PDA

View Full Version : M&P and Dawson Precision sights, help needed

eightmillimeter
03-11-13, 00:22
There has to be someone here who has installed one of the DP adjustable rear sight along with a matching DP front on an M&P.

DP recommends .285 to .305 tall front, I am not sure how much clearance I have in my Safariland duty holster so I would automatically order the shorter sight. Clearance for the rear sight seems adequate.

Has anyone had issues with the shorter front sight and the adjustable rear that could not be overcome by the adjustment in the rear sight, I would like to zero at 25 yards.

Also, due to policy I am limited to three-dot tritium, as much as would like to try the plain black rear it is not an option. I know most here would also prefer the plain serrated rear but if anyone has DP night sights please chime in on how you like them.

I did some searching but came up dry. Any help, especially pics of a .285 front sight installed on the pistol would be greatly appreciated... I kind of need to make sure this thing will still fit in my holster with the taller than factory front sight.

ChuckTait
03-11-13, 01:16
I don't have any experience with Dawson adjustable, but over at Brian Enos Forum (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx) they seem to reached consensus on .265 for the 5" Pros. They're mostly competitive shooter forum, but you might want to drop by and ask if anyone has experience installing Dawson adjustable on 4.25" gun.

Mind if I ask why you want an adjustable sight on your duty weapon? I've had my set-screwed rear sight on my M&P knocked over almost 1/8 of an inch. I'd hate to see how adjustable sight would have faired in that situation.

eightmillimeter
03-13-13, 00:37
I don't have any experience with Dawson adjustable, but over at Brian Enos Forum (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx) they seem to reached consensus on .265 for the 5" Pros. They're mostly competitive shooter forum, but you might want to drop by and ask if anyone has experience installing Dawson adjustable on 4.25" gun.

Mind if I ask why you want an adjustable sight on your duty weapon? I've had my set-screwed rear sight on my M&P knocked over almost 1/8 of an inch. I'd hate to see how adjustable sight would have faired in that situation.

I am not a member there but I may see what I come up with.

That is a fair question. I'll try to answer it. First, our M&P's will be ten years old in three years and will be replaced, at which time I will buy my gun. I like the gun and will continue to shoot it but the first thing that will happen at that point is a few currently prohibited changes... APEX comes to mind. Sights I can get away with changing, and I might as well spend the money one time, instead of spending it again when I buy the gun. My front sight already needs replacement, so its time to step up and get something good. Second, I prefer adjustable sights. Being a life long rifle shooter who meticulously zeroes every gun I have, I can't overlook that when I shoot pistols. My factory sights shoot about 3" low at 25 yards and it pisses me off to no end. Also, with the ammunition supply so tight we may have to switch duty ammo, and having adjustables would help to stay precisely zeroed in the event of an ammo change. I have had my sight moved as well, and I have since lost faith in the set screw in the rear sight, I would plan on installing the sights with a good tight fit so that does not happen. The DP sights are steel and I would think they would tolerate most of the abuse they would happen to encounter over the next three years.

But the question remains, will that front sight fit in my holster? This is perhaps the most important because I cannot use a different holster, that would not go over well with my department.

okie john
03-13-13, 01:05
Being a life long rifle shooter who meticulously zeroes every gun I have, I can't overlook that when I shoot pistols. My factory sights shoot about 3" low at 25 yards and it pisses me off to no end. Also, with the ammunition supply so tight we may have to switch duty ammo, and having adjustables would help to stay precisely zeroed in the event of an ammo change.

I can't help on the holster issue, but I'm 100% behind you on the adjustable sights. Far too few people understand the benefits of having a precisely zeroed pistol. It'is almost like cheating.

Okie John