PDA

View Full Version : Lancer translucent polymer mags on sale now

variablebinary
03-17-08, 01:18
Looks like Magpul got scooped.

The direct head to head testing between the L5 and PMAG will be very interesting

Info: http://www.lancer-systems.com/L5.html

Where to buy: www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Lancer_L5_.223_AR15_M16_30rd_Polymer_Magazine.html

Not my pic, but this is it

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/akim85/DSC00201.jpg

RogerinTPA
03-17-08, 10:34
It looks promising, but I'll have to adopt the "Wait and See" approach to see if its indeed a good value and a good product from other members experience. Besides, I have a crap load of Pmags. Their not going to wear out anytime soon.

molsen
03-17-08, 10:42
Looks like Magpul got scooped.

Yeah, I don't think so. Lancer Systems all but admitted at SHOT that some bug sprays and lotions are known to seperate the metal feed lips from the plastic body.

Magpul is the only polymer mag on the market as far as I'm concerned. The rest are all gimmicks.

markm
03-17-08, 10:53
Yeah, I don't think so.

Same here. The lancer might be a great mag... who knows yet?

I'll stick to the PMAG at this point.

Severian
03-17-08, 13:11
blank

Shihan
03-17-08, 13:12
Yeah, I don't think so. Lancer Systems all but admitted at SHOT that some bug sprays and lotions are known to seperate the metal feed lips from the plastic body.

Magpul is the only polymer mag on the market as far as I'm concerned. The rest are all gimmicks.

Which ones do that?

Trim2L
03-17-08, 13:23

Are the metal feedlips bonded to the plastic or are they molded in?

PMAGs are the first polymer M16 magazine I've ever considered as viable and that was only after they were heavily tested.

C4IGrant
03-17-08, 15:02
Are the metal feedlips bonded to the plastic or are they molded in?

PMAGs are the first polymer M16 magazine I've ever considered as viable and that was only after they were heavily tested.

Molded in.

C4

variablebinary
03-17-08, 17:37
Molded in.

C4

Will you be carrying these mags?

Trim2L
03-17-08, 17:39
Molded in.

C4

If the lips are molded in how can bug spray cause them to come loose unless its melting the plastic?

BSAGCA
03-17-08, 21:55
I have worked for LRP at shows but I am not an employee just a friend of the owner. I re-read the rules and I don't think posting that LRP is a distibutor is a rule infraction. If so, please delete. I am talking with him about becoming a dealer on the site.

Another distributor who said he will have a couple hundred in stock next week is Roy Long of Long Range Precision 919-219-4135. Roy said he will have some Lancers at the Ant Hill Range subgun match in Southport, NC Mar 28-30 for T&E if anyone is going to be there.

The info below is from the FAQ on the Lancers on the chemical reaction with the plastic around the feed lips. Since the rest of the mag is not affected it must be reacting with the metal. Interesting that it must be direct contact and not transfer from hands that causes issues.

How well does the L5 stand up to typical weapon cleaning solvents / lubricating oils?
We’ve tested most of the commonly available weapon cleaning solvent and lubricating oils and have found no adverse effect on the body. The following products
have been tested:
• Carbon Removing Compound (CRC)
• WD40
• Gunzilla
• Hoppes No. 9
• Militec
• CLP/Break-Free
• Cleaning Compound, MIL-l-372B
How well does the L5 stand up to automotive or other chemicals that might come into contact with the L5?
We’ve tested numerous chemicals, solvents and insect repellents and found certain chemicals do have an adverse effect. Details are outlined below.
Tested with some reaction:
Insect repellents containing DEET can damage the magazine. Avoid direct contact of the feed lips and the plastic around the feed lips with DEET or insect repellents
containing DEET. If DEET is sprayed or directly applied to the plastic around, or covering the feed lips it will crack and become unusable. If DEET is accidentally
applied directly to these areas, clean immediately and inspect for damage. DEET will not affect the rest of the body and other components of the
magazine.
Secondary exposure, getting it on your hands and then touching the feed lip area, will have no effect to the magazine.
The effects of DEET can be reduced, but not completely eliminated by using CLP or similar penetrating oils. Apply CLP to the feed lips and plastic covering the
feed lips prior to potential exposure. Wipe dry prior to use. Avoid direct contact, but If DEET is accidentally sprayed or applied directly to the feed lips or surrounding
plastic, clean immediately. Minor cracks or grazing might appear, they may not affect the functionality of the magazine. If severe cracking appears, do not use.
Hydraulic Oil (Skydrol), MIL-H-46170B – Skydrol can damage the magazine. Avoid exposing the feed lips and the plastic around the feed lips to Skydrol. If exposed
the plastic around or covering the feed lips will crack and become unusable. If the areas are exposed, clean immediately and inspect for damage. Skydrol
has no effect on the other parts of the body and magazine components.
Chemicals tested with no adverse effect:
• Gasoline
• Kerosene
• Diesel fuel (high/low sulfur)
• Turbine fuel
• Dry cleaning solvent (Naphtha) P-D-680
• Lube Oil, VV-L-800 oil
• Hydraulic Oil, MIL-H-5606
• Anti-freeze, MIL-A-46153

AnchorArmament
03-18-08, 11:00
These are shipping from vendors today. Street price is $19. Much better than the $25 retail.

There should be some magazines coming out in the near future with reviews of them. I know a big name small arms manufacturer just took delivery of several thousand of them. They think they are good to go.

I've been impressed with them and the Pmag both. Polymers have come a long way since the Orlite and Thermolds.

We should see a couple more plastics mags from other manufacturers in the near future. Plastic mags will be the rule. I'll miss my old USGI aluminum mags.

C4IGrant
03-18-08, 11:52
If the lips are molded in how can bug spray cause them to come loose unless its melting the plastic?

I don't think they can.

C4

C4IGrant
03-18-08, 11:53
Will you be carrying these mags?

I am planning on it.

C4

SIGfest
03-18-08, 21:51
This interjection may be insightful or nor--I have a metal detecter that needed a new handle. Called and got it. Fit almost OK. I wanted it a little tighter, so I put blue LocTite in the threads of the plastic handle. By am, the screws had totally given way and the new handle was ruined. The plastic basically started to disintegrate. Go figure. Some things can harm plastics.

LancerSystems
03-27-08, 13:47

We have been very open and honest about our chemical compatibility tests. DEET affected the feedlip area when directly applied. If you are in the habit of spraying your equipment down with DEET it could impact the feedlip area. If you have it on your hands and there is a secondary exposure while you are loading the magazine it should not be a problem.

If want to learn more about the L5 you look us up at www.lancer-systems.com/L5.html .

Greg

Shihan
03-27-08, 16:45
We have been very open and honest about our chemical compatibility tests. DEET affected the feedlip area when directly applied. If you are in the habit of spraying your equipment down with DEET it could impact the feedlip area. If you have it on your hands and there is a secondary exposure while you are loading the magazine it should not be a problem.

If want to learn more about the L5 you look us up at www.lancer-systems.com/L5.html .

Greg

Hey Greg welcome to the forum and BTW thanks for the contribution to the raffle. For those of you that dont know Greg he is a stand up guy.

LancerSystems
03-27-08, 17:03
Thanks! We are glad to be part of this forum...talking with Grant early on was a big reason we are joining. It's been interesting so far and we look forward to hearing good and bad from the users. This is a great tool to help us make not only the L5 a better product but also our future releases...

Greg

AnchorArmament
03-27-08, 17:12
For those of you that dont know Greg he is a stand up guy.

Roger that. Greg is one of the good guys. Thanks for everything you've done to get the L5 mags out to customers.