance-crossbow

crossgun
03-13-13, 06:51
If you want the real honest answer I do! I have been designing and building hunting crossbows daily for more than 25 years.

Take a look at my newest offering here: www.camxcrossbows.com

Please feel free to contact us with any questions as we are more than happy to help. For me its not about the sale but helping you get what you want and that will fit your need.

I would say CAMX is more like Colt, DD, LMT, Larue and Noveske all wrapped in one with an Aimpoint on top. YUP its that good!

What's been listed is nothing more than Bushmaster and Rock River in AR terms.

kry226
03-14-13, 07:55

While I admit I know nothing good or bad regarding your crossbows, the above statement is a completely disingenuous, and by all accounts (except yours), inaccurate statement.

It's probably not the best way to drum up support for your product either. :)

rushca01
03-14-13, 09:15
At this time pretty sure I'm going to go with one of the scorpyd offerings.

rushca01
03-14-13, 15:18
So I want to the local sporting goods store to handle a couple. First thing I noticed is I can't stand the grips. Maybe I'm used to holding an AR style weapon but why do all the crossbows have thumb whole stocks?

kry226
03-15-13, 11:57
So I want to the local sporting goods store to handle a couple. First thing I noticed is I can't stand the grips. Maybe I'm used to holding an AR style weapon but why do all the crossbows have thumb whole stocks?

Because they're tacticool. You either love 'em or hate 'em, but you should be able to find a lot without the thumb hole.

domestique
03-16-13, 03:10
If you want the real honest answer I do! I have been designing and building hunting crossbows daily for more than 25 years.

Take a look at my newest offering here:

Please feel free to contact us with any questions as we are more than happy to help. For me its not about the sale but helping you get what you want and that will fit your need.

I would say CAMX is more like Colt, DD, LMT, Larue and Noveske all wrapped in one with an Aimpoint on top. YUP its that good!

I didn't realize Delton made crossbows!....a "shameless" plug for your own product..... classy! :p

All kidding aside (I am sure they are fine bows), it is probably not the best idea to slam other products while promoting your own.

To the OP,

I would have no problem owning any of the major companies that have been mentioned: Excalibur, Ten-Point, Horton. MY advice is to go to your local archery store and shoot a bunch of different desings and see what you like.

I have a Horton Fury (360 fps, reverse limb design). I love the reverse limb design for working in and around a climbing tree stand... not to mention they are more balanced as more of the weight is farther back.

specopsscout
03-17-13, 10:54
Here's one more vote for Scorpyd. After getting some time on a Vent 150, I'm saving my pennies for one from their line as well. I'm leaning a little harder toward the Velocity line, but the Ventilator was very nice. Along with being innovative, it was the nicest shooting crossbow I've ever fired.

rushca01
03-17-13, 10:58
Here's one more vote for Scorpyd. After getting some time on a Vent 150, I'm saving my pennies for one from their line as well. I'm leaning a little harder toward the Velocity line, but the Ventilator was very nice. Along with being innovative, it was the nicest shooting crossbow I've ever fired.

Only bugaboo with the scorpyd a is the collapsible stock. I realize its function, I wish there was a way to lock it in.

J-Dub
03-26-13, 21:12
Any reason you're set on a crossbow? Just curious.

I looked at crossbows, but have decided to go with a compound. You can get good useable bows (that will do anything i need them to do) for way less than a decent crossbow. Just something to think about.

Good luck in your search.

ryan
03-26-13, 21:17
Hoyt Carbon Element RKT.

Never mind, I read real bow not cross bow.

rushca01
03-26-13, 21:23
Any reason you're set on a crossbow? Just curious.

I looked at crossbows, but have decided to go with a compound. You can get good useable bows (that will do anything i need them to do) for way less than a decent crossbow. Just something to think about.

Good luck in your search.

I have a compound bow (Matthews), I used to shoot a lot of 3d archery and won my age brackets a couple of years in a row.

Indiana changed the hunting laws a few years ago to allow all hunters to use a crossbow. In general cross bows are easier to set up (from my research) as there is no need to paper tune like you do compounds.

My Matthews cost as much or more than the cross bows I'm looking at and that was the bare bow (add 150 for rest and a other couple hundred for sights etc...).

kry226
03-27-13, 07:42
I personally embrace any legal weapon that gets me out into the field hunting a little more. I hunt with rifles, pistols, compound bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, slug guns, etc, etc. Ready for each and every season.

sparkman
03-30-13, 15:28
TenPoint...

PA PATRIOT
03-31-13, 18:28
I've been hunting with a crossbow for close to 20 years and the best advice I can offer is the KISS method. Fancy limbs and cams which push a bolt to extreme speeds are not necessary and are harder to tune for the best accuracy.

The simple solid or split limb with a moderate profile cam which pushes a bolt from 285 Thu 310 FPS is all you need to deck a deer at reasonable archery ranges.

The biggest trick is to learn your bolts trajectory over distance and to make sure you balance velocity with bolt weight and use a robust broad head. My personal set up is a older Barnett Quad 300 Crossbow using 2219-XX75- 20's and 100gr expanding head. Old school compared with the more radical designs on the market but I can drive a bolt through a northern whitetail from any angle to 50 yards.

This set-up has dropped more deer with only simple maintenance being a new string every other season and for some lube.

VooDoo6Actual
04-11-13, 09:55
a lot of good suggestions here.
PSE makes some good KIT as well. I have hunted w/ it & done well.
Expensive but good accurate KIT.

http://pse-archery.com/c/crossbows

YMMV...

Ridgerunner665
08-05-13, 19:48
The "Colt" of crossbows...meaning good but not the very best...

Parker...made in the USA, hassle free warranty if you need it (you probably won't).

I have a Tornado F4, it seems to be great so far...I bought it on the advice of a FAR more experienced crossbow hunter than myself.

His exact words...if you want the best, buy an Excaliber....if you want the best bang for the buck and a smaller package (narrower)...buy a Parker.

EDIT: Damn...I did it again...brought one back from the dead...my apologies, I don't post here often, I just got to reading through threads and didn't even think about how old it was...LMAO, I started out researching the new Pmags, don't know how I ended up here.

JimmyB62
08-07-13, 14:25
EDIT: Damn...I did it again...brought one back from the dead...my apologies, I don't post here often, I just got to reading through threads and didn't even think about how old it was...LMAO, I started out researching the new Pmags, don't know how I ended up here.

It wasn't dead, it was still twitching and I appreciated your info.

Ridgerunner665
08-07-13, 14:37
It wasn't dead, it was still twitching and I appreciated your info.

This might interest you...its my ramblings and review of my bow.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1067802178

GSPKurt
09-01-13, 22:05
PSE makes a crossbow that goes on an AR lower. SWEET!! Either that or a Stryker.

lethal dose
09-01-13, 22:19
I'd say Skorpyd Ventilator 150 as far as being the best all around. Value, weight, etc. As far as the Colt of xbows... Horton.