PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Gen4 or Gen 3

akela
03-11-13, 00:15
I have the opportunity to get Glock 19 Gen 3 while I would have to waite for a while to get Glock Gen 4. I have read various posts comparing the two models and really did not see enough of a difference to strongly prefer Gen 4. Any opinions?

unclerandy
03-11-13, 01:14
If you dont mind the wait, might as well get the newest model possible.

Airhasz
03-11-13, 01:55
I own the gen 3. I have no complaints with it so I would not go with a gen 4 and change what I already know works for me...ymmv

Bodhi
03-11-13, 02:20
Gen 3 here, no complaints. If you're worried about the BTF issue, I know that mine doesn't have it and the serial begins with TTP, I rented a gen 3 glock 19 at the range and the serial number began with an "S," it had BTF.

The gen 4 is nice because of the extended mag release already there, so there's no need for that, and the ambidexterity is nice...

What's available for you? Here in CA, the gen 4 isn't on the roster, so getting one is a bit tough - but doable though SSE or PPT...

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 04:12
Gen4 for multiple reasons.

Better recoil control. Better accuracy. Better stock magazine release. APEX extractor kits, already available. Better grip texture. Multiple backstrap sizes. Theoretically better performance with suppressor reliability due to dual spring system. No tangible advantage to Gen3 guns over Gen4, other than aftermarket guide rod kits. Opinions may vary.

Psalms144.1
03-11-13, 05:25
The Gen4 had more than its fair share of growing pains, but, unfortunately, the 3rd Gen G19s inherited those problems along with the newer series, and it appears, to me, that Glock has been more focused on getting the Gen4s up and running.

I prefer the Gen4 grip without backstrap, and the texturing on the Gen4 - much grippier than the old 3rd Gen style. I'm unconvinced about any real advantage to the dual recoil spring setup, after extensively shooting 3rd Gen and Gen4 guns side-by-side. I think the stock trigger on the latest Gen4s is better than the 3rd Gen triggers, but not so much as to make it a major advantage. The stock magazine release on the Gen4 is much better for me; and vastly improved with a Vickers' unit installed.

Having said all that, with the current political climate, a 3rd Gen in the hand may be worth a lot more than 2 Gen4s in the bush...

Regards,

Kevin

PLCedeno
03-11-13, 05:39
My Gen4 G19 hit 4800 rounds yesterday. Never had a problem. I will say that compared to my wife's Gen 3, it really does feel slightly more controllable. Also compare it to the Gen4 G17 for size. For me the 17 fits better.

svtpwnz
03-11-13, 06:38
I prefer the gen4 models myself. Better grip texture, extra mag, interchangable back straps and the various reasons mentioned by others in this thread.

Voodoo_Man
03-11-13, 06:39
I have a few gen4 glocks.

My g4 g19 is my edc and has over 10k rounds and I just ordered an apex extractor. I've had brass hit me in the face a few times here and there, but nothing consistent - this is the only g4 glock that does this that I have, and I attribute it to it being made in that small window that has issues with extractors. Find the serial number and check online (there should be a link somewhere if you google it) to see if its in that range, if it is, buy an apex, if its not great, either way its a great gun.

They are both great guns.

BioLayne
03-11-13, 09:57
just weighing in with my own personal data point here: gen 3 g19 with 5k rounds through it since I bought it in July with zero malfunctions. Very predictable and regular ejection pattern.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-11-13, 09:57
I have chopped up the grips on every glock I own, so for me the Gen 4 holds nothing special. I have big hands and have a gen 4 g21 in the safe right now that's going to my father in law, I cant see ever wanting to use the supplied grip extensions.

jmnielsen
03-11-13, 10:55
I have a gen3. Serial THN*** with a spent casing dated in 9/12. I realize I don't have as many rounds down range as others but I'm nearing 2k with no BTF and no malfunctions. I don't see why someone would want to wait for a gen4 unless they really wanted the adjustable back straps or already had a gen3 and wanted a gen4. I would buy whatever I came across first at a decent price.

T2C
03-11-13, 11:13
I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 and have never used the grip extensions. I haven't noticed any reduction in felt recoil when compared to a Gen 3.

Mike169
03-11-13, 11:30
I have the opportunity to get Glock 19 Gen 3 while I would have to waite for a while to get Glock Gen 4. I have read various posts comparing the two models and really did not see enough of a difference to strongly prefer Gen 4. Any opinions?

I loved my 4, a very flat shooting weapon. There was one exception though, one that drives me to get a gen 3 next time. IWB carry of the gen4 grip is uncomfortable for my love handles.

Cosmo M3
03-11-13, 11:31
I have both

Gen 4 hands down

jonconsiglio
03-11-13, 13:17
I've owned both in the 17 and shot both in the 9. I notice no difference in recoil unless I'm standing still at an indoor range trying to feel the difference.

While I like the gen 4 grip texture better, the gen 3 is fine for me even in the rain. The mag release is noticeable, but I've never once fumbled a magazine release with the gen 3.

The gen 3 guns I've owned and shot are very accurate and notice no difference between the 3 and 4.

I think suppressors on handguns are silly (even though I own a coupe) unless you have a true need, so I would never base a decision on that. Ever.

If both were sitting on the shelf at my local shop and I could put a few mags through each to verify it's at least not starting with any of the known issues, I MAY take the gen 4 just because I do like the way it feels in hand, but ONLY for that reason.

If all that was available at that moment was a gen 3, I'd take that. You can always do some very mild grip work if texture is a big deal. Over the years of stippling, grip tape and different models, I've come all this way just to find out I'm ok with a gen 3 and if I really need to, can stipple a couple small contact areas and be good to go.

mattg1024
03-11-13, 13:20
I like the feel of the Gen4 better. Also like the larger mag release.

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 17:21
I think suppressors on handguns are silly (even though I own a coupe) unless you have a true need, so I would never base a decision on that. Ever.

I have a suppressed pistol as an HD gun, as I feel it carries a huge advantage of situational awareness. IMHO, it's a valid consideration.

(My SBRs aren't zeroed at the moment, otherwise they'd be the HD gun.)

jonconsiglio
03-11-13, 17:35
I have a suppressed pistol as an HD gun, as I feel it carries a huge advantage of situational awareness. IMHO, it's a valid consideration.

(My SBRs aren't zeroed at the moment, otherwise they'd be the HD gun.)

I've fired a handgun indoors with no ear protection. Still had great situational awareness. Adding 6" to the end of my handgun just adds unnecessary bulk when I need to holster my gun.

Can't be too hard to zero an SBR for indoor use. Bore sight it and you'll be more than fine. Why do you have rifles sitting there not zeroed? If my irons are zeroed, any optic can easily be zeroed at home.

Beat Trash
03-11-13, 17:44
All things being equal, I'd go for a gen4. But with the current climent, things are definately NOT equal. I would get the gen3 that is available now.

If and when you might find a gen4 available, then consider buying it at that time. You can easily get your money back if you decide to own only one pistol and sell off the Generation of Glock 19 you like the least.

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 17:49
I've fired a handgun indoors with no ear protection. Still had great situational awareness. Adding 6" to the end of my handgun just adds unnecessary bulk when I need to holster my gun.

I've only fired a pistol indoors once or twice, without hearing protection, and it sucked. I'm not sure I would've been alert enough to hear a door open/close, other footsteps, ect. I feel as though it helps me.

Can't be too hard to zero an SBR for indoor use. Bore sight it and you'll be more than fine. Why do you have rifles sitting there not zeroed? If my irons are zeroed, any optic can easily be zeroed at home.

My main gun isn't zeroed because last I was shooting it, we removed the irons, and I was practicing shooting with a 2.5-10X NXS, and for whatever reason ended up not sticking the rear BUIS, or Aimpoint on it to re-zero it before I went home, so hopefully I'll be doing that this weekend. My second SBR just got a URX 3.1 MID (best gift ever) put on it, and hasn't gotten to be zeroed. My third SBR has been taken apart so I can eventually throw another URX 3.1 MID on it.

I've only been home for about two weeks or so, and haven't been to the range yet.

jonconsiglio
03-11-13, 18:01
Put your irons back on. If you push forward when you install them, they'll likely be very, very close to zeroed. If the Aimpoint was just removed and no adjustments made, same thing, it'll be fine.

As for not hearing footsteps after firing, you must have shot a canon indoors. I've shot 9mm numerous times and can easily still hear what's going on around me. On top of that, after firing, chances are slim you'll still need to go silent to listen for footsteps.

At most, I've gotten a slight ringing that did not interfere with hearing. I've cracked off 5.56 inside a vehicle (more regularly than I should) and been able to hear just fine.

I just don't get adding all that length to a pistol, making your holster about useless, just to cut it down to a point that is still loud indoors anyway and may still cause slight ringing. Especially if you go hands on with someone.

Shit, I'd be content with one of my rifles (short or long, doesn't much matter to me as I can navigate fine with a 14.5" though the 9" 300 that'll be here this week might fill that role after a bit) with no irons or optics if it came down to it and just a light. Throw a set of mechanical zeroed irons on it, and it;ll work fine indoors.

Sounds like some close range testing is in order for you after removing all that gear then reinstalling it.

Out of curiosity, why did you remove the irons to run a variable optic?

I've popped off my T1 and ran an ACOG TA31 or the Nightforce 1-4 then switched right back to my Aimpoint with no issues. Plus, never needed to remove my irons.

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 18:10
Put your irons back on. If you push forward when you install them, they'll likely be very, very close to zeroed. If the Aimpoint was just removed and no adjustments made, same thing, it'll be fine.

As for not hearing footsteps after firing, you must have shot a canon indoors. I've shot 9mm numerous times and can easily still hear what's going on around me. On top of that, after firing, chances are slim you'll still need to go silent to listen for footsteps.

At most, I've gotten a slight ringing that did not interfere with hearing. I've cracked off 5.56 inside a vehicle (more regularly than I should) and been able to hear just fine.

I just don't get adding all that length to a pistol, making your holster about useless, just to cut it down to a point that is still loud indoors anyway and may still cause slight ringing. Especially if you go hands on with someone.

Shit, I'd be content with one of my rifles (short or long, doesn't much matter to me as I can navigate fine with a 14.5" though the 9" 300 that'll be here this week might fill that role after a bit) with no irons or optics if it came down to it and just a light. Throw a set of mechanical zeroed irons on it, and it;ll work fine indoors.

Sounds like some close range testing is in order for you after removing all that gear then reinstalling it.

Out of curiosity, why did you remove the irons to run a variable optic?

I've popped off my T1 and ran an ACOG TA31 or the Nightforce 1-4 then switched right back to my Aimpoint with no issues. Plus, never needed to remove my irons.

For the NXS thing, I was trying to see if I could make hits at 700m with 75 gr. TAP with an 11.5''. I have discovered that I am incapable of doing so. We were playing around with longer range stuff all day that day, and I was the only one with an SBR. So it happened. Lol.

I removed the rear BUIS because the mount that we had made the scope sit really far forward, and we weren't about to sit around and pull it apart to stick it optic on backwards and flip it. It was just the easiest solution at the time.

When it comes to shooting indoors without hearing protection, I'm just paranoid as shit when it comes to losing hearing. So I haven't done it a whole lot.

Overall. I see your point. Later today, I'll toss on my rear BUIS, and T-1 on, and see if they still match up. (I've never been 100% trusting of return to zero functions, and I'm used to always confirming zeroes.)

Another reason (and maybe a factor) with pistol suppressors for me, is that I just like them. (Although I'd always take a rifle over a pistol if possible.)

Could you still hear relatively normally after lighting off 5.56mm in a car?

packinaglock
03-11-13, 18:25
I've only fired a pistol indoors once or twice, without hearing protection, and it sucked. I'm not sure I would've been alert enough to hear a door open/close, other footsteps, ect. I feel as though it helps me.

My main gun isn't zeroed because last I was shooting it, we removed the irons, and I was practicing shooting with a 2.5-10X NXS, and for whatever reason ended up not sticking the rear BUIS, or Aimpoint on it to re-zero it before I went home, so hopefully I'll be doing that this weekend. My second SBR just got a URX 3.1 MID (best gift ever) put on it, and hasn't gotten to be zeroed. My third SBR has been taken apart so I can eventually throw another URX 3.1 MID on it.

I've only been home for about two weeks or so, and haven't been to the range yet.

I have both, my gen3 G19 is an older one (around 2001) no BTF issues back then. My gen4 G19 doesn't have any BTF issues yet. I use small bike inttertube for my gen3 grip and it works well, very tight and a bitch to get on, so no sliding around. Both work well and I have a hard time chosing between the two. Magic, the reason I quoted you is the comment about firing the 9mm indoors without hearing protection. I've never done this, I did it lots of times as a kid outdoors but never indoors. I EDC my G32 quite a bit and keep it near me at night while I sleep. I sometimes wonder if this would affect my hearing if I ever needed to use it in the house. It sounds like even the 9mm was quite a bitch IYO, the 357 sig may have enough crack to do permanent damage perhaps?

jonconsiglio
03-11-13, 18:26
Could you still hear relatively normally after lighting off 5.56mm in a car?

Yeah. Did the same with an AK with a brake as well. Could hear just fine. Munch520 was there as well. Now, another guy was next to the muzzle (a few feet away and too the side) who didn't have any ear protection on and the brake shook him up a bit. His ear was ringing for a while and hurt a bit, but it was fine and he could still hear ok.

I fully support wearing ear protection, but occasionally when we're out driving around in the dark and all of a sudden come up on a group of hogs, it might happen too quick to get them back on. I don't recommend it, just something that happens, even though I use electronic ear pro.

Usually we get the muzzle out the window.... Usually.

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 18:36
It sounds like even the 9mm was quite a bitch IYO, the 357 sig may have enough crack to do permanent damage perhaps?

It's not the worst thing in the entire world, but I'd prefer to avoid it. I've never shot 357 SIG without hearing protection, so I couldn't comment on it. But I'd imagine it'd be okay for a few rounds.

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 18:37
Yeah. Did the same with an AK with a brake as well. Could hear just fine. Munch520 was there as well. Now, another guy was next to the muzzle (a few feet away and too the side) who didn't have any ear protection on and the brake shook him up a bit. His ear was ringing for a while and hurt a bit, but it was fine and he could still hear ok.

I fully support wearing ear protection, but occasionally when we're out driving around in the dark and all of a sudden come up on a group of hogs, it might happen too quick to get them back on. I don't recommend it, just something that happens, even though I use electronic ear pro.

That's good to know. I might have to try it if I get the chance.

Usually we get the muzzle out the window.... Usually.

:lol:

DAVID RICHARDS
03-12-13, 11:32
The GEN4's smaller grip makes the Glock finally fit a lot of people's hands that it never used to. The new gripping surface is less slick. And the extended mag button is nice. If the GEN3 doesn't fit your hand it's worth it. And if you have problems the GEN4's are often easier to fix. Otherwise a bird in the hand....

White.Lightning
03-12-13, 14:10
I plan on getting a Gen4 Glock19, but for the reason that I am left handed and wish to flip the mag release. This is probably not your case. Regardless.......

You need to ask yourself if you want the gun NOW, or can wait. If you need it NOW, get the Gen3. Otherwise, I'd wait and get the Gen4 for the reasons mentioned above.