PDA

View Full Version : Got old reloading equipment from my dad need help setting it up

ar15newb
03-10-13, 20:26
I have received some old reloading equipment from my dad. He only ever reloaded 223 and 38 rounds. The press, and scale say pacific on them. Looks like the dies are RCBS. I have never reloaded before and I need help on how to set all of this stuff up, as this is all, ( for lack better terminology) japanese to me. I want to start reloading for my 308 and for my 223 at least when I get my 223 that is. But I was wondering if anyone has advice on where to start or where to look for help setting all of this stuff up.
Thanks in advance for everything!

clicker
03-10-13, 20:48
The pacific is an old single stage isnt it? A few things you should pick up.
A loading manual from whoever.
A set of calipers.
A priming tool (rcbs makes a nice hand primer for about 40 bucks)
A case trimmer and a few other case prep tools.
A set of dies for your 308 and you will be rolling.
You can get most if not all of this stuff for less than a couple hundred bucks but I would say its the bare minimum to get you started IMHO.

ar15newb
03-10-13, 21:00
Also there are a lot of old small rifle and handgun primers. Do these go bad or are they usable? If they do go bad how do I dispose of them properly?

theblackknight
03-10-13, 21:01
The ABCs of reloading is a good book for reference.

However, a single stage will do great for quality ammo, but if you expect to load a high volume of 223, your gonna have a bad time. Many old timers will tell you a single stage is great for learning and blah blah but realize most reloaders are extremly OCD and have just found a "healthy" outlet for it.

Also realize a lot of them are reloaders 1st and shooters 2nd. They buy new calibers for the heck of it, and then find a gun to shoot it thru. This is great if you need a certain type of performance, but most "reloaders 1st" simply do because they want to. These people are a great source of knowledge but it is often tinged thru their view, not a "shooters view".

Reloading any brass that has a bottle neck (not straight wall) takes more time because you have to check and maybe trim the length of the case AFTER you resize and decap(step 1) because the brass stretched and elongates during the firing cycle.

If you only plan on making hunting loads or benchrest style shooting, your press will be great. If you shoot any kind of high volume type of training, youl prob end up adding a turret or progressive later.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

ar15newb
03-10-13, 21:15
Thanks blackknight. Great information. I am mainly going to reload for precision, hunting, varmits, and predator stuff right now. When I am ready to reload lots of quantity of ammo, I will look into upgrading to a progressive style press.

Colt guy
03-10-13, 21:31

However, a single stage will do great for quality ammo, but if you expect to load a high volume of 223, your gonna have a bad time. Many old timers will tell you a single stage is great for learning and blah blah but realize most reloaders are extremly OCD and have just found a "healthy" outlet for it.

Also realize a lot of them are reloaders 1st and shooters 2nd. They buy new calibers for the heck of it, and then find a gun to shoot it thru. This is great if you need a certain type of performance, but most "reloaders 1st" simply do because they want to. These people are a great source of knowledge but it is often tinged thru their view, not a "shooters view".

Reloading any brass that has a bottle neck (not straight wall) takes more time because you have to check and maybe trim the length of the case AFTER you resize and decap(step 1) because the brass stretched and elongates during the firing cycle.

If you only plan on making hunting loads or benchrest style shooting, your press will be great. If you shoot any kind of high volume type of training, youl prob end up adding a turret or progressive later.

Wow that's the best description of a die hard reloader yet

:laugh:

Back on topic.. Get a book or two and do some reading then find a reloader to take you over the basics at least once.

bulbvivid
03-10-13, 22:00
See if the model you have happens to be listed on this page:
http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/Reloaders.htm

Colt guy
03-10-13, 22:10
This is my Pacific Press New in 1982, Hornady now owns and makes them.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/rgerh913/Posted/8b227033-aedf-41a3-9ba2-214a2d3a30a4.jpg

ar15newb
03-10-13, 22:11
It is on that list, it is the power c press. Also, again does anyone know if primers go bad and if so how do I dispose of them properly?

Colt guy
03-10-13, 22:18
The primers are more then likely fine, if they were stored in a cool dry area. Load a couple up and see. I would not use them for any kind of self defense loads but would be fine for using up.

Power C that is an old press and would be interesting to load with.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/rgerh913/Pacifi134.jpg

ar15newb
03-10-13, 22:51
Good interesting or bad interesting to load with? lol

Colt guy
03-10-13, 22:58
Good interesting or bad interesting to load with? lol

GOOD

It would be interesting to use, I have yet to use one that old but it should work just fine.

ar15newb
03-10-13, 23:03
Sweet i'm pretty excited to get a bench all setup and start loading up some handload's for my sps tactical 308.

run&gun
03-10-13, 23:06

No kidding this is spot on. Everyone intending to get started in reloading should read this.

jstone
03-11-13, 03:32
Listen to what blacknight said especially the part about the abc's of reloading. It Will give you step by step instructions on how to set up everything you have step by step. It also has information that is priceless. I have been loading since i was 15 and my neighbor taught me, and i still find myself referring back to it.

Another great resource is 6mmbr. Check out the reloading section and find the ladder test/ ocw test. They are simple ways to find your nodes without using a lot of components. They also have pages for certain rounds. If you go to the 223 page there is a section on loading with lots of valuable information. They have one for 308 as well.

If you plan on loading for the foreseeable future pick up a progressive press along with your single stage. It is always nice to have a single stage for tasks that require more leverage.

ar15newb
03-21-13, 21:53
RCBS dies or Hornady dies? I am getting a 308 winchester set for now. Is one set better than another? What are the main differences? Is one easier to setup than the other?